Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Anyone had this happen to them? It just started for me. The load screen finishes almost instantly and basically everything is missing. You have to reload to geoscape and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

LW2's biggest issue is that it has the same issues as LW1.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Node posted:

I've been glancing over all the LW2 posts since it came out and it really seems like the overwhelming response to it is that its too frustrating and not enough fun. Are the people having a blast with this mod just keeping quiet or something?
Or a lot of people are having fun with it but also having some frustrations that they post about here. Not every "goddamnit Thin Men just crit me through cover!" post from vEU came with "but I'm still liking the game" as a disclaimer either. I like it. I also think it needs a lot of tweaks.

e: vvvv Yeah I had a lot of fun with running gunfights/flashbangs to the evac after popping an objective. Not being forced to kill all the aliens is neat.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 22, 2017

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bremen posted:

Personally, I've been playing basically nothing except LW2 since it came out, and am now nearly a hundred missions in to a commander difficulty game (didn't find it particularly difficult, either, which is why I'm kind of surprised so many are complaining about the difficulty; I guess my playstyle just works for it).

If people don't like it, that's fine. It's definitely about turning the much more streamlined XCOM2 into a more complex, old school style strategy game, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who love XCOM2 who wont like the changes.

This is basically my impression of it. I like all the cool new abilities that give you a lot more control over the situation, and infiltration is a cool mechanic that presents a lot of interesting choices. The way the geoscape is presented needs a lot of work, but once you know how it works, it's fun.

I also like the new missions, and how fewer of them have an "okay now kill everything" objective. You also have more timerless mission types, which are a nice change of pace.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 22, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

One of the biggest challenges is coming from Vanilla to LW2 and having to change how you look at and play the game, which is where a lot of us are getting stuck.

It took me probably 2-3 games to get to a point where (I think) I've figured everything out and can feel comfortable that I have a handle on the mechanics and such. LW2 seems fairly unforgiving (to an extent), you can recover from lost missions/lost soldier, obviously there's a breaking point where you've lost too much to have a chance, but there are also less obvious factors than losing soldiers/missions that will lead to your slow demise.

Abuse the black market, I haven't tracked it, but typically within the first few months you will get bonus sales for advent trooper corpses and you want to sell the gently caress out of those and some other stuff to, that way you can afford AWC, radio comms and your weapon/armor upgrades. Once you have a few regions pumping out supply it will be required less, but until you do, sell poo poo you don't need.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

So, I finished Vanilla last year and didn't touch the game again until LW2 came about. I have to say, the mod has rekindled my enjoyment for the game again.

I am not, however, a masochist and have resorted to less than honorable things:
- savescumming on total fails / high-ranking soldiers dying, b/c gently caress scrapping all that progress, especially with the length of injuries
- extra mods to ease the pain (namely hackplus, total concealment and non-perpetual dark events).

Some things are really obscure and the game doesn't do a good job on giving you information about them; I only knew about liberation missions because of this thread -- and out of the 9 zones I have made contact with, only one is liberated.

Also, gently caress Vipers... their grab attack should be less accurate / have a shorter range or be at least an automatic fail on soldiers with Bladestorm.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The biggest 'gently caress you' that LW2 does is it bottlenecks you at Codexes, you basically have zero chance to ever see one past the first unless you just wait forever through reinforcement waves.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The biggest 'gently caress you' that LW2 does is it bottlenecks you at Codexes, you basically have zero chance to ever see one past the first unless you just wait forever through reinforcement waves.

They seem to have a higher chance to show up on story missions. I got my Avatar corpse from the Psi Gate mission. But yeah I'm about to end my Commander campaign and I've seen maybe 10 since skulljacking an officer sometime in summer.

I also like how the narrative just completely breaks down at the end game. Once I started the final run of story missions I stopped caring about my havens and have just let them burn. ADVENT is retaking the world and I could not be hosed to save them, because all I really want to do is spin the plate until I get the last pistol skills trained on my sharpshooter.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i am enjoying longwar2 after not touching xcom2 in over a year. playing long war2 with some mods. the one that's helped mostly is the countdown timer not starting until you're out of concealment. that has made the matches much more balanced for me to enjoy playing this game. i think i'm just on the normal default difficulty setting and i _always_ run into some fight that takes 1 round too long, or reinforcements keep coming and i can't both dispatch that pod and get to the evac point, or i dispatch them but another pod comes around. this mod makes it a bit "fairer" to me. would love to see videos of people dealing with the short timer while being able to deal with pods.

one mechanic of xcom2 i still hate is flanking. i feel the game really discourages you from doing it because the penalty for triggering a pod is way too great. i'm always excited when i can get a nice flank without using a shinobi felch

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

would love to see videos of people dealing with the short timer while being able to deal with pods.

watch xwynns in youtube. He's pretty great at the game and does a good job of talking through what he's thinking.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Did the game update today? All of a sudden the alternative mod manager isn't loading for me.

Edit: this is my error.log

code:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack:
   at XCOM2Launcher.Program.InitializeSettings()
   at XCOM2Launcher.Program.Main()

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 23, 2017

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Did the game update today? All of a sudden the alternative mod manager isn't loading for me.

Edit: this is my error.log

code:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Stack:
   at XCOM2Launcher.Program.InitializeSettings()
   at XCOM2Launcher.Program.Main()

That'd make sense considering mine is totally broken right now on the tac layer.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Base game. Does Faceoff not benefit from special ammo? I'm playing with a mostly gunslinger Sharpshooter, and have him equipped with poison rounds. A couple times I got fancy, put him on the front lines, and had him faceoff a bunch of living targets, but none of them got poisoned. I know the poison rounds work with a regular pistol shot, but it doesn't appear to with faceoff?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Node posted:

Base game. Does Faceoff not benefit from special ammo? I'm playing with a mostly gunslinger Sharpshooter, and have him equipped with poison rounds. A couple times I got fancy, put him on the front lines, and had him faceoff a bunch of living targets, but none of them got poisoned. I know the poison rounds work with a regular pistol shot, but it doesn't appear to with faceoff?

It ought to?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Node posted:

I dont recall how it works in base game, but I know in LW2 the special effect (poison for venom, fire for dragon) only procs on the first enemy hit. The bonus damage applies to every hit. I dont think thats LW2 balancing, I think thats a vanilla issue carried over.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ah, Christ, why did I take this mission. Alien Conditioning counter-mission unveiled with 2 days remaining, so I send a squad of 8 in with new Predator Armors and Laser-tier weaponry. Moderate-Heavy after intel boosting the mission. This one should be fun.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fangz posted:

It ought to?

It wasn't! :saddowns:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I don't think ammo items work on secondaries, sadly. Also, guess which mission decided it'd be a trap with Faceless civvies planted all around? THAT ONE! At least I busted 3 pods before one turned.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And one pod has two MECs in it. Jesus Christ. This mission is a gently caress.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Ammo items definitely work on pistols in vanilla, but I don't play LW2 so they may have changed it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Apoplexy posted:

Ah, Christ, why did I take this mission. Alien Conditioning counter-mission unveiled with 2 days remaining, so I send a squad of 8 in with new Predator Armors and Laser-tier weaponry. Moderate-Heavy after intel boosting the mission. This one should be fun.

Not the worst, had seven hours pop on countering Major Alien Progress. Ended the map with 41 kills and a load of wounded.

gunners with formidable, pred armor, and that pcs that gives armor and defense on overwatch/suppression do a lot of work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Grognan posted:

gunners with formidable, pred armor, and that pcs that gives armor and defense on overwatch/suppression do a lot of work.
Combat Awareness works while they're suppressing too? gently caress me.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TK-42-1 posted:

Anyone had this happen to them? It just started for me. The load screen finishes almost instantly and basically everything is missing. You have to reload to geoscape and try again.

Your guys just loaded into the matrix.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pharmaskittle posted:

Ammo items definitely work on pistols in vanilla, but I don't play LW2 so they may have changed it.

He's talking about the base game anyway, idk why people are bringing lw2 into it

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Grognan posted:

Not the worst, had seven hours pop on countering Major Alien Progress. Ended the map with 41 kills and a load of wounded.

33/33 kills after two reinforcement waves, fuckin' 4 wounded, two critically.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

so far it seems like a campaign ender. I restarted and it's going fine. for whatever reason all of the maps that were getting generated in that campaign were hosed. some would load whatever was in initial los and then just poo poo itself after that.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ravenfood posted:

Combat Awareness works while they're suppressing too? gently caress me.

Yeah, but most of the perks that state they work for OVERWATCH (instead of reaction shots/fire) don't. Sadly.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

awful app double post

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

He's talking about the base game anyway, idk why people are bringing lw2 into it

I can't speak for others, but I assumed he was talking LW2 since most of the posts lately have been about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pharmaskittle posted:

I can't speak for others, but I assumed he was talking LW2 since most of the posts lately have been about it.

... the one that explicitly specifies its talking about the base game?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I was replying to this one, which references faceless traps, which are only a feature in the mod.

Apoplexy posted:

I don't think ammo items work on secondaries, sadly. Also, guess which mission decided it'd be a trap with Faceless civvies planted all around? THAT ONE! At least I busted 3 pods before one turned.

I probably could've tracked back to whatever that guy was replying to and quoted it, but I fire from the hip in games threads.

To edit in something that isn't posting about posting, which is obnoxious: I do play vanilla with the LW2 perks pack, since three choices are always better than two. The Ranger class is loving ridiculous. My current campaign has one with a mag rifle with a superior stock and hair trigger, clutch shot, and a exo suit with a rocket. So that soldier is a fantastic anchor for any mission she's on, since she takes hits better than most and will always be able to at least do some damage on every single turn.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 23, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
God drat do I hate that loving Viper King. He shows up with three (!) Viper envoy in his pod and flashbanging all of them means letting him live to encounter again. It's retarded. Although I guess it's some slight comfort that I was able to nuke him out of cover with a rocket and then had enough people crit him instead of graze that he died in one turn.

edit: Jesus Christ. A nearby ADVENT lamp post had Disorient as its Hack1 unlock. I could've really used that back there.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 23, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
What's the easiest way to 1) kill an alien ruler on the first encounter, and 2) kill an alien ruler that is escaping? i suppose it involves using free action abilities and frost bombs but I still dont see that being enough

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Sadly, you can't do much to stop one that's escaping. I've had one of those cunts plow right through a human blockade while on fire and disoriented into the portal. It's mostly frost grenades. If you're playing Vanilla, where they get a loving free action every time you use even a single action point, you can't do much at all about them escaping, let alone killing them on the first encounter. If you're playing LW2, where they're one of the few things WEAKENED compared to their vanilla counterparts, they only get free moves about 25% of the time, which is cool. You can just barrage them down with Gunners and poo poo.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Apoplexy posted:

Sadly, you can't do much to stop one that's escaping. I've had one of those cunts plow right through a human blockade while on fire and disoriented into the portal. It's mostly frost grenades.

They're both achievements is why I was asking.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Node posted:

The answer to both is Rangers with Bladestorm. I parked Bradford next to the Viper King in the first encounter after freezing it and he got me both bu triggering his hanzo attack as it fled to the portal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I've managed it on vanilla commander. It helps if you do it after plasma. Make sure you have your most powerful units act last. Start with acid bomb, end with the dlc axe/rapid fire high crit alloy cannon. Maybe have a guy in overwatch near the back also.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pretty sure flashbang removes the portal.
I also got into a really weird bug(?) where the Ruler was disoriented and would do nothing but fail to open portals.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Node posted:

Prep a bunch of free action attacks for when it gets ready to dash. Save Lightning Hands on Sharpshooters and the Axe Throw, then fire them all off before it can leave. Bladestorm and prepped overwatches are also your friend.

If you want to absolutely cheese it, get the Overwatch All mod from the workshop. Using the Overwatch All button puts your entire squad on overwatch, but it only counts as one action for Ruler Reaction purposes.

E: Acid and fire (and poison, for those that can be poisoned) are also absolute murder on the Rulers, since the bonus damage will trigger with every action they take

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Node posted:

What's the easiest way to 1) kill an alien ruler on the first encounter, and 2) kill an alien ruler that is escaping? i suppose it involves using free action abilities and frost bombs but I still dont see that being enough

Frost bomb the ruler to get couple moves, apply fire or acid damage so he gets hit on every reaction, unload all the free attacks on him, then use stun weapons like arc blade and bolt caster. Stasis ability of the psi op locks him down for entire turn instead of one reaction so you can use that to win time and pull more soldiers into position and overwatch/put bladestorm rangers next to him.
Long war rulers aren't even a challenge compared to vanilla, because they don't get the reaction move on every xcom move.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 23, 2017