Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

For a Class B refit, you can swap weapon classes with the same number of crits/tons, in the same critical slots, which is what I did.

PTN is throwing me a huge bone, so I'm sticking to the rules for a field refit, and keeping it nice and fluffy. That means I have 3 critical slots to work with, and two tons of weight. Keeping the small lasers keeps it thematic in that it keeps the original weapons profile, the medium laser is an afterthought because I can't throw in another heat sink.

Makes sense - didn't know about the refit rules. I guess you cannot fit a different ballistic weapon either, I cannot think of anything that would fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nothing currently available. I'd consider sticking in magshots or something at later dates.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Felime posted:

There's a canon STN-1S, the tech 1 Steiner prototype, which is what I put in there.

AC/2, SRM-4, small laser :ssh:

But I'm reserving the right to replace it with another Hammer if I decide I don't like the looks of it after all.

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

PTN is throwing me a huge bone, so I'm sticking to the rules for a field refit, and keeping it nice and fluffy. That means I have 3 critical slots to work with, and two tons of weight. Keeping the small lasers keeps it thematic in that it keeps the original weapons profile, the medium laser is an afterthought because I can't throw in another heat sink.

I was actually planning on giving you a Class C refit with five machineguns, a half-ton of ammo, and one less heat sink; but I like yours better. It's a pity Inner Sphere flamers weigh as much as a medium laser.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am, to all intents and purposes, an extremely mobile and jumpy LRM10 launcher.

Barring something horrible in the opposing loadout, I get to run around at max range until I run out of ammo.

Nice difference from my "run to point black and alpha" doomed Guillotine, really.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I am, to all intents and purposes, an extremely mobile and jumpy LRM10 launcher.

Barring something horrible in the opposing loadout, I get to run around at max range until I run out of ammo.

Nice difference from my "run to point black and alpha" doomed Guillotine, really.

Just be careful, as you only have enough shots for 12 turns of fighting. Not normally a problem, but mobile fire support mechs tend to have the longest life expectancy. I have had so many Valkyrie run out of LRM-10 ammo on me.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PoptartsNinja posted:

AC/2, SRM-4, small laser :ssh:

But I'm reserving the right to replace it with another Hammer if I decide I don't like the looks of it after all.

I was actually planning on giving you a Class C refit with five machineguns, a half-ton of ammo, and one less heat sink; but I like yours better. It's a pity Inner Sphere flamers weigh as much as a medium laser.

So my Hammer variant isn't going to be all machineguns either? :argh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KnoxZone posted:

Just be careful, as you only have enough shots for 12 turns of fighting. Not normally a problem, but mobile fire support mechs tend to have the longest life expectancy. I have had so many Valkyrie run out of LRM-10 ammo on me.

At which point I can race in and engage with my ~medium laser~

To be fair, I have pretty good luck with those bastards apparently.

(Unfortunately if my luck from last match holds my missiles will hardly ever hit)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GreyjoyBastard posted:

At which point I can race in and engage with my ~medium laser~

To be fair, I have pretty good luck with those bastards apparently.

(Unfortunately if my luck from last match holds my missiles will hardly ever hit)

You're jumpy, aren't you? Clearly once the LRM is dry it's time for a DFA.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
`Mech Contest 2 Results:

First, the Vote Tally:

DS3) Lion by Hob_Gadling - 7 votes
DS4) Victor by The Merry Marauder - 1 vote
DS7) Mackie by KnoxZone - 19 votes
DS14) Jagermech by GenericServices - 8 votes
DS15) Shadow Hawk by T.G. Xarbala - 15 votes
DS17) Yorinaga by TildeATH - 2 votes
DS29) Oni by Plek - 4 votes
CC1) Baba-Yaga by Felime - 7 votes
CC3) Po by Picard Day - 1 votes
CC4) Battlemaster by The Merry Marauder - 12 votes
CC6) Illuminati by Hob_Gadling - 6 votes
CC13) Raven by T.G. Xarbala - 11 votes
CC15) Pepperpot by AJ_Impy - 14 votes

Winners
KnoxZone's Mackie and T.G. Xarbala's Shadow Hawk are our victors! I was kinda hoping to be able to pick the Lion myself, since I'm really enamored with it. I'm really happy with this outcome, however--that Shadow Hawk is really a first rate design without being truly overpowered, and the Mackie is just monsterous enough to make up for it.

PoptartsNinja's Pick:
Hoo boy, I've gotta pick between the Capellan `Mechs. There're a couple of ways I can go about this, but... I'm going to go with my gut reaction. Since I'm not limited to just the `Mechs in the final cut, I've got my choice of all 28 Capellan Confederation designs.

Picard Day's Po wins. I like the hooks, and I think it's a design the Capellans would love. They appreciate fast, light, cheap designs and this `Mech fits all three. Justin Xiang would give it a stamp of approval, and really the only way it could be more Capellan is if it mounted all three MRMs in one arm.

Winners:
The Clan light `Mechs still need names, so the field's all yours.

KnoxZone gets first choice, T.G. Xarbala gets second, and Picard Day gets third since he was my pick. Post them in the thread, or send a PM. Congratulations, guys!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Out by a single vote. :( Ah well, grats to the winners.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I pulled for you, Impy. :(

(Seriously, though, all the winning designs - hell, all the designs, period - are pretty awesome)

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Holy poo poo, we might actually see a Mackie on the field of battle. This is going to be hilarious and awesome.

I was already planning on giving the Mist Lynx a name, so the mech restriction is no problem. Now I just need to think of one :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Holy poo poo, we might actually see a Mackie on the field of battle. This is going to be hilarious and awesome.

I was already planning on giving the Mist Lynx a name, so the mech restriction is no problem. Now I just need to think of one :v:

My first thought was that "Juggalo" was the correct answer to this question, but I realize I couldn't be more wrong. Look at the lines of the chassis. The right name is "Juggalette."

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
The results are in! Congrats to all the winners!

Personally I'm happy that both my designs got on the second round. If there are other contests, I'm definitely in.

T.G. Xarbala kindly illustrated the Illuminati. This is what Shadow Hawk looks like:

After a few minute modifications this is what the end results looks like.

I would've loved to see his take on the Lion also, but he had plenty of interesting stuff to illustrate. Speaking of which, bring forth the rest of the designs!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Sair posted:

I'm not insisting on IRC or anything, its just you will find me there. Google docs or something would be fine too.

I'm in favour of a google doc simply because we have 8 players and scheduling all of us to be in the same place at the same time once is hard enough with people I know in real life let alone people I barely know over the internet on a regular basis over several weeks.

Does everyone have the ability to get onto a google doc?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Hob_Gadling posted:

The results are in! Congrats to all the winners!

Personally I'm happy that both my designs got on the second round. If there are other contests, I'm definitely in.

T.G. Xarbala kindly illustrated the Illuminati. This is what Shadow Hawk looks like:

After a few minute modifications this is what the end results looks like.

I would've loved to see his take on the Lion also, but he had plenty of interesting stuff to illustrate. Speaking of which, bring forth the rest of the designs!

Is it me, or does it look like that mech is about to topple over?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Saint Celestine posted:

Is it me, or does it look like that mech is about to topple over?

Yes. It's noted in the fluff text so artist just made it faithful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

YEssss okay I agree time to spam the thread with all our amazing TGX drawings.

Here is what you guys missed out on.

Wildebeest:

Gongji/Rooster:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Prepare to be... well, amazed isn't the right word. But this drawing made the Baba-Yaga go from joke entry to something I actually wanted to win.

I mean, look at that thing's mouth!

How can you not love a mech that looks like the product of Capellan agents described a Varangian through a game of telephone over thousands of light years, interpreted by crazy russian engineers? (which is probably exactly the design process.)

Not quite as dynamic as most of the others, but I attribute that to it being the first of these Garbala did, IIRC, and I still love it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Goddamn, those are some sweet-rear end mech's you've got there!

Makes me wish someone could make the Mackie. :allears:

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
drat those look good. Nice job. They actually look like mechs and made for combat, instead of some artists interpretation that look like it would fall apart in a stiff breeze.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here's my poor, unloved, Liquidator.

I'd like to think that had it been classified as a DS 'mech the way it was supposed to be, it might have gotten a little more attention. :sigh:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Koorisch posted:

Goddamn, those are some sweet-rear end mech's you've got there!

Makes me wish someone could make the Mackie. :allears:

He did. You'll just have to wait for Knox to post it!

Edit: I have connections :smug:

Felime fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 17, 2012

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Oh wow! I have to admit I wasn't quite expecting to make it with all these amazing designs in the mix, so i'm very flattered that PTN decided to pick the Po. I unfortunately never asked T.G. Xarbala to make a picture, but i'm still excited to see this little machine crush the Hasek and Davion scum alike. For the Confederation! All the 'Mech art posted so far has been wonderful too, Xarbala clearly knows how to make a 'Mech look good (Unlike some TRO art that has been discussed at length.) The Baba Yaga in particular looks seriously badass.

Can't wait to see the new Mackie, and I hope we see it in a match soon - that thing is going to be a serious beast.

I'm probably going to try to come up with a name for the Fire Moth unless T.G. Xarbala goes for that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

T.G. Xarbala you are quite gifted. Probably redundant to say that, but it's true.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

quote:

To: Precentor Martial Tor Miraborg, Sandhurst Royal Military College, Terra

From: Precentor Mu XIV Adolphus Samson, Avalon City, New Avalon

Subject: Hanse Davion's New Toy

Precentor-Martial, it is as you have suspected. The Fox has commissioned a new Battlemech in complete secrecy. Our ROM agents knew of its construction, but were unable to pierce through the surprisingly thick defense that MIIO put up. While unable to stop the construction of this mech, we did manage to acquire a mostly detailed schematic of the design.

The mech is clearly derived from the MSK-6S Mackie. The weight, design, and weapons profile are almost identical. Why this venerable mech was chosen is known only to Blessed Blake himself, but we believe that it has something to do with the weapons. We do know that the PPC has been replaced by the heavier variant originally used by the Draconis Combine in the failed defense of Luthien, but the new autocannon remains a mystery. It is clearly different from the standard model, as we believe it is designed to fire specialized munitions. It is not, however, the LB/X model that only our Blessed Order still retains.

Undoubtedly, this new weapon will soon be unveiled when Hanse Davion unleashes his 'secret' counter-attack against the Clans. Resources have already been allocated to ensure we have sufficient enough agents available to observe, analyze, and acquire this new technology for ourselves. Its success or failure against Kerensky's Bastards will undoubtedly go a long way in determining the survival of the so-called Draconis Suns.

This is undoubtedly another setback to our divine mission, but it is one that we will surely rally from. The vision of Jerome Blake and the Sainted Conrad Toyama shall yet be fulfilled.

Blake be with you,
Precentor Samson

Special thanks to Xarbala for the awesome Mackie.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 18, 2012

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Felime posted:

Prepare to be... well, amazed isn't the right word. But this drawing made the Baba-Yaga go from joke entry to something I actually wanted to win.

Its like an Inner Sphere Puma. I love it!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I would like to bet an LP-money that the 'evil surprise' of this level is that if an update happens on page 666, mecha-satan erupts from the lake and wreaks havoc.

I don't actually play btech seriously, so i can't really guess what The Evillest Robot is. An assault-weight CERML boat? A Vulture refitted to only use tandem-charge missiles?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ceebees posted:

I would like to bet an LP-money that the 'evil surprise' of this level is that if an update happens on page 666, mecha-satan erupts from the lake and wreaks havoc.

I don't actually play btech seriously, so i can't really guess what The Evillest Robot is. An assault-weight CERML boat? A Vulture refitted to only use tandem-charge missiles?

The Hellstar, which not only is appropriately named and insanely optimized, but also is boring as hell to either use or fight against and thus fits into King's "banality of evil" concept.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

KnoxZone posted:

Its success or failure against Kerensky's Bastards will undoubtedly go a long way in determining the survival of the so-called Federated Suns.
:confused:

Also let us curb stomp us some Steiner mechs now!

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Pinguliten posted:

:confused:

Also let us curb stomp us some Steiner mechs now!

Force of habit.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Here's the Yabai-Yatsu. Looks like a proper assault 'mech, and I love the sunken little head.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

raverrn posted:

Here's the Yabai-Yatsu. Looks like a proper assault 'mech, and I love the sunken little head.

The little carrot-dude in the corner is loving hilarious.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
God drat those are some beautiful mechs. I especially like the Baba-Yaga.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Red River:

Sunfire:

T.G. Xarbala is a stone cold boss, let me tell you!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
To T.G. Xarbala

1. Your mech sketches are precisely that: sketches. Have you tried something more dynamic, say, akin to the Atlas punching a Madcat? If you create something like this, not only will I be forever in your debt, but I will personally vouch for you to anyone who has questions about Battletech.

2. Why aren't you on the art team for MechWarrior Online already????

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

Red River:

This thing is great. It's something I want to play purely on the visual aspect.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cataphract:

Lancer:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Taerkar posted:

Cataphract:

The horn on the head gives me a bit of an Armored Core feel to it, for some reason. I heartily approve :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hob_Gadling posted:

This thing is great. It's something I want to play purely on the visual aspect.

I really, really, liked it. Xarbala asked me a couple of questions about the design, which honestly I hadn't thought too much about - but he nailed it. Like you said, something I'd want to field on looks alone (and I don't think it's too bad of a mech, either)

• Locked thread