Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ducasse, for all of f the nonsense we used to have about it, is a fine indoor method for steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Sous vide (beer cooler style even) and a cast iron pan will do wonders for you as well. Or cast iron pan for 1 minute per side then throw it in the oven if you buy thick enough steaks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sous vide is out of the question for me assuming it's anything more complicated than boiling water in a pot + thermometer, and I don't have a vacuum sealer or anything. The cast iron pan will have to do, but the grocery store near me doesn't sell steaks thicker than maybe 3/4~1 inch...which is a loving pain. I'll figure it out.

Also, when you need to pound chicken breast flat, does butterflying them work too? I've found pounding them to be kind of a pain in the rear end since you need to hit really hard sometimes, and it's easier for me to just split them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

yes, butterflying them is fine and is even recommended for getting them an even thickness when you get the real fun giganto ones that are tiny little rolling plains of chicken fields on one side and huge mountains of chicken boob on the other.

Butterfly just the enormous part to create an even layer rather than the entire breast in that case, and if you aren't already, pound them flat on a cutting board between two sheets of plastic wrap sprayed with a light spray of cooking oil. Makes it easier.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Getting diminishing returns from broiling strip steak. It's not really working out crust/ease-wise, and my caramelized soy sauce onions are still the star of the show when I make steak dinner.

I should learn how to cook steak for real, though I'm a little worried about doing it inside my apartment. I don't have a grill, so I get to deal with the smoke 'n poo poo. Maybe I'll grab a ribeye at some point and stop being afraid of cooking a steak in a cast iron on the stove. The sputtering from the butter in the pan terrifies the poo poo out of me though :ohdear:

Reverse sear. Season the steak and bake it in the oven around 250 until it's 10 degrees cooler than your preferred doneness. Add a little oil to a cast iron, crank the heat as high as it can go, turn on every fan and open the drat windows, and sear the poo poo out of it. Perfect doneness and crispy crust.

Doesn't really work with thin steaks but my go-to is T-bone. There has to be a word for the delicious crispy meat in the crannies of a T-bone, I can gnaw on a T-bone for a good half hour.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Identity confirmed: Jerry Seinfeld is wiggles.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/news/a55504/jerry-seinfeld-kesha-hug/?src=socialflowFB

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This past year has been a challenge, and that's OK. I can make it through anything, as long as I have my friends. I met this guy, and he's so incredibly kind, and likes me, and looks at me like I'm beautiful, and we talk for /hours/ about all the things. I went over to his house today, and we watched trashy TV, chattered on endlessly, and generally had a great time. Around 8:30 pm, he was like, "I'm getting hungry. Should we order in?" He'd just come back from a week in Orlando, so he hadn't done much grocery shopping. But I had seen rice, red lentils, some frozen veg in the freezer (when he opened the freezer to make me a drink), and spices galore.

So I offered to cook. He looked pleasantly surprised. In like 30 minutes, I knocked out three courses: red lentil daal, rice pilaf, and tofu with veggies. He seemed shocked that you can make a dinner with so little, but that's one of the things I'm really good at. I got to his place at like 3 PM, and had to tear myself away at like 11:30 PM.

He's so cute. And his tummy is soft, so that when I rest my head on it, it makes a good pillow. And he takes so much delight in showing me some of the things he enjoys. He loves looking at my face when he thinks I don't notice him staring. He's incredibly respectful of my boundaries, and of consent. Until I let him know that something is OK, he doesn't move forward.

My face is sore from smiling so much. AND he's a good kisser. And he's generous to a fault. And I'm not scared of the silence when I'm with him. I don't want to gently caress it up, so I'm trying to go slowly, but it's hard when I have such a good time. AND? He's /earnest/ and honest with how he's doing. He told me that he would appreciate it if I'd text him when I got home, otherwise he'll worry and not be able to sleep. So at 12:30 AM, I texted him that I got home. He responded with a sincere thanks for keeping him updated, and then told me what a great time he had today.

I'm nervous, and scared, and giggly, and giddy all at the same time. This is our second date, and I've managed to keep things light and fun without spilling too much of my personal stuff. I haven't smiled this much in a very long time, and I'm hoping that something more comes of this. But if it doesn't, I'm so glad that I found someone with whom I share so much in common. Knowing that such people exist gives me hope that I'll find love again. I know that sounds corny, but I've been so heartbroken since things between me and the ex fell apart.

If you're of the religious type, please pray for me that this works out exactly the way it's supposed to so that we're both happy in the end. If that means that we become good friends? Great! If it means that we become boyfriends? Even better! Either way, I just want him to be happy.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
That's awesome to hear, dino.

Go get you some.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dino. posted:

I'm nervous, and scared, and giggly, and giddy all at the same time. This is our second date, and I've managed to keep things light and fun without spilling too much of my personal stuff. I haven't smiled this much in a very long time, and I'm hoping that something more comes of this. But if it doesn't, I'm so glad that I found someone with whom I share so much in common. Knowing that such people exist gives me hope that I'll find love again. I know that sounds corny, but I've been so heartbroken since things between me and the ex fell apart.

If you're of the religious type, please pray for me that this works out exactly the way it's supposed to so that we're both happy in the end. If that means that we become good friends? Great! If it means that we become boyfriends? Even better! Either way, I just want him to be happy.

dino., that's Hella gay and I'm also very jealous. About a month ago my ten year relationship with my boyfriend ended. There's more to it (both the story, and relationship specifics) than what I'll write here, but;

The short version is, he thinks he wants kids. And he wasn't really feeling things as much after I last visited him, last September. But he kept it all in instead of TELLING me anything. Then about a week before we had a long long talk over a weekend, he tells me about "this girl I used to know wants kids." It's just a mess of a thing, but I'm doing alright and over it. Because he hosed up, not me. It sucks though, but I can't do much since he hasn't responded to anything since then.

But anyways, I'm happy for you dino. Glad to hear you're doing good, you goofy sweet dude you <3

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

dino. posted:

He's so cute. And his tummy is soft, so that when I rest my head on it, it makes a good pillow.

Everyone wants a pillow, but nobody wants my beanbag chair :cripes:

Seriously though, way to show off your cooking skills. Good job man.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

dino. posted:

This past year has been a challenge, and that's OK. I can make it through anything, as long as I have my friends. I met this guy, and he's so incredibly kind, and likes me, and looks at me like I'm beautiful, and we talk for /hours/ about all the things. I went over to his house today, and we watched trashy TV, chattered on endlessly, and generally had a great time. Around 8:30 pm, he was like, "I'm getting hungry. Should we order in?" He'd just come back from a week in Orlando, so he hadn't done much grocery shopping. But I had seen rice, red lentils, some frozen veg in the freezer (when he opened the freezer to make me a drink), and spices galore.

So I offered to cook. He looked pleasantly surprised. In like 30 minutes, I knocked out three courses: red lentil daal, rice pilaf, and tofu with veggies. He seemed shocked that you can make a dinner with so little, but that's one of the things I'm really good at. I got to his place at like 3 PM, and had to tear myself away at like 11:30 PM.

He's so cute. And his tummy is soft, so that when I rest my head on it, it makes a good pillow. And he takes so much delight in showing me some of the things he enjoys. He loves looking at my face when he thinks I don't notice him staring. He's incredibly respectful of my boundaries, and of consent. Until I let him know that something is OK, he doesn't move forward.

My face is sore from smiling so much. AND he's a good kisser. And he's generous to a fault. And I'm not scared of the silence when I'm with him. I don't want to gently caress it up, so I'm trying to go slowly, but it's hard when I have such a good time. AND? He's /earnest/ and honest with how he's doing. He told me that he would appreciate it if I'd text him when I got home, otherwise he'll worry and not be able to sleep. So at 12:30 AM, I texted him that I got home. He responded with a sincere thanks for keeping him updated, and then told me what a great time he had today.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

dino. posted:

but I've been so heartbroken since things between me and the ex fell apart.

What?! I'm sorry to hear that, dino. Good luck!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hurray dino :o:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

This site is cringe-worthy https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker-nano/?anovanerd=yesplease

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

GOODBYE POSERS

With facial hair like that you know he's authentic and bohemian as gently caress

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

it's obv a jab at joule/chefsteps imo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
"You can't fake authenticity"

(Posts stock photo of a hipster chef)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Now their counter's broken

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 8, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

/Like a Boss/

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

"You can't fake authenticity"

(Posts stock photo of a hipster chef)

-Indoor Christmas lights
-Aged Ladder painted in the same style as pre-ripped jeans
-Handstitched nonsense on the wall bought at a thrift store
-Wicker basket next to bales of hay
-Two (2) Wooden Spoons, one of them slightly burnt
-Fedora on the barn wall three feet off the ground like normal hatstands

Choose Your Champion

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
(pauses to look at the teleprompter)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The photo of the sliced steak is really unimpressive, too. That grey band in each piece is no better than just pan-cooking a steak to midrare.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

The photo of the sliced steak is really unimpressive, too. That grey band in each piece is no better than just pan-cooking a steak to midrare.
Unless it's a live demo imo you should not assume that anything is cooked with methods advertised.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Unless it's a live demo imo you should not assume that anything is cooked with methods advertised.
or even real food any more

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh, one nice feature on the Nano... it looks like it's water resistant

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Why does the price go up when you buy more than one

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Searched a few pages but couldn't find a Grill thread, what is everyone's Sub-$300 liquid propane outdoor grill of choice? Just looking for a hold over for a couple of years before I buy a nice Weber.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The charbroils are good, lots of BTUs. But the best bet for something temporary is whatever is on sale.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The charbroils are good, lots of BTUs. But the best bet for something temporary is whatever is on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HID53H6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER is what I was looking at there is also a tru-infrared version on sale for $175 but the reviews don't seem to as good? It's hard to tell because of how Amazon just jumbles reviews for different models together.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Photex posted:

Searched a few pages but couldn't find a Grill thread, what is everyone's Sub-$300 liquid propane outdoor grill of choice? Just looking for a hold over for a couple of years before I buy a nice Weber.

20$ of scrap metal and charcoal not good enough for you? :mad:

A proper grill is probably the first thing I'm buying if I ever get a residence with a real lawn

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Oh absolutely, but if they're trying to show what sous vide can do in terms of even end-to-end cooking, they used a lovely photoshop or GIS'd pic of steak.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

20$ of scrap metal and charcoal not good enough for you? :mad:

A proper grill is probably the first thing I'm buying if I ever get a residence with a real lawn

hah, i'm actually not a fan of charcoal, I just don't think I've ever eaten something off a charcoal grill that I've liked.

I am stuck between the following two

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HID53H6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-P...ed%2Bgrill&th=1

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Photex posted:

hah, i'm actually not a fan of charcoal, I just don't think I've ever eaten something off a charcoal grill that I've liked.

I am stuck between the following two

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HID53H6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-P...ed%2Bgrill&th=1

My grill is basically the first one without the storage below, and it's incredible. For an inexpensive grill it puts out a ton of heat. My one and only complaint is that heat distribution can be a LITTLE uneven sometimes, but it's a ridiculously minor gripe for an otherwise great product.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If it's just a hold over, just get something cheap. I got a little two burner a few years ago for that purpose and haven't had to replace it. I did some btu vs area comparisons up to $200 too and it was the highest. Got it on sale for like $90 at Lowe's.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

If it's just a hold over, just get something cheap. I got a little two burner a few years ago for that purpose and haven't had to replace it. I did some btu vs area comparisons up to $200 too and it was the highest. Got it on sale for like $90 at Lowe's.

:same:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Midniter posted:

My grill is basically the first one without the storage below,

How can you manage grilling for a large group without some nearby place to keep all your earwigs

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

went with https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-P...ed%2Bgrill&th=1 after it dropped in price again. $175 delivered

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

theres a will theres moe posted:

How can you manage grilling for a large group without some nearby place to keep all your earwigs

Man, just thinking about it, I don't remember the last time I saw an earwig. Usually it's palmetto bugs in our grill.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Suspect Bucket posted:

Man, just thinking about it, I don't remember the last time I saw an earwig. Usually it's palmetto bugs in our grill.

Hmm.. think I prefer the earwigs. At least they're slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

theres a will theres moe posted:

Hmm.. think I prefer the earwigs. At least they're slow.

clearly you've never tossed an earwig ridden log into a campfire