Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Gaiman has announced that the Netflix adaptation of Sandman has finally begun filming. Still haven't announced any of the cast though.

I'm playing Sandman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gaiman has announced that the Netflix adaptation of Sandman has finally begun filming. Still haven't announced any of the cast though.

Who's that playing Dream? BAH GAWD IT'S--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi05tTtFBPg

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know if I ever want to hear someone else be the War Doctor. Hurt brought so much to the role, just sounding like him isn't enough.

Just that bit with Clara in the archive where she introduces herself and says they haven't met yet.

"I look forward to it."

So much warmth and still hiding the pain. God i love that man and his performance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should just use the audio cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaiman already shot down that idea a while back saying that people like Michael Sheen are pretty solidly booked for the foreseeable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Michael Sheen is probably much easier to book for gigs he can literally phone in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not going to deny that it's mostly my desire to see a live action Death played by Kat Dennings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Not going to deny that it's mostly my desire to see a live action Death played by Kat Dennings.

After Loki she was the best part of the first two Thor films and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's insufferable in everything she appears in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You've had a lot of dumb and wrong opinions, but this one of the dumbest and wrongest.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

You've had a lot of dumb and wrong opinions, but this one of the dumbest and wrongest.

No he's right this time. Also she would be terrible as death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

She's supposed to be good in the radio play. I haven't listened because i can only listen to stuff like that when I'm traveling somewhere and I haven't been commuting to work lately.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Skwirl posted:

After Loki she was the best part of the first two Thor films and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

I am with you both on these. I still wish the writers had combined "scientist love interest" and "comic relief" into one character (Jane Foster) and cast Kat Dennings.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

youve seen everything shes appeared in?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

We only care about superheroes here, so yes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scary ghost dog posted:

I've seen at least 3 episodes of 2 Broke Girls so yes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Roth posted:

We only care about superheroes here, so yes

what about [glances at wikipedia] Defendor

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

what about [glances at wikipedia] Defendor

Well poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have seen Defendor and she sucks.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Well i've always wanted to read the comic,but holy gently caress i HATE that animation style,so loving bland.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I hope Sandman is about Morpheus coming to earth and teaming up with a skeptical detective who doesn't believe that he holds domain over the world of dreams.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Police procedural is yesterday's news, the new default mode for shows is "a group of early-mid 20s trans and/or BIPOC folks dealing with life" and Sandman is the one property that's going to intersect with it by default but also more or less coincidence.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaiman has been giving interviews about it for a while. Basically it isn't going to be a 1-1 adaptation since they're doing that with the audiobook so he's more open with this to changing things. One announced is that it is extending Morpheus' imprisonment keeping the original date but he doesn't get out until modern day. Other than that he's stated he wants the cast to be a little more diverse and that season 1 will cover the first two volumes of story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

My Lovely Horse posted:

the new default mode for shows is "a group of early-mid 20s trans and/or BIPOC folks dealing with life"

Are you sure about this because the last time I checked trans representation on TV was still very very very very poor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaiman has been giving interviews about it for a while. Basically it isn't going to be a 1-1 adaptation since they're doing that with the audiobook so he's more open with this to changing things. One announced is that it is extending Morpheus' imprisonment keeping the original date but he doesn't get out until modern day. Other than that he's stated he wants the cast to be a little more diverse and that season 1 will cover the first two volumes of story.

Can they use a lot of mainstream DC stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Can they use a lot of mainstream DC stuff?

You need to change very, very little to completely excise the mainstream DC stuff. But the audio book has that stuff, so I'm guessing whether or not they could, they won't for the TV show.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I hope they do cut the DCU stuff from the show. It's honestly jarring in the book because it gets so far away from that stuff as it goes. Of course keep Cain and Able, but I don't need Martian Manhunter to show up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There are minor references all over the place, like in The Doll's House the serial killer that the journalist is pretending to be (The Boogeyman) was a character from Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There are minor references all over the place, like in The Doll's House the serial killer that the journalist is pretending to be (The Boogeyman) was a character from Alan Moore's Swamp Thing.

Did anyone watch the Swamp Thing? Is it...good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's decent enough. But the Anatomy Lesson episode is really bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wanted to give it a chance but they kind of killed any desire to watch it when they canceled the drat show after just one episode.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I had to stop watching when we made it to the end of episode 2 and jack poo poo had happened and we’d barely seen Swamp Thing

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Alhazred posted:

Did anyone watch the Swamp Thing? Is it...good?

it's not terrible but not great. it's also pretty obvious by the time you get to the finale that the episode order was cut late in production (most of the subplots just abruptly stop instead of building to an ending or cliffhanger, and the series ends with a stinger teasing what was presumably supposed to be the antagonist of episodes 11-13 rather than the never-to-be-produced second season).

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 23, 2020

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

I wanted to give it a chance but they kind of killed any desire to watch it when they canceled the drat show after just one episode.

They didn't cancel it after one episode.

They did it a week before it premiered.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

David D. Davidson posted:

They didn't cancel it after one episode.

They did it a week before it premiered.

No, it was between the first and second episodes.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/swamp-thing-inside-sudden-cancellation-as-dc-universes-role-warnermedia-a-mystery-1217592

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think everyone assumed it was gonna get cancelled when they abruptly lowered their episode order for the first season which happened in April, several months before the show premiered.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did it ever come out if Swamp Thing's cancellation was involved with the supposed shenanigans from the North Carolina film trust or just something else?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Did it ever come out if Swamp Thing's cancellation was involved with the supposed shenanigans from the North Carolina film trust or just something else?

IIRC that was reported but it came out that it wasn't true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Hollywood Reporter article on this page says the cancelation and shortened first season had nothing to do with tax rebates or lack thereof