Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

My dad does and by the time he got done with it he could have gone full solar with batteries lol

Lol it’s insane how expensive they are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e: Deleted because of doxxable details

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 20, 2024

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just got the final report from the septic engineers.

It is impossible to repair our septic system. I'll spare you all the details, but the only way to do it is with a haul-away system (a cistern that is regularly pumped out) and the County refuses to allow that. It is impossible to create a leachfield anywhere on our property that is 100 feet from the neighbor's well. The engineers grimly recommend that we have the existing septic tank and greywater system jetted frequently. Also, our well is not on our property.

:drat:

So uh… is the house still viable?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

E: Deleted because of doxxable details

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Sounds like they only solution is buying your neighbor out and reconfiguring a system that supplies both houses

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Not having a sellable house seems sub optimal

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

e: Deleted because doxxable details.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 20, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Perhaps you can buy an easement?, and make the case to the trust members that your house is gonna fall into disrepair and they're gonna have to look at it deteriote if they don't do you this favor

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

My dad does and by the time he got done with it he could have gone full solar with batteries lol

Yeah, that would have given him at least 1/10th the runtime. Not really the same thing for the same purposes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that would have given him at least 1/10th the runtime. Not really the same thing for the same purposes.

Yeah that’s why I said adding batteries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that’s why I said adding batteries.

And I'm saying for the same money he would get e nough batteries to last for 1/10 the runtime of a $90 tank of fuel. If he tripled the cost he might achieve half.

Battery storage for this suff just isn't really great yet. It's getting there but you're gonna pay for it and not in a way that you will ever get a payback unless you live in a very very special circumstance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Monday I'll be calling my insurance company to see if "becoming uninhabitable because septic" counts as a total loss, and the septic engineers to see if the proposal above would work.

Meanwhile, my bestest friend is a bottle of Armagnac.

Don't call your insurance company. Nothing about your situation is covered, and they will probably cancel your policy since the home is legally uninhabitable.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My current plan (I will still be making plans 30 seconds after I flatline) is the following.

1. Move the gravel parking area to the back yard, where it's marked "Area of Soil Removal"; expand to include the deck area if necessary.

2. Put a leach field in the current gravel parking area.

3. Approach the trust directly with a request to buy an easement solely for a well. That's going to require much less real estate than a leach field would.

Monday I'll be calling my insurance company to see if "becoming uninhabitable because septic" counts as a total loss, and the septic engineers to see if the proposal above would work.

I am so sorry you're going through this. There has to be a resaonble resolution. Has to. But I'm sure it's going to take a long time and lot of attention.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My current plan (I will still be making plans 30 seconds after I flatline) is the following.

1. Move the gravel parking area to the back yard, where it's marked "Area of Soil Removal"; expand to include the deck area if necessary.

3. Approach the trust directly with a request to buy an easement solely for a well. That's going to require much less real estate than a leach field would.

This absolutely sucks. :( Sorry dude.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sorry, Arsenic. drat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

Don't call your insurance company. Nothing about your situation is covered, and they will probably cancel your policy since the home is legally uninhabitable.

I think there's an insurance appraiser in this thread; is it you?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think there's an insurance appraiser in this thread; is it you?

Yes it’s him :-(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If your well is already on the neighboring property you might already have gained a prescriptive easement. Definitely consult with an attorney about that.

Upgrade posted:

Anyone have a Generac?

Portable or whole-house?

I had a smallish inverter Generac for a while before escaping Texas. Worked just fine and saved our rear end when an ice storm came though Austin and took out our power for four days.

Now we have a whole house Kohler unit. Went with them because Generac has earned a reputation of being more into marketing than quality control and being picky/slow about honoring their warranty.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 19, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

with the grasping at straws level, any chance that your title insurance actually covers anything here

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My neighbor had a generac as a backup with the buried propane or Ng tank and the $ per hour used were lol compared to a pull cord. Automated though so when the power for everyone else was out for 2 hours theirs was down for 30 seconds.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 19, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You have my sincerest condolences. You're living everyone's nightmare and I wish a solution was easy. Hopefully the trust will sell you an easement.

PainterofCrap posted:

Would there be any point to maintaining insurance? At this point if he has a claim of any type, would they deny it because of the other issues?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CarForumPoster posted:

My neighbor had a generac as a backup with the buried propane or Ng tank and the $ per hour used were lol compared to a pull cord. Automated though so when the power for everyone else was out for 2 hours theirs was down for 30 seconds.

It's definitely a case of paying a premium for automation, and whether or not that is worth it for you or not is a personal decision.

I think the biggest reasons to go with a standby unit are: if the person at home isn't physically capable of or comfortable with wrangling a "portable" generator into place and hooking it up; and if there is a (medical/other) reason why the person needs power back in seconds vs half an hour or so.

In our case Mrs. Pony and I both have a PTSD-like response to power outages after living through the Texas power grid nearly failing when our son was 7 months old. Thankfully a nearby neighbor who shared a line with the fire station offered a room up in their house because ours hit roughly 40°F inside. We did the portable generator thing two years later during an ice storm but between my wife's full-blown panic while I was rushing to hook up the portable generator and get the furnace running and my constant elevated stress level juggling what was hooked up and making sure that the generator was fueled... a backup unit was absolutely going in when we bought a house and moved out of state.

Yeah our 20kW unit was $12k installed and costs ~$1.50/hr to run but in January when a miserably cold and windy rainstorm caused a huge tree to fall and take out power at 7PM instead of panicking I was able to calmly count down from 10 and everything came back up when I hit zero.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tunicate posted:

with the grasping at straws level, any chance that your title insurance actually covers anything here

Nope. I own the land just fine.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just turned on the sprinklers again (Denver, so it freezes here) and the outside pipes that lead to the sprinkler control, which are copper between the house and the sprinkler boxes and luckily (for the fix I suppose) are above-ground, were wrapped in foam. When I turned them on one of the above-ground copper pipes cracked and is spraying water, and the foam rubber came off. I turned it all back off again but now what? Do I get a plumber to fix this or a 'sprinkler company'?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A plumber can handle it but be warned that your backflow preventer is probably old and out of code so they’ll try to upsell you, and even if they don’t be ready to pay at least $600.

To me an outdoor, above ground pipe sounds like a great excuse to become a YouTube contractor.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

PTSD-like response to power outages after living through the Texas power grid nearly failing when our son was 7 months old. Thankfully a nearby neighbor who shared a line with the fire station offered a room up in their house because ours hit roughly 40°F inside.

I don't even live in Texas anymore but roughly half the people I know do. Of that group half of them had plumbing issues from frozen pipes. My buddy ended up setting up a camping tent inside his own house to retain heat better when the inside temp got to 50

When we moved to the edge of hurricane territory we bought a pull start and the peace of mind alone is worth quite a lot

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

When we moved to the edge of hurricane territory we bought a pull start and the peace of mind alone is worth quite a lot

Same, though I always forget to put a drip charger on the 12v starter battery. It’s not an easy to start motor either. I should handle that while I’m thinking about it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

CarForumPoster posted:

My dad has one and yeah, the automatic kick in is fantastic. He also has a big solar array on a hill but I'm not sure if they're integrated or how. Between that and the wood stove that's integrated into the furnace return, I think he can heat the house in the winter + keep the well running pretty cheaply.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

This may be a dumb question, but to test if your attic is sufficiently insulated is it as simple as pointing an infrared thermometer at the ceiling in a bunch of spots and seeing if it generally matches the rest of the room?

Tested this today - ceiling 76 degrees, same as the rest of the room, seems good? Skylight wells... 110 - 120 degrees :negative:

On a related note, does anyone have advice on the best way to insulate the walls of skylight wells? Foam insulation board? Spray foam? Shove batt in there and adhere it somehow? Call a professional who actually knows what they're doing to just do it for me?

Edit: the heat isn't from sunlight coming through the skylight as far as I can tell, this is with closed shades.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 19, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, for insulation it is pretty much as simple as pointing a FLIR gun at it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SpartanIvy posted:

You have my sincerest condolences. You're living everyone's nightmare and I wish a solution was easy. Hopefully the trust will sell you an easement.

Would there be any point to maintaining insurance? At this point if he has a claim of any type, would they deny it because of the other issues?

Nah, the HO coverage is unaffected, there's nothing about the situation that increases risk in any way that would jeopardize coverage for a loss covered under the policy.

Where it gets weird is if the home burns to the ground or is otherwise a total loss, after which it becomes apparent that the home can never be re-built there since getting a CO would become impossible and then things get fun with the mortgage lender.

It's mostly that underwriters get skittish when poo poo deviates from the norm. In this instance what they don't know won't hurt them; if they ask, don't lie (they won't ask), but don't volunteer anything you don't have to.

That the insured is desperately trying to resolve the situation is good, no one will be pointing figures at them...although consulting a lawyer about the easement situation is an excellent move.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You're being really helpful, PainterOfCrap. Thank you.

BTW, there is no mortgage lender. We paid cash.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

redreader posted:

I just turned on the sprinklers again (Denver, so it freezes here) and the outside pipes that lead to the sprinkler control, which are copper between the house and the sprinkler boxes and luckily (for the fix I suppose) are above-ground, were wrapped in foam. When I turned them on one of the above-ground copper pipes cracked and is spraying water, and the foam rubber came off. I turned it all back off again but now what? Do I get a plumber to fix this or a 'sprinkler company'?

Either should be able to handle it. A low cost sprinkler guy around here (I'm local to you) will probably be the better bet. They'll have a bunch of that stuff on the truck and just braise it up for you in like an hour.

Next year be sure to drain the lines not just shut them off. I did that the first year, I had it blown out, shut off, but I didn't know I had to pop off a little cap inside and drain the supply portion down as well.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Morning update: Things are even worse! Yaaay! We had a phone call with the (very kind) septic person. Remember the map?

We don't own our parking lot. The property lines extend about a yard in each direction from the foundations, except for the back yard, which is approximately 40' wide by 42' deep. Our entire property is 92' wide by 42' deep. The entire back yard is within the mandatory 100' setback from our neighbor's well. The well, under the parking lot, could not have been legal when drilled sometime in the 2000s, and the septic guy is very curious why a permit was issued. There is no place on the lot where a well could have been legally drilled, accounting for setbacks from both the neighbor's well and from the existing septic system.

Furthermore, the septic guy knows the state department of water (I forget its precise name) well, having appealed to them several times. The county water person said our plan for a haulaway system was okay by her and passed it onto the state, who said no way. Septic guy then had a lot to say about how completely unwilling the state bureaucrats were to stretch regulations, and that he'd had one denied that was "less challenging" than ours. It would be extremely unwise to appeal further, because then we'd have to disclose further violations like the well and the failed system, which would make the state even more likely to red-tag the property.

The septic guy billed us for a lot less than his labor hours to survey the lot and make plans; he said it didn't feel right to charge us the full price under the circumstances. The plan, such as it is, is to have a lawyer contact the trust owning the property and see if there's any chance of their selling us enough land for a leach field. Other than that, he laid out a plan to keep the existing system hobbling along for as long as possible.

And that's the news from Lake Wobegon.

P.S. Under state law, the 3-year statute of limitations for suing a previous owner ends in June 2024. There's no chance we could file a lawsuit by then, especially since the suit would be against the previous previous owner, who drilled the illegal well.

IANAL, but in my area you can file a lawsuit tomorrow. It may not be the best written complaint but it could at least put a pin in the ground on the date. In my state I am fairly sure you don't have to SERVE the lawsuit by the statute of limitations, only file it. You can amend the complaint most likely. Your lawyer would be the one to say who to name, but I'd strongly consider naming the PO unless its obviously clear there's no ability to articulate any set of facts that could implicate them in any cause of action.

I know you said you'd already spoke with counsel, please call them today with this information and discuss the impending SoL deadline.

EDIT: Given the potential damages here are six figures I would file simply to preserve the date, naming everyone who might have liability. Filing fees are prob <$500. I'd expect a solo lawyer to be sub $3K. If thats too much talk with the lawyer about drafting it yourself using a similar case as a template if you think thats something you could do.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 20, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So wait did they sell you the parking lot they didn't own?

I feel like there's gotta be legal recourse there

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

So wait did they sell you the parking lot they didn't own?

I feel like there's gotta be legal recourse there

I have absolutely no idea what title insurance is for, but protecting me from buying property that isn’t legally possessed by the seller really feels like what I paid for.

Which is obviously a huge bummer. House sounds awesome except for the “nowhere for my poo poo to go” thing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
And I'm guessing I didn't pay attention to the beginning of this saga but I recall it over the last few months, I assume there's no city/county water or sewage service out there if you have a well and septic?

This sounds like an awful situation but it seems like you did your due diligence as a buyer/owner and a lot of info was either misleading on the sale or clearly had to be known and not disclosed when you bought. I would 1000% be going after the previous owner for legal recourse since you're talking about massive amounts of money and potentially an unsellable house. They might be able to claim ignorance on the septic (doubtful) but if they drilled the well and put the driveway over property lines, that seems like a good case on your end.

And to second what else was said, isn't that a good case for title insurance to protect buying a house that isn't livable? When searched "what does title insurance cover?" This was one of the bullet points.

*Undisclosed easements or other agreements that may limit the usage or reduce the value of the property

I dunno man, I would be in a Lawyers office tomorrow. I'm sorry you're going through this and I hate the real estate/legal system, and a crazy market for putting buyers in these situations. I wish third party inspections were mandatory in the US for all sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it's far past attorney time. Do not make any of these assumptions on your own.