Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Is this a legit language difference or did I make a grammatical error in my post?

Pretty sure someone was just being a dick face mcgee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Geirskogul posted:

Is 4.8 the cheese-grade of the bolts they sell? That poo poo is Dangerously Cheesy.

4.8 is like SAE grade 2, ie: not something you'd see in any serious shop. Though lots of consumer-grade stuff will have that holding it together. I had to install some headache racks/rails in some pickup trucks at work and the package showed up with 4.8 bolts. I threw them in the trash and used 8.8s off the shelf.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I noticed the tool cart I bought had 4.8 bolts in the installation kit that came with it. I considered replacing them with something a tad harder, but elected to just say gently caress it and built it. Would it be worth going back and replacing them with something stronger in the future even if it'll never see anything more than basic garage use?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
It's been a while since we've had a "curb job" towed in due to the lack of snow, but thanks to a light dusting last weekend, we got a few. First; here's a nice one on a Passat:

Both of the alloy lower control arms and the rim got the worst of it. It's most likely getting the rest of the entire knee assembly replaced as well.

And from a few weeks ago: The only terrible picture I was able to get of a broken front lower control arm on a '99 Cadillac DeVille that ate a curb before continuing into a ditch. It severed clean right where the frame bushing attaches; pulling the inner axle joint apart, which began slinging grease all over everything including the front of the engine. The latter resulted in the serpentine belt popping off which then began to tangle and shred itself in the spinning sloppy mess before it was eventually shut off altogether.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Poor Slimer. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Is this a legit language difference or did I make a grammatical error in my post?

Depending on emphasis, it could mean what you intended or that people should be buying a set of wrenches from literally every walmart.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Depending on emphasis, it could mean what you intended or that people should be buying a set of wrenches from literally every walmart.

I think it would be most correct to say "any Walmart" instead of "every" one, but either way the meaning of the post was clear, and I don't think I would even call "every Walmart" incorrect. He's just being a jerk for fun!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Guess what page it is.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Root Bear posted:

And from a few weeks ago: The only terrible picture I was able to get of a broken front lower control arm on a '99 Cadillac DeVille that ate a curb before continuing into a ditch. It severed clean right where the frame bushing attaches; pulling the inner axle joint apart, which began slinging grease all over everything including the front of the engine. The latter resulted in the serpentine belt popping off which then began to tangle and shred itself in the spinning sloppy mess before it was eventually shut off altogether.

While that caddy is carnage, the failure is probably all on the driver. What a mess, charge at least an extra 1/2hr labor just for cleaning

Edit: :black101::woop::hellyeah::snoop:666:snoop::corrupt::woop::black101:

Xlyfindel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 7, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hwhat...?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
This was parked up the road from my work. It's been there for at least a week now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Puddin posted:

This was parked up the road from my work. It's been there for at least a week now.

That reminds me of the time I had to explain to a frat buddy "no, you definitely can't patch the entire sidewall; no you definitely should not drive that to the tire store."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

That reminds me of the time I had to explain to a frat buddy "no, you definitely can't patch the entire sidewall; no you definitely should not drive that to the tire store."

Its okay, they'll just swap the donut spare on and drive on that forever.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavvy posted:

Hwhat...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQGK3r4Ms
It's story from '64 Beetle from some kid's backyard to "Phantom."

with bonus pics of his Lizard Car.

VVVVV
This guy's out of Houston. I thought the other guy was from the Pacific NW? LA - Baron Margo.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 7, 2016

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is that the guy Doccers bought his Volvo from?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

Is 4.8 the cheese-grade of the bolts they sell? That poo poo is Dangerously Cheesy.

4.8 bolts have a tensile strength of 400MPa (58ksi), half that of an 8.8, which is roughly equivalent to a grade 5 (105ksi.) That puts them at around equivalent of a grade 1 or 2 at 60ksi... and just slightly stronger than brass, at ~50ksi.

There is also an ISO Property Class 3.6, but even HF doesn't use those - 300MPa ultimate is actually slightly worse than the tensile strength of 6061-T6 aluminum at 310MPa, so I suspect those are specialty alloy bolts, not steel. http://www.fullermetric.com/technical/information/tech_mechanical_properties.aspx

e:

Godholio posted:

Lose one from every set.

Every 10mm and every 1/2".

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I had an ebeam weld go through a part and hit the allthread holding the assembly together. It was 3/4-10 allthread at 300 pound feet of torque. How many PSI is that? Because when the beam hit the allthread it blew apart and hit both ends of the chamber simultaneously. Hearing a boom in a chamber under a 30 microTorr vacuum was a hell of a thing. I wonder if I still have that slagged piece of allthread around...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Around 24,000lbs overall tension (54ksi assuming a smooth 3/4 diameter rod - the threads would clearly increase the average due to the cross sectional area reduction, and also the worst case strain due to the stress riser at the thread root), give or take depending on plating and lubrication. The calculator I found and used didn't ask for thread pitch, which I found a bit odd, since a finer thread will have a lower thread slope and therefore will (if I'm rationalizing this right) result in a different axial tension given the same torque.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

BloodBag posted:

I had an ebeam weld go through a part and hit the allthread holding the assembly together. It was 3/4-10 allthread at 300 pound feet of torque. How many PSI is that? Because when the beam hit the allthread it blew apart and hit both ends of the chamber simultaneously. Hearing a boom in a chamber under a 30 microTorr vacuum was a hell of a thing. I wonder if I still have that slagged piece of allthread around...

Holy crap, did it damage any important bits of your thingamajig?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Root Bear posted:

It's been a while since we've had a "curb job" towed in due to the lack of snow, but thanks to a light dusting last weekend, we got a few. First; here's a nice one on a Passat:

Both of the alloy lower control arms and the rim got the worst of it. It's most likely getting the rest of the entire knee assembly replaced as well.

"I don't need winter tires, I know how to drive in the snow. " -an idiot

This is why my insurance goes up every year even though I have no claims.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZbyQCzJjPo

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Hail our dark lord satan, shiny and chrome

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

totalnewbie posted:

Holy crap, did it damage any important bits of your thingamajig?

Nah, the door is 1.5 inch solid steel and so is the back of the chamber. The beam made it through (what we thought was) 2.9 inches of solid 925 inconel though :shepface: woops! Electron beams can slip through a gap as small as .006 inches...and melt the gently caress out of whatever's on the other side.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric

Thanks, that fills my quota for dumbest thing I'll see all day! (hopefully)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Witness Meeeeeee! *pouts*

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Every 10mm and every 1/2".

I have them. All of them, in a box of sockets my crazy mom gave me. So many 10mm and 1/2" sockets in there. I don't use that batshit set, I just set them aside so they stop finding their way into my possession and got a whole and organized set.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

I have them. All of them, in a box of sockets my crazy mom gave me. So many 10mm and 1/2" sockets in there. I don't use that batshit set, I just set them aside so they stop finding their way into my possession and got a whole and organized set.

Give me back my 10mm sockets you fucker.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

How To Make Sure You Never Get An MRI.mp4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've often said that I will pay for 10-packs of single socket sizes at the hardware store. Just let me buy a dozen 10mm's without paying $3.19 apiece.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Ah yes, the perfect metric socket set. 23mm, 21mm, 19mm, 18mm, 17mm, 16mm, 15mm, 14mm, 13mm, 12mm, 12mm, 11mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
To be honest, I do like having a good healthy stack of 13mm sockets to hand when working on my Japanese cars.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 8, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Depends on who made the car. Subarus use what, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22? While Honda and Toyota use a different subset and German cars stick to the DIN metric head sizes instead of the ANSI, ISO, or JIS metric head sizes.

The great thing about standards - there's so many to choose from! :yum:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Toyota use 8,10,12,14,17,19,21,22,24,27,30.

No Japanese manufacturer (commonly) uses 13mm. 1/2" and other non-metric sizes are more common.

The Z30 Soarer has one 13mm/half-inch bolt, it's stuffed in a place in which you'd almost never look, and everyone is pretty sure it's there to troll people.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Extra-long box wrench with 17mm on one side and 19mm on the other is the single best investment you can make if you regularly work on a Toyota

Also hail satan

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The Germans loving love 13mm and hipster fasteners like triple square and torx

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Torx is not a hipster fastener. It is awesome.

Triple square can get hosed with a rake, though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This is a really good set:

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/SRBZXL62T/6-PIECE-METRIC-12-POINT-EXTRA-LONG-ZERO-DEGREE-OFFSET-WRENCH-SET/

Would like to find a version that is not nearly $300.

E- here we go

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 8, 2016

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
If I ever meet the limp-dicked asswipe that spec'd E10 hardware in the 01-05 Mazda BP engine, when every single other fastener on the engine is a 10/12/14/17/19/29, I will shove those 8 fasteners so far up his rear end the doctors will need their OWN inverted Torx sockets to remove them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

Give me back my 10mm sockets you fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I work for a Japanese measurement company and some of our instruments still have the old big round 5 & 7 pin DIN connectors for input/output functions. Like RS-232 or remote keyboard & setpoints.

But then the PS/2 connectors are also basically mini DIN.

Japs liked German tech... So did IBM as well

Who knows why...