Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

:hellyeah:

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

the wizards beard posted:

Someone has an amazing snipe coming up...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

you can add that to your posting career resumè

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I thought at first glance the Hellknight was driving some kind of bumper car

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Prenton posted:

free mod idea

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Happy page 666 everyone! This thread has been active for over four years, and only seems to be gaining in popularity. Well done, game developers from one to two decades ago!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hail Satan

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

A really neat article was retweeted by Carmack himself, full with Quake MP zeitgeist stuff: http://www.big-game-theory.com/2015/08/these-halls-i-walked-homage-to-doom-and.html?m=1

A very nice read. Quake 1 has always had a special place in my heart not only because of the top-notch gameplay, but also because it was the game that started the glory days of modding. I was on the ground floor during Quake 1 DM's heyday.

The mods are gone, but I can still play though lots of great SP maps and experience Quake 1's incredible deathmatch with very good bots. It's a shame that Quake 1 is treated more like a lost treasure these days than the groundbreaking and very fun game it is.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Prenton posted:

Linguica posted:

free mod idea

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I'm... assuming this was pre-existing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's awesome, I'd play a Mario Kart but with Doom characters :D

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Linguica posted:

I'm... assuming this was pre-existing.
The bumper car graphic's from Team Fortress 2. I just kind of cut the Hell Knight up around it. :v:

Guillermus posted:

That's awesome, I'd play a Mario Kart but with Doom characters :D
There's been a few attempts at that, but they always get derailed by the damnest things.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Jeez, I'm still amazed that Doom's development was such a perfect storm.

Id Software, during Doom's development, did not and could not know what they were doing. There was no blueprint, there was no road map, they were in uncharted territory and it was a combination of phenomenal luck and nearly superhuman talent that made Doom a smashing success.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Id Software, during Doom's development, did not and could not know what they were doing. There was no blueprint, there was no road map, they were in uncharted territory and it was a combination of phenomenal luck and nearly superhuman talent that made Doom a smashing success.

Funnily enough, the same thing happened with Quake 1. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

site posted:

Hail Satan

This should have been the first post on this page. The other guy dropped the ball. :(

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

closeted republican posted:

No they didn't, they recycled Doom's formula after their early ideas didn't work, and they didn't do it as well as Doom did it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

closeted republican posted:

They tried to make lightning strike twice and they managed it, but it ripped their company in two.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

They tried to make lightning strike twice and they managed it, but it ripped their company in two.

It ripped iD apart but it was worth it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
What I'm getting from all this talk about how Doom was essentially an insanely fortunate accident is that there's a reason that Doom 4 isn't reaching people's expectations: it's being very carefully and intentionally designed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
This thread has picked up the Pentagram of Protection.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Quake II was a good game too, though. It wasn't an amazingly groundbreaking game but it was a good solid hunk of old-school FPS. It was really with Doom 3's interminable development cycle that Id went off the rails.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

This thread has picked up the Pentagram of Protection.

I prefer the Ring of Shadows so we can all become a pair of floating eyes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

It amuses me that Doom was also the first game GT Interactive published, which instantly made that company ridiculously high profile (they had exclusive publishing deals with Walmart, Target and several other retailers for a while) yet they never managed to turn their insane revenue stream into profits.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

you mean Good Times Interactive?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So that's what #GOODTIMES means in the Wolfenstein source.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Doomio Kart :3:

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

laserghost posted:

A really neat article was retweeted by Carmack himself, full with Quake MP zeitgeist stuff: http://www.big-game-theory.com/2015/08/these-halls-i-walked-homage-to-doom-and.html?m=1

This is good and y'all should read it yep.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Page 666 FTW. Doom II is a good game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Woolie Wool posted:

Doom II, at least as far as enemy design goes, always seemed like a very deliberate refinement of Doom. It's why the game has such a high skill ceiling. There are always emergent "accidents" in game design but that doesn't mean they were throwing poo poo at the wall.

e) I honestly don't know how anyone can read MoD and get the idea that iD was just "lucky". It wasn't luck that made them decide to take out Wolf3D's nascent stealth elements because they weren't enjoyable, and it wasn't luck that made them decide to take pruning shears to Tom Hall's Doom Bible, and turn it into a straight action game.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 6, 2015

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'd regret not posting on this momentous page, so...

gently caress yeah old school fps!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kazvall posted:

I'd regret not posting on this momentous page, so...

gently caress yeah old school fps!

This, also any mods for the original half life worth looking at?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still remember drinking two two-liters of mountain dew the day Doom full came out.

I think I vibrated my way through hell.

Pretty sure doing that today would kill me.

Oh also, doing a full weekend marathon of Doom MP, to the point where I was seeing and hearing plasma and rocket sounds before, during, and after I went to sleep.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like brutal doom

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Doom II, at least as far as enemy design goes, always seemed like a very deliberate refinement of Doom. It's why the game has such a high skill ceiling. There are always emergent "accidents" in game design but that doesn't mean they were throwing poo poo at the wall.
I was talking about Doom 1 specifically. With Doom 2 they already had a working design and just had to refine it. Doom 1 was uncharted territory.

quote:

e) I honestly don't know how anyone can read MoD and get the idea that iD was just "lucky". It wasn't luck that made them decide to take out Wolf3D's nascent stealth elements because they weren't enjoyable, and it wasn't luck that made them decide to take pruning shears to Tom Hall's Doom Bible, and turn it into a straight action game.
Maybe you didn't notice the part where I also mentioned their talent for finding the best in a game design and bringing it out? They didn't take the stealth mechanics out because Proper Game Design said stealth mechanics in an otherwise straight FPS were bad, they took them out because they tried the stealth mechanics, they didn't work very well, and they tried something else until they got it right. Part of experimentation is, when you throw poo poo at the wall, see what sticks.

Nowadays studios go into the development process with the Game Design Rules and follow The Rules to make their product.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

victrix posted:

I still remember drinking two two-liters of mountain dew the day Doom full came out.

Oh also, doing a full weekend marathon of Doom MP, to the point where I was seeing and hearing plasma and rocket sounds before, during, and after I went to sleep.

I hate it when that last sort of thing happens to me, can never get good sleep in that situation

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

victrix posted:

Two of those 16oz energy drinks from the gas station are more caffeine than that (320mg vs. 309mg, and a couple of years ago it would have been 400-480). Think about that.

I remember Rockstar once selling a version that had 320mg in a single can. The effects were...interesting. :shepface:

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I saw someone on Youtube playing Project Brutality, some Brutal Doom mod-mod that adds a bunch of honestly kinda neat stuff, but it would appear that there's some kind of biological looking demon rifle in there. Are there any mods with a lot of weird looking living weapons? Because that sounds cool as Hell (er, no pun intended).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Oh man, it's too bad the awesomeness of Red Faction's break-open breach-loaded railgun can't really be captured in a single image, because that seriously stands out as one of the most satisfying, punchy weapons to use (like the weapons in those images).