Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Roberts doesn't have to eat a big hit to the reputation of the Court,
He's just going to get more popular with Dems since he voted dissent. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
One weird trick to avoid judicial review! Liberals hate it!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zeeman posted:

One weird trick to avoid judicial review! Liberals hate it!

This, except actually the real law now, for real

In a sense I appreciate the honesty of it. The legal system has always been a half step away from letters of marque and reprisal anyway, this is just ripping off the veneer.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's wild that the official stance of SCOTUS appears to be that civil law is just calvinball and states can do whatever they want including overturning established constitutional rights as long as they make them civil offences instead of criminal ones. Might as well write a law banning all non-Republicans from voting, the Supreme Court says it isn't against the law as long as you only make it a civil offence where anyone can sue non-Republican voters for a billion dollars and not a criminal offence enforced by the police!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh hey, we're on page 666 now. Seems fitting, seeing how things are going.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mikl posted:

Oh hey, we're on page 666 now. Seems fitting, seeing how things are going.
Hail Satan (our permanent Republican rule)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

azflyboy posted:

Is there a chance that this gets blocked by a lower court?

Not in Texas. A big part of why the GOP pushes out these kinds of laws in that region is because the 5th circuit is extremely conservative even compared to the rest of the right wing judiciary.

morothar posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, behold RBG’s true legacy.

All because she was too selfish and stubborn to retire as an 80 year old woman who'd (barely) survived multiple bouts of cancer. At least Breyer's making indications he might retire before the midterms, though that still means a replacement has to get past the dual stupidity of Manchin and Sinema who'll cry about anyone too progressive.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

All because she was too selfish and stubborn to retire as an 80 year old woman who'd (barely) survived multiple bouts of cancer. At least Breyer's making indications he might retire before the midterms, though that still means a replacement has to get past the dual stupidity of Manchin and Sinema who'll cry about anyone too progressive.

On our timeline? Either he isn’t retiring - or, for maximum laughs, he’ll retire, and Manchin dies of COVID before the senate can vote, galvanizing Republican voters for 2024 with the new open slot, and allowing Trump or DeSantis 2024 to fill it with an ultra-chud.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not in Texas. A big part of why the GOP pushes out these kinds of laws in that region is because the 5th circuit is extremely conservative even compared to the rest of the right wing judiciary.

It's funny because the 5th is a federal circuit so there's no reason it should be more conservative than any other federal circuit because it's appointed and confirmed by the same people as any other circuit. The only reason it should differ is by chance on when seats open up.

So why is it. Because Democrats just unilaterally promised Republicans they wouldn't appoint any liberals to the 5th and then didn't.

E: but I'm sure they got a lot of political capital in exchange

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 2, 2021

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
If the main question is "who do we enjoin to prevent this law from taking effect?" can we sue the clerks of court to enjoin them from accepting civil actions based on this law or something like that?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
This is the equivalent of sovereign citizens trying to find that one way of doing things that works as a legal cheat code but in this case it actually worked. Saying they’re suing the wrong party without giving guidance as to who they can sue in a preliminary injunction is just absolute bullshit.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Jethro posted:

If the main question is "who do we enjoin to prevent this law from taking effect?" can we sue the clerks of court to enjoin them from accepting civil actions based on this law or something like that?

I’m feeling like folks get too hung up too far downstream, when it should be a basic question of jurisprudence. The correct answer should be along the lines of: “Did you fuckers not pay attention? Abortion is a right; any law that’s passed that tries to restrict that right in a way that can’t be justified relative to other rights and interests is unconstitutional and gets struck”
Philosophically, a law that’s passed in the full knowledge that it’s not constitutional is fundamentally null and void, regardless of implementation.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So since this law is all "one weird trick," could someone explain how this:

quote:

Notwithstanding any other law, a court may not award
costs or attorney's fees under the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure or
any other rule adopted by the supreme court under Section 22.004,
Government Code, to a defendant in an action brought under this
section.
Doesn't just allow legal harassment of all Texas citizens? Like, I know the intent is to allow legal harassment of abortion providers and counselors, but the text seems so broad that I don't see what's stopping non-lawyers from filing vexatious lawsuits against anyone regardless of merit.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

morothar posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, behold RBG’s true legacy.

Quoting for page 666.

GIRL BOSS, GIRL POWER, YOU CAN'T MAKE HER RESIGN OR LEAVE

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Doesn't just allow legal harassment of all Texas citizens? Like, I know the intent is to allow legal harassment of abortion providers and counselors, but the text seems so broad that I don't see what's stopping non-lawyers from filing vexatious lawsuits against anyone regardless of merit.
It's probably intentional to clog the courts with this useless poo poo.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jethro posted:

That is exactly the action that triggered this kerfuffle. It still might (lol) succeed on the merits, but SCOTUS was the last chance to issue a preliminary injunction, and they didn't.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The law the CDC claimed gives them the authority allows them to order fumigation, quarantines, etc. The CDC basically said that the "etc" includes broad economic policies like eviction moratoriums. The court was extremely dubious that this interpretation would be persuasive, and, even if Congress had intended to give the CDC the power to make literally any rules it wanted so long as it could tie them back to preventing the spread of disease, Congress cannot give such broad grants of authority that essentially delegate legislative power. It's notable that this was also the position of the Biden administration before congress failed to act.

I think the CDC can still be an effective institution without the power to do literally anything it wants so long as it can draw a relationship to disease.

Of course the eviction moratorium has more of a relationship to disease than the Muslim ban had to national security, interesting that back then the Roberts court ruled that it isn't the court's job to say whether the relationship to what the executive wants to do is good enough or not, and didn't mind congress doing some delegating when they liked what the delegatee was doing

Almost like they started with a conclusion in both cases and then picked contradictory rationalizations as convenient.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I suspect you could be countersued under the same statute if it was determined you were attempting to influence, aid, or abet anyone to procure an unlawful abortion. Or under a different cause of action, abuse of process or something like that if such a cause of action exists in Texas.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jethro posted:

One of the lawsuits attempted to do that and actually named every judge and every court clerk in the entire state as defendants. The appeals court basically said "lol that is stupid, they are not defendants, you cant do that". Which in a normal, sane world is right.

Except as Roberts wrote, this is a novel unprecedented situation where the state is deliberately trying to evade responsibility for their own laws, so a novel unprecedented solution should have been considered.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I suspect you could be countersued under the same statute if it was determined you were attempting to influence, aid, or abet anyone to procure an unlawful abortion. Or under a different cause of action, abuse of process or something like that if such a cause of action exists in Texas.
The first doesn't work if I'm not a citizen of Texas, though. The law is nicely asymmetric like that.

And yeah, I guess that's the question, are there any other sanctions beyond those prohibited by what I quoted to prevent that. You obviously can't commit perjury in your filing, but the text is very broad, "intent to aid and abet" an abortion seems like something that you could file against anyone without lying to the court, certainly against government figures who don't prosecute abortions.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
You can plead just about anything “on information and belief”, one weird trick to get to discovery

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
SCOTUS 2021: Rejoice, No More Roe v. Wade Scares

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Look, participating in interstate commerce probably aids or abets some abortion, somewhere.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny because the 5th is a federal circuit so there's no reason it should be more conservative than any other federal circuit because it's appointed and confirmed by the same people as any other circuit. The only reason it should differ is by chance on when seats open up.

So why is it. Because Democrats just unilaterally promised Republicans they wouldn't appoint any liberals to the 5th and then didn't.

E: but I'm sure they got a lot of political capital in exchange

That is not a thing they promised, and seems to be a wholly invented claim. Why do you believe this is true?

The Fifth circuit is conservative because a larger portion of its membership has been nominated under Republican administrations.

Democrat appointed: 5
Republican appointed: 12

The Ninth circuit is more liberal because a larger portion of its membership has been nominated under Democratic administrations (though Trump closed the gap substantially).

Democrat appointed: 16
Republican appointed: 13

It really is as simple as that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, participating in interstate commerce probably aids or abets some abortion, somewhere.

I fully expect people to start suing Google, Facebook, and so on, because being able to find information on the internet aids and abets access to abortion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

That is not a thing they promised, and seems to be a wholly invented claim. Why do you believe this is true?

The Fifth circuit is conservative because a larger portion of its membership has been nominated under Republican administrations.

Democrat appointed: 5
Republican appointed: 12

The Ninth circuit is more liberal because a larger portion of its membership has been nominated under Democratic administrations (though Trump closed the gap substantially).

Democrat appointed: 16
Republican appointed: 13

It really is as simple as that.

Nope, while childishly simple explanations may satisfy some, I'd advise you look into why Democratic presidents curiosity appointed so few judges to the fifth circuit. Different circuits didn't have different presidents at the same time.

quote:

In 2012, Fifth Circuit Judge Emilio Garza took “senior status,” a kind of semi-retirement that opened up a vacancy on the Fifth Circuit that Obama could have filled. The next year, Garza’s colleague Judge Carolyn Dineen King did the same.

Yet, thanks to the blue slip, Texas Sens. John Cornyn (R-TX) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) could veto anyone Obama nominated to these two Fifth Circuit vacancies. Indeed, Cornyn and Cruz were so intransigent that the Obama White House eventually gave up on trying to find nominees that the two men wouldn’t block.

As a result, Republicans now control 11 of the 16 active judgeships on the Fifth Circuit
https://archive.thinkprogress.org/democrats-play-nice-blue-slip-02b474ece78f/

Chaser:

quote:

Three years later, in a move that pretty much everyone on the planet who is not named “Patrick Leahy” knew would inevitably play out, now-Senate Judiciary Chair Chuck Grassley (R-IA) has decided that Democrats who object to a Trump judicial nominee can go beat eggs.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 2, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

They'd probably make that case about, say, selling general medical place cleanliness supplies to Planned Parenthood, yes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yes that's the point. The law was passed so that right wingers could engage in more state-sponsored terrorism against those people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If von Metternich is right that it’s ex post facto, sue every current and former member of the Texas government for every abortion that’s happened since Roe

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

VitalSigns posted:

Nope, while childishly simple explanations may satisfy some, I'd advise you look into why Democratic presidents curiosity appointed so few judges to the fifth circuit. Different circuits didn't have different presidents at the same time.

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/democrats-play-nice-blue-slip-02b474ece78f/

Chaser:

So what you actually meant by "Democrats just unilaterally promised Republicans they wouldn't appoint any liberals to the 5th" was "Republicans blocked democrats from appointing judges"... an entirely different claim, and something anyone with a pulse during the Obama years is well aware of.

Got it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes that's the point. The law was passed so that right wingers could engage in more state-sponsored terrorism against those people.
But what limits it to being used against those people, is my question? I know that's the intent, but there's no escape valve to limit who its used against.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But what limits it to being used against those people, is my question? I know that's the intent, but there's no escape valve to limit who its used against.

Judges’ discretion and the fact that you need a fair bit of money to either launch a lawsuit or make it go away

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LegendaryFrog posted:

So what you actually meant by "Democrats just unilaterally promised Republicans they wouldn't appoint any liberals to the 5th" was "Republicans blocked democrats from appointing judges"... an entirely different claim, and something anyone with a pulse during the Obama years is well aware of.

Got it.
No.

You can't be this illiterate, but okay if you want to pretend to be, I will spoon-feed you more from that article

quote:

To explain, there is a Senate tradition known as the “blue slip,” which gives home-state senators an outsized influence upon who gets appointed to federal courts within their state. When a judge-in-waiting is nominated, home state senators indicate that they approve of that judge by literally returning a blue slip of paper to the Senate Judiciary chair. What actually happens if a senator refuses to return this blue slip (or indicates on the slip that they oppose the nominee), however, is up to the chair.

When Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) chaired the committee under his fellow Republican President George W. Bush, Hatch implemented a policy that “return of a negative blue slip by one or both home-state Senators does not prevent the committee from moving forward with the nomination — provided that the Administration has engaged in pre-nomination consultation with both of the home-state Senators.” The late Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA), who chaired the committee from 2005-07, allowed a single home state senator to veto a federal trial judge, but not a more powerful appellate nominee.

Yet, when Leahy took over the committee in 2007, he implemented a strict blue slip rule in an apparent effort to reach across the aisle to Republicans. “I have steadfastly protected the rights of the minority,” Leahy said in 2012. “I have done so despite criticism from Democrats. I have only proceeded with judicial nominations supported by both home state Senators.”

The Democrats who criticized Leahy for this practice at the time were correct. Not long after President Donald Trump took office, Grassley abandoned Leahy’s policy.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 2, 2021

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I mean it’s probably less than $500 to file one suit pro se. You are painting a target on your pocketbook though for counterclaims.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

No.

You can't be this illiterate, but okay if you want to pretend to be, I will spoon-feed you more from that article

yeah but Vermont kept reelecting him so the can's got more road for the kicking here

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

I fully expect people to start suing Google, Facebook, and so on, because being able to find information on the internet aids and abets access to abortion.

You jest but with the way things are going, this could backfire and cause those companies to start censoring anything related to reproductive rights.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sue Georgia-Pacific and Uline for selling supplies lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

You jest but with the way things are going, this could backfire and cause those companies to start censoring anything related to reproductive rights.

It's not a joke, I honestly expect Texans to start suing internet companies for allowing other Texans to access information about abortion. For example, you could sue Google Maps for allowing someone to get directions from their house to the nearest out-of-state abortion clinic. Probably also textbook companies, medical publishers, and anyone who promotes sex education other than abstinence and marital sex for procreation.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

It's not a joke, I honestly expect Texans to start suing internet companies for allowing other Texans to access information about abortion. For example, you could sue Google Maps for allowing someone to get directions from their house to the nearest out-of-state abortion clinic. Probably also textbook companies, medical publishers, and anyone who promotes sex education other than abstinence and marital sex for procreation.

Medium-term solution: move ops out of the state. What’s TX going to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

morothar posted:

Medium-term solution: move ops out of the state. What’s TX going to do?

That's what my sister is doing and it sucks but I don't blame her.

Not strictly because of this (she made the decision months ago) but because of an endless avalanche of poo poo like this.

The blizzard was the last straw but she was already considering it because of all the ways the state government is always loving with people from weed to women's bodies. She's married and she doesn't want kids and now if her birth control fails she'd have to get a loving flight to New Mexico to take care of it

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 2, 2021