Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
If you're small and expanding slowly just state everything. Otherwise you'll want to be more selective on account of the state limit. Prioritize states with high development provinces, centers of trade, areas with your primary culture or cultures you've promoted/will promote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Another thing to keep in mind is that state maintenance increases with distance from your capital, with a flat increase if the state is on a different continent. It also gets increased in provinces that aren't an accepted culture, but in order to accept a culture, you need to have at least 20 development of that culture in a state.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

State everything if you are small, being choosy with states is something you do when you are huge and conquering poor territory

Even if the provinces in a state have high autonomy you can still drop estates in there and remove the autonomy penalty for one of the dev types (aka put clergy in places with high admin development and enjoy the immediate boost in tax income)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also for the page number:

Hail Satan when are we getting a monks and mystics expansion for eu4

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Saw this on reddit, full Ryukyu conquest by 1664. Not sure how the exploit works but seems interesting, for sure.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kMsBL

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Elendil004 posted:

Saw this on reddit, full Ryukyu conquest by 1664. Not sure how the exploit works but seems interesting, for sure.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kMsBL

You raze Kyoto to a 3 development province and then you give it to a vassal and take it back. Taking Kyoto triggers an event which gives you monarch points and prestige, you use that prestige to set liberty desire on the vassal back to 0 and you loop for infinite monarch points.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

uPen posted:

You raze Kyoto to a 3 development province and then you give it to a vassal and take it back. Taking Kyoto triggers an event which gives you monarch points and prestige, you use that prestige to set liberty desire on the vassal back to 0 and you loop for infinite monarch points.

I'm not even sure how I'd get to Kyoto as Ryukyu

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

I'm not even sure how I'd get to Kyoto as Ryukyu

Ryuku openings are hard no matter what but once you get going Kyoto is nearby and a non-unified Japan isn't that much of a threat Japan isn't

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I haven't played ryukyu in awhile but it used to involve colonizing the Philippines and using that income to conquer the East Indies before hitting korea/japan/the disintegrated remains of ming.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Now if you're doing it "legitimately" it's sort of like that except once you've got the colonial distance you're island hopping over to Ethiopia and turning Coptic for the coring savings and extra missionaries. Maybe tag-switch to Mughals if that locale is easily conquerable. Then you continue pretty much the same as before.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

- You will need to spend admin points again to core the provinces underneath the state but this means you will have the 50 years before your claim on it disappears. You can create a state owning only one of the provinces if you core enemy provinces in that manner it is "expensive;" you have to pay it all in one lump sum versus half then and half when you state it when you have the entire section of land under your control.

On the other hand it does turn future claims back into a full 10% reduction instead of an effective 5% reduction since you get their discount on the whole process instead of just the territorial core.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Playing as reformed Aztec, my income just plummeted, and I noticed that my gold provinces, all with 10 production, are giving me 7.33 gold per month instead of 9. Why? They did not deplete, and certainly not all at once. I don't have any events affecting production. Does some unseen force reduce gold income at some point?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had AI Morocco form Andalusia in my Kongo game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Playing as reformed Aztec, my income just plummeted, and I noticed that my gold provinces, all with 10 production, are giving me 7.33 gold per month instead of 9. Why? They did not deplete, and certainly not all at once. I don't have any events affecting production. Does some unseen force reduce gold income at some point?

Inflation and/or autonomy?

E: according to the wiki there are no events that change the price of gold

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 29, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

Inflation and/or autonomy?

My inflation has certainly been going up, yes, but I had an income of +12g/mo switch to -6/mo or something like that. No autonomy changes.

I lowered my inflation manually a couple times to check and it has no affect on income from gold. I'm thoroughly confused. I have to gut my army because of this and I don't know why.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant find any of my other good examples, but that one just shows how dumb the luck is.
At least you got that one point in maneuver. :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

You probably got an event the reduces goods produced.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
That shouldn't mean it changes mid-game for the worse though. e:^ well you just totally changed what your post said

Check your triggered modifiers, there's one called "rapid collapse of society" for Native Americans, maybe that's causing it? I forget if it impacts goods produced but I wouldn't be surprised.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 29, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

You probably got an event the reduces goods produced.

That would explain it, but I didn't get any. I pay attention to events, but its entirely possible I missed it. I'm not going to be able to swim in my gold vault like Scrooge McDuck anymore.

Koramei posted:

That shouldn't mean it changes mid-game for the worse though.

Check your triggered modifiers, there's one called "rapid collapse of society" for Native Americans, maybe that's causing it? I forget if it impacts goods produced but I wouldn't be surprised.

I've reformed, so I can't get that modifier anymore and I get "real" income from gold instead of native income from it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well part of the problem is that a gold mine with 10 production should be producing 6.67 ducats a month, not 9. So you probably lost a bonus to goods produced, like prosperity.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Fister Roboto posted:

Just had AI Morocco form Andalusia in my Kongo game.

that super owns

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Ok, done with Ming. Let's try the new Hungary, first 10 years are quiet anyway with a regenc...

Well then. :getin:

:stare:

And just as I am about to finish integrating Austria... Bohemia gets PU'd. Not even 100 years in.

Hail (Hungarian) Satan.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thought I was doing pretty well for myself on this Third Way as Pate run (Mzab is way too hard) and uh, I think my endboss is already way too big.

e: lost a war with Ethiopia and I went to check on the Ottomans again and :catstare:

I think this one's done. Next time I'll go exploration first and go around the horn to meet up with Morocco cause it takes too long for Institutions to pop up in the Horn and it's a constant bloodbath over there anyway.

Eej fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 29, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

Well part of the problem is that a gold mine with 10 production should be producing 6.67 ducats a month, not 9. So you probably lost a bonus to goods produced, like prosperity.

They all jumped back up to nine, so everything is back to normal. I must have had an event that lowered production and missed it. I didn't have anything on the current effects screen. Weird.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Maybe taking a 99 warscore peace deal against France in a war that took me down to -100k manpower wasn't the best idea...but you know what, gently caress France and their colonies.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Elendil004 posted:

Maybe taking a 99 warscore peace deal against France in a war that took me down to -100k manpower wasn't the best idea...but you know what, gently caress France and their colonies.

gently caress France is always the right option.

As for finance issues - should I always have a level 1 one of each advisor or do I hold off till financing allows. And are Monarch points only for tech + ideas or should I be developing my capital? or its whole state?
Edit: And should I boost autonomy in recent conquests, or only if they're low development or just beat up those Rebel Scum. Or does it depend on manpower?

England has been getting always dunked on so after the first war, it's not such a big issue. Even in my other runs England routinely gets wrecked.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 30, 2017

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Good Poland advice!

Thanks for the good post man, really appreciate it! Took your advice and took most of the Pontic Steppe to cutoff Muscovy and the hordes. Hard to say if the land was worth it though because I'm not stating it - waiting for the Commonwealth decision to state accepted culture territory.

Speaking of which, neat to see people posting advice about states as well. On that note, if you do have the opportunity to inherit a lot of land like annexing a vassal, incorporating a PU or a decision like the Commonwealth one what's a good way to weigh the cost versus the benefits? It almost seems like it you can't state all the land it's better to leave it under indirect control. For instance, I'm thinking of waiting until Admin Tech 12 to form the Commonwealth instead of 10 for the three extra states. Is that the right kind of thinking or am I underestimating the benefits of 75% autonomy land?

Edit:

Veloxyll posted:

As for finance issues - should I always have a level 1 one of each advisor or do I hold off till financing allows. And are Monarch points only for tech + ideas or should I be developing my capital? or its whole state?
Edit: And should I boost autonomy in recent conquests, or only if they're low development or just beat up those Rebel Scum. Or does it depend on manpower?

For the finance issues, in general I'd say Monarch Points are more valuable than gold once you have enough gold to get by particularly as the game goes on, but of course you don't want to go bankrupt. Therefore, it seems like a good idea to buy the highest level advisors you can afford while still turning a profit for military and buildings.

Developing your capital or other land probably isn't usually as worthwhile as spending it on Tech or Ideas, but there are different circumstances where it makes sense. Seeding institutions makes sense for ones you can't spawn yourself. There are also different development thresholds that can be worthwhile to meet. If you have the latest DLC getting a 30 Development City is a goal in the Age of Discovery. Likewise different development thresholds contribute to institution spread as well.

Finally, I don't boost autonomy unless I have too. Like you said it depends on your manpower and military - check the rebel size and if you can't handle them it makes sense. But otherwise in order for the land to really benefit you the autonomy needs to tick down so increasing it is counter productive. QuarkJets made a good point earlier about using Estates to negate the autonomy for tax/production/manpower (clergy/burghers/nobles respectively). If you do have to increase autonomy in a recently conquered province assigning it to an estate may be a good idea (Clergy will decrease the Unrest by 2 more if they're >60% loyalty as well).

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 30, 2017

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Trade Leagues makes no sense right now. Why is it normal for Anhalt to join a trade league with Genoa f.ex? They do not even share any trade nodes so the relationship is pointless. All it does is make Anhalt having wierd alliances.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

CatsPajamas posted:

Thanks for the good post man, really appreciate it! Took your advice and took most of the Pontic Steppe to cutoff Muscovy and the hordes. Hard to say if the land was worth it though because I'm not stating it - waiting for the Commonwealth decision to state accepted culture territory.

Speaking of which, neat to see people posting advice about states as well. On that note, if you do have the opportunity to inherit a lot of land like annexing a vassal, incorporating a PU or a decision like the Commonwealth one what's a good way to weigh the cost versus the benefits? It almost seems like it you can't state all the land it's better to leave it under indirect control. For instance, I'm thinking of waiting until Admin Tech 12 to form the Commonwealth instead of 10 for the three extra states. Is that the right kind of thinking or am I underestimating the benefits of 75% autonomy land?

Edit:

For the finance issues, in general I'd say Monarch Points are more valuable than gold once you have enough gold to get by particularly as the game goes on, but of course you don't want to go bankrupt. Therefore, it seems like a good idea to buy the highest level advisors you can afford while still turning a profit for military and buildings.

Developing your capital or other land probably isn't usually as worthwhile as spending it on Tech or Ideas, but there are different circumstances where it makes sense. Seeding institutions makes sense for ones you can't spawn yourself. There are also different development thresholds that can be worthwhile to meet. If you have the latest DLC getting a 30 Development City is a goal in the Age of Discovery. Likewise different development thresholds contribute to institution spread as well.

Finally, I don't boost autonomy unless I have too. Like you said it depends on your manpower and military - check the rebel size and if you can't handle them it makes sense. But otherwise in order for the land to really benefit you the autonomy needs to tick down so increasing it is counter productive. QuarkJets made a good point earlier about using Estates to negate the autonomy for tax/production/manpower (clergy/burghers/nobles respectively). If you do have to increase autonomy in a recently conquered province assigning it to an estate may be a good idea (Clergy will decrease the Unrest by 2 more if they're >60% loyalty as well).

What is the benefit of getting 30 development in a city? cause that's a lot of Monarch points in Lisboa that could be spent on better armies or earlier colonists?

(I may be going for a few Portugese cheevos. Like having a colony all the way in Indonesia before 1500. On that note, is it only colonies you found that boost exploration range, because I unjustified declared on Johor, took, cored and stated a province, and still couldn't explore further around Africa.)

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
A province at 30 development gets you Splendour during the first age (which lasts until the Reformation + a few years), and one if the bonuses you can pick as Portugal is a whopping +50 settler growth.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
If you capture a province, core it, give it back to your neighbour and take it again later do you have to core it again?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

snoremac posted:

If you capture a province, core it, give it back to your neighbour and take it again later do you have to core it again?

Yes. Giving the province to someone else willingly ALWAYS removes cores. The only way not to lose a core is to lose the province in a war while it's part of a state and you paid the second half of the coring cost.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
New Dev Diary on Patriarch Authority: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-30th-of-may-2017.1025986/

You can now spend 10 PA to get 20 years of

code:
 icon_michael = {
                discipline = 0.05
                manpower_recovery_speed = 0.1

icon_eleusa = {
                global_unrest = -3
                harsh_treatment_cost = -0.25

icon_pancreator = {
                development_cost = -0.10
                build_cost = -0.1

icon_nicholas = {
                improve_relation_modifier = 0.25
                ae_impact = -0.1

icon_climacus = {
                global_institution_spread = 0.25
                embracement_cost = -0.2
Also in a state with 30+ development you can gain 5 PA at the cost of permanent higher state maintenance.

EDIT: Stream confirms release date as June 14th.

Tendronai fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 30, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CatsPajamas posted:

Yeah I waited a while to State most of that land because it is all off-culture and poor. I had accepted Ruthenian so I stated a bunch of the Ukraine once I formed the Commonwealth. It is mostly poor, too, but a bunch of it is farmland and grassland. I ended up eventually accepting Muscovite because I was trashing Russia so hard and they had developed the poo poo out of a bunch of land. Simply owning that land even at 75% autonomy is worth it, though, to stop the Ottomans and Russians from taking or vassalizing the owners. And the state limit goes up over time and you may be able to state it one day.

Weighing the costs vs benefits of annexing/inheriting a country can depend on personal preference. A separate country has its own manpower pool, set of accepted cultures, and can state all the land, thus getting the best benefit possible from said land. However, they may use that land poorly (develop production in grain and wool provinces, build forcelimits buildings and courhouses), have forts in poor locations, and do dumb things with their army. All of that is why I say it is personal preference - I think the AI benefits from having subjects because it gives them more bodies, but I prefer to be a centralized state because I then chose where the forts go, where the armies march, and what buildings are built.

There are also side questions, such as trade nodes - if you have a subject pulling trade away from your main node, I would annex them as soon as possible unless there are huge benefits to having the subject be where it is.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

What are typical specs your computer needs to run this game faster? Do you need a faster processor, more RAM or a SSD?

When I see YouTube videos of guys like Arumba and FlorryWorry I always wonder why mine runs so slow.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I bought some RAM and the game ran way faster so try that. CPU is probably the other bottleneck.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tendronai posted:

New Dev Diary on Patriarch Authority: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-30th-of-may-2017.1025986/

Also in a state with 30+ development you can gain 5 PA at the cost of permanent higher state maintenance.

Giving a one time bonus to PA strikes me as really weird. Seems like it would make much more sense to give you a ticking increase for each Metropolitan.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Giving a one time bonus to PA strikes me as really weird. Seems like it would make much more sense to give you a ticking increase for each Metropolitan.
Yeah a small one time bonus for a permanent modifier / penalty to state maintenance seems a little meh.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

I really dislike it from an elegance perspective but I can see what they're going for. Based on how PA is generated (you only ever get it in big chunks of some multiple of 5) it would be a bit weird suddenly getting a constant trickle from Metropolitans and wouldn't play well with the existing systems.

I feel like it's almost a no brainer to generate metropolitans as quickly as possible though; if you were given the decision to take a permanent 10% increase in state maintenance in exchange for starting the game with 100 PA I think you would always take that decision, and the benefit given by Metropolitans is actually better than that in the long term. Or to put it another way, the cost to have an icon active for the entire game is 190PA which is equivalent to having 38 metropolitans; this is probably reasonably achievable as Russia. The icon bonuses are sufficiently good that a mere 10% state maintenance increase is well worth it. And you get the occasionally useful devestation reduction bonus as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno, I think it's an interesting choice. Every other religion you can get the bonuses passively over time, whereas for Orthodox now you'll be having to actively expand/ develop to reap the benefits. It's a different style from the normal "sit and wait for the bars to tick up".

• Locked thread