Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

Truth be told having it stuffed full actually puts less wear and tear on a freezer. The mass holds the temp way better than just cold air.

Anyway a chest freezer is great and I love mine.

This is less important for chest freezers, actually. It's not the "holding of the temp" that matters, it's what happens when you open the door. Cold air spills out and is replaced by room temperature air, which must then be chilled. Upright freezers, the cold air spills out. Chest freezers don't spill out air, since cold air isn't as buoyant as hot air so it stays all nestled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nothing says "first world problems" like having a dedicated freezer full of meat and convenience foods/frozen prepared foods and still being able to say "I'm hungry, there's nothing to eat"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

Nothing says "first world problems" like having a dedicated freezer full of meat and convenience foods/frozen prepared foods and still being able to say "I'm hungry, there's nothing to eat"

Story of my life

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Suspect Bucket posted:

Unfortunately, my roomates in this situation are my parents. Happy father's day, everyone!

We've all been there...and continue to be there...for the foreseeable future... :cripes:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

GrAviTy84 posted:

To their credit, it was mostly stuff like bags of vegetables, meat that was on sale, freezer jams and sauces, ect. Oh, and the ice cream. Mom and dad just are so used to needing loads of freezer stocked stuff in case of like, coming home after a long day and just defrosting a jar of sauce, or having to stay stocked up in case the union called a strike. Again, I have been on their case for months about this, to the point where they were getting annoyed at me in return. This is a massive "I Told You So".

Also, eating steak for lunch at work is great, I highly recommend it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nah I wasnt calling you out, mostly talking about me. Lol. I gots like curries, frozen burritos, pizzas, etc and I'm still like "hey yeah I'm just gonna eat out"

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Good pulled pork recipe that isn't loaded with sugar?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

Chef steps has a good smokeless recipe. Basically brine pork shoulder in smoked salt and liquid smoke. Then quick brine in pink salt for an hour or so (optional). Svizzle at 158 for 24 hours or Wrap in foil and roast at 225 for 4 hours. Unwrap, glaze with umami stuff, finish in oven. Link https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-pork-shoulder

I think the brine step is a bit wasteful, I'd dry brine with smoked salt, some smoked paprika, and garlic powder. The pink salt step is nifty but unnecessary so you can skip that. Personally I'd skip the sugar completely, sweet barbecue is hella overrated.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Pork.... I have a pork shoulder in the oven right now for Kenji's carnitas with 45 minutes to go. Salivating.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's the pink salt step for, to create an artificial "smoke" ring?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yes and nothing else

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

...and modern food crops. Pretty much no modern vegetable looks anything at all like anything that would have been eaten by actual Paleolithic hominids. For example, a surprisingly large number of our current foods are from the genus Brassica---cabbage, collards, spinach, kale, rapini, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, turnips, rutabagas, and so on---and the oldest of these (kale) is only about 2500 years old (the Paleolithic era ending roughly 10,000 years ago). The majority of them were first developed by selective cultivation after the fall of Rome.

There's also the fact that widespread consumption of cereal crops was in fact a prerequisite for the development of agriculture (marking the end of the Paleolithic and beginning of the Neolithic era), rather than being a consequence of it, as generally assumed by people arguing for variations of the paleo diet.

subg have I ever told you I want you to come to all my houseparties

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

What's the pink salt step for, to create an artificial "smoke" ring?

Yes. It's completely silly but it actually works hilariously well.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Echeveria posted:

Don't worry about the sugar in the rub. There will only be a tiny amount of sugar per serving of pork with a normal rub. You are talking about 8-10 lbs of meat with at most a few tablespoons of sugar on the bark.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anyone know anything about "Salpicão de Frango"?

The Mrs. just texted me to ask you guys, I have no idea what the context is.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Spicing up the old love life, eh?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

no squashychat

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scientastic posted:

Spicing up the old love life, eh?

From a quick googling it's like this but with shoestring potatoes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It's like Portuguese chicken rice a roni, but with potatoes and stuff. It's good.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

therobit posted:

Don't worry about the sugar in the rub. There will only be a tiny amount of sugar per serving of pork with a normal rub. You are talking about 8-10 lbs of meat with at most a few tablespoons of sugar on the bark.

No I just don't like sweet meat, really.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Chef steps has a good smokeless recipe.

I've never brined meat in my life, but maybe I try.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

I've never brined meat in my life, but maybe I try.

Probably good enough to just pat dry a butt with paper towels, remoisten with liquid smoke, then heavily salt with smoked salt. Then throw into a ziploc bag for a day. from there rub with black pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic powder and wrap and roast, etc.

My favorite thing to put on pulled pork is a vinegar sauce to cut the richness. Cider vinegar, salt, touch of brown sugar just to temper the acidity (it shouldn't taste sweet, it should just make the sourness less abrasive on the palate), red chili flakes. Add some yellow mustard and minced garlic to gild the lily.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

no squashychat

No worries, you guys solved that problem at least 6 years ago.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's like Portuguese chicken rice a roni, but with potatoes and stuff. It's good.

This is a decent description. She has been fooling around with vegetarian versions all morning. Pretty good so far.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Probably good enough to just pat dry a butt with paper towels, remoisten with liquid smoke, then heavily salt with smoked salt. Then throw into a ziploc bag for a day. from there rub with black pepper, smoked paprika, and garlic powder and wrap and roast, etc.

My favorite thing to put on pulled pork is a vinegar sauce to cut the richness. Cider vinegar, salt, touch of brown sugar just to temper the acidity (it shouldn't taste sweet, it should just make the sourness less abrasive on the palate), red chili flakes. Add some yellow mustard and minced garlic to gild the lily.

I'm so hungry and thinking about pulled pork isn't helping. But now I want to go buy a really nice proper roast and do this.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

No worries, you guys solved that problem at least 6 years ago.

Shame, I like Squashychat. :quagmire:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made salmon meuniere, and I didn't gently caress it up...as much! I didn't have whole garlic or parsley, and I ended up using way too much lemon juice, but it was still delicious. It turns out the secret to a butter sauce is low heat, cold butter, and taking it off the heat as soon as the butter melts. I totally want to do it again, once I get a chance. It also taught me that I REALLY can't eyeball measurements at all - I massively underestimated how much lemon juice I used, and it was probably closer to 1/4 cup than a tablespoon.

Edit: Tried making it again, and I think I got it right this time! It's just a very lemony sauce by nature, and it turned out quite nice. I'll prolly pour it onto some pasta tomorrow.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 20, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Protip: The "clear" button does something different than the "start" button on the timer.

(guess what I just did!)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

Did sorta this. Couldn't get a butt so I grabbed two loins and it worked ok, but next time I will plan ahead better and go get a butt from the butcher at the market. There wasn't enough fat in the tenderloins but they did the job and tasted great. I still can't chew so my lame dinner last night was pulled pork and mashed potatoes.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
:btroll: Fatty Fat Fat Question

What's the best off-menu stuff to get at the fast food places you go to? You ever combine items like the mcgangbang?

I like ordering jalapeno poppers to add to chicken sandwiches to recreate the lost chicken El Diablo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I didn't think people actually did that.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Brought white coworker to a very niche Xian hand pulled noodles place. He asked if they have hot and sour soup.

This is why you can't have nice things.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

He probably expected a noodle dish to be $5 tops, too.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I made salmon meuniere, and I didn't gently caress it up...as much! I didn't have whole garlic or parsley, and I ended up using way too much lemon juice, but it was still delicious. It turns out the secret to a butter sauce is low heat, cold butter, and taking it off the heat as soon as the butter melts. I totally want to do it again, once I get a chance. It also taught me that I REALLY can't eyeball measurements at all - I massively underestimated how much lemon juice I used, and it was probably closer to 1/4 cup than a tablespoon.

Edit: Tried making it again, and I think I got it right this time! It's just a very lemony sauce by nature, and it turned out quite nice. I'll prolly pour it onto some pasta tomorrow.

That recipe is vague. Lightly brown your garlic in oil, then add the wine. Burn the alcohol out of your wine and reduce it by half. Then mount your butter, then add your lemon juice (some) and reduce to desired thickness (add more lemon juice to taste, fresh is always better than cooked.) Done.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The one true heezy posted:

That recipe is vague. Lightly brown your garlic in oil, then add the wine. Burn the alcohol out of your wine and reduce it by half. Then mount your butter, then add your lemon juice (some) and reduce to desired thickness (add more lemon juice to taste, fresh is always better than cooked.) Done.

When I tried to mount my butter my wife threatened me with divorce. :rimshot:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Please explain mounting butter. How is it different from just chucking in a chunk of butter to melt, or the butter you used to sautée your onions or whatever?

E: wtf phone

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Please explain mounting butter. How is it different from just chucking in a chunk of butter to melt, or the butter you used to sautée your onions or whatever?

E: wtf phone

It's the addition of butter at the end of cooking and emulsifying it into the sauce to give the sauce body. Unlike sauteing where the water likely evaporates completely.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

They often refer to on TV as "finishing with butter"

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I know what it is, but chemically, why? Isn't the fat more important than the water?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's an emulsion, if it wasn't you would just have grease floating on top of your sauce

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I know what it is, but chemically, why? Isn't the fat more important than the water?

So when you whip or boil water and fat hard it becomes cloudy because it is binding together. I don't know about the exact science but basically oil and water can--and do--bind to each other temporarily, but emulsifying agents like lecithin (which is in garlic and other stuff like mustard and maybe complex sugars or whatever makes booze do this) stabilize the emulsification if held under the right conditions. That emulsification of the solids and fats in butter to whatever else is what makes your sauce all thick and awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

subg have I ever told you I want you to come to all my houseparties

I'd come to this house party, if for no other reason than to see phlux and subG having at some kind of argument or something. Things with current guy going well. I'm planning on seeing him after he does some kind of PhD proposal defence thing. Mondays are my short days, so I'll be out of work relatively early.

RE: Freezer chat

I find that all that "omg it was on sale" to be kind of irritating. I'll keep on hand a few frozen veg (peas are pretty great when frozen), curry leaves (they keep longer than in the fridge, and whenever I go to Montreal, bears loads me up with giant amounts of the stuff from their local market), coconut (because I can't go through an entire coconut on my own), and coconut cream (it comes in a fairly large tetra pack, and I don't go through all of it at once, so I freeze it in ice trays, and put the cubes into freezer bags). Also, the container for the ice cream maker (I like those sorbet situations, but the ones from the store are too sweet for my liking, so I've been experimenting with making my own). I still leaves me enough space to have a shelf free for making ice.

I find that when there's too much stuff in either the fridge, freezer, or pantry, I end up with indecision, and just make like daal and rice and call it a night. I realised that it was easier for me to be motivated to cook when there wasn't quite as much stuff laying about. It doesn't make any sense, but there you go.