Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OSad posted:

What's good about the Gneisenau: it goes really fast.

What's bad about the Gneisenau: everything else.

The real problem is that it has a BB icon so people think that they're in a battleship, when it's really a superheavy cruiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

And sonar....and shells with good arcs......

I saw Flamu playing it today and it seems like a pre-nerf Khabarovsk....

At the very least the line should be giving up something to get the sonar. There is no reason a main destroyer line should be getting a bonus consumable when none of the other lines do, especially since it's such a good one, when it already seems roughly on par with the other lines in terms of capabilities in everything else. Not even getting into the bullshit imaginary AA on it. Just a continuation of both the imaginary T10 destroyers having better AA than their actually designed and built counterparts.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I think the power creep is what really puts the early ship trees at a disadvantage.

When they added Russians and Germans they each had their own unique gimmicks, which the initial ship trees miss.

US vs KM BBs - good AA on a BB is a poor alternative to sonar and long range secondaries. Brits vs other nations - having smoke on cruisers is significantly better than having somewhat lower detectability.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hammerstein posted:

I think the power creep is what really puts the early ship trees at a disadvantage.

When they added Russians and Germans they each had their own unique gimmicks, which the initial ship trees miss.

US vs KM BBs - good AA on a BB is a poor alternative to sonar and long range secondaries. Brits vs other nations - having smoke on cruisers is significantly better than having somewhat lower detectability.

Literally the same thing they did with WoT. No joke. The problems you run into when putting 'paper' designs up against actual real life stuff gets wonky very very quickly. Nevermind getting into spotting mechanics and all sorts of arbitrary stuff.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This could be somewhat alleviated by giving IJN the fast torpedo reload as a separate skill instead of replacing smoke, but then Shimakaze would create even more great walls of torpedoes. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that could possibly be a bonus skill for a line that purportedly uses torpedoes for all of their damages, yet has inferior torpedoes.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

The real problem is that it has a BB icon so people think that they're in a battleship, when it's really a superheavy cruiser.

A Cruiser can at least turn pretty well. On the other hand, Gneisenau has trouble gently swaying to the sides, and when you do you better order that wedding cake in advance because you're getting married to that turn for quite a while.

It also doesn't help that it still has Battleship guns on what for all intents and purposes is a Cruiser that's eaten too many schnitzels. It'd be great to have a gun option that puts more of them per turret but NOPE, gotta put the actual fun setup to play on a premium ship and make a lot of money off of it. Considering the guns are a lot smaller than the Nagato's but the accuracy somehow is still very comparable, it makes you wonder if fewer turrets and guns per turret really does translate into better accuracy in Wargaming's mind. This thing should have sub-200 meters dispersion for only having six guns but it doesn't.

Is it better to run reload or accuracy mod on it? The number of secondaries is downright mediocre with the hull upgrade so I'm not holding hope for a secondary build.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lord Koth posted:

There is no reason a main destroyer line should be getting a bonus consumable when none of the other lines do, especially since it's such a good one, when it already seems roughly on par with the other lines in terms of capabilities in everything else.

Of course there is. It's called 'getting Wehraboos to buy premium'.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OSad posted:

What's good about the Gneisenau: it goes really fast.

What's bad about the Gneisenau: everything else.

She is also the prettiest and sexiest. A nice slender waif of a battleship. The Bayern and Bismarck both feel like riding a big butch woman while the Gnei is a smooth sailing lady all the way. I have real soft spot for her.

In all seriousness, I have never been in any other T7 BB but in all the games I have logged on the Gnei, I would take her over the Colorado or the Nagato any day. I have never been afraid of either ship and I always welcome the fight if they show up head to head. She is fast, has good citadel and bow armor. She sits really low on the water compared to other BBs so she takes a lot of overpen on superstructures where other BBs in that tier are just going to eat the full 1/3 pen damage. Sure her upper belt armor is weak but at T7, no one's belt armor is really stopping much of anything given the size of BB guns and its just thick enough to avoid overmatch so you can still angle.

Having 6 guns is kind of gimpy but I love brawling with her just the same since the torpedos are the great equalizer. The only difference I found is that you can't gently caress up like in Bayern and just decide to turn around and extract. Once you commit to the brawl, you are loving all in on that attack.

edit: Btw thanks a ton for everyone who has helped me out by answering my stupid questions and linking relevant videos. My WTR rating has shot up like 45 points in 3 weeks of play even though I have been sucking balls in the Bismarck.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 20, 2016

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Some people say that correct way to play Russian cruisers is to sit back and spam HE. This is not correct. Correct procedure is to close range and ram AP shell into throat of fascist.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Some people say that correct way to play Russian cruisers is to sit back and spam HE. This is not correct. Correct procedure is to close range and ram AP shell into throat of fascist.

It is correct, because the worthless AP from tier 6 to 8 bounces on angled destroyers, let alone anything that actually has armour. Getting instantly nuked after doing nothing for 9 battles because you decided to go into ranges owned by other ships is not worth the one battle you get to multicitadel one or two bad RN, German, or US cruisers who give you a perfect 90 degree broadside. I don't put IJN there because several times I've had both Myoko and Atago bounce Schors shells from a flat, perfect broadside hit to the waterline.

Russian cruisers absolutely belong as far away as possible, slinging HE over the top of battleships doing what they're supposed to do, and using tight shot dispersion to ward off destroyers, and giving themselves the maximum possible time to haul those fat hulls around incoming fire.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:kamina:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The next premium is out of left field

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

This game needs more A hull Nagatos floating around.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Patch notes up. I'm really glad they nerfed that OP monster, the....Mutsuki? :confuoot:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NTRabbit posted:

The next premium is out of left field

Is that the Mutsu?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

looks like a retarded warspite

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
*unable to hoist Juliet Charlie signals

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Night10194 posted:

Is that the Mutsu?

It's Nagato with a special paint job Yes, it's the Mutsu

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Victor Surge posted:

And it's amazing how this playstyle is absolutely epitomized in the Zao. You will do crazy amounts of damage this way. My average is 101k and that's only blue stat wise (although it's increasing rapidly).

I don't often do that well in the Zao because I struggle to overcome my natural tendency to charge in. If the stars align and I force myself to stay in concealment and burn BB's to the waterline, then yeah, I do that 100k damage.

Also, German DD chat, why can't they make hydro the optional choice with speed boost. Watching Flamu's video, how can that not be overpowered in its current state?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

Idle speculation has her potentially dropped a tier, like Konig Albert was. So long as she's not also stuck with the utter poo poo shells A hull Nagato gets, it could be reasonable. Or rather it would be if T6 wasn't stuck in nearly the same place as T5 at the moment - utterly hosed over by MM.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Astroniomix posted:

I haven't quite made it to the Nagato yet, but the rangefinders on the guns don't come on the A hull, and it looks like they're shown in the photo. Maybe it's the B hull? The Missouri is the Iowa B hull if I'm not mistaken, and the Texas is essentially the NY B hull so it would make more sense for them to do the same thing here.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'd buy a premium Nagato. That ship is Real Good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thundercakes posted:

I haven't quite made it to the Nagato yet, but the rangefinders on the guns don't come on the A hull, and it looks like they're shown in the photo. Maybe it's the B hull? The Missouri is the Iowa B hull if I'm not mistaken, and the Texas is essentially the NY B hull so it would make more sense for them to do the same thing here.

Mutsu only had the curved funnel for a period between her two rebuilds in 1924 and the early 1930s, so that would line up with the B hull

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Lord Koth posted:

Idle speculation has her potentially dropped a tier, like Konig Albert was.

A premium Nagato in T6 would be :vince:

She would outgun all of the other BBs in the tier, while also probably being the fastest BB too.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

A premium Nagato in T6 would be :vince:

She would outgun all of the other BBs in the tier, while also probably being the fastest BB too.

Nope. The dunk runs just under 30kts top speed. Nagato tops out at 25kts with the engine upgrade.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sure but dunk has crappy popguns compared to Nagato.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JuffoWup posted:

Nope. The dunk runs just under 30kts top speed. Nagato tops out at 25kts with the engine upgrade.

I always forget the Dunk is T6. My bad.

That speed would also make her equivalent to a fully upgraded Bayern too? I guess I thought the Nagato was faster than that.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Ah yes, the Mutsu. Proof that real life is fun and engaging.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
A 16" gun in T6 ranked would be nuts. Just overmatch every other ship.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Thundercakes posted:

The A hull is the only one for the tree nagato that uses that particualr Smokestack/conning tower setup. Also the tree Nagato never gets the little rangefinder on the forward turret, only the big ones on the middle two.

The real question is which AP shells it will use.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
You can't put a Nagato a tier lower and expect her 410's to remain untouched. They'll probably butcher the accuracy on top of the ship having sub-par AA with the B hull in order to force people to choose between Secondary Battery Modification or AA Modification.

You can't put Mutsu on tier 6 and expect Warspite to compete with The Slug. What does the Warspite even have on a Nagato sister at that point? Terrible turret rotation with smaller guns? Check. Half the volume of secondary fire? Check. Sits pretty high on the water? Check.

Has better concealment for a Battleship and some eleven odd meters of better dispersion? Check, I guess? Nagato excels at brawling so would that even count as a drawback?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

God imagine if this thing turns out to be a Nikolai at tier 6. Ranked would be so boned.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

OSad posted:

You can't put a Nagato a tier lower and expect her 410's to remain untouched. They'll probably butcher the accuracy on top of the ship having sub-par AA with the B hull in order to force people to choose between Secondary Battery Modification or AA Modification.

You can't put Mutsu on tier 6 and expect Warspite to compete with The Slug. What does the Warspite even have on a Nagato sister at that point? Terrible turret rotation with smaller guns? Check. Half the volume of secondary fire? Check. Sits pretty high on the water? Check.

Has better concealment for a Battleship and some eleven odd meters of better dispersion? Check, I guess? Nagato excels at brawling so would that even count as a drawback?

This sounds exactly like a thing WG would do. So it'll probably happen.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Not only that, but I'd also buy it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
3000 gold supercontainer. drat.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Vatek posted:

3000 gold supercontainer. drat.

Nice.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

17 hits. 3,800 damage. Fan loving tastic. Not even a fire. That's some bullshit right there.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CitizenKain posted:

If I had a choice of which trees would be next: RN Battleships and Destroyers, US light cruisers, French ships I guess, maybe Italians? Maybe that Pan Asian tree, but that would be mainly copies or something.

RN, France, Italy, Netherlands, and Soviet BBs. In that order. There is literally nothing to put in a pan asian tree except destroyer hand me downs.

You'd have more stuff to put in a South American tree.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I like how there isn't some mention of rn cvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

El Disco posted:

Patch notes up. I'm really glad they nerfed that OP monster, the....Mutsuki? :confuoot:

That's really a genius time to drop a patch on NA. Right about prime time.