Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enojy posted:

You know what Satan said about hell? "Welcome to hell, who gives a poo poo"

for your hell

WIZARD is one of his best guests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Like people blame Miyamoto for everything wrong with Paper Mario. He asked them to use Mario characters instead of original characters and not have so much text(because people complained Super Paper Mario had way too much).

No partners, no named characters, the battle system, the puzzle system, that's all on Intelligent Systems.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TaurusOxford posted:

Amazon.com currently has a sale on a 128GB for 45 dollars, 256GB for 90, and 512GB for 200.

:lol:

I'm just buying every game on cart and hoping games won't all have massive patches like current console games 'cause gently caress, man.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when was the last time nintendo developed a revelatory game and didn't merely incrementally improve on the previous solid installment. was it ocarina of time

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Super No Vacancy posted:

when was the last time nintendo developed a revelatory game and didn't merely incrementally improve on the previous solid installment. was it ocarina of time

Metroid Prime.

Super Mario Galaxy.

Arguably Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

Splatoon was last year.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

teagone posted:

90MB/s is the theoretical top speed. The card isn't guaranteed to hit that mark or sustain that speed. The card you linked was rated U1, which refers to its minimum realtime write speed. Ideally, I'd expect you'd want a U3 rated card since I'm assuming sustained write speeds will be important for some/most games. I could be wrong though! U1 rated cards have a min realtime write speed of 10MB/s, whereas a U3 rated card has a min realtime write speed of 30MB/s, i.e., a U3 rated card is roughly 3 times faster when it comes to its slowest/sustained write speed.

I would think read speed would be the important stat as it will affect how long it takes for your games to load. Loading a game from the microSD could take minutes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Splatoon was last year.

Oh so we can list non-sequeled installments?

Wii Sports.

Nintendogs.

Xenoblade.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Metroid Prime.

Super Mario Galaxy.

Arguably Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Ehhhh, Metroid Prime was Retro, and KI:U is Panzer Dragoon/Star Fox

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

Retro IS Nintendo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Since then, I'd say Animal Crossing, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Metroid Prime, Pikmin 3, Super Mario Maker, Boxboy, Pushmopullblox. Splatoon.

Yeah Retro IS Nintendo just as much as EAD. Or as much as Ubisoft Montreal is Ubisoft.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Retro is first party.

Kid Icarus split the ground action segments with rail shooter very well.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

Retro IS Nintendo

Fair enough. But Nintendo does likes its iterating sequels, but that's fine since we keep buying them and they're usually really good.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a big company that does change it's franchises up majorly?

At least not in a "following the crowd" type fashion.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Super No Vacancy posted:

Metroid Prime, maybe? Once it hit Wii, playing a first person shooter and actually, physically aiming was pretty revelatory, especially since controlling first person shooters on consoles is typically miserable. I first played it long after the fact, probably 2 or 3 years ago, and immediately fell in love with it. Although I cut my teeth during the golden age of PC FPS games, I found it to be a much better match to the style of game than dual analog sticks are.

Within their own bubble, definitely Splatoon. First person shooters are tired as gently caress, but Nintendo took the inverse of the formula by making it primarily about territory control instead of "killing" the other team, literally slapped a couple of fresh, neon coats of paint on it, and delivered one of their most popular franchises ever despite debuting on a dead console.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Iterative sequels" is hardly an issue unique to Nintendo.

Anyway, Mario 3D World counts on account of adding multiplayer.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

"Iterative sequels" is hardly an issue unique to Nintendo.

Anyway, Mario 3D World counts on account of adding multiplayer.

NSMBWii had simultaneous multiplayer :v:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What has Capcom, EA, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Bethesda, or Konami have done to revolutionize their existing franchises lately?

Edit - kudos points if you list in a good way.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

What has Capcom, EA, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Bethesda, or Konami have done to revolutionize their existing franchises lately?

Konami's taken all their properties to slot machines and pachinko halls, pretty ballsy imo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

NSMBWii had simultaneous multiplayer :v:

It wasn't in 3D and the previous game to 3D World in its own series was 3D Land.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Konami's taken all their properties to slot machines and pachinko halls, pretty ballsy imo.

Ok I'll give you that. But no kudos points. :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Splatoon is awesome.
It was a completely out of left field smash hit for the WiiU

If you are not going to buy Splatoon 2 I guarantee you'll miss out on one of the best games on the system.

Seriously make sure Splatoon 2 is factored into your shopping list for games this year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ok I'll give you that. But no kudos points. :colbert:

I care not for your kudos points tbqh

Infinitum posted:

Splatoon is awesome.
It was a completely out of left field smash hit for the WiiU

If you are not going to buy Splatoon 2 I guarantee you'll miss out on one of the best games on the system.

Seriously make sure Splatoon 2 is factored into your shopping list for games this year.

I doubt I'll get it if only because Nintendo's charging for multiplayer (eventually), and I don't think I'm going to be paying three consoles' subscriptions.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 16, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Paper Mario Sticker Star :unsmigghh:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

greatn posted:

Like people blame Miyamoto for everything wrong with Paper Mario. He asked them to use Mario characters instead of original characters and not have so much text(because people complained Super Paper Mario had way too much).

No partners, no named characters, the battle system, the puzzle system, that's all on Intelligent Systems.

Paper Mario is more or less a series Shigeru Miyamoto's helped create before handing it off to a new team. It started under Nintendo EAD when he was its General Manager with Intelligent Systems collaborating on the production. Miyamato was producer for Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. After the release of the Thousand Year Door, he took on a supervisory/business role for the series.

From then on, Intelligent Systems worked with Nintendo SPD on the Paper Mario games. SPD's General Manager, Kensuke Tanabe, became the producer of the series.

Apparently, moving into a more hands-off role as a supervisor meant Miyamoto got more and more of the blame for the game's shortcomings instead of the producer or director who worked on the game on a day-to-day basis.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Retro IS Nintendo

Fun Fact: Retro and Monolith Soft are wholly owned developers by Nintendo. Intelligent Systems and HAL Laboratory are actually independent companies that have close ties with Nintendo through joint ventures and co-development. Intelligent Systems even used Nintendo owned facilities for development before moving to their own offices in 2014.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

pretty ballsy imo.

medals-y

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As long as Nintendo are getting old dev teams back together

Reform the RARE devs and Blast Corp 2 kthx

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Going back to the UI talk for a second, god drat I hope they have folders if that's how they are looking at doing the UI this time.

I'm going full digital mostly for convenience, but also because physical games in NZ are actively more expensive than digital games using my AUS Nintendo Account, and gently caress having to wait a week if not more just to save a few bucks importing from a more affordable region.

My point being though is that one line of software is going to be a pain in the arse to navigate without folders when they start releasing more games, factoring in eShop stuff and at least 3 different VC platforms.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

ethanol posted:

It's kind of sad that rocket league is $20 and this is $60

It probably has a robust single player mode with story

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Has there been any official word regarding whether the eshop and VC are going to be available at launch? If they are they should be shouting that from the rooftops because it could help make up for the otherwise anemic launch.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crawfish posted:

Going back to the UI talk for a second, god drat I hope they have folders if that's how they are looking at doing the UI this time.

I'm going full digital mostly for convenience, but also because physical games in NZ are actively more expensive than digital games using my AUS Nintendo Account, and gently caress having to wait a week if not more just to save a few bucks importing from a more affordable region.

My point being though is that one line of software is going to be a pain in the arse to navigate without folders when they start releasing more games, factoring in eShop stuff and at least 3 different VC platforms.

Well they had folders on 3DS and WiiU.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Hello Switch thread! I sometimes play video games (very badly) and I am intrigued by the Switch! However, I don't know much of anything about anything.

So, the Switch is 300bux, right? Does it come with anything to play or are those all entirely separate?
It also seems that the Switch is sold out everywhere. Does that mean it's all done? Like, we won't be getting any more for launch?
And it also sounds like I'll need a memory card if I plan on getting multiple games.

So, just to make it clear, what will I need to enjoy this system? I will have to buy the system (obvs), games completely separate, a memory card, pro-controller, USB-C charger and external battery packs? Is this correct?

Thank you and have a good day.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Bomberman is going to have online play right?

I assumed but then remembered Nintendo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

BambooEarpick posted:

Hello Switch thread! I sometimes play video games (very badly) and I am intrigued by the Switch! However, I don't know much of anything about anything.

So, the Switch is 300bux, right? Does it come with anything to play or are those all entirely separate?
It also seems that the Switch is sold out everywhere. Does that mean it's all done? Like, we won't be getting any more for launch?
And it also sounds like I'll need a memory card if I plan on getting multiple games.

So, just to make it clear, what will I need to enjoy this system? I will have to buy the system (obvs), games completely separate, a memory card, pro-controller, USB-C charger and external battery packs? Is this correct?

Seperate
Selling out super quick, so try and preorder one somewhere for your specific country otherwise it might be a little bit before the 2nd wave of shipments hits
Memory card is a good idea if you are going to be downloading a bunch of games. If not I wouldn't stress if you're going to the cartridge route.

Your enjoyment needs are different to my enjoyment needs, and everybody elses.
Grab the accessories you know you'll be using and get extras when the need arises

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I wonder if game saves and such will save on the cart or system

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BambooEarpick posted:

Most places but not all are sold out of preorders. GameStop is working with Nintendo to get more preorders at the moment, and they will sell less units than are preordered(this happens with any launch as people cancel, scalpers return if they can't sell, people move their preorders to online retailers for free shipping, etc).

You won't need a memory card unless you are downloading the games because there aren't installs. I don't think you'd need one in the first few months at least.

It comes with the dock, USB C to AC adapter cable, HDMI cable, the system itself, left and right joycons, joycon straps, and joycon grip. Everything you would need for up to two players. No games included. The joycons charge when connected to the system. If you are going out you can use the same AC adapter you are using on the dock to plug your system directly in, but if that's hard to get to behind your entertainment center you may want another one.

Really no need for external battery packs either unless you plan on taking it out for really long periods of time in places without a plug.

All you really need to start is the system and whichever games you want.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Splatoon was last year.

be serious lmao

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BambooEarpick posted:

Switch comes with no bundled software; you'll have to buy a game.

GameStop claims they are sold out, and other retailers haven't allowed preorders again since presumably selling out, but Reggie said there'll be 2 million units shipped by launch -- Id say just keep your eyes peeled between then and now.

I think you could enjoy this system pretty fully for at least the first handful of months by buying just the core system and a game(s). Expanding the storage (microSD) will only be crucial if you plan on going primarily digital, and an external battery pack/USB-C charger if you plan on going primarily mobile. The Switch itself is only rated for 3-6 hours of battery life, but the Joy-Cons are 20 hours each, so if you're mainly playing at home, that extraneous stuff doesn't seem super necessary. As a comparison, the 3DS is only good for a similar amount of battery life, and there have been times I've drained it, but never felt like I needed to bolster it with charging stuff.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Iterating on success for more success is a good thing you bozos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

enojy posted:

Metroid Prime, maybe? Once it hit Wii, playing a first person shooter and actually, physically aiming was pretty revelatory, especially since controlling first person shooters on consoles is typically miserable. I first played it long after the fact, probably 2 or 3 years ago, and immediately fell in love with it. Although I cut my teeth during the golden age of PC FPS games, I found it to be a much better match to the style of game than dual analog sticks are.

Within their own bubble, definitely Splatoon. First person shooters are tired as gently caress, but Nintendo took the inverse of the formula by making it primarily about territory control instead of "killing" the other team, literally slapped a couple of fresh, neon coats of paint on it, and delivered one of their most popular franchises ever despite debuting on a dead console.

yeah i think metroid prime is the only other one that could reasonably considered a landmark title

• Locked thread