Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

^^ That's a drat good point.

What kind of moron plays hardball when your replacement is already in the studio, actively replacing you?

It wasn't even really a "read between the lines" situation; Howard was demonstrating that Jackie was no longer needed, right to his goddamn face.

The problem is that Howard seems to have believed that Jackie was no longer needed. I still think the show was funnier with Jackie, and getting rid of him damaged it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The show's evolved. :smithmouth:

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches
Good god almighty please tell me someone else on here is laughing way too hard at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTPEWsMTbE

The constant "cchhkt!" tauntings...Jackie's giggling...a veiled pedo reference...and the fact that at some point in time we were all nearly duped into seeing Episode I on opening night.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I love the delusion of Darth Maul.

"Was it good?"
"Well...uhh, I think... it had a lot of great scenes! If you break it down scene by scene... I think my favorite scene is the podracing scene, I'm kind of seeing it again just for that. (Read: the rest of the movie sucked)... I think it's being judged on a different scale than most other movies... It's a little slow going in, but I think if you have patience, it pays off."

Must suck to be the kind of guy who would dress up because you love the series so much, and then George Lucas just takes a giant poo poo on your face.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I saw that movie at least three times as a kid. Granted I could not explain a lick of it, and just enjoyed it because the mania was that huge at the time. Scott letting his kid out to see that movie is dumb but super low on the list of dumb things parents do. But holy poo poo that Sal call

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I still miss (goofing on) Jackie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBWXiYxh3EE

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

kylej posted:

Er, let's be clear here RE: Jackie. Howard saved Jackie's rear end multiple times from getting canned by Tom. I'm working through the complete year of 1994, and even back then Jackie was barely keeping his job because he was such a monumental pain in the rear end about money. In fact, in the show I just finished, Howard talks about how he had to have a private negotiation with Tom and the other higher-ups to convince them to keep Jackie around, because they were so pissed off at Jackie for writing a formal resignation letter (signed by his wife Nancy of all people) to try to squeeze them. The only between difference Jackie in 1988, and Jackie in 2001, is that Howard was sick of defending Jackie.
Jackie seemed like a horrendous pain in the rear end to work with, but he was great on the show. Being a lovely person isn't enough to get cast out of Howard's life though, because how else do you explain Ralphie Cakes?

Dr.Caligari posted:

I think Richard and Sour Shoes make Howard seethe. Neither of them are successful in Howard's eyes, but both seem content and pleasant. I recall several rants where Howard rages at Richard to grow up, and Richard gives the best possible reply which is something along the lines of "huh huh...yeah". Howard can't fathom happiness if you aren't a millionaire and 'the best'
Or the intern that left to bicycle across the country. Howard was furious that he wasn't "building up his career", when being fresh out of school in your early 20s is THE time to do things like that. One of my good friends took a year to go backpacking in South America and Europe right out of school, and to this day he reminisces about how great it was. (For context, he's now in his 40s. And successful professionally. Go figure!)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I left my job to backpack Central America for 4 months and never once was it a hinderance in an interview. And I'm a CPA so you cannot find a more uptight profession. I even put it on my resume to explain the gap.

Here is how it goes every time.
Interviewer: "So after working at X CPA Firm, you traveled around Central America for 4 months?"
Me: "Yep, it was my dream, I knew I only had one chance, so I did it."
Interviewer (every single time): "I wish I did that when I was younger"

Honestly, I think it helped. This was back when the economy sucked rear end and I got a call back on a ton of jobs. It at least made my resume stand out. Every single person asked about it and thought it was awesome.

Sasquatch! posted:

Or the intern that left to bicycle across the country. Howard was furious that he wasn't "building up his career", when being fresh out of school in your early 20s is THE time to do things like that. One of my good friends took a year to go backpacking in South America and Europe right out of school, and to this day he reminisces about how great it was. (For context, he's now in his 40s. And successful professionally. Go figure!)
Someone here said they believed he was using that guy as a proxy to yell at his daughters which I think is spot on.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

You couldn't wish a worse curse on Stern then the lazy, self-absorbed daughters that he already has. Seriously, they embody some of the worst stereotypes about millennials.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

You couldn't wish a worse curse on Stern then the lazy, self-absorbed daughters that he already has. Seriously, they embody some of the worst stereotypes about millennials.

It could have been much worse; what if he'd wound up with Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

prefect posted:

It could have been much worse; what if he'd wound up with Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan?

A good point... but at least then he would be able to make fun of their behavior on the air. With his real kids, he has to talk them up on the air, say how "amazing" and "wonderful" they are without giving any specifics. And you just know that eats at him.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If only he acted like a father instead of having cybersex with other guys on Compuserve

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Squashy Nipples posted:

They're silver spoon kids, it's not like work ethic disappears by generation, only with wealth.

People get away with exactly as much as you let them anyway. Work ethic is learned and if you have parents that bust their rear end and want you to bust your rear end you will probably have a good work ethic. Much the same even if your parents have a good work ethic if they don't make demands of you then you will probably be lazy and entitled and throwing real wealth into the situation only makes it worse.

Also, in fairness, I think one of them turned out fine, just went to school and got a normal job. Actually maybe it's 2 of the 3? I know Emily is the weird Zoo Za Zoo one but all I seem to recall about the others is one I think graduated from NYU's fashion school and got some industry job.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
You grow up with Howard and not turn out like a loving lunatic

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they're definitely silver spoon kids but I agree with Cortez... if I spent 18 years in the same household with Howard I'd probably be buying heroin from a guy in Delaware.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I am Doctor Remulak.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Riley Martin is amazing:

http://www.mtv.com/shows/fantasy_factory/beam-me-up-rob/759348/video/

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BurtLington posted:

I am Doctor Remulak.

I am Doctor Remulak.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

BurtLington posted:

I am Doctor Remulak.

I'm Darth Nihlus.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
"These songs sound great on a jukebox. Maybe not my favorite... but they sound amazing on a jukebox"

Lol what a dumb monkey. I love Howard's remark "These songs sound good between 4 and 5pm. They aren't as good in the morning"

That BaBaBooey 25 is a good listen, and I'm only through part three. I have heard the "Reese's" incident refered to, but don't actually know what it is, so I'm looking forward to that.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Yeaaa...eeehh..uhh..ah........what?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CortezFantastic posted:

Yeaaa...eeehh..uhh..ah........what?

Uhhh... hmmmmm?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Ignore the dumb meme format..Dat hair

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Sal literally having a bowl cut makes so much sense.

Richard is the same as he is now, a metal god who doesn't give a poo poo what society says about what he should do or look like.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Uhhh... hmmmmm?

Bitch I've never...uhh...I've never begged for anything in my life

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

Advice posted:

Sal literally having a bowl cut makes so much sense.

Richard is the same as he is now, a metal god who doesn't give a poo poo what society says about what he should do or look like.

The funny thing is that Richard looks like the leader of the Children of the Corn, and I'm not sure that's unintentional.

Also, Dennis Hof no longer needs a midget to pump up business after a celebrity overdosed at one of his brothels.

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Caper posted:

Bitch I've never...uhh...I've never begged for anything in my life

Motherfucker I'm on probation!!!

I always encourage those I know to say that as a veiled threat. :v:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Dr.Caligari posted:

Sal is basically Alfred E Neuman.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5nPgKU1os

In the first 4 seconds alone he gets in the cough, hello hello, and noine. He's a mad genius.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Former Human posted:

Was he a general for the north, fighting in World War II with Sal's great, great, great grandfather?

Wait, no... It was the cold war, so I'm correct with the North, because it's cold in the north...

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

Sal looks like the kid from MAD magazine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Former Human posted:

Riosan posted:

Sal looks like the kid from MAD magazine.

Please... go on. :allears:

I'm close to Sal's age, and I had that exact same hair cut. For some reason, the Bowl Cut was a popular option for boys in the early 70s.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Crotch Bat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp5nPgKU1os

In the first 4 seconds alone he gets in the cough, hello hello, and noine. He's a mad genius.

His Gary the Retard impression last week was also incredible.

Howard doing the "Sour. Sour, can you hear me?" in Steve Langford's voice when he's on also cracks me up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

His Gary the Retard impression last week was also incredible.

Howard doing the "Sour. Sour, can you hear me?" in Steve Langford's voice when he's on also cracks me up.

Yup. Sour is easily my favorite thing on the Stern show right now.

(but please, PLEASE don't tell Howard that or we'll never hear him again)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Dr.Caligari posted:

No wonder Sal had so many tooth jokes. He just wrote down what everyone said to him in 2nd grade.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squashy Nipples posted:

Please... go on. :allears:

I'm close to Sal's age, and I had that exact same hair cut. For some reason, the Bowl Cut was a popular option for boys in the early 70s.

Same here. I wound up looking like Pete Rose, Bruce Jenner, and Jimmy Connors.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm the same age as Richard and was also a metal head so I had the exact same hair.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Cliche Guevara posted:

Good god almighty please tell me someone else on here is laughing way too hard at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTPEWsMTbE

The constant "cchhkt!" tauntings...Jackie's giggling...a veiled pedo reference...and the fact that at some point in time we were all nearly duped into seeing Episode I on opening night.

This. The goofing on Scott Salem is the funniest poo poo ever. I wish they'd bring back office drama.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

And to think... only a few years after this picture young Sal Goobernal would be jerking off in a bathroom closet while his aunt took a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

kylej posted:

And to think... only a few years after this picture young Sal Goobernal would be jerking off in a bathroom closet while his aunt took a poo poo.

That's probably about the age that young Richard Christy was pumping off with his friend in a tent.