Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a guy come to a QUAFF meeting (our homebrew club) and he told us it was his first meeting. My friend asked him about himself and he's like "I really want to open a brewery so I figured this would be a good place to get some information." It was at that point when we asked him about beer it became readily apparent he doesn't even know how beer is made.

Send that guy this link immediately:
http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/03/challenges-of-opening-a-brewery-job-advice-beer-industry-collin-mcdonnell-henhouse.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Nothing tops shark pants, nothing.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Opened Gillian.

I get that the price point is... not ideal. But I think this is worth $30ish at least once if you're into wilds. It's strawberry-heavy in the nose, tart up front, then a TON of Brett funk, saison yeast, and then a weird Brett-strawberry thing at the end. I don't think I've had something this complex since LC2 was fresh. It's not the best beer I've ever had but it's remarkable nonetheless.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

Opened Gillian.

I get that the price point is... not ideal. But I think this is worth $30ish at least once if you're into wilds. It's strawberry-heavy in the nose, tart up front, then a TON of Brett funk, saison yeast, and then a weird Brett-strawberry thing at the end. I don't think I've had something this complex since LC2 was fresh. It's not the best beer I've ever had but it's remarkable nonetheless.

I thought it was pretty good, especially as it warms, but 30 dollars is a bit much. I got mine for 22, which was reasonable, I guess.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Opened Gillian.

i've had two bottles- one was a disgusting, plastic-y mess and the other was nicely fruity and funky, but nothing i'd drop $30 on again.

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a guy come to a QUAFF meeting (our homebrew club) and he told us it was his first meeting. My friend asked him about himself and he's like "I really want to open a brewery so I figured this would be a good place to get some information." It was at that point when we asked him about beer it became readily apparent he doesn't even know how beer is made.

sounds like Isley Brewing that i told you all about a while back. i was honestly surprised when SUPER HASSLER had something nice to say about one of their beers.

edit- nitro Wake Up Dead isn't an amazing beer by most measures, but holy poo poo is it (far too) easy to drink for something that's 10%

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 29, 2014

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

danbanana posted:

Opened Gillian.

I was not a big fan. I'd rather go with Halia. 30 bucks is way high for either though. I could get a Marilime Law Ninja and a sixer of expedition stout (to hide in a corner for a year) for that much!

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I feel bad for sitting on this growler of Edward for a week but goddamnit this is still the best pale I've ever had.

Recent cool purchases: Growler fill of Smokeshow and El Lechedor (a horchata style Mexican Milk Stout with all sorts of stuff) Backlash DEATH after I found the label, TWO whole bottles of Lunch, and Cisco's Brewers Reserve Gose. Been on a gose kick, gonna drink all the salt.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Shabadu posted:

I feel bad for sitting on this growler of Edward for a week but goddamnit this is still the best pale I've ever had.

My Edward and Abner are both waiting for tomorrow :(

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

LeafHouse posted:

I was not a big fan. I'd rather go with Halia. 30 bucks is way high for either though.

I thought Gillian was way better than Halia, which I had much more hopes for. Halia was subtle to a fault; It came off kind of bland. Gillian- at least the bottle I had with a few months- was seriously complex and wonderful.

Maybe this is GI's post-Laffler/Korder life: a barrel program with no consistency.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

Maybe this is GI's post-Laffler/Korder life: a barrel program with no consistency.

Having had a 2011 and 2013 Lolita in close proximity - I can say that the 2013 was downright boring comparatively.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

danbanana posted:

Opened Gillian.

I found this to be a poor mix between a wine cooler and a mead. Someone asked me about the 4 sisters today and I told them to avoid the strawberry one. I stand by this. I only had it fresh but it sucked fresh and not near worth $25. Juliette on the other hand...

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So tonight...

Went to a BYOB sushi place.. brought

Stone Enjoy By 4/20 - Wow. We both really liked this.... lots of great hop notes.
DFH 75 minute : Been years since I Had this... wish I had brought some else... was OK at best.

That being said,t he bottle shop did have the new Evil Genius beer with the greatest name ever .. "Purple Monkey Dishwasher" ... thats amazing.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Stout Fest at Goose Island tomorrow! Chicagoons hit me up!

Vertigo posted:

That being said,t he bottle shop did have the new Evil Genius beer with the greatest name ever .. "Purple Monkey Dishwasher" ... thats amazing.

I love it. That brewery is going to fold like Superman on laundry day.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
that is a truly terrible name for a beer

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Stout Fest at Goose Island tomorrow! Chicagoons hit me up!

I'll be there.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
drat, Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale is good.

Holy poo poo, why is it 15.99 for a 375ML bottle?

These domestic sours will be the death of my wallet.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

LEGO Genetics posted:

drat, Lost Abbey Red Poppy Ale is good.

Holy poo poo, why is it 15.99 for a 375ML bottle?

These domestic sours will be the death of my wallet.

wasn't impressed with last year's batch, but it's been worth it to me every other year.

not worth it is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout- a boring-rear end beer for all that it supposedly has going on and the slick mouthfeel is just a little wrong to me. glad i stifled my initial curiosity and waited to find a single bottle.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ChickenArise posted:

Did it have a bottle date? It sounds old, maybe oxidized. However, when it comes to Summit hops, a common flavor/aroma descriptor is garlic/onion. It's not usually very weird, though (nor is it limited to Summit or always present).

Late response, but it was best by 7/14 I believe so I don't think it was old. I read some negative reviews on BA to see if someone else picked up on it and like you (and they) said, I think onion was the taste I got. It didn't have the garlicy taste of recent Enjoy By, it was probably closer to an uncooked white onion.

I bought a bottle of Avery Maharaja on the same day though and I have high hopes!

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

I love it. That brewery is going to fold like Superman on laundry day.

Yeah the brewery is odd. They make "good" beer, but nothing great.... I don't see them surviving unless they knock something out of the park.
I checked some reviews and people are saying it's better than SBJ and others are saying it's awful. I'll know later... I do love Sweet Baby Jesus.... so hopefully this is an equal.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

If you want something better than SBJ, brewed by an awesome local brewer, and not loving stupid, buy Spring House's Big Gruesome.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Vertigo posted:

Yeah the brewery is odd. They make "good" beer, but nothing great.... I don't see them surviving unless they knock something out of the park.
I checked some reviews and people are saying it's better than SBJ and others are saying it's awful. I'll know later... I do love Sweet Baby Jesus.... so hopefully this is an equal.

That something is Imperial Biscotti Break and I was confusing Evil Twin (genuinely great) with Evil Genius (I have zero experience with their stuff). That'll teach me to read.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Today is my day to try Iniquity by Southern Tier. The aroma's a bit weird and off-putting...not sure how to describe it. The taste is...bitter, like a mild IPA with some herbal notes and booziness, but the booziness is in the front. It's not terrible, but not worth the $6 for a bomber. I'm glad I have a bottle of DFH 60 Minute in the fridge too.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

D34THROW posted:

Today is my day to try Iniquity by Southern Tier. The aroma's a bit weird and off-putting...not sure how to describe it. The taste is...bitter, like a mild IPA with some herbal notes and booziness, but the booziness is in the front. It's not terrible, but not worth the $6 for a bomber. I'm glad I have a bottle of DFH 60 Minute in the fridge too.

I can't stand Iniquity. One of my least favorites from Southern Tier.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yeah, there's some serioues over-maltiness coming out more and more as the glass empties. It's no Jah-va though. I'd rather drink Iniquity than Jah-va :v:

I gotta find a better place to buy beer than Publix. I've tried pretty much everything I want to try from there. Problem is my area is mostly old farts, stuck on their Budweiser and other pisswater.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

40 minutes into stout fest and I am pretty much done. Luckily this is at a brewpub so I can take a break and get some food and water before diving back in. I think this will be my first and last stout fest. Goose brought Nutulhu (cthulu with hazelnut and vanilla) which was absolutely amazing. Goose also brought proprietors and a few other daring offerings. Besides that it's pretty much all regular shelf stuff from local breweries. Three Floyds showed up with just Backmasking despite having tons of better stouts. According to the back of the pamphlet everything was donated so it's no surprise that the breweries that came didn't bring their A game.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

LeafHouse posted:

Goose brought Nutulhu (cthulu with hazelnut and vanilla) which was absolutely amazing. Goose also brought proprietors and a few other daring offerings. Besides that it's pretty much all regular shelf stuff from local breweries. Three Floyds showed up with just Backmasking despite having tons of better stouts.

Backmasking is gross, but Nutulhu sounds dope as hell.

thought i only had a few ounces of Cascade Elderberry left in the bottle this morning, so i thought, "gently caress it, it'll probably taste good with my omelet." poured out almost a full pint (guess my girlfriend didn't have a glass after all!), which was not that great of an idea before work. tasted good, though!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

You can probably tell which comment on that article is mine. :v: It's a drat fine and accurate article, too.

Angry Grimace posted:

I just think Gypsy-style brewing is an absurd, bullshit practice. Do none of the legwork, take all the credit if the beer is good, blame the brewer if the beer comes out bad, charge exorbitant prices for no apparent reason.

Contract/gypsy brewing has its light and dark sides. If it's done in a way that's respectful to the labor and resources of the original brewery and gives them adequate credit, I think it can be a great way to get a brand off the ground and jump off to eventually having your own facility and operation. Beer Here, one of the phantom breweries I worked with in Denmark, was in the good category - Christian did some of the labor, helped me troubleshoot problems and included me in events and recipe formulation. However, this:

Mikkel posted:

“I don’t enjoy making beer,” he says. “I like making recipes and hanging out.”

is Super Bullshit 64. If you start a contract brand with no intention of ever touching the equipment yourself, you are not a brewer. You may be a great marketer and recipe designer, as Mikkeller and Evil Twin both are, but not a brewer. Until you yourself have CIPed fermenters, scrubbed floors, cleaned under the lauter tun plates, and soaked yourself in every liquid from water to beer to hot caustic, you are not a brewer. You don't get the cred without doing the work, and I find the gypsy brewer ethos of "let somebody else do the work while I get all the accolades and benefits" completely disgusting and insulting.

At the very least, credit the actual brewery in larger print than the loving recycling information. Don't hide your bullshit, just own it.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 29, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Speaking of TRVE.. I just got a box in the mail from my favorite regular trader... :catstare:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Last night I started building shelves into a plumbing closet that will double as my cellar (it's held nicely in the upper 50s/lower 60s in the last two weeks, though I expect it to hit the low 70s in summer). I got about 80% of my bombers/750s up, and still have to build from scratch another shelf for smaller bottles and leftovers. But as part of the organization, I pulled a case of stuff out that I have been sitting on for too long or had for no discernable reason. And I'm going to drink those.

I'm starting with a 2012 Saison Brett, which is loving great. So. loving. dry. The funk is a little more mild than I remember it being when fresh, but all that makes it is considerably easier to drink. I'm going to down this far too quickly, and I'm very glad I have another one to check on at a later date.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

danbanana posted:

Last night I started building shelves into a plumbing closet that will double as my cellar (it's held nicely in the upper 50s/lower 60s in the last two weeks, though I expect it to hit the low 70s in summer). I got about 80% of my bombers/750s up, and still have to build from scratch another shelf for smaller bottles and leftovers. But as part of the organization, I pulled a case of stuff out that I have been sitting on for too long or had for no discernable reason. And I'm going to drink those.

I'm starting with a 2012 Saison Brett, which is loving great. So. loving. dry. The funk is a little more mild than I remember it being when fresh, but all that makes it is considerably easier to drink. I'm going to down this far too quickly, and I'm very glad I have another one to check on at a later date.

I had a 2013 and 2012 side by side last year and i was very surprised to find myself preferring it fresh - am I alone here? (both were draft if that matters)

Either way I love that beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

I had a 2013 and 2012 side by side last year and i was very surprised to find myself preferring it fresh - am I alone here? (both were draft if that matters)

Either way I love that beer.

As I don't have a fresh one to compare with, I can't be sure which I'd prefer. But I concur: this is honestly one of the best, easily available beers in the U.S., young or old.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

LeafHouse posted:

40 minutes into stout fest and I am pretty much done. Luckily this is at a brewpub so I can take a break and get some food and water before diving back in. I think this will be my first and last stout fest. Goose brought Nutulhu (cthulu with hazelnut and vanilla) which was absolutely amazing. Goose also brought proprietors and a few other daring offerings. Besides that it's pretty much all regular shelf stuff from local breweries. Three Floyds showed up with just Backmasking despite having tons of better stouts. According to the back of the pamphlet everything was donated so it's no surprise that the breweries that came didn't bring their A game.

I think you were underscoring how much stuff was actually there. That said, Crazyfish, Leafhouse and I were present (though not together) and I'll say that there were a bunch of offerings that were quite enjoyable and probably some things that I will not have the chance to try again (which is a good and bad thing). That said....

18th Street BA Double Milk Stout, vanilla and coffee - Crazyfish was raving about the regular which I thought was meh. Vanilla was just ok but the coffee was pretty solid.

Destihl Cognac Stout Imperiale had promise but was just disappointing. I think I'll stick to their sours only from now on.

Goose Island - Proprietors as much as you can drink, same with Coffee which was apparently an accidental tapping. Nuthulhu basically encapsulated my childhood - Belgian chocolate with hazelnut. Delicious. Morticia, BA wine / bourbon stout which was kind of boring...thin too.

Half Acre Triple Smoke BA Chub Step...thin and not enough smoke. Big Hugs was drinking nicely though. One complaint, that applied to most things, was the temperature. Things needed a lot of time to warm up.

Haymarket - Tart Cherry Indignant BA Stout a bit too sweet but my wife liked it a bunch. Definitely as advertised, ton of cherry and a bit of tartness.

Perennial - Abraxas, 17, and Sump. All solid. Nothing unique in terms of offerings though. 17 is much more mintier this year than last. Really tasty. Abraxas was bottle only and kicked early though.

Pipeworks - Mint Truffle Abduction was a let down. 17 was clearly the better beer. Chai Dog was pretty solid and didn't differ much from the bottle version.

Solemn Oath Most Important Beverage of the Day - Coffee milk stout with orange peel. Actually one of the better balanced coffee stouts. I haven't enjoyed many of their bottled offerings, but this was good.

Spiteful Brewing - BA Mrs. O'Leary's Chocolate milk stout with raspberries. The normal version of this is an astringent clusterfuck. This was better balanced but nothing really noteworthy.

Ten Ninety Imperial Porter with cayenne and pomegranate. Didn't get much pomegranate but the cayenne definitely came through. The 2-3oz poor was actually too much for my wife and I but the burn from the beer was nice.

Transient Artisan Hank American Coffee Porter - really, really well balanced.

There were a bunch of breweries that we didn't bother with - Revolution, Rock Bottom, Atlas etc because nothing they had was particularly interesting.

Worst beer goes to Brickstone Brewery Vanilla Bean Dark Secret RIS...syrupy mess. Dumped.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

nope, i much prefer it fresh

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Completely agree with this. I need to go back and rate stuff, but pretty much within 90 minutes I had tried almost everything I wanted to try and I pretty much spent the rest of the time like "oh I'll go try that". Compusaurus covered some of the highlights and lowlights (Nuthulhu was the clear winner, Destihl cognac stout was biggest disappointment) but the beer that surprised me the most by far (in a good way) was 18th Street BA Hunter, which I liked way better than both the coffee and vanilla variants he also brought. If I had to pick top three, it would be Nuthulu, 18th Street BA Hunter, and 4 Hands Eclipse (raspberry milk stout).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

Haymarket - Tart Cherry Indignant BA Stout a bit too sweet but my wife liked it a bunch. Definitely as advertised, ton of cherry and a bit of tartness.

WHAAAA???? Indignant is honestly one of the best BBA'd stouts on the planet and that sounds really, really good.

Cellar Clean Up Saturday continues with... Flossmoor Station's BBA'd Thundersnow. This is about a year old and I never had it fresh. But all reports were that it was insanely hot: all barrel and booze. I'm not getting that at all any more. Some booze on the nose, a good amount of vanilla. The mouthfeel is CW-esque: a little light, though considering the beer is only 9%, I didn't think it'd be particularly heavy. Taste is lots and lots of dark, bitter chocolate. The booze is there, but not pronounced. It basically adds to the heavy chocolate flavor. Again: chocolate. Did I mention that? Anyway, this is quite good right now.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

WHAAAA???? Indignant is honestly one of the best BBA'd stouts on the planet and that sounds really, really good.

Cellar Clean Up Saturday continues with... Flossmoor Station's BBA'd Thundersnow. This is about a year old and I never had it fresh. But all reports were that it was insanely hot: all barrel and booze. I'm not getting that at all any more. Some booze on the nose, a good amount of vanilla. The mouthfeel is CW-esque: a little light, though considering the beer is only 9%, I didn't think it'd be particularly heavy. Taste is lots and lots of dark, bitter chocolate. The booze is there, but not pronounced. It basically adds to the heavy chocolate flavor. Again: chocolate. Did I mention that? Anyway, this is quite good right now.

Good to know re: Thundersnow, as I do have a bottle I'm still sitting on.

Re: Tart Cherry Indignant, I honestly really would rather have had it without the cherries. If you like cherry stouts, it's great, but I just wasn't into it personally. Indignant straight up (or with raspberries like Claire's) is awesome, this not as much for me.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

I realize everyone has a different palate but it seemed much more pronounced to me today than usual. Crazyfish enjoyed the BA Hunter whereas I thought it was nothing special. And another friend of mine loved the Mint Truffle Abduction whereas I thought the Perennial 17 blew it out of the water. Different strokes I suppose.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Compusaurus posted:

I realize everyone has a different palate but it seemed much more pronounced to me today than usual. Crazyfish enjoyed the BA Hunter whereas I thought it was nothing special. And another friend of mine loved the Mint Truffle Abduction whereas I thought the Perennial 17 blew it out of the water. Different strokes I suppose.

Oh, I wasn't doing a WHAA?? towards your taste. Just that a cherry Indignant exists and that makes me happy.

Haymarket is fascinating to me: in a market that is becoming so insanely oversaturated and every brewery is pushing bottles onto the shelf regardless of name (Only Child? That weird one in 750s that's very hard to figure out what I'm looking at?) or self-restraint (Pipeworks), one of the best breweries is simply running a great, massive brewpub. Not everything is world class, but I find I'm usually bringing a growler home when I can and, shockingly, they don't growler their bigger stuff. If Indignant or Clare's or Nina's was able to be traded for, the hype would be through the roof. But the dude running the place- the dude who started FOBAB- seems content on just filling his place. Goddam that's refreshing...

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Looks like FFF released a bunch of BA stuff today, and its totally an easy stop on my way home from vacation.

Too bad it is $40 bombers. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Cervixalot posted:

Looks like FFF released a bunch of BA stuff today, and its totally an easy stop on my way home from vacation.

Too bad it is $40 bombers. gently caress that.

Yeah I considered driving by after stout fest but realized I'd end up
burning 160 bucks on middling BA beers so I decided against it.