Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
kinda regret using wood instead of stone tablets for my green circuits, but it'd be a pain to replace the infrastructure now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I THINK that's all the kinks worked out, finally. I'm too tired to give a detailed breakdown right now but here's a video of it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGEr5p_wok8

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
Finished my 'No time for chitchat' run last night on a default settings map. At 5 hours in my run I thought maybe I could do 'There is no spoon', by 7 hours I was setting up a rail system to get more resources and knew it was not going to happen. It was all messy, incredibly messy, with panicked spaghetti erupting everywhere, and RCUs were a major bottleneck, but I managed with about 3 hours to spare as biter attacks started to ramp up.

Thinking about trying to beat 8 hours next, but it would take a lot more practice than I want to devote. Purple/yellow science are such a pain to set up, let alone the rocket.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I've finished my Lazy Bastards run (and picked up the no logistics achievement entirely incidentally on the way) and I'm trying to decide if my next game is going to be a death world or Krastorio 2, or if I'm going to be ambitious and try both at the same time. How challenging would it be going into K2 blind and not get totally obliterated at some point?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Slum Loser posted:

Finished my 'No time for chitchat' run last night on a default settings map. At 5 hours in my run I thought maybe I could do 'There is no spoon', by 7 hours I was setting up a rail system to get more resources and knew it was not going to happen. It was all messy, incredibly messy, with panicked spaghetti erupting everywhere, and RCUs were a major bottleneck, but I managed with about 3 hours to spare as biter attacks started to ramp up.

Thinking about trying to beat 8 hours next, but it would take a lot more practice than I want to devote. Purple/yellow science are such a pain to set up, let alone the rocket.

If you want then you can make the speedrun achievements a lot easier on yourself by disabling pollution and biter expansion, maxing resource richness and making your starting area as large as possible. The only worldgen setting that disables those achievements is lowering enemy base frequency and richness. I never even saw a biter on my There Is No Spoon run.

This is the base I ended up with when I did it.

It was frantic for the first hour or two, but the pace went down to pretty languid after that and I finished in a little over 7 hrs. Could've been 6 and a bit, but I slowed down the pace quite a bit when I realized I was safe. All I really had to do was stay on the critical tech path (+construction bots) and keep expanding. I also got the Raining Bullets achievement, which is ironic for a run in which I never fired a shot or researched Military 1.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I've finished my Lazy Bastards run (and picked up the no logistics achievement entirely incidentally on the way) and I'm trying to decide if my next game is going to be a death world or Krastorio 2, or if I'm going to be ambitious and try both at the same time. How challenging would it be going into K2 blind and not get totally obliterated at some point?

If you use any of the mods that help you with recipes like FNEI, K2 shouldn't be too much of a problem to run blind, and even without it I don't recall anything being so complicated that I just completely failed at something. Just like when you first play factorio blind, your initial designs might need to be rebuilt as you learn more, but that's part of the fun of factorio anyway. Just go for it.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Mr. Peepers posted:

If anything it might be easier, though the start is a little slower, tech-wise, for a bit. Once you get rolling you'll have more options for biter deterrance and even being stealthy (via massive wood farms and even pollution scrubbers, if you want more management and design problems—you can even plant forests if you want to tank your UPS).

Xerophyte posted:

If you want then you can make the speedrun achievements a lot easier on yourself by disabling pollution and biter expansion, maxing resource richness and making your starting area as large as possible. The only worldgen setting that disables those achievements is lowering enemy base frequency and richness. I never even saw a biter on my There Is No Spoon run.

This is the base I ended up with when I did it.

Bots, of course!. Hand constructing advanced oil (separate from simple oil for some reason), and later balancing the output and cracking, took me at least an hour.

Good advice, I will definitely set pollution diffusion to 0% if not disabling it, same for biter expansion. I'll also enable research queuing because gently caress opening that menu all the time and forgetting what I was running back to the mall for. Before the attempt I'll have to work on my early game. I can get to blue science fairly easily, but after that everything slows down.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

biters in vanilla k2 are pretty tough to begin, probably not a good idea to do a deathworld run unless you already know tricks to deal with biters and pollution control

going into just k2 blind is fine though, it's the only mod that follows the "things progress in a logical and intuitive manner" design philosophy of the base game

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

20 minutes in and I have 3 biter bases in pollution range already. Hmm...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Peepers posted:

20 minutes in and I have 3 biter bases in pollution range already. Hmm...

I might have totally missed the combining deathworld with the K2 thing. Good luck!

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

little munchkin posted:

biters in vanilla k2 are pretty tough to begin, probably not a good idea to do a deathworld run unless you already know tricks to deal with biters and pollution control

going into just k2 blind is fine though, it's the only mod that follows the "things progress in a logical and intuitive manner" design philosophy of the base game

The Locator posted:

I might have totally missed the combining deathworld with the K2 thing. Good luck!

Thanks! First attempt didn't pan out, the 250% pollution modifier for burning coal was a big surprise. I had to spend so much time putting out fires from the very start that I had a hard time actually building anything. I managed to stabilize for a bit and was getting some automation going, then medium biters started attacking before I could tech into better military options and that was a war of attrition I couldn't win.

Gonna try again soon, with an increased starting area and a map that rolled some good defensive chokepoints.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
if you have AAI, turn all coal intended for fuel into the fuel things that only have 90% pollution, helps a ton.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Anybody know the name of the "rts" mod. Where you start with a roboport and bots and there's no actual character. Just bots running a base.

Edit: apparently it's called brave new world. Going to try to get it going with space block.

Krataar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 20, 2021

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
This might be a dumb question but oh well. In what situation would I want to defend versus being proactive and going out to destroy biter nests that pollution is starting to creep towards? I'm starting over and thinking about how I want to deal with the aliens this time around. My other game I had a huge open radius around my base so defending just wasn't something I had to do. Is defense something you do more on the other game modes vs vanilla? The aliens have mostly been a research roadblock more than an actual threat so far.

I even turned on huge cliffs to make natural choke points but I'm finding it less of a hassle to just go kill them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FalloutGod posted:

This might be a dumb question but oh well. In what situation would I want to defend versus being proactive and going out to destroy biter nests that pollution is starting to creep towards? I'm starting over and thinking about how I want to deal with the aliens this time around. My other game I had a huge open radius around my base so defending just wasn't something I had to do. Is defense something you do more on the other game modes vs vanilla? The aliens have mostly been a research roadblock more than an actual threat so far.

I even turned on huge cliffs to make natural choke points but I'm finding it less of a hassle to just go kill them.

Generally, if you're able to destroy nests, you're better off doing that than playing defence. Defensive strategies are best for either the very early game when you don't have the equipment to reliably take on biter nests, or the very late game when your cloud covers so much territory it's easier to just have automated defences than run all over the map trying to keep it clear. Although that depends on whether you'd define artillery as offence or defence.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you rush for bots, building defences becomes much less effort. And that often makes pushing bases not really worth the effort.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The traditional issue with biter clearance is that it gets old after a couple hundred hours, and while setting up a turret wall or a system of outposts isn’t exactly riveting it’s something you do once and then it takes care of itself unless you run out of repair packs or bots.

It’s definitely easier in terms of biter evolution speed to proactively clear spawners out of your pollution cloud than it is to let them guzzle down smog for hours while helping send waves to splatter against your defenses, both activities which pump up evolution factor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure killing biters doesn't actually increase evolution, but killing nests does. So is a trade-off between evolution from pollution and revolution from nest eradication.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

KillHour posted:

I'm pretty sure killing biters doesn't actually increase evolution, but killing nests does. So is a trade-off between evolution from pollution and revolution from nest eradication.

Correct. Evolution is only affected by three things:

- Time
- Killing Nests
- Pollution Generation

Of the third, what happens to the pollution after its generation doesn't matter - whether it's absorbed by trees, eaten by land/water tiles, or eaten by biters nests, it's all the same as far as evolution factor is concerned. IOW, biter nests guzzling down smog doesn't directly matter as far as evolution is concerned.

The primary practical reason to push your walls/defenses outside of your cloud is that letting new bases be spawned inside your cloud means dealing with those attacks constantly (and/or clearing out the bases at an additional evolution cost) instead of dealing with the much smaller expansion parties.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Olesh posted:

Correct. Evolution is only affected by three things:

- Time
- Killing Nests
- Pollution Generation

Of the third, what happens to the pollution after its generation doesn't matter - whether it's absorbed by trees, eaten by land/water tiles, or eaten by biters nests, it's all the same as far as evolution factor is concerned. IOW, biter nests guzzling down smog doesn't directly matter as far as evolution is concerned.

The primary practical reason to push your walls/defenses outside of your cloud is that letting new bases be spawned inside your cloud means dealing with those attacks constantly (and/or clearing out the bases at an additional evolution cost) instead of dealing with the much smaller expansion parties.

Resources always cost pollution to produce so everything that goes into defense has a cost in evolution factor. At some point you've advanced evolution more by defending against a nest than you did by clearing it early. This stresses me out so I tend to play with biters off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lasers and solar panels/accumulators are pollution free beyond the materials to build them but realistically even AP bullets are very resource efficient. You're overthinking it.

If you're getting stressed by biters in vanilla, you need more mines and robots to lay them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Or turn off biters entirely. They're not fun for everyone! I personally find them very tedious and unnecessary. I like the idea of having an external pressure on your factory, but biters don't provide any past the first few hours.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you produce approximately 2,223 pollution defending against a biter nest, you've caused more evolution than if you destroyed the nest. Practically speaking, that could definitely happen, but it's not like a nest being in your cloud for 2 minute is going to cause more evolution than killing it.

It does hurt in terms of resources, though. Letting nests sit in your cloud will consume insane amounts of resources.

Theoretically, you could surround some nests with many laser turrets exclusively powered by solar panels and accumulators. This would allow you to have an ongoing pollution sink for a one-time material cost.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

K8.0 posted:

If you produce approximately 2,223 pollution defending against a biter nest, you've caused more evolution than if you destroyed the nest. Practically speaking, that could definitely happen, but it's not like a nest being in your cloud for 2 minute is going to cause more evolution than killing it.

It does hurt in terms of resources, though. Letting nests sit in your cloud will consume insane amounts of resources.

Theoretically, you could surround some nests with many laser turrets exclusively powered by solar panels and accumulators. This would allow you to have an ongoing pollution sink for a one-time material cost.

There's an easier* way to do that, which is surround nests with sufficient walls such that the biters can't actually spawn out of their nests. (*May not actually be easy). The nests will continue to eat pollution but won't actually spawn anything. The bonus is that the one-time material cost is substantially cheaper and there's no risk of a particularly bad wave breaking out.

In terms of evolution, naturally, it's more or less irrelevant as evolution triggers off of any pollution generated and isn't affected by how or when that pollution is absorbed, but from what I understand a few captive biter bases will hoover up a surprising amount of pollution.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I always just built my polluters next to trees and put efficiency modules in as much things as I can.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
I have the hardest time wrapping my head around unlocking techs and then integrating them into my building. DSP, Satisfactory and now Factorio I've all failed at. It doesn't make sense in my head and after awhile It all becomes too unwieldy and it makes me want to stop playing. Can you just not be smart enough to play games like these?

E: I think its the open ended nature of it all. I'm constantly second guessing my self because I know future techs will completely change how I build so building "wrong" early feels like a waste of time and I have a hard time committing to it. As dumb as a "quest log" is in a sandbox I think it would go a long way. Its what made some of those Minecraft Mods really fun. I dunno... this poo poo just makes me feel dumb lol. gently caress.

FalloutGod fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 3, 2021

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I installed a mod that made biters harder. Try expanding your base really far, like make the walls where your pollution ends. Then set artillery cannons up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FalloutGod posted:

I have the hardest time wrapping my head around unlocking techs and then integrating them into my building. DSP, Satisfactory and now Factorio I've all failed at. It doesn't make sense in my head and after awhile It all becomes too unwieldy and it makes me want to stop playing. Can you just not be smart enough to play games like these?

E: I think its the open ended nature of it all. I'm constantly second guessing my self because I know future techs will completely change how I build so building "wrong" early feels like a waste of time and I have a hard time committing to it. As dumb as a "quest log" is in a sandbox I think it would go a long way. Its what made some of those Minecraft Mods really fun. I dunno... this poo poo just makes me feel dumb lol. gently caress.

If you are making the widget out the other end you didn't do it wrong. Thinking that way is like thinking you're playing a racing game wrong because you're not the fastest person in the world. It takes time to master the mechanics and that sense of discovery as you figure out how two things can fit together in a novel way you've never tried before is the draw of these kinds of games.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's wrong ways to play but only God can judge you.

Your quest log is the science items, and eventually the rocket items. Your wants can get a little more complicated but your core routine is looking at the tech tree, seeing I need red science for XYZ, and making red science that goes into your domes.

Sometimes you want to make a cool utility item. Same thing though, you figure out what you need to do that.

If you work backwards from what you want you'll never have something completely useless because at the end of it you're already making something you want.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

FalloutGod posted:

The thing to remember is that you don't actually lose anything by building it "wrong".

You don't waste resources by having an inefficient setup, things just move slower.

When you decide to rework a section of your factory, you can tear up all those assemblers and belts and put them somewhere else for free - building doesn't cost anything beyond the resource cost of making the buildings, and you get those buildings back with zero losses when you deconstruct them.

And by the time you get to the point where you might want to do large-scale reworking, you don't even need to, because belts and assemblers are cheap enough and resources plentiful enough that you can just build a whole new production setup without even needing to dismantle the old one.

Optimizing and tinkering with your setups to improve them and make better ones is a big part of the game. You don't really need to plan anything long-term, except maybe leaving a little more space between stuff than you think you'll need so that it'll be easier to tweak later.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have done pretty good so far (not really my base is a mess) and gotten farther than before... I have the white science stuff automated (grenades and ammo). I need to build up a train network now. Seems intimidating but cool.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

:justpost: but build

never tear anything out that you haven't already replaced with a fully-functioning build elsewhere

setting up logistics orders such that obsolete belts and inserters which have ever found their way into your logistics inventory are nicely sorted out in order to be upgraded is a pretty dope feeling, though, it's worth doing if that sounds neat to you

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

FalloutGod posted:

For Factorio, the answer is easy : automate everything. Obviously at the VERY start you lack the tools to do so, but once you get iron and copper smelting both fully automated, then open your crafting menu and start automating EVERYTHING. When you automate green circuits and gears, leave way, WAY more space than you think you need to expand them, because they're the most widely used components. Aside from that, just build stuff.

Once you have everything automated, then automate research. When you research a tech, automate it.

You cannot possibly begin to grasp what building "right" means in Factorio on your first playthrough, or anything close to it. Don't try. It's a constant learning experience, and there are so many good and bad ways to do things that the more you discover the more fun it is.

vandalism posted:

I have done pretty good so far (not really my base is a mess) and gotten farther than before... I have the white science stuff automated (grenades and ammo). I need to build up a train network now. Seems intimidating but cool.

FYI military science is black or grey. Don't get in the habit of thinking of it as white, because there is white science. Trains represent a HUGE scaling up. They inevitably take up a ton of space, and their throughput is insane. Don't underestimate either. It's perfectly fine to just build point-to-point rail at first, which consumes much less space.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Something I found really educational was doing a Lazy Bastard run, where you launch a rocket having only hand-crafted a hundred items or so over the course of the game. Really drove home how much CAN be automated.

It's even simpler now than it was in prior versions since even level 1 assemblers can craft items with six components, whereas before they could only craft items with two or three. Also, there's a setting buried in the debug window that temporarily disables handcrafting (without disabling achievements) so you don't have to stress about accidentally clicking and building something by hand.

Something else I found recently is that you can use the map editor as a design sketchbook of sorts: create a custom map, clear out all the terrain and stuff, and just build parts of a factory on a blank surface. From there, store the things you build in blueprints, which will be available when you actually play a game. It gives you the freedom to design and solve puzzles without having to worry about resource management. You can even save the map as a custom scenario and make tweaks over time.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

My AngelBob-run is now in the midgame. :shepicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Speaking of losing one’s godamned mind: Does anyone have a favored rail network blueprint book? Also, and hopefully the same book, does anyone have a favored railroad cell book? My base needs have moved towards needing a tileable cell structure, but I’m poo poo at railroad layout.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I've never grasped the usefulness of a blueprint book... every rail network on every map I've done has been built from scratch, specific to the layout of the rocks/cliffs/water/etc. I guess I'm not paving the planet enough. :(

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
As long as the stuff you’re making is automated, you’re doing it right. Everything else is optimization.

There’s a train book called Brian’s Trains (I think that’s the name) that has everything and it snaps to grid and is built around using LTN too. I’ve made most of the stuff in there before so I don’t feel bad at all about getting a blueprint book that’s organized and better than the clunky atrocities I made :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

XkyRauh posted:

I've never grasped the usefulness of a blueprint book... every rail network on every map I've done has been built from scratch, specific to the layout of the rocks/cliffs/water/etc. I guess I'm not paving the planet enough. :(

It's desperately useful for intersections since those can be an utter pain to make and super easy to miss 1-2 small details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most people mean intersections because there's very specific ways you want to repeat every time you make an intersection.

Occasionally they are chunk sized tileable rail grids because that's the sort of life you have to live if you pick up one of the more crazier mods. That sort of book is overkill in vanilla except for some of the more stringent ways to hit max science per minute rates.