Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So I opted into the motion smoothing beta of Steam VR and wow I don't know what's going on but the performance is absolutely horrible. I am getting this horrible frame dropping type judder whenever I bring up the steam dashboard which gives me a headache because it looks almost like flicker. I've only gotten this type of judder before when I completely disable reprojection on a demanding game which resulted in frame drops.

Desktop in the dashboard is now migraine inducing and running apps from the dashboard is impossible due to how uncomfortable it is to move my head around. Outside of the dashboard in Steam VR Home beta is alright I guess, but I'm not seeing any benefits or indeed any artifacts from the motion smoothing.

The game where I get the most reprojection in is Rec Room in the Rec Royale mode so I fire that up. No real difference. I still get the same kind of judder from time to time as before especially if I look at my hands and turn my head. No motion smoothing style artifacts, but plenty of ugly judder.

I have Open VR Advanced settings on the dashboard which appeared initially but now doesn't even load up. This is a complete cluster gently caress.

I'm using Nvidia drivers 416.34. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Anybody experiencing what I am reporting?

Also I'm on the Vive which is what the motion smoothing is supposed to work for. Even that monoculus rift dude said motion smoothing works for him so I'm not sure why I am having this nightmare experience.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SteamVR Home in the beta occasionally just turns to rear end for some reason that I'm completely unable to diagnose. If you uncheck the home beta option in the options or hold down the system button and Exit SteamVR Home it'll be fine.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

SteamVR Home in the beta occasionally just turns to rear end for some reason that I'm completely unable to diagnose. If you uncheck the home beta option in the options or hold down the system button and Exit SteamVR Home it'll be fine.

It's happens in VR games too if I bring up the dashboard. And I'm not talking about Steam VR Home Beta. I'm talking about the beta of SteamVR which has the new ASW like "motion smoothing".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's included in the SteamVR beta, and Home shows up when you hit the system button if its enabled.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would imagine Facebook/Oculus is doubling down on the Quest as a sort of medium quality hardware, but "we have all the best games/intellectual property" vendor lock in, similar to what Carmack was saying, competing with the Nintendo Switch.

HTC is going to double down on high end VR for PC, because they've failed as a phone company. There's not really room for two high end VR right now, and anyone trying to compete with HTC is going to get eaten alive by budget VR companies like PiMax and StarVR, and all the others.

Makes sense to take a breather on pc vr, let the market sort itself out, and concentrate on a consumer device that works inside a walled garden, sort of the iPhone of VR with it's own app store, just follow Apple's recipe for success, and later Google's very similar Play recipe.

I don't doubt that Oculus will circle back around to pcVR but the Quest/Go only for now business case seems like the safe bet to become and stay a market leader in the face of hundreds of Chinese me-too hardware models. Without the walled garden app store it's going to be very hard to stand out in another 18 months.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Warning... you're never going to reproduce once you put this on

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m m ok with this Rift news because I plan to buy a Rift and that’s a longer time before I’m left in the dust

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Less Fat Luke posted:

The pessimist in me is worried about PC VR because Valve seems to barely care (or worse, they care and like their games have major institutional problems getting things out the door).

Have you not paid attention to the effort they've put into the Knuckles in the last six months? Because it's a wee bit more than "barely caring".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So they're making me wait even longer now on a follow up to the original Rift? Well isn't that swell. I'll probably be blind from old-age cataracts by then.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you not paid attention to the effort they've put into the Knuckles in the last six months? Because it's a wee bit more than "barely caring".
I mean I have but much like the alleged three full VR games they have in development I'll believe when I can buy them. I want them to not gently caress this up as much as anyone (and I'm even all in their ecosystem with a Vive Pro).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Less Fat Luke posted:

I mean I have but much like the alleged three full VR games they have in development I'll believe when I can buy them. I want them to not gently caress this up as much as anyone (and I'm even all in their ecosystem with a Vive Pro).

Their project pace has been pretty consistent with a major release. EV2's went out, spent several months in stress-testing, and Valve turned around and produced a lot more of the EV3's with the revisions to get those tested again just recently. That is the total opposite of a vaporware project.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Am I wearing the Oculus Go wrong in some way, or is it inevitable that it makes half my face look badly sunburned after I've had it on for awhile?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Sunshine posted:

Am I wearing the Oculus Go wrong in some way, or is it inevitable that it makes half my face look badly sunburned after I've had it on for awhile?

You have what we in the industry call "baby face skin".

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

You don't need to like ratchet it tight onto your face. Keep the top strap relatively long so the back thing is relatively low on the back of your skull. The straps will kind of overlap with the top of your ears.

If you're using it to watch Netflix on the ceiling, its absolute best use case, you can make it real loose.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Comedy option: the Go emits ultraviolet light, so his face looks sunburned because it is sunburned.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Zero VGS posted:

Warning... you're never going to reproduce once you put this on

Do you think they fixed the strap, face cusion and headphones?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mk.I Odyssey on sale for $350 now: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/s...vot:overviewtab

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

Comedy option: the Go emits ultraviolet light, so his face looks sunburned because it is sunburned.

People at Gamestop (back then it was Funcoland) would tell all the customers that the virtualbox fired lasers into your eyes that would permanently damage your sight.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Life Pro Tip re VR burns, don't wash your faceplate with cleaning vinegar. Turns out that stuff burns your skin and is hard to get out of the foam again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There is a fix out for VR in Assetto Corza Compitionzoneione

If you add:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2

To the bottom of the file Engine.ini
Located at C:\Users\YOURPCNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Using Notepad it instantly makes the VR a million times clearer and better

I tried it last night and it's one of those one weird tricks that actually works :v:

iceaim
May 20, 2001

homeless snail posted:

That's included in the SteamVR beta, and Home shows up when you hit the system button if its enabled.

Home works fine in the non beta. It's not an issue with home.

Edit: I am really bummed that the motion smoothing thing isn't working right for me because I was REALLY looking forward to this. Between the horrible migraine making judder on the dashboard and zero motion smoothing in games, something is seriously wrong; possibly with my system. I just don't get it.

I reported my problem on Steam VR forums and on the Vive reddit. Absolutely nobody is experiencing what I am. gently caress me. I can't blame Valve for this because nobody seems to have this problem besides me.The biggest complaint people have is that there's too much smearing; I wish I had that problem. That would mean the motion smoothing is actually working albeit a little too hard (hardware too low end, too much super sampling, graphics settings too high, Fallout 4 VR, DCS, etc).

Even Monoculus Grift owning dude was able to get it working on his end. :(

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro
GTX 1080

iceaim fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 23, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My son and his pals played on my VR the other night and I logged in to find my Oculus home in disarray - tables flipped, poo poo all over the place. I am going to virtually ground him

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Some nutcase actually tried 2080ti SLI with the Pimax VR headset.

Apparently Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous support VR SLI but they still only got single-digit percentage improvements and sometimes did slightly worse than single card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFfQorILRf4&t=258s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zero VGS posted:

Some nutcase actually tried 2080ti SLI with the Pimax VR headset.

Apparently Assetto Corsa supports VR SLI but it still only got single-digit percentage improvements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFfQorILRf4&t=258s

I went through a phase of SLI and Crossfire etc and I got 'better than 98% of people' on 3D Mark, the whole trip, but I don't think I'll ever do it again as I spent too much time loving around and I essentially ended up with a blast furnace under my desk that ran iracing really well :v:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

peter gabriel posted:

I went through a phase of SLI and Crossfire etc and I got 'better than 98% of people' on 3D Mark, the whole trip, but I don't think I'll ever do it again as I spent too much time loving around and I essentially ended up with a blast furnace under my desk that ran iracing really well :v:

The true lesson of SLI is: not even once

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

rage-saq posted:

The true lesson of SLI is: not even once

For me it was one of those itches I had to scratch, but yeah I agree overall.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

peter gabriel posted:

My son and his pals played on my VR the other night and I logged in to find my Oculus home in disarray - tables flipped, poo poo all over the place. I am going to virtually ground him

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

You know, that made me laugh because it's funny and also because he spends 99% of his time in VR playing job simulator anyway ha ha

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I forget where but I swear someone made this a real thing as not a joke already

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

There is a fix out for VR in Assetto Corza Compitionzoneione

If you add:

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2

To the bottom of the file Engine.ini
Located at C:\Users\YOURPCNAME\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Using Notepad it instantly makes the VR a million times clearer and better

I tried it last night and it's one of those one weird tricks that actually works :v:

Thank you for this weird tip discovered by a mom, because i tried ACCVR last night and it suuuuuuucked.

Can you rebind center headset to the wheel yet or do I still have to fumble with a keyboard?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Taintrunner posted:

I forget where but I swear someone made this a real thing as not a joke already

Yep, I remember seeing an article with one of the big US hardware stores (Lowes?) using VR to train customers on power tools.

Edit: Article and Video

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Oh it's my fallout 4 VR savegame

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Update: I ended up fixing my motion smoothing problem described earlier in the thread by deleting 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings. Now everything is smooth as glass and motion smoothing works as it should. Sweet!

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

You don't need to like ratchet it tight onto your face. Keep the top strap relatively long so the back thing is relatively low on the back of your skull. The straps will kind of overlap with the top of your ears.

If you're using it to watch Netflix on the ceiling, its absolute best use case, you can make it real loose.

I tried this, it makes it worse. If the strap is loose, than all of the weight is resting on my face.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
VR video today is fairly amateurish.

The Oculus Go allows you to connect to youtube VR videos, and something called Amaze VR which has videos, and others. As there is no app to properly connect to youtube VR videos, Youtube cleverly decides that you must be using a mobile device to watch these VR videos, and that you therefore probably want video to stream at 480P, which is what it gives you no matter what resolution you tell it to send you.

Amaze VR videos have some bizarre perspective issues. There's one series where they put the camera at about waist height as it moved around and it was supposed to be you talking to people. This created the illusion that you are 3 feet tall. Another series has this woman doing what are supposed to be sexy dances, except the perspective is screwed and it makes her look tiny. It's actually disturbing, as she looks like a 5 year old girl with tits and a woman's face doing sexy dances.

The prevailing attitude seems to be, "We hosed this thing completely? Oh well, put it online anyway".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thank you for this weird tip discovered by a mom, because i tried ACCVR last night and it suuuuuuucked.

Can you rebind center headset to the wheel yet or do I still have to fumble with a keyboard?

I read that you can rebind it now but haven't tried it, I have a little wireless keyboard for stuff like that, it's a really useful thing to have and i recommend one, it's a bit like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-W...G6H7AJV5ZYYZKVB

It gets a lot of use for VR stuff, a good purchase

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Orange Sunshine posted:

I tried this, it makes it worse. If the strap is loose, than all of the weight is resting on my face.

I'm not sure you're quite getting what I mean, nothing should be loose. You want the top strap long enough so that when you tighten the side straps, the back of the strap is almost pushing up on your head instead of down. You want the side straps to be tight enough that it's not flailing around, but not so tight that it's compressing the headset against your face. If it's adjusted properly there's still going to be some weight trying to rotate your head forward (because it's not balanced), but a lot of the weight should be more or less resting on the top strap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've seen probably 8 hours combined or VR video, and yeah most of it is garbage, but I've seen a couple of "5K" 180° VR YouTube videos that loving nail it, and look loving real on my 1080p 1st Gen Pixel in the daydream headset

So yeah, right now video looks loving awful, but done right, modern vr video in high quality looks amazing.... When you can find it. I've seen maybe 5 videos that were reasonably convincing out of 8 hours or so.

My guess is that 3D requires so much post processing that they don't know they've screwed it up until days later after shooting, and most video gigs are one day only

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

VR video today is fairly amateurish.

The Oculus Go allows you to connect to youtube VR videos, and something called Amaze VR which has videos, and others. As there is no app to properly connect to youtube VR videos, Youtube cleverly decides that you must be using a mobile device to watch these VR videos, and that you therefore probably want video to stream at 480P, which is what it gives you no matter what resolution you tell it to send you.

Amaze VR videos have some bizarre perspective issues. There's one series where they put the camera at about waist height as it moved around and it was supposed to be you talking to people. This created the illusion that you are 3 feet tall. Another series has this woman doing what are supposed to be sexy dances, except the perspective is screwed and it makes her look tiny. It's actually disturbing, as she looks like a 5 year old girl with tits and a woman's face doing sexy dances.

The prevailing attitude seems to be, "We hosed this thing completely? Oh well, put it online anyway".

Luckily Carmack is to the rescue! If you haven't seen Henry, the prerendered "Henry 5K" video is probably the best video I've seen on Go. It's pre-rendered 3d and not life action footage, but in principle the encoding technique to playback different sections of video at different rates should carry over to shoot footage as well. https://www.roadtovr.com/carmack-oculus-5k-x-5k-mobile-vr-playback-henry-re-release/

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1000064902701051905

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Delta-Wye posted:

Luckily Carmack is to the rescue! If you haven't seen Henry, the prerendered "Henry 5K" video is probably the best video I've seen on Go. It's pre-rendered 3d and not life action footage, but in principle the encoding technique to playback different sections of video at different rates should carry over to shoot footage as well. https://www.roadtovr.com/carmack-oculus-5k-x-5k-mobile-vr-playback-henry-re-release/

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1000064902701051905

How do you find this on the Oculus Go?