Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Jack Pissbitch is gonna get demoted from pissbitch to the other chad navy men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
meanwhile in Poland

https://twitter.com/astroehlein/status/929661882054660097?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Useful to know if only takes about 70 years for humans to unlearn any lessons from the evils of the past. I wonder what goofed up poo poo the Nazis will get up to in 70 years now, supposing Earth still exists.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krabboss posted:

Useful to know if only takes about 70 years for humans to unlearn any lessons from the evils of the past. I wonder what goofed up poo poo the Nazis will get up to in 70 years now, supposing Earth still exists.

liberalism

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they will remember the fond days of trump

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

freckle posted:

liberalism

jesus christ

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Poland never learned the lessons of WWII, the lesson they learned was that the fine upstanding polish people were cruelly forced to do evil things by outsiders and were totally blameless and innocent of any wrongdoing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

the tankies are right

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't find this in the online version, but the print Washington Post has an article about an upcoming Charlottesville documentary entitled "Taking Their Narrative Back."

quote:

"One common element we found in talking to everyone in this film is that everybody felt that they were in the right ... Whether it was clergy or antifa or alt-right or militia. This was somehow a place where they all thought that they were the good guys."

I am still amazed at the ability of centrists to equivocate peaceful protest and terrorism. Of course, they want to erase the narratives of leftists who were actually there to make this garbage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

GoluboiOgon posted:

I can't find this in the online version, but the print Washington Post has an article about an upcoming Charlottesville documentary entitled "Taking Their Narrative Back."

I am still amazed at the ability of centrists to equivocate peaceful protest and terrorism. Of course, they want to erase the narratives of leftists who were actually there to make this garbage.

Wow, what a unique concept, everyone thinks they're the good guys, no one has heard of this one before.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you know who else did what he thought was right

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Wow, what a unique concept, everyone thinks they're the good guys, no one has heard of this one before.

Luckily we have the bravely objective liberal filmmakers to equivocate regarding attempted defense against murderous nazis. Oh wise white people with masters degrees! Truly you are the measure of all things!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you know who else did what he thought was right

the guy in his avatar?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I'm the guy who thinks people regularly go around thinking their opinions are wrong and that they're bad people. I'm surprised to discover that people, somehow, think the things they believe are good and true.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
a blog linked in the replies is interesting:

http://anton-shekhovtsov.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/russian-politicians-building.html

the claim is that russia is essentially attempting to construct neo-nazi version of the comintern, and it's not entirely unfounded

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

a blog linked in the replies is interesting:

http://anton-shekhovtsov.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/russian-politicians-building.html

the claim is that russia is essentially attempting to construct neo-nazi version of the comintern, and it's not entirely unfounded

saying something isn't "entirely unfounded" is code for bullshit

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

putin actually tried to kowtow to leftists first and there were a few biters but not many actually cared enough to express a hateboner for their home countries, then shortly afterwards figured out right-wingers from many places were easy to flip

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
they have direct documentary evidence, and I think there's definitely circumstantial evidence w.r.t Russia and the US election, brexit, and so on, to suggest that it's more broadly true. I think it's becoming more and more obvious that Russian foreign policy is guided by the goal of building an international, far-right network of political groups across Europe and America. Whether that's because it believes that's going to grant Russia more favorable terms in relations with the west, or it's the result of explicitly adopting that ideology and wanting to spread it, or if it's an attempt to divide up the groups that are its main geopolitical rivals, the motivations aren't clear. It may be a combinational of all 3. But its actions speak for themselves.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the polish neonazis aren't going to cozy up to Russia. The Eastern European Right hates Russians almost as much as they hate Jews.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the polish neonazis aren't going to cozy up to Russia. The Eastern European Right hates Russians almost as much as they hate Jews.
that's part of why putin's bid for european politics largely ended up backfiring

the other part was that his russian mob surrogate handouts weren't exactly subtle to their right-wing base

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the Russians definitely do want to start up a League of Extraordinary Assholes with other right wing political parties, but calling it a"Comintern for Neonazis" is stupid.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes, such an alliance would be just as crazy as an alliance between Nazis and the Soviet Union. That would never happen!

Politics makes strange bedfellows, and the Poles hate the Ukrainians as much if not more than they hate the Russians, so don't rule out an alliance based solely on mutual dislike.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
no, they definitely hate jews, muslims and liberals more. the linked blog had a document showing that polish far right groups had been invited to this 'national conservative' forum, and that includes 'falange', which is that weird totally-not-a-swaztika thing you see in the twitter photo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the Russians definitely do want to start up a League of Extraordinary Assholes with other right wing political parties, but calling it a"Comintern for Neonazis" is stupid.
you're right, we should just called it nazintern

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GoluboiOgon posted:

Yes, such an alliance would be just as crazy as an alliance between Nazis and the Soviet Union. That would never happen!

This is not an appropriate comparison for any number of reasons, but chiefly as the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was an impromptu affair that both parties considered to be a short-term expedient which sooner or later one or both would break. Stalin and Hitler both considered mutual coexistence impossible, in Hitler's case because that's who he was, and in Stalin's because he'd read Mein Kampf and considered that when Hitler wrote in it "my chief goal in life is to roll Eastward and carve out a settle empire from the corpses of the filthy subhumans living there and also to be clear I don't just mean Poland here," he wasn't just joking around. The pact itself came about because Hitler needed to secure his eastern flank in case the Western Allies decided to get off their asses and do something when he invaded Poland (which he figured they wouldn't), and Stalin needed to buy time to finish the reforms of the Red Army which he'd started earlier in the 30s after the purges (and also wanted an excuse to snatch up the Baltic states, a chance for which the pact afforded). The current state of affairs in eastern Europe does not mirror either that of the USSR and Third Reich in 1939, nor the geopolitical stage on which the M-R Pact came about.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Nov 12, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoluboiOgon posted:

It didn't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/929730217928781824

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Vic Berger is the hero we need

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
vic doesn't realize yet that twitter is being run by an incel nazi

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

logikv9 posted:

"Bitch don't you know who I am? I'M JACK FROM TWITTER!"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Bitch don't you know who I am? I'M JACK FROM TWITTER!"

this, except it's notch and he's trying to impress them with stories about making minecraft

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Yes you see, I see and play Infiniminer? And I copy it."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Twitter's admins are so loving cowardly it'd be funny if there weren't awful consequences.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Twitter's admins are so loving cowardly it'd be funny if there weren't awful consequences.
i'm not sure "cowardly" is the word i'd be using there

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

rudatron posted:

they have direct documentary evidence, and I think there's definitely circumstantial evidence w.r.t Russia and the US election, brexit, and so on, to suggest that it's more broadly true. I think it's becoming more and more obvious that Russian foreign policy is guided by the goal of building an international, far-right network of political groups across Europe and America. Whether that's because it believes that's going to grant Russia more favorable terms in relations with the west, or it's the result of explicitly adopting that ideology and wanting to spread it, or if it's an attempt to divide up the groups that are its main geopolitical rivals, the motivations aren't clear. It may be a combinational of all 3. But its actions speak for themselves.

It's definitely a little bit of all three. The easy part is whipping idiots into a nationalist frenzy; the hard(er) part is capitalizing on that after any fallout/collapse/shift that occurs. Given everything we've seen so far, these groups may not be directly FUNDED by Russia, but I assure you there's at least one high Handler sitting somewhere in those ranks to facilitate Benefits.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

logikv9 posted:

their cofounder started the proud boys, why would they care

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

putin actually tried to kowtow to leftists first and there were a few biters but not many actually cared enough to express a hateboner for their home countries, then shortly afterwards figured out right-wingers from many places were easy to flip
yeah russia looks for opportunities where it can find them and russian tactics vary depending on the state / government. the russian government will also adjust; so it promotes the far-right in some countries but demonizes them in others (like poland and estonia) where the far-right is hostile.

like this RT article on the nazi march in poland.

https://www.rt.com/news/409589-poland-independence-far-right-march/

the lede is "Loud, racist and extreme-right activists have hijacked Poland’s Independence Day celebrations in Warsaw." the headline for the video on the anti-fascist counter-protest is "Poland: Anti-fascist demo counters nationalist march in Warsaw." to say the anti-fascists countered the march is positive spin.

of course, giving attention to the far-right in poland also benefits russia, since the russian government would be happy to see a wedge between poland and NATO. "crazy nazis on run amok in poland" etc. etc. "poland scary."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"Yes you see, I see and play Infiniminer? And I copy it."

what makes me furious is the guy who made that should be a billionaire because his games are so good

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
the cia must be really mad that Russia is doing what they keep trying to do, but much more effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Al! posted:

what makes me furious is the guy who made that should be a billionaire because his games are so good

i mean, at least i assume, i cant get very far in em