Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
$25 a month on gym doesn't seem outrageous, the cell phone is a bit on the expensive side though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

That budget is mostly just tight. She doesn't make any drat money. There is nothing huge and obvious to get rid of.

She needs to lose at least one gym unless she has a free or cheaper alternative, in which case she should use that. I hesitate to say neither is necessary, since $44 or $25 a month is not that much and we discount the importance of exercise and recreation in our health, but she has no money. If she's only using the gym for the treadmill or cycle, there's probably a Planet Fitness that will be cheaper.

Obviously money spent at the hospital for food is down the tubes, but understandable. Nursing student schedules are ridiculous. I guess she's going to need to prep her meals a week out or something.

Cable is also a waste. I don't see how a student can do without phone and internet, especially if she isn't living on campus. Need internet for assignments, quizzes, and in a lot of cases, lessons. Need phone for coordinating study group, group assignments, rotations, etc. She might be able to reduce these, but if cable is part of a bundle and she has to eat an ETF on the phone, she'll be lucky to halve the telecom costs.

Losing the car would free up some money, but if she's got school, hospital, work, and various rotation sites to get to, there might literally not be enough hours in the day to get to those things via public transit. Without any savings she can't pick up a beater, and likely anything she could afford is going to eat up in maintenance costs whatever she would save by decreasing the insurance coverage.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today we had a reddit-SA crossover!

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/59l4my/my_35f_boyfriend_36m_constantly_harasses_me_about

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 3 years (living together for 6 months) and usually he's pretty relaxed and sweet but our relationship has one sticking point which is our preferences in internet forums. I browse reddit (throwaway even though I don't post on my main account anyway) and he uses another forum called SA. It shouldn't be a problem but 1) he has a tantrum every time he sees me browsing reddit and 2) he spends hundreds of dollars (we don't have that much spare money) buying display pictures and signing up when he gets banned. He makes snarky comments about how reddit is for dumb children and pedophiles if he sees it open on my laptop. I usually just ignore it but if I try to defend it he will get really mad and make a big deal about it and tell me to stop using reddit. Last time I did this he called me a piss bitch. I don't care that he uses a different forum but he is literally making us bankrupt with the amount of money he wastes on display pictures and new accounts for SA, at least $100 every month which he justifies as "supporting his forums". I quit smoking because we couldn't afford it and it was my biggest recreational expense and I suggested he could do something else to help make rent and he wouldn't even discuss this expense with me. He's so stubborn on the issue and it is really affecting the relationship but I feel like breaking up with him would be overreacting. How do I deal with the situation?

TL;DR my boyfriend hates that I use Reddit and is bankrupting us.

Tl;dr: my SO is a goony goon and won't stop buying avatars and unbanning himself on SA so we're not homeless.

Edit: somebody should buy her an account so we can mock her bf call her bf out.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

congrats to dare on getting laid

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

That budget is mostly just tight. She doesn't make any drat money. There is nothing huge and obvious to get rid of.

She needs to lose at least one gym unless she has a free or cheaper alternative, in which case she should use that. I hesitate to say neither is necessary, since $44 or $25 a month is not that much and we discount the importance of exercise and recreation in our health, but she has no money. If she's only using the gym for the treadmill or cycle, there's probably a Planet Fitness that will be cheaper.

Obviously money spent at the hospital for food is down the tubes, but understandable. Nursing student schedules are ridiculous. I guess she's going to need to prep her meals a week out or something.

Cable is also a waste. I don't see how a student can do without phone and internet, especially if she isn't living on campus. Need internet for assignments, quizzes, and in a lot of cases, lessons. Need phone for coordinating study group, group assignments, rotations, etc. She might be able to reduce these, but if cable is part of a bundle and she has to eat an ETF on the phone, she'll be lucky to halve the telecom costs.

Losing the car would free up some money, but if she's got school, hospital, work, and various rotation sites to get to, there might literally not be enough hours in the day to get to those things via public transit. Without any savings she can't pick up a beater, and likely anything she could afford is going to eat up in maintenance costs whatever she would save by decreasing the insurance coverage.

Why do you have to pay to rock climb, there's rocks like all over the place, I assume you can climb those.

Why yes I am fat and lazy how did you know

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

froglet posted:

quote:

I think he registered an account for me when we started dating but I never used it because it looked like a pretty dodgy site.

We're too dodgy for the likes of her :sigh:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Aww, we're not that bad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe the guy isn't buying $100+ of custom titles and ban evasion but is instead buying imaginary drawings of spaceships from Lowtax.

Is that better or worse, I'm not even sure.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

Maybe the guy isn't buying $100+ of custom titles and ban evasion but is instead buying imaginary drawings of spaceships from Lowtax.

Is that better or worse, I'm not even sure.

I donated :20bux: and Lowtax got Derek Smart to unblock me on twitter. BWM? You decide.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Pssh. Who needs that piss bitch?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

From one of the goon haters in the thread.

quote:

I am semi wealthy (house, car, boat.) and I can't imagine spending anything like $100 a month on a forum or video game. (I gave reddit gold a few times to "support reddit" but only when I was having a very good week. Hell I don't spend $100 a month on internet service.

Is it the boat that makes them semi-wealthy do you think?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Eldred posted:

The hell kind of legal issues keep you from serving? Caught stealing booze or something?
Probably served alcohol to a minor.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

froglet posted:

Today we had a reddit-SA crossover!

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/59l4my/my_35f_boyfriend_36m_constantly_harasses_me_about

Tl;dr: my SO is a goony goon and won't stop buying avatars and unbanning himself on SA so we're not homeless.

Jesus, she hooked a winner. Aside from everything else, why would you continue a relationship with someone that calls you a "piss bitch"? Literal child.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Jesus, she hooked a winner. Aside from everything else, why would you continue a relationship with someone that calls you a "piss bitch"? Literal child.

Cause she's the kind of person who posts on Reddit? :v:

JK it's cause people have terrible ideas about what is acceptable or good behavior from a partner

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It's definitely someone in this thread trolling that sub hoping we find it and post it here. I approve

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
She just needs to get real beefy and dump the dude.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Virigoth posted:

Is it the boat that makes them semi-wealthy do you think?

Nah it's all the debt to buy the house, car and boat. Debt is wealth. He just has a semi over it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

quote:

I am semi wealthy (house, car, boat.)

I'm going to adopt this turn of phrase. I am semi-wealthy (sleep on a bed instead of a pile of trash, 3 cats).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I get a semi thinking about all this wealth.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Just wait until we're gold, then get a semi. Or in the following case burglars got a semi after discovering this woman's life savings. She planned on retiring in two years with $187k.

quote:

They asked if she was OK and Phuong Dinh told the officers her entire life savings had been stolen — $60,000 in cash and 100 1-ounce gold bars. The gold bars were from the sale of Phuong Dinh’s home in Vietnam, her daughter said, and would be worth about $127,000 today.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/2...k&ICID=ref_fark

MenschMaschine
Jun 10, 2009

Halb Wesen und halb Ding
:roboluv:
...aber oho!

Devian666 posted:

.../st-paul-mn-burglary-gold-bars-cash-life-savings/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

No. Those fark days are behind me now. I am a good goon.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MenschMaschine posted:

No. Those fark days are behind me now. I am a good goon.

It's difficult to stop being a farker.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/environment/endangered-animals-guilty-of-poor-financial-planning-20161027116136

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's true, but it isn't just hype. Custom fabric printing and labor-intensive manufacturing techniques legitimately limit the supply of specialty apparel. And there is a VIP program for Nike shoes, it's just not something you can buy into. The fashion industry runs on a "cool" economy in parallel to the economic one, and that frequently leads to counterintuitive market behavior. Fashion models, for instance, get paid less the more prestigious a booking is. Couture runway models don't get paid at all.

My eyes just rolled right out of my head and across the room.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Devian666 posted:

Just wait until we're gold, then get a semi. Or in the following case burglars got a semi after discovering this woman's life savings. She planned on retiring in two years with $187k.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/2...k&ICID=ref_fark

Not trusting banks is BWM

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm going to adopt this turn of phrase. I am semi-wealthy (sleep on a bed instead of a pile of trash, 3 cats).

Semi-wealthy: Trucker who has truck equity.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Semi-Wealthy: I take designer drugs at operas

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This bird is absolutely gorgeous.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Adiabatic posted:

Semi-Wealthy: I take designer drugs at operas

I wonder how SloMo is doing. I really could not believe that dumbass got a vasectomy at like, 26.

Anthony Rapp
Mar 29, 2004
Blame it on Cain, don't blame it on me.
Grimey Drawer

Eldred posted:

I wonder how SloMo is doing. I really could not believe that dumbass got a vasectomy at like, 26.

Rolling in piles of american flag tshirts in front of a scorpion mural.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Eldred posted:

I only know some of his backstory, did he do it too soon or too late?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

NancyPants posted:

I only know some of his backstory, did he do it too soon or too late?

Depends how you look at it. He had multiple pregnancy scares and was worried that a kid would cramp his "baller lifestyle" and a woman would want to keep the kid to drain him financially.

The fact that it was done before he managed to actually get someone pregnant was a gift to the world.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's hard to tell when that thread went from being somewhat truthful to 100% trolling, so who knows if he really did it or not.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's hard to tell when that thread went from being somewhat truthful to 100% trolling, so who knows if he really did it or not.

I dunno, he was clearly loving with people but a vasectomy is awfully left-field for a trolling effort. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the personality type that keeps posting somewhere to be yelled at though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Somebody who doesn't think they'd be good at kids is a GREAT candidate for sterilization, we should celebrate the hell out of that.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that it was done before he managed to actually get someone pregnant was a gift to the world.

He didn't. The thread ended with a literal abortion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Foma posted:

Not trusting banks is BWM

And burglarizing those people is good with money. One of my old clients took all their money and bought precious metals with it and buried it on their property. It's a big property, but not so big that walking around with a metal detector isn't worth it. When they die I'm gonna buy that place.

I'm joking of course....well half joking

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

And burglarizing those people is good with money. One of my old clients took all their money and bought precious metals with it and buried it on their property. It's a big property, but not so big that walking around with a metal detector isn't worth it. When they die I'm gonna buy that place.

I'm joking of course....well half joking

Does it count as like insider trading or something if you buy that property?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Electrical Fire posted:

Does it count as like insider trading or something if you buy that property?

The heirs might sue if he dig something up right away and visibly sells it. Smart heirs would run around with a metal detector, act like they had no idea about the precious metals and sell it for the value of property plus the expected value of precious metals which they have removed.

• Locked thread