Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Manslaughter posted:

Any reason you can't just lie about all that?

Most of the ones I've taken don't get the input from you in regards to your age, etc (thus, no chance to lie). The survey company knows exactly who you are. They just "anonymize" the results by giving basically everything but your name to the people who paid for the loyalty test survey.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My previous employer did one of those surveys the year after they dumped all health insurance plans except the high deductible health plan. They seemed shocked and dismayed when everyone suddenly said the benefits were poo poo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RFC2324 posted:

But vim is, and always will be, the superior text editor.

The idea of a text editor where someone who has never used it before but simply wanted to change one line in a plaintext config file would need to look in the manual to figure out how to even start typing in the document much less save and exit is, always has been, and always will be absurd.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

wolrah posted:

The idea of a text editor where someone who has never used it before but simply wanted to change one line in a plaintext config file would need to look in the manual to figure out how to even start typing in the document much less save and exit is, always has been, and always will be absurd.

My first couple forays into Linux, I'd reboot the loving computer if I got 'stuck in vim' because I didn't have a Linux book and of course we had dial-up back then. I thought I was a fancy pants when I learned how to switch virtual terminals and look up commands when I was stuck in another.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

Counterpoint: Notepad.exe

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

wolrah posted:

I figured it out with reading a manual, way back when.

All I learned was :wq! but that was enough to change a single line in a plaintext config file.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

wolrah posted:

nano supremacy :getin:

xzzy posted:

Counterpoint: Notepad.exe

If you use Windows and attempt to edit text files in Notepad.exe instead of Notepad++ then you deserve all the headaches that result from trying to read files with different encoding and EOL characters.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can always ctrl+z out of vi as well, long as you're not in edit mode (and edit mode is obvious). So if you have any understanding of the shell you can kill it that way.

Can't say the same for emacs as far as I can remember. :angel:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

xzzy posted:

You can always ctrl+z out of vi as well, long as you're not in edit mode (and edit mode is obvious). So if you have any understanding of the shell you can kill it that way.

Can't say the same for emacs as far as I can remember. :angel:

I bet there is a unix box out there with thousands of stopped vim processes sitting around.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gounads posted:

I bet there is a unix box out there with thousands of stopped vim processes sitting around.

I think I'm gonna develop the habit of issuing an fg every time i console into a box and find it already logged in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cenodoxus posted:

If you use Windows and attempt to edit text files in Notepad.exe instead of Notepad++ then you deserve all the headaches that result from trying to read files with different encoding and EOL characters.
Is making Notepad not poo poo anywhere on Microsoft's to-do list? Seems shameful that the default basic text file editor should be so... garbage. I get that it's probably deliberately minimal, but still.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

nano supremacy :getin:
Sup nano buddy. :smug::hf::smug:

edit*

quote:

If you use Windows and attempt to edit text files in Notepad.exe instead of Notepad++ Sublime then you deserve all the headaches that result from trying to read files with different encoding and EOL characters.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 6, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is making Notepad not poo poo anywhere on Microsoft's to-do list? Seems shameful that the default basic text file editor should be so... garbage. I get that it's probably deliberately minimal, but still.
Be careful what you wish for...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cenodoxus posted:

I was more trying to make the point that vi is one extreme, a powerful editor that you literally can't figure out without reading documentation, and notepad is the other extreme: so stupid simple you can't do anything except type and press enter.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

I was more trying to make the point that vi is one extreme, a powerful editor that you literally can't figure out without reading documentation, and notepad is the other extreme: so stupid simple you can't do anything except type and press enter.

but don't move files from notepad to vi lest you get a ton of non-unix compatible line breaks that make the file not work on linux!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I use VsVim instead of normal VIsual Studio development.

I think the time saved by not needing to move my hand to a mouse is completely negated by the time it takes to count lines/characters and remember the 6 character command to delete something without it overwriting my clipboard buffer.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

Be careful what you wish for...

Bane of my existence. Also can't search for calc anymore on german windows.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Probably not. I don't know if this is true anymore but notepad started life as just a resizable text box winform with a menu bar attached to it. You could remake it in Visual C# in like 30 minutes. Windows really could use a native text editor that supports other encoding and EOL, yeah.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I remember right, the binary for Notepad was only around 40kb for many years. Obviously there's a heck of a lot more code behind it in the OS that it depends on, but yeah, it's just regurgitating a couple basic windows gui elements.

That it's survived so long without some industrious intern turning it into something much bigger is pretty impressive. I guess Microsoft really doesn't want anything getting too close to their Office empire.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xzzy posted:

If I remember right, the binary for Notepad was only around 40kb for many years. Obviously there's a heck of a lot more code behind it in the OS that it depends on, but yeah, it's just regurgitating a couple basic windows gui elements.

That it's survived so long without some industrious intern turning it into something much bigger is pretty impressive. I guess Microsoft really doesn't want anything getting too close to their Office empire.
WordPad has existed forever though (wasn't it called Write in the old days?)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the two exec assistants called me and said "<garbled> needs a white cable for her laptop."
I said "I'm sorry I didn't catch the name."
"A white cable. A white cable for her laptop."
"I got that, but not the name of the person."
"A WHITE CABLE FOR HER LAPTOP."
"At the beginning of the call I didn't hear the name of the person that needs the cable."
"YOUR BOSS." <slams phone receiver down>

It went downhill from there.

Today has been really bad but I've managed to not quit. I did slip up at one point and let my frustration show on my face for a moment and that was enough to get some stares of disapproval from the people involved. It definitely adds to the stress to not only have to absorb constant bad treatment but have to remain completely unresponsive to it.

The only option I'm ever offered is quitting, and after so many years of this I'm very tired of it. It's like there's no one left in the world who's willing to talk about problems, especially ones manufactured out of thin air.

It always boils down to "If you don't like it then quit. If you don't like it then quit. If you don't like it then quit." I don't think it's possible to feel less valued than I do now. Too many years of being disposable to too many people. Too many years of not getting even basic respect.

EDIT: In the middle of typing this the old guy that has a one-man office on this floor came by to ask for help with something. He's always so nice about it. It's very strange to be experiencing these things at the same time. Being treated kindly is so foreign to me now.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
You should definitely quit for your own sanity. If they won't care to see you leave then find a new job and just wait* for the next "if you don't like it you should just quit" moment. Reply with a simple "ok," a big smile and go happily collect your things.

* - I'm assuming it would be less than two weeks before such a thing occurred after finding a new job and getting an offer.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Ok everyone, keep treating Mr. Trauma like poo poo. Eventually he'll quit, and then we won't have to pay severance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't think they even care about my status. I fall somewhere below that level of attention. After so many years of this at multiple jobs it's weird that the problems either don't show up on my reviews, or like this place I simply don't get a review. You'd think all these poo poo bosses would want to get rid of me and would give me bad reviews, write-ups, etc. But other than that one weird ambush meeting at the last place that never happens.

They just beat on me until I break and then replace me. Like at the last place where my boss didn't even call to see why I quit. Why would he care? After four years I quit, my position was open... he just moved on to getting a replacement. No different than throwing out the trash and putting a new bag in the can.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Manslaughter posted:

Ok everyone, keep treating Mr. Trauma like poo poo. Eventually he'll quit, and then we won't have to pay severance.

Assuming he's eligible for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

You must be new to America.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Dick Trauma posted:

One of the two exec assistants called me and said "<garbled> needs a white cable for her laptop."
I said "I'm sorry I didn't catch the name."
"A white cable. A white cable for her laptop."
"I got that, but not the name of the person."
"A WHITE CABLE FOR HER LAPTOP."
"At the beginning of the call I didn't hear the name of the person that needs the cable."
"YOUR BOSS." <slams phone receiver down>

It went downhill from there.

Today has been really bad but I've managed to not quit. I did slip up at one point and let my frustration show on my face for a moment and that was enough to get some stares of disapproval from the people involved. It definitely adds to the stress to not only have to absorb constant bad treatment but have to remain completely unresponsive to it.

The only option I'm ever offered is quitting, and after so many years of this I'm very tired of it. It's like there's no one left in the world who's willing to talk about problems, especially ones manufactured out of thin air.

It always boils down to "If you don't like it then quit. If you don't like it then quit. If you don't like it then quit." I don't think it's possible to feel less valued than I do now. Too many years of being disposable to too many people. Too many years of not getting even basic respect.

EDIT: In the middle of typing this the old guy that has a one-man office on this floor came by to ask for help with something. He's always so nice about it. It's very strange to be experiencing these things at the same time. Being treated kindly is so foreign to me now.

Also.. what white cable? Charger? Usb?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RFC2324 posted:

I figured it out with reading a manual, way back when.

All I learned was :wq! but that was enough to change a single line in a plaintext config file.

That's too long :x is a shortcut to that.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Dick Trauma posted:

Here: "If you don't like it stop giving a poo poo." Seriously. Come in, punch the clock, collect your paycheck, go home. Start looking for your next job at your current job.

You absolutely don't need to be treated that way. You are either a diligent and skilled worker, or a very, very good liar. If an employer is treating you like poo poo, don't be afraid to treat then like poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

DaRealAce posted:

Also.. what white cable? Charger? Usb?

Long story short: lightning cable for an iPhone. Just take my word for it that this simple thing turned into a brief debacle because people are unable to communicate the most basic things without being hostile fuckheads, no matter how polite and patient I am.

EDIT: I'm not lying about this stuff. I know it's hard to believe. I understand that in some way I must contribute to it but I think the way I've been treated at so many jobs is out of proportion to whatever my transgressions are. I've never felt the need to step on people, even people I don't like, and I can't understand why I encounter it so often.

EDIT 2: I've been looking for another job for a while now. Slim pickings so far.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 6, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dick Trauma posted:

Long story short: lightning cable for an iPhone. Just take my word for it that this simple thing turned into a brief debacle because people are unable to communicate the most basic things without being hostile fuckheads, no matter how polite and patient I am.

EDIT: I'm not lying about this stuff. I know it's hard to believe. I understand that in some way I must contribute to it but I think the way I've been treated at so many jobs is out of proportion to whatever my transgressions are. I've never felt the need to step on people, even people I don't like, and I can't understand why I encounter it so often.

EDIT 2: I've been looking for another job for a while now. Slim pickings so far.

I've only run into it a couple times, you must be a magnet for it. Ofc, last time I had management treat me that way, I walked(it was back when I did call centers, the the former marine drill sgt who ran the place spent 20 minutes screaming at me in the middle of the call center floor about how we were all just trying to take advantage and not do any work. this was started by a smoke break I had permission to take)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RFC2324 posted:

I've only run into it a couple times, you must be a magnet for it. Ofc, last time I had management treat me that way, I walked(it was back when I did call centers, the the former marine drill sgt who ran the place spent 20 minutes screaming at me in the middle of the call center floor about how we were all just trying to take advantage and not do any work. this was started by a smoke break I had permission to take)

A friend of mine has a 20 year old son that worked as a busboy at a restaurant. He's swimming in debt and has absolutely no money. He was convinced that eventually he'd be managing the restaurant. This was because the current manager of the restaurant (the owner's son) worked as busboy there while he was in college getting his business degree. This kid was a high school (home schooled) drop out. He was so certain he'd be managing this restaurant in a year or two, that he didn't really care about anything else. One day, they asked him to set some tables and move some chairs, that was the last straw. He was the busboy, not the table setter, and so he walked.

I talked to his dad, and his dad was in agreement with his action.

This story doesn't really relate, but it's tangentially related and makes me laugh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dick Trauma posted:

Where are you at? Want to move to NYC and work as a Linux admin?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Alright I'm over it for now. I got called back to deal with my boss's occasional issue with wifi turning itself off on her laptop and then you can't turn it back on. It happens when she tethers it to her iPhone and the easy cure is just to restart. It's such an infrequent problem it doesn't require intensive troubleshooting.

As always she said "If you don't know how to do it ask Bill. He always fixes it for me."
And as always I replied "When you give your laptop to Bill to fix he gives it to me. I'm the one that fixes it. Not him. All he does is carry the laptop."
She said "Oh" and I proceeded to reboot her dumb laptop and "fix" the problem.

I felt better after that. I'll keep trying to care less but clearly it's a lesson that's proven hard for me to learn. I wish I could turn my sensitivity knob down to zero. Having feelings has done nothing for me and in some ways I would be better off as an appliance.

EDIT:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Where are you at? Want to move to NYC and work as a Linux admin?

I honestly am not smart enough to be a Linux admin. I'm in awe of the depth and breadth of knowledge of the people in our I.T. threads and I can't count myself as being a true peer. I have few real I.T. skills left after too many years at too many small companies where I was the only I.T. person. Never had people to learn from, no mentors, no training. I know how to run a department, oversee consultants, manage the projects, get the results. That's it.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 6, 2016

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I know that I have it good with the managers at my MSP, but jesus do I feel for you. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the ability to straight talk all management when things were not what I expected they should be. Hope you get out of there and that the place somehow finds a way to burn to the ground when you hand in your notice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Coworker, would it kill you to at least test the credentials to see if they work before sending them to me?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

"Hey, can we get you to Kansas on the 23rd?"
"Okay." *books ticket*

~15 minutes later~
"Hey, we actually need you in Kansas on the 16th."
"Okay." * Books ticket, pays change fee*

~20 minutes later~
"Hey, we need you in Kansas tonight, Iowa tomorrow night, and Illionois the following morning."
"Is this going to change again, because the increasingly urgent tickets are expensive...."
"Yeah. That's fine."

~As I leave for the airport and drop off my receipts~
"WHY DID THESE COST $1,000 EACH WAY?!?"
"Because you want to fly me everywhere on an emergency basis?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you should push back the responsibility for booking travel onto your company or their agent. Seems like a quick way to end up out of pocket for a few weeks.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I think you should push back the responsibility for booking travel onto your company or their agent. Seems like a quick way to end up out of pocket for a few weeks.

I never trust my travel to others.

And company card. I will not pick up costs for a company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah company card, as you were.