Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Custom scenario > add part > stat multiplier > hunger/rest rate modifier.

Seriously people the scenario editor is your friend, you can modify virtually anything you can see on the stat panel with it.

If you wanted to you could also make the pawns faster if you want them to move further in the same amount of time.

I think they were talking about, and I was talking about, changing the timescale itself. So that if a Rimworld 24-hour day currently takes say 10 minutes at speed 1 it would instead take 20, or 60, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Is there a mod that will allow me to set pawns to attack by default,or at least to speed up the process? Having to remember to set colonist assignments and then having to click twice per colonist is getting a little tedious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tudabee posted:

Is there a mod that will allow me to set pawns to attack by default,or at least to speed up the process? Having to remember to set colonist assignments and then having to click twice per colonist is getting a little tedious.

What do you mean "attack by default", exactly? Do you mean getting colonists into defensive positions? If you mean that, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 is your friend; if you have a fancy enough setup where you have colonists changing gear for attacks, you also will probably like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316142788 .

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Kanos posted:

What do you mean "attack by default", exactly? Do you mean getting colonists into defensive positions? If you mean that, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 is your friend; if you have a fancy enough setup where you have colonists changing gear for attacks, you also will probably like https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316142788 .

Sorry, I meant when you go to the Assign tab and mark them as Ignore/Flee/Attack. It's always set to Flee by default but I was wondering if there was a way to set it to Attack by default (or at least a way to set it to Attack en mass).

Edit: I already had defensive positions, but did not have the gear one, thank you for that recommendation!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the attack/flee behavior for undrafted pawns, like I usually put my hunters on attack since they have good shooting and can safely defend against a revenge attack. I don't recall seeing a mod that sets that toggle for you, though maybe one of the pawn management mods makes it easier to see at a glance what everyone is set to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I think they were talking about, and I was talking about, changing the timescale itself. So that if a Rimworld 24-hour day currently takes say 10 minutes at speed 1 it would instead take 20, or 60, or whatever.

That you can't modify no, but you can, say, speed everything else up relative to the speed of the game, which would have a similar effect. You would, essentially, spend more time running the game at lower speed.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

tudabee posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a mod somewhere, but at some point the UI got updated so you can just click and drag down the list to copy a colonist's settings. As far as I can tell, nothing actually tells you this, but it works for everything in the assignments tab.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So for a good time, when assaulting enemy bases/cities, load up a drop pod with chemfuel, explosives and a single boomalope or boomrat as the detonator. Once you're in the map proper you can send "reinforcements" with much greater accuracy. Drop the payload into an tight grouping, they kill the Boomer and a larger boom follows.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Also those modifiers exist in game and can be modded. I've made several bionic parts that effect restFallFactor and hungerFactor or whatever. Phone posting atm so I don't have the exact names.

Edit: woops didn't quote the post taking about rest and hunger times

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a mod somewhere, but at some point the UI got updated so you can just click and drag down the list to copy a colonist's settings. As far as I can tell, nothing actually tells you this, but it works for everything in the assignments tab.

What the gently caress how did I not know this? Thank you!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'm doing a run where the map is about 10% size and there are 8 raider groups which all set up new bases over time. My self-imposed win condition is to wipe out all bases then leave the planet.

What's the best way to wipe out a base? I was buying up every anti-grain warhead I could afford, but mortars are so innacurate that I've wasted a few. The orbital weapons seem very effective but they're not too common.

I've wiped out 6 of the 8 gangs at those point, but it would be interesting to hear opinions.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Use the above drop pod trick to deliver the antigrains with precision?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Is the beauty bonus from using marble for walls/flooring actually enough to matter, or should I just stick to whatever is more affordable? Some quick math says a 10x10 room (12x12 including walls) would get 144 more beauty, but you can make that up real easy with just one good statue. Smaller rooms get less bonus but you have less space to cram statues as well.

This is mostly a question because I've used up all the marble chunks on my map already, tiling a large base burns though blocks fast. Maybe I'm missing something though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

isndl posted:

Is the beauty bonus from using marble for walls/flooring actually enough to matter, or should I just stick to whatever is more affordable? Some quick math says a 10x10 room (12x12 including walls) would get 144 more beauty, but you can make that up real easy with just one good statue. Smaller rooms get less bonus but you have less space to cram statues as well.

This is mostly a question because I've used up all the marble chunks on my map already, tiling a large base burns though blocks fast. Maybe I'm missing something though.
For living/rec/bedrooms and prisons, you also want to increase the wealth of a room. So being expensive is part of the point.

Steel floors (and later silver floors) have an important advantage though: they boost the cleanliness stat, which is often a big contributor to why a room drops in impressiveness since the algorithm heavily biases the worst thing about a room.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
to answer the question directly though it can be quite useful in certain situations but it is absolutely not big enough to stress out about it.

my biggest criteria for materials when building stuff is "is not flammable."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I'm doing a run where the map is about 10% size and there are 8 raider groups which all set up new bases over time. My self-imposed win condition is to wipe out all bases then leave the planet.

What's the best way to wipe out a base? I was buying up every anti-grain warhead I could afford, but mortars are so innacurate that I've wasted a few. The orbital weapons seem very effective but they're not too common.

I've wiped out 6 of the 8 gangs at those point, but it would be interesting to hear opinions.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1771402217

Build your own ion cannon.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

It doesn't seem that effective. Lots of charring and crying but they don't look downed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the resolution is too small to easily tell but if you zoom in there's 3 downs and 3 more heavy wounds that will probably result in pain downs as the fires on the pawns run their course

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean given it runs on electricity it doesn't want to be much more powerful.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Donkringel posted:

It doesn't seem that effective. Lots of charring and crying but they don't look downed.

"Superweapons" in Command And Conquer were also really not that effective by themselves, and that effect is like four times as dope as any version of the Ion Cannon.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean given it runs on electricity it doesn't want to be much more powerful.

broh 3 downs and 3 heavy wounds with no real risk to my boys is something i'd give my left nut for in rimworld

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's the thing, it's literally an orbital laser on command, you still want to have your pawns need to do something it's just if you want a longer term goal to work towards in your conquest then strategic level weapons I think are a nice element.

LonsomeSon posted:

four times as dope as any version of the Ion Cannon.

This, however, I can not abide. I played the poo poo out of CnC renegade as a kid and the ion cannon effect in that was loving incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwOqQHSvPiI

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The most powerful part of the ARES is defensive; it drags everyone inside it to a halt because they keep getting staggered, so they'll be sitting ducks for the duration of the storm, if you had, say a large battery of artillery pieces (power++ is a really cool mod over all, and surprisingly well balanced).

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

OwlFancier posted:

This, however, I can not abide. I played the poo poo out of CnC renegade as a kid and the ion cannon effect in that was loving incredible.

HOLY poo poo how did I forget about Renegade?! I stand justly chastised.

Still, the only C&C RTS game to have interesting and useful superweaons was Generals, which was in no way a 'real' C&C game. Its version of the ion cannon owned bones, though, since you could move it around during its firing duration and chase your buddy's desperately fleeing Overlord tank column.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Renegade fuckin ruled.

Im Rimworld chat, is there a mod that helps out with bedroom assignment? Adds a new UI pane that lists all pawns grouped by relationship and what beds they're assigned to or anything like that?

My married couples keep heading for free beds and getting bad thoughts for it, usually after they find themselves sleeping on a bedroll while in a convoy or whatever and it's annoying to keep having to fix it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Arrath posted:

Renegade fuckin ruled.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

isndl posted:

Ultimately unless you're at the point you're building floors with silver and gold, by far the most significant way to improve room beauty is stuffing art in there. Due to this my general approach regarding walls/floors concurs with coolguye's, i.e. "whatever is commonly available and not flammable".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Pro(?) tip: Once you convert your kitchen to sterile floor, use an animal bed instead of a chair in front of your cookstove. Your chef can still cook in comfort and in an emergency your kitchen can double as a hospital for cats

isndl
May 2, 2012
Yeah, overall it seems like early game there's various other things to be concentrating on and you have the low expectations mood bonus to lean on, mid game is put a statue in every room now that you have time to dedicate someone to making them, and late game is replace everything with silver+ anyways. Marble would be good for those midgame statues but not necessary as walls/flooring.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ms Adequate posted:

I've wanted something like this for years but from asking around, most modders seem to be of the opinion that timescales and stuff can't be changed. :(

Ask/beg/pay Pardeike.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Using RWOM, had a raid spawn, pretty big number of sappers with competent weaponry. My guys scramble into bad positions to defend, and I have a lowbie paladin eat an unlucky bullet and die instantly. My chronomancer waddles over, after awhile but still mid-battle, and casts Reverse Time on them: progressively rewinding time on the pawn, effectively resurrecting them, but also leaving them with the (berserker-break inducing) reversed-memory of dying, then being painfully downed, then back to 'just' injured, then back to okay, etc.

So, funny thing about this chronomancer, I leveled their reverse time ability to max because its really versatile and good for all kinds of stuff. So, it's really good at turning time back... really far. Back to right around the time I first recruited them, when they were massively addicted to go juice, smokeleaf, and wakeup, which they promptly go into withdrawal for all over again.

There's a lot of grim stuff in this game, but reliving your own death, then your long painful recovery from addiction to be put right back into it has got do be up there.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I tried RWOM for literally the first time today. Really liking it so far.

I am annoyed that nonviolent pawns can't use much magic.

You're a necromancer! You don't need to do violence, just raise those bodies from the dead! It's like reverse violence!

Also Paladins are incredible.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

RWOM is so unthematic for the game, but at the same time it kind of highlights how vanilla pawns definitely need a little more specialization and gimmicks than just traits. I've wound up using it a lot even if I tend to try and keep my mods in-theme.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Gotta admit the main reason I have RWOM installed is due to the summoner(for the helper minions) and arcanist(for the mass teleport and gateway)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I like a lot of RWOM but the healing capable professions really kind of annihilate the issue of dealing with wounds. A couple druids/paladins/clerics means your colonists are effectively immune to all injury that doesn't outright kill them.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I found the spellcasting in RWoM a little too micro-intensive for my taste, having to remember to recast buffs or summons got annoying. Never really liked the way the classes were differentiated either.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

For what it is worth, you have to keep in mind that the base unit of time in Rimworld is the "tick," which everything else including the game clock refers back to. There are obvious things that run on ticks (hunger rates, item crafting, etc) and less obvious (probability of a raid showing up is calculated and scheduled on ticks, and many calculations are performed on ticks). If you start messing with this unit, assuming that you easily can, you could easily break hundreds of other things.

Leaving aside whether someone can do it, modders really wouldn't want to do it--you can achieve the same effective solutions by telling the hunger calculation to increment every 20 ticks instead of 10 ticks. But this would be a massive undertaking as you'd have to modify hundreds of lines of XML and also patch quite a few methods in the C#. And then there is compatibility--everyone else's mods are also referencing ticks, but they aren't scaled like your mod is. They'd all need individual patches.

The effort/reward ratio to gently caress with the timescale is really bad in Rimworld.

Mzbundifund posted:

Pro(?) tip: Once you convert your kitchen to sterile floor, use an animal bed instead of a chair in front of your cookstove. Your chef can still cook in comfort and in an emergency your kitchen can double as a hospital for cats

Cat hospital... right...

isndl posted:

I found the spellcasting in RWoM a little too micro-intensive for my taste, having to remember to recast buffs or summons got annoying. Never really liked the way the classes were differentiated either.

I don't mind this when it is particularly rare. Two of my 50 pawns have Force Powers, so it isn't particularly onerous to remember to use their powers.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Mzbundifund posted:

The blood and dirt from turning your kitchen into an ersatz veterinary clinic doesn't seem like a good idea. If you're going to make a sterile environment pull double duty like that, might as well make it the research area. That way you just get a mood hit for your researcher rather than risk food poisoning.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

moot the hopple posted:

The blood and dirt from turning your kitchen into an ersatz veterinary clinic doesn't seem like a good idea. If you're going to make a sterile environment pull double duty like that, might as well make it the research area. That way you just get a mood hit for your researcher rather than risk food poisoning.

Bloody kitchen floors aren't a concern to me, since letting your hospital be bloody is a mistake to begin with, you should be force-sweeping the floor as soon as the wounds are tended to. And you don't research in the kitchen already? Besides, it was mostly a joke about using animal beds for the comfort boost, since it's funny to me that animal beds HAVE a comfort stat, even though animals don't have a comfort need bar.

Warmachine posted:

The effort/reward ratio to gently caress with the timescale is really bad in Rimworld.

I'm not interested in messing with tick rate or whatever, just day length. If days were longer, hunger and sleep needs increased proportionately slower, and crops grew proportionately slower, then that's all I'm interested in. It's the day length that I've not seen moddable, and increasing the other stuff without increasing day length is just going to cause weirdness like pawns sleeping for 4 minutes a day or crops not being able to finish growing before winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Asimo posted:

RWOM is so unthematic for the game, but at the same time it kind of highlights how vanilla pawns definitely need a little more specialization and gimmicks than just traits. I've wound up using it a lot even if I tend to try and keep my mods in-theme.

Nanomachines son, magic is alll nanomachines.

isndl posted:

You are aware that automatic casting is a thing for quite a few spells, including buffs?