Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yeah, I've use my snowboard gloves as well, though in the back of my mind, I'm constantly thinking how little they'd do in an off. :(

That's why I was using mine over my riding gloves :) The only real adjustment I had to make was putting a kung-fu grip on the throttle to be sure that it was doing exactly what I wanted it to. Seriously though, I'm not entirely sure how stupid/dangerous this idea is, probably very.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I switched to my snowboarding gloves last winter and it was a night and day difference. Gore-Tex, leather palm, insulated and waterproof, my fingers were toasty all commute. Granted I don't deal with the kind of winters that make sane people park their bikes until spring here, but 2-3 C with drizzle is a pretty miserable experience with single-ply perforated leather gloves at 75mph. (And to be honest, on those sorts of days I just take the underground to work now because I'm not a masochist)

RS Taichi makes really awesome cold weather gloves :D

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

redscare posted:

That's why I was using mine over my riding gloves :) The only real adjustment I had to make was putting a kung-fu grip on the throttle to be sure that it was doing exactly what I wanted it to. Seriously though, I'm not entirely sure how stupid/dangerous this idea is, probably very.
Hmm.. yeah, multiple gloves probably isn't good, but I'd wager my response time is roughly the same when my hands are either frozen or within two pairs of gloves. :)

I have some very thin thermal gloveliners, maybe I'll see how those feel/fit inside my heavier gloves.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
If you're a regular cold weather rider then it's worth springing for heated grips and a pair of hand protectors (you know, those bash guards in front of the levers more commonly found on dirt bikes) or some bar muffs if you have no sense of shame

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yeah, I've use my snowboard gloves as well, though in the back of my mind, I'm constantly thinking how little they'd do in an off. :(

Well they'd probably be a write off, but if they're good gloves I'd think they'd hold up well enough to protect your hands. If they're strong enough to survive a season of boarding without falling apart I'd count them as strong enough for single use in a crash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The cold weather hand solution: http://www.hippohands.com/

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

Well they'd probably be a write off, but if they're good gloves I'd think they'd hold up well enough to protect your hands. If they're strong enough to survive a season of boarding without falling apart I'd count them as strong enough for single use in a crash.

I wouldn't trust snowboarding gloves to keep me from beind degloved in a bike off. Snow is a lot less abrasive than pavement.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

redscare posted:

Snow is a lot less abrasive than pavement.
Then this means the safest time to ride a motorcycle should be in the middle of a snowstorm :colbert:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

-Inu- posted:

Then this means the safest time to ride a motorcycle should be in the middle of a snowstorm :colbert:

As far as falling goes, that sounds quite nice, actually. The inability of other drivers to stop effectively would scare the poo poo out of me, though.

I've actually used my motorcycle jacket for sledding before. I broke two sleds that day. Now that I have pants, too, I predict an awesome winter!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

-Inu- posted:

It's true! That and a down feather storm. You just float down into piles of fluff.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

The cold weather hand solution: http://www.hippohands.com/

I've got a set of these:
http://www.xtpowersports.com/Packs+&+Storage.1.1.376.2023.html?-session=thisSession:18D2C107191fd310DDLiIw3BD715
that kept my hands from freezing on my OH-LA trip in march.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Honda needs to lay off the engineering drugs, I can't believe what a puzzle box getting my rear brake off is :psyduck:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

UserNotFound posted:

As far as falling goes, that sounds quite nice, actually. The inability of other drivers to stop effectively would scare the poo poo out of me, though.

I've actually used my motorcycle jacket for sledding before. I broke two sleds that day. Now that I have pants, too, I predict an awesome winter!

Man, a waterproof full suit would keep all the snow out of bad places, and spine armor would really be nice with some of the idiotic poo poo my friends end up talking me into doing while sledding.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've been looking at sleds again, as my older daughter was showing some interest again. This time, if I get one, it won't be a 2 up machine-I want a nice light fast machine with a big motor and some paddles on the track.

The older Yamaha Mountain Max 700 sounds rather appealing. Something about the way a nice big reedy 2 smoke sounds sure makes a nice clean rip.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Hypnolobster posted:

Man, a waterproof full suit would keep all the snow out of bad places, and spine armor would really be nice with some of the idiotic poo poo my friends end up talking me into doing while sledding.

"Yeah man, lets totally stack up 4 pallets, and use our hands to cover it in snow in an attempt to turn it into a ramp!"

Thank god for back and elbow armor...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retarded Pimp posted:

I've got a set of these:
http://www.xtpowersports.com/Packs+&+Storage.1.1.376.2023.html?-session=thisSession:18D2C107191fd310DDLiIw3BD715
that kept my hands from freezing on my OH-LA trip in march.

Nice, much better price than the HippoHands

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

"Yeah man, lets totally stack up 4 pallets, and use our hands to cover it in snow in an attempt to turn it into a ramp!"

Thank god for back and elbow armor...

Please tell me there was alcohol involved

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

redscare posted:

Please tell me there was alcohol involved

Yes, this was after the bars closed, and after about 30 minutes of donuts in a football stadium parking lot.

vvv we didn't want to dig snow for hours to make a ramp, so we made a wood base and tried to cover it with snow... but yes, it was pretty stupid, and i'm glad i had an armored textile jacket with me :D

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 30, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

UserNotFound posted:

Yes, this was after the bars closed, and after about 30 minutes of donuts in a football stadium parking lot.

Ok, that's good, at least you have the "we were drunk" excuse for thinking that sledding into pallets would be a good idea

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:monocle:

holy poo poo, decided to call AllState today to find out if they could lower my bike rate on the 07 SV. Currently have Progressive for 494 per year, Allstate is going to be 300, identical coverage.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I have what may just be the best wife in the world. After agreeing with me that we needed to buy another bike, after spending hours with me riding around to various dealers to sit on bikes and listening to me ramble on about different models, accessories, and specifications, today after she gets off work she's driving 30 minutes to pick me up at home, then driving me an hour south to complete the purchase and pick up the bike, and then following me home.

All this, on her birthday. =)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Raven457 posted:

I have what may just be the best wife in the world. After agreeing with me that we needed to buy another bike, after spending hours with me riding around to various dealers to sit on bikes and listening to me ramble on about different models, accessories, and specifications, today after she gets off work she's driving 30 minutes to pick me up at home, then driving me an hour south to complete the purchase and pick up the bike, and then following me home.

All this, on her birthday. =)

You've got some serious g-spotting to do my friend.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, I got my high paying engineering job just now, and I graduate in December with my masters in Mech E. Since I'm going to make the same amount I do in a week that I've been making every 3 weeks, I think I'm going to get a new dirtbike to start my harescramble career, a slightly used Trials bike to replace the Scorpa I just sold, and put USD forks on my Sportster. Best part about being a Mech E grad student is funding. No student loans!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Ola posted:

You've got some serious g-spotting to do my friend.

Seriously, homeboy's gonna have to put on the miner's hat and go downtown for a while

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

redscare posted:

Seriously, homeboy's gonna have to put on the miner's hat and go downtown for a while

Don't make it sound like a chore or anything :colbert:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

teknicolor posted:

That all depends on a multitude of factors, sir maam

redscare fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 3, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

redscare posted:

That all depends on a multitude of factors, sir

That's no sir.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

teknicolor posted:

some people are proud to work 16 hours a day in a dark cave filled with combustible toxic particulates!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

That's no sir.

Details...

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

some people are proud to work 16 hours a day in a dark cave filled with combustible toxic particulates!

I don't know what mines you're a-ho-ing but mine doesn't have any toxic particulates I'll have you know!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

teknicolor posted:

I don't know what mines you're a-ho-ing but mine doesn't have any toxic particulates I'll have you know!
So you're saying there's particulates? :byodame:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Time for a canary.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Fantastipotamus posted:

So you're saying there's particulates? :byodame:

lol no particulates and NO FURRIES RETARDED PIMP YOU BIG GROSS

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

Time for a canary.

Somebody patent this poo poo quick.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Retarded Pimp posted:

Time for a canary.

I heard you like birds so I've put a bird in your bird? :confused:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Boat posted:

Somebody patent this poo poo quick.

Why does this drawing exist.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
It would appear to be a clever ruse.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

teknicolor posted:

It would appear to be a clever ruse.

I would go with cunning stunt, myself.

:xd:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Z3n posted:

I would go with cunning stunt, myself.

:xd:

loving well played <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
South Park, how you amuse me!!! "The F Word"....loving hilarious!