Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

MMMCCLI posted:

Sons of Straight Edge? Are you kidding me?

I don't know why but as soon as I see 'straight edge' anywhere, completely puts me off a band, way more than anything else.

that's a completely natural and justifiable reaction, but I highly advise you give them a try anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong

Austin Powers posted:

Hi guys it's my first time in this topic I just want to say Converge is the poo poo. Anytime I listen to No Heroes I want to break something :black101:

Such an awesome band, anyone know of any other metalcore like Converge that consists of mostly structureless songs and just pure chaos?

You'd probably like Gaia. Fans of Architect and Gaza would most definitely enjoy.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
"Romans" is another good band of that type as well

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

krustster posted:

only one of them is wearing a hat :geno:

hahaha, yeah but TAS never made a video of them walking through "the hood" like they were fuckin gangsters or anything

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

MMMCCLI posted:

Sons of Straight Edge? Are you kidding me?

I don't know why but as soon as I see 'straight edge' anywhere, completely puts me off a band, way more than anything else.

I know what you mean - I get if you don't want to drink and that's perfectly fine with me, but I don't understand having such excessively vocal opinions that you need to wear clothes stating it. At the same time, straight edge bands are often so amazingly ignorant that they cross over from being annoying and back to awesome, plus their songs always go hard.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm two days late, but The Acacia Strain's live shows are really inconsistent now because their guitarist, DL, only plays in the studio now, so they seem to have a different fill-in guitarist every tour, and most of them aren't very good. They tend to have slow hands and miss every sort of phrasing that made the guitar parts enjoyable, they just play the rhythm parts with no inflection and they tend to be a bit sloppy.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

Straight Edge Clothing

The first time I met a now very good friend of mine was at a party and he was wearing this shirt:

He's, roughly, 6'3" and close to 300lbs, so it was impossible to miss the "message". What makes it ok is that he was SHITFACED. I instantly knew we were going to get along. He has a couple more xEDGEx shirts, specifically for occasions like that.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
I looked up Liferuiner's Wikipedia page because I wanted to point out that they started as a joke band that was making fun of straight edge, but it looks like they might be taking it seriously now? I have no idea what's going on with that band, apparently there's actually two versions of them (a US-based one and a Canada-based one).

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

bleedbackwards posted:

I looked up Liferuiner's Wikipedia page because I wanted to point out that they started as a joke band that was making fun of straight edge, but it looks like they might be taking it seriously now? I have no idea what's going on with that band, apparently there's actually two versions of them (a US-based one and a Canada-based one).

Well the one actually releasing albums is the "real" one. I guess the other band members split with the vocalist and toured under the Liferuiner name and played the songs for a while. ON THAT NOTE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ExJ1DxMf0
That is one fat-faced man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-84v8LG7U
fu-fu-gently caress... YOU!

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

krustster posted:

Well the one actually releasing albums is the "real" one. I guess the other band members split with the vocalist and toured under the Liferuiner name and played the songs for a while. ON THAT NOTE...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ExJ1DxMf0
That is one fat-faced man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-84v8LG7U
fu-fu-gently caress... YOU!

The only logical reply to this is... this

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Not to forget this photo of them:

Roughly equivalent to all those fat vegan girls that eat cupcakes all the time because "hey, it's vegan!"

Speaking of fat lead singers, anyone dig these guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmrUAAZfquM

Maybe more punk, now that I listen to them again, but gently caress it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm two days late, but The Acacia Strain's live shows are really inconsistent now because their guitarist, DL, only plays in the studio now, so they seem to have a different fill-in guitarist every tour, and most of them aren't very good. They tend to have slow hands and miss every sort of phrasing that made the guitar parts enjoyable, they just play the rhythm parts with no inflection and they tend to be a bit sloppy.

DL or no DL, the Acacia Strain are terribly inconsistent live. I'd say of the ~8-10 times we've seen them live, 50% have sounded awesome and 50% sounded like sludgy poo poo. They are my favorite band, but their sound requires the right sound guy or things get ugly in a hurry and it becomes a wall of buzzing chug with clipping vocals. I'd say the best they sounded was The Chance in Poughkeepsie (Continent release show), and the worst was at Sounds of the Underground in 07. I still like them live because they have a ton of energy, but DL was like half of their charisma, and it does suck that he doesn't tour anymore.

Wamsutta fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 1, 2012

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

and the worst was at Sounds of the Underground in 07.

Lmao this was the first time I saw them too, in Detroit. I still enjoyed it but they sounded like a bunch of undifferentiated noise. the only song I could actually identify was "4x4" because of the brief solo in the middle. Then I saw them a couple years later with ALL SHALL PERISH and they sounded great. Ya boy DL was with them both times. All Shall Perish was even better though.

my favorite concert moment to date was a tie between Parkway Drive playing "Romance is Dead" and ASP playing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF7Yk2M596s

WAS IT ALL WORTH IT!

krustster fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 1, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Wamsutta posted:

DL or no DL, the Acacia Strain are terribly inconsistent live. I'd say of the ~8-10 times we've seen them live, 50% have sounded awesome and 50% sounded like sludgy poo poo. They are my favorite band, but their sound requires the right sound guy or things get ugly in a hurry and it becomes a wall of buzzing chug with clipping vocals. I'd say the best they sounded was The Chance in Poughkeepsie (Continent release show), and the worst was at Sounds of the Underground in 07. I still like them live because they have a ton of energy, but DL was like half of their charisma, and it does suck that he doesn't tour anymore.

Dude how dare you say that, your ignorance is so obvious and furthermore people like you are whats wrong with this thread and the genre and ahahah I'm sorry I can't keep it up.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who wasn't blow away by their live show.

Going to see Suicide Silence and Darkest Hour tonight. Shoogaslim please save me some time and formulate an opinion for me before I get back. Thanks in advance!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

rxcowboy posted:

Shoogaslim please save me some time and formulate an opinion for me before I get back. Thanks in advance!

This would make a good thread title :v:

Darkest Hour absolutely rips live, shame that their drummer left though :smith:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Strangely enough, my favorite concert moment was Bring Me the Horizon at a little tiny club (they played second to last, Every Time I die was headlining) on Long Island. This was just after they released Suicide Season, so they actually played for a long time (an hour and a half versus the now 45 minutes they tend to play), and it was all of their heavier stuff. This was the first time I had ever really heard anything from them though.

I poo poo you not, no more than 5 seconds into them playing, as I'm moving towards a pit a tiny little Asian girl was being carried out by security with a furiously bloody nose. 20 minutes later, I saw another kid get hit nose literally shattered.

Now they tour with poo poo bands so their crowds consist of scene kids and little girls. They aren't very fun anymore.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kingnothing posted:

Strangely enough, my favorite concert moment was Bring Me the Horizon at a little tiny club (they played second to last, Every Time I die was headlining) on Long Island. This was just after they released Suicide Season, so they actually played for a long time (an hour and a half versus the now 45 minutes they tend to play), and it was all of their heavier stuff. This was the first time I had ever really heard anything from them though.

I poo poo you not, no more than 5 seconds into them playing, as I'm moving towards a pit a tiny little Asian girl was being carried out by security with a furiously bloody nose. 20 minutes later, I saw another kid get hit nose literally shattered.

Now they tour with poo poo bands so their crowds consist of scene kids and little girls. They aren't very fun anymore.

Crazy Donkey?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

What's up with bands doing videos in the woods?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

heeebrew posted:

What's up with bands doing videos in the woods?

All of the empty warehouses in the area were unavailable for some reason :v:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Darkest Hour did indeed rip, and afterwards band members were hanging out by the merch autographing poo poo and just chilling, it was awesome.

Not a fan of Suicide Silence, but the crowd liked them.

The headliner was Machinehead, and I am a fan but I have no idea why they picked two bands to tour with them that sound nothing like them, at all. I wonder are they on the same label or something? Machinehead did put on a good show though.

Debating going to see Black Dahlia Murder in a few months, and a friend of my wants to go see We Came as Romans/Emmure/Bless the Fall so I might check them out too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Crazy Donkey?

Abso-loving-lutely. Too bad they closed down. Makes me sad. First the Downtown and now them. That was one hell of a show though. Practically the entire room was on stage at the end of ETID, hanging from the rafters and poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

rxcowboy posted:

Darkest Hour did indeed rip, and afterwards band members were hanging out by the merch autographing poo poo and just chilling, it was awesome.

omg did u get an autograph?! :keke:

Seriously though... you like Lamb of God, Darkest Hour and Machine Head but you don't like The Acacia Strain or Suicide Silence.. why are you even here?

quote:

Debating going to see Black Dahlia Murder in a few months, and a friend of my wants to go see We Came as Romans/Emmure/Bless the Fall so I might check them out too.

garbage tour

Wamsutta posted:

DL or no DL, the Acacia Strain are terribly inconsistent live.

I've seen them a billion times and their sound is consistently good, you don't know what you're talking about.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 2, 2012

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Also, what you fools know about the Crazy Donkey... don't tell me I live in close proximity to some of you nutsacks

:negative:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Also, what you fools know about the Crazy Donkey... don't tell me I live in close proximity to some of you nutsacks

:negative:

People don't like the same music as me! :qq:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

omg did u get an autograph?! :keke:

Seriously though... you like Lamb of God, Darkest Hour and Machine Head but you don't like The Acacia Strain or Suicide Silence.. why are you even here?

I don't care if I get probated or banned for this but I have to say it: You are a stuck up loving idiot who is apparently illiterate.

First, I never said I didn't like Acacia Strain. I do like them. I didn't like one show because they sounded like poo poo which is a personal opinion however it was backed by several other people who explained why. I know your grasp of the English language is less than firm, because you translated my one comment saying they sounded like poo poo live into me saying I disliked the band. Based on that I know it might be hard for you to read what other people wrote, but if you take the time and maybe get someone who isn't retarded to sound some of the bigger words out for you, you'll understand why. DL doesn't play live shows and sometimes their sound guy sucks, that's all there is to it. I feel like I keep saying this but apparently I have to since at no point did I say I disliked the strain.

Second, you are what's wrong not with this genre of music, but with all genres of music. You are the stuck up little fanboy who thinks that for some reason his oh so holy opinion vaults him head and shoulders above the rest of those around him, and god forbid anyone have a thought that differs from his. You pompous little stuck up oval office. I just started getting into metal a few years ago, and now my tastes are growing and expanding into hardcore. I'm so loving sorry the lack of refinement in my tastes is apparently so offensive to you that you would label my opinion as loving ignorant. You hypocrite, you get pissed off when other people don't "get" the music you listen to but when someone who is a novice at the genre is trying to feel out what he likes and doesn't like, you tell him to leave the thread because my opinion doesn't march lock step with yours. Pompous little shits like you turn off people to so many different genres, whether it be indie rock, jazz, hip hop, hell even country. There will always be one little dick with a napoleon complex shouting "We don't want this knave, he understands nothing of the *true* meaning of jazz!" rather than taking five minutes to go "You know what, the stuff you're listening to isn't exactly what I like, but why don't you check out band X? They've got some elements that you might like and they are a little close to my tastes. And if you like that, go check out band Y live" and so on.

But no, that might mean stepping down off the pedestal, which I accept would be difficult for you because apparently it's jammed up your loving rear end.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ok ok ok, I was kinda :lol:ing at the first half of your comment post (this isn't Facebook) because admittedly I like to rile people up because I'm an rear end in a top hat but the second half about you being relatively new to the genre hit a sore spot. I'm sorry for getting holier than thou on you. The Acacia Strain is my favorite band and I've seen them countless times and I just honestly never think they sound bad, don't listen to me or take offense when I stick up for them unjustly.

Definitely keep expanding your horizons and don't listen to jerks like me. I'm jaded towards everything.

I have friends in a band trying to make a name for themselves and they got put on to a sold out show at Irving Plaza last weekend and I was on their guest list. At first I was disgusted that they were playing with bands that drew ~15 year olds and a lot more chicks than I'm used to at shows and wondered why anyone would want to play to that audience. When they went on though and these kids were genuinely into them it actually kinda clicked that playing to kids who like your music is really all that matters and I should ease up on my elitist attitude. So there ya go.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 2, 2012

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok ok ok, I was kinda :lol:ing at the first half of your comment post (this isn't Facebook) because admittedly I like to rile people up because I'm an rear end in a top hat but the second half about you being relatively new to the genre hit a sore spot. I'm sorry for getting holier than thou on you. The Acacia Strain is my favorite band and I've seen them countless times and I just honestly never think they sound bad, don't listen to me or take offense when I stick up for them unjustly.

Definitely keep expanding your horizons and don't listen to jerks like me. I'm jaded towards everything.

I have friends in a band trying to make a name for themselves and they got put on to a sold out show at Irving Plaza last weekend and I was on their guest list. At first I was disgusted that they were playing with bands that drew ~15 year olds and a lot more chicks than I'm used to at shows and wondered why anyone would want to play to that audience. When they went on though and these kids were genuinely into them it actually kinda clicked that playing to kids who like your music is really all that matters and I should ease up on my elitist attitude. So there ya go.

Hahah part of the reason that I got pissed off was I used to have the exact same attitude towards "indie" rock, whatever the gently caress that means now when I was younger. If it got radio play, I never liked it, if the venue was too big, the band sound out, etc etc. If someone liked a band that was too big they had no taste. I got riled up because I saw a reflection of my past.

I think it is cool as poo poo when people get passionate about music though, for a long period of time I didn't really get to go to any shows due to my lifestyle, and I'm just happy to be able to expand my tastes and go to shows again. Hopefully your friends band does well, do they have anything online we could all hear?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Actually I should have done this earlier: I am new as hell to -core genre. Where should I basically start? I was going to ask for recommendations for the best, say five to ten albums, but then I realized the problem is that the pinnacle albums for each genre aren't always the most accessible.

So throw out some recommendations! What would some good "newbie" albums for metalcore be?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rxcowboy posted:

Actually I should have done this earlier: I am new as hell to -core genre. Where should I basically start? I was going to ask for recommendations for the best, say five to ten albums, but then I realized the problem is that the pinnacle albums for each genre aren't always the most accessible.

So throw out some recommendations! What would some good "newbie" albums for metalcore be?

Most people enter in through the "core' genre through bands like Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Trivium, As I Lay Dying etc and than filter down to harder stuff; at least that's been my experience anyway (although I still do love some Trivium and ATR).

Starting with albums from those bands will let you grow accustomed to some of the elements of the genre; than when you feel "bored" or "comfortable" you can move a level deeper.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Most people enter in through the "core' genre through bands like Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Trivium, As I Lay Dying etc and than filter down to harder stuff; at least that's been my experience anyway (although I still do love some Trivium and ATR).

Starting with albums from those bands will let you grow accustomed to some of the elements of the genre; than when you feel "bored" or "comfortable" you can move a level deeper.

Ok, I've actually been listening to an digging As I lay Dying, I'll check out all that remains next.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rxcowboy posted:

Ok, I've actually been listening to an digging As I lay Dying, I'll check out all that remains next.

Check out "The Fall Of Ideals" it's pretty much universally regarded as the best album they've put out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you like The Acacia Strain, I'd venture to say you'd like Parkway Drive. Personally, I like them more than TAS.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008

rxcowboy posted:

As I Lay Dying is a good starting place, so you're already on the right track. You'll probably enjoy All That Remains too; I'd recommend The Fall of Ideals and Overcome for All That Remains albums, though you might actually prefer one of their earlier albums, This Darkened Heart, if you're coming from a more traditional metal background.

Here's a few quick suggestions to get you acquainted with each of the subgenres (sub-subgenres?) of metalcore:

Melodic stuff:
Misery Signals
For the Fallen Dreams
Hopesfall

Toughguy/beatdown-type stuff:
Bury Your Dead
Emmure
Oblige

Deathcore:
Despised Icon
All Shall Perish
Molotov Solution
Misery Index (loosely deathcore, they're more death/grind, but they have a lot of crossover appeal and they're a hundred times more conceptually and lyrically advanced than most deathcore bands so whatever)

Technical:
Converge
Cave In
Botch
Shai Hulud

Old-school:
Unbroken
All Out War
Lash Out

bleedbackwards fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
How could you forget WhiteChapel under the deathcore tag? Them and Acacia Strain are pretty much the top two big dogs in deathcore right now.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
Well he's already heard of The Acacia Strain, and Whitechapel is alright but personally I don't listen to them much aside from one or two songs on each album. I think the three bands I listed are all better than Whitechapel, but they did play a pretty strong part in starting the whole deathcore movement, so here's a Whitechapel song.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

lmao you guys please stop fighting :byodood:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The best metalcore is botch so just go listen to that on repeat.
Also everytime I die and between the buried and me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

See statements like this are what get under my skin. I was into hardcore before any of those bands were even bands. I got into hardcore by going to my friends band in high school playing to 10 kids and then hardcore/metalcore got big with Hatebreed and everything started sucking haha.

e: The most I can ask of anyone getting into heavy -core bands is to find stuff you like and then go back to their first recordings and find out where they came from and stuff. If you like Underoath but you don't know what Act of Depression or Cries from the Past is then you're doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, like I said TAS is my favorite band but I completely disregard ...and Life is Very Long entirely, but I am aware of its existence.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 3, 2012

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

that was the first Acacia Strain album I ever heard... I still remember seeing it on the front page of theendrecords.com screaming about how they had 3 guitarists :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

See statements like this are what get under my skin. I was into hardcore before any of those bands were even bands. I got into hardcore by going to my friends band in high school playing to 10 kids and then hardcore/metalcore got big with Hatebreed and everything started sucking haha.

e: The most I can ask of anyone getting into heavy -core bands is to find stuff you like and then go back to their first recordings and find out where they came from and stuff. If you like Underoath but you don't know what Act of Depression or Cries from the Past is then you're doing it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, like I said TAS is my favorite band but I completely disregard ...and Life is Very Long entirely, but I am aware of its existence.

Quite honestly: you are the exception. The majority of -core fans these days got into core BECAUSE of bands like the ones I posted.

You are a dying breed.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 3, 2012