Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007
Okay, here's a thing:

Would you rather live in Kreuzberg or in Neukolln? I don't want to live a super-posh place, but at the same time, I don't want to live in absolute scheisse either. I like the idea of some counter-culture scene going on-- and underground concerts and stuff is a plus.

Thanks

EDIT: I guess I mean, what's the most interesting culturally. And perhaps most diverse.

APimpNamedSlickback fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Nord-Neukölln > Kreuzberg 36 > Friedrichshain > Kreuzberg 61

Disclaimer: I live in Nord-Neukölln so I might be biased.

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007

schoenfelder posted:

Nord-Neukölln > Kreuzberg 36 > Friedrichshain > Kreuzberg 61

Disclaimer: I live in Nord-Neukölln so I might be biased.

What's Nord-Neukolln? And why is it at the top of your list?

Also, why is 36 more interesting than 61? And is gneisenaustrabe a cool area? By the station, that is. Is it in 61?

Danke

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Nord-Neukölln is the part of Neukölln inside the S-Bahn-Ring (roughly between Tempelhof Airport in the West, Hermannplatz in the North, Landwehrkanal/Neuköllner Schifffahrtskanal in the East and the S-Bahn stops Hermannstraße, Neukölln and Sonnenallee in the South.) Neukölln goes a lot further south with the Buckow, Rudow, Britz and Gropiusstadt neighbourhoods but there is nothing there.

I place Nord-Neukölln at the top of the list because:

a) it has some nice, hip, counter-culture places (specifically around Weserstraße, Boddinstraße and Schillerpromenade; not many clubs, though);
b) it's not over-run by tourists, yet, i.e. it's fairly relaxed and quiet;
c) it's very Arab influenced which makes for a really laid-back vibe, many small cheap shops and great food options;
d) it's well connected by public transport to anything of interest (U8 is especially handy if you like going out); and
e) it's generally just significantly cheaper to live in than the other three neighbourhoods I mentioned.

36 (the Eastern part of Kreuzberg, roughly from U Kottbusser Tor to U Schlesisches Tor) is way edgier than 61 (the Western part). I find 61 to be a bit too "bourgeois" (for lack of a better term) for my tastes whereas 36 is just way more interesting and has a better nightlife.

Personally I wouldn't want to live near U Gneisenaustraße (yes, it's 61). Some friends of mine live there and apart from the area around Bergmannstraße there are not too many options for nightlife and I don't find Bergmannstraße very interesting (too posh and the food options are basically 12 Indian restaurants). If you end up there, well, it's not far from 36, Neukölln and Friedrichshain.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

schoenfelder posted:

Nord-Neukölln is the part of Neukölln inside the S-Bahn-Ring (roughly between Tempelhof Airport in the West, Hermannplatz in the North, Landwehrkanal/Neuköllner Schifffahrtskanal in the East and the S-Bahn stops Hermannstraße, Neukölln and Sonnenallee in the South.) Neukölln goes a lot further south with the Buckow, Rudow, Britz and Gropiusstadt neighbourhoods but there is nothing there.

I place Nord-Neukölln at the top of the list because:

a) it has some nice, hip, counter-culture places (specifically around Weserstraße, Boddinstraße and Schillerpromenade; not many clubs, though);
b) it's not over-run by tourists, yet, i.e. it's fairly relaxed and quiet;
c) it's very Arab influenced which makes for a really laid-back vibe, many small cheap shops and great food options;
d) it's well connected by public transport to anything of interest (U8 is especially handy if you like going out); and
e) it's generally just significantly cheaper to live in than the other three neighbourhoods I mentioned.

36 (the Eastern part of Kreuzberg, roughly from U Kottbusser Tor to U Schlesisches Tor) is way edgier than 61 (the Western part). I find 61 to be a bit too "bourgeois" (for lack of a better term) for my tastes whereas 36 is just way more interesting and has a better nightlife.

Personally I wouldn't want to live near U Gneisenaustraße (yes, it's 61). Some friends of mine live there and apart from the area around Bergmannstraße there are not too many options for nightlife and I don't find Bergmannstraße very interesting (too posh and the food options are basically 12 Indian restaurants). If you end up there, well, it's not far from 36, Neukölln and Friedrichshain.

Best place in the whole city is on the Landwehrkanal, especially right be prinzenstr. because then you have the prinzenbad, a nice place to run and a quick walk to the U1 and u8

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007
I'm going to be going there in January. Does this make any difference? All of a sudden, what seems to be easy walking distance becomes... 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Is it hard walking in the cold? I mean, I have no problem walking 25, 30 minutes in Northern California. It never gets that cold though.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Gneisenaustr is alright, but 61 really isn't too interesting.
People have been trying very hard to make Neukölln happen for what seems like ten years now, but there is such a thing as trying too hard and while I like Neukölln, I find it all a bit predictable and pretentious (and I live in Friedrichshain, so that's saying something).
For me it's Kreuzberg 36 > Friedrichshain > Nord-Neukölln > Kreuzberg 61. What these places all have in common is that there are far too many tourists there, especially in Friedrichshain and 61. If I were to move, I'd probably move to 36 or maybe Mitte.

Berlin is a big city (both in terms of population and area), so I think the best strategy is to find a place where everything you need is right there (which might be 36 for you), given the horrible weather during winter and the surprisingly lovely public transportation living near the place where you really want to be doesn't really cut it.

Edit:

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

I'm going to be going there in January. Does this make any difference? All of a sudden, what seems to be easy walking distance becomes... 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Is it hard walking in the cold? I mean, I have no problem walking 25, 30 minutes in Northern California. It never gets that cold though.
It does make a difference. It's not just the temperature but also the wind and the rain. Out of all the places I've lived, Berlin has the worst winters by far.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 6, 2012

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Previously on GBS posted:

For me it's Kreuzberg 36 > Friedrichshain > Nord-Neukölln > Kreuzberg 61. What these places all have in common is that there are far too many tourists there, especially in Friedrichshain and 61. If I were to move, I'd probably move to 36 or maybe Mitte.
From what I see most of the tourists are in Friedrichshain and 36 while you won't find that many in Neukölln especially if you get a bit away from Weserstraße. True, the bars there are a bit over-run by hipsters but there are definitely some nice spots. 36 is my favourite spot for going out, though. I definitely wouldn't want to live in Mitte, especially not around Rosenthaler Platz/Torstraße etc. That area is pretentious as gently caress.

quote:

Berlin is a big city (both in terms of population and area), so I think the best strategy is to find a place where everything you need is right there (which might be 36 for you), given the horrible weather during winter and the surprisingly lovely public transportation living near the place where you really want to be doesn't really cut it.
Seconded. Make sure to live somewhere convenient for where you have to be every day. If you're going to be at the Free University out in Dahlem, well, your options are drastically reduced unless you fancy spending lots of time on the train.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

On the gym thing, I was a member of superfit and used the one at alexanderplatz. It's the best gym I have ever used, really big, lots of equipment, and the staff were cool and helpful.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
So I need to find an apartment in Berlin, for 4-8 months, where should I look and how much will it cost me (warm)? I'm going to be working at 1 Platz der Republik, so how can I have easy access to there/still be near the "cool" areas?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
Are you looking for an apartment or a room in a shared apartment? How big? How much are you willing to spend and what comforts could you sacrifice?

For rooms in shared apartments you can have a look at prices at wg-gesucht.de, for apartments it's immobilienscout24.de.

For easy access to Bundestag I would check the areas with decent access to Alexanderplatz/Hauptbahnhof, e.g. Friedrichshain near Karl-Marx-Allee/Frankfurter Allee (U5 goes through there) or Kreuzberg 36 near the U8.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
I just signed a lease on a new place near Stuttgart about 2 hours ago. I set up immobilienscout24 to send me an e-mail whenever new offers came up that fell within my criteria. That also gave me a chance to get a good comparison in terms of size, amenities, etc. for my money.

It's always a roll of the dice as a renter, but it's been a really great experience so far.

By the way, my boss said that it would be great if you could have a Probewohnzeit for a week or two before signing a contract. I think that would be just brilliant if it really were that way...

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I have never in my life heard of Probewohnzeit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

niethan posted:

Rauchbier is kinda cool for cooking, like that classic beer chicken recipe can be done with rauchbier and that tastes quite nice.

I love reducing (or rather, cooking in) a somewhat mild Rauchbier from my town when stirring up a batch of bbq marinade when I'm not going with a vinegar base. I've never tried just using a dash or so when cooking regularly because opening an entire bottle for "just a dash" seems like a waste and I'm not the kind of guy that enjoys drinking bockbier on the side.

Spezial Rauchbier, 2nd from the left

Troubadour posted:

By the way, my boss said that it would be great if you could have a Probewohnzeit for a week or two before signing a contract. I think that would be just brilliant if it really were that way...

As in "I'll decide whether I like this place and stay after 2 weeks"?

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Yeah wouldn't that be cool? Just to emphasize, obviously it isn't/won't be a thing. But think about having the ability to see if your neighbors are assholes, if the heater makes a weird noise and all those other fun little surprises you get to find out after you sign the contract.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

schoenfelder posted:

Are you looking for an apartment or a room in a shared apartment? How big? How much are you willing to spend and what comforts could you sacrifice?

For rooms in shared apartments you can have a look at prices at wg-gesucht.de, for apartments it's immobilienscout24.de.

For easy access to Bundestag I would check the areas with decent access to Alexanderplatz/Hauptbahnhof, e.g. Friedrichshain near Karl-Marx-Allee/Frankfurter Allee (U5 goes through there) or Kreuzberg 36 near the U8.

I'm looking for around 250-350 warm, and considering I live in a Studentwerk Muenchen WG anything will probably be an improvement. Think I'll have any luck whatsoever getting in the 36 area of kreuzberg or is that just wishful thinking?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Landsknecht posted:

I'm looking for around 250-350 warm, and considering I live in a Studentwerk Muenchen WG anything will probably be an improvement. Think I'll have any luck whatsoever getting in the 36 area of kreuzberg or is that just wishful thinking?
A room in a shared apartment should be doable for 350 EUR in 36. Not gonna lie to you, though, finding something will probably be a bitch. Also, since you're going to stay only for a couple of months keep in mind that many people renting out their rooms for Zwischenmiete will try to pocket a nice profit (you will see ads asking 500 EUR for 12 qm rooms).

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

schoenfelder posted:

A room in a shared apartment should be doable for 350 EUR in 36. Not gonna lie to you, though, finding something will probably be a bitch. Also, since you're going to stay only for a couple of months keep in mind that many people renting out their rooms for Zwischenmiete will try to pocket a nice profit (you will see ads asking 500 EUR for 12 qm rooms).

Yeah, gently caress people. Do you have any Kiez suggestions for me? I want something decent, but not crazy expensive, which I know is hard as poo poo to do.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Landsknecht posted:

Yeah, gently caress people. Do you have any Kiez suggestions for me? I want something decent, but not crazy expensive, which I know is hard as poo poo to do.
My feeling is that everything east of Skalitzer Straße and up to two or three streets parallel to Oranienstraße is a bit more expensive. Granted that doesn't leave a whole lot in 36. 36 is not a big area, though, so wherever you are it's basically not far from anything.

You might also want to look at the area around U Heinrich-Heine-Straße. Technically that's Mitte but you can easily walk to the nightlife spots in 36 and that area should be a bit cheaper (not many Altbau buildings there).

Outside of the immediate Kreuzberg area:

Friedrichshain near S Warschauer Straße would give you a great connection to Bundestag and the nightlife in F'Hain and 36 but apartments there are definitely more expensive.

You might also want to look at the area just north of Ostbahnhof. Great connection to Hauptbahnhof, one stop from Warschauer Straße, and Berghain and Magdalena in walking distance. It's all DDR-Plattenbauten, though.

Another idea would be Wedding around U Voltastraße and Gesundbrunnen. A bit rougher and less counter-culture but U8 will take you to Kottbusser Tor in less than 15 minutes and two of my favourite clubs are in Wedding. Definitely cheaper than 36 and F'Hain.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Out of curiosity: which clubs are those? I'm guessing Stattbad and the one with the elevator.

There's definitely some free flats around Voltastrasse and Gesundbrunnen, ZIP code 13357 while searching should give you plenty of results, but 300 euro apartments are pretty scarce.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Zwille posted:

Out of curiosity: which clubs are those? I'm guessing Stattbad and the one with the elevator.
Bingo. Stattbad and Brunnen70.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
Here's a question: I currently owe techniker krankenkasse 160 euro for some old health insurance bill that they threw at me after I cancelled my coverage. As the address they have for me is in Canada and they have no other billing details (my old Girokonto is closed), what's the worst that happens if I don't pay?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

They hunt you down and kill you.

Depends, are you still in Germany?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I think he plans on going back so that might be an issue.

If he isn't in Germany anymore, I mean.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Zwille posted:

I think he plans on going back so that might be an issue.

If he isn't in Germany anymore, I mean.

Yeah I'm not currently in Germany. I guess I should deal with it since I want to go back?

e: I'm back at the beginning of the year

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

They might pile a ton of Mahngebühren/late fees on you and I don't know if they will find you upon your return... though you probably want to sign up with them again, don't you? Then they'd have your name. But otherwise I don't know what recourse they have. They could sell your open bills off to some collection agency, no clue.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Landsknecht posted:

Here's a question: I currently owe techniker krankenkasse 160 euro for some old health insurance bill that they threw at me after I cancelled my coverage. As the address they have for me is in Canada and they have no other billing details (my old Girokonto is closed), what's the worst that happens if I don't pay?

Look at it this way: If you don't pay that bill, then the rest of us (or at least I) will :argh:

Then again, it's reported that the German health insurances are basically swimming in cash and are not really giving those profits back to the people. :colbert:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Without getting into technicalities. If you return to germany and live/work here they can garnish your wages/bank account. Theoretically they can try that abroad as well depending on what country you live in. That's a huge bureaucratic mess though, so they probably won't even try it.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

elwood posted:

Without getting into technicalities. If you return to germany and live/work here they can garnish your wages/bank account. Theoretically they can try that abroad as well depending on what country you live in. That's a huge bureaucratic mess though, so they probably won't even try it.

yeah, I'm just really wondering if the headache may be worth the 150 euros, I mean it's from TK, so I could try and get insurance from AOK or someone when I need it next. I'm also getting a visa from Canada and I'll register my Wohnsitz in Spandau (fastest lines in berlin), so I wonder if they could catch me. That being said the german legal systems does suck to navigate, especially as a foreigner.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

No clue. They may or they may not get you, and the fees may or may not be exorbitant. If you got the money to spare, just pay.

If you register in Spandau, wouldn't you need a Spandau residence as well? Now that would suck if you want to live/work in Berlin proper.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Zwille posted:

No clue. They may or they may not get you, and the fees may or may not be exorbitant. If you got the money to spare, just pay.

If you register in Spandau, wouldn't you need a Spandau residence as well? Now that would suck if you want to live/work in Berlin proper.

Someone told me that all of the 12 areas all count as Landkreis Berlin, so you if you live centrally you can go to a less populated one to get fastracked for stuff. Confirm/deny?

Also looking for a place to live is proving somewhat difficult, uggghh I hate this.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
You can register a residence in Berlin in any of the Meldeämter there, but I don't see why that would make a difference.

Just pay what you loving owe.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oh I see, I thought you had to go to your local Meldeamt. I don't see how going to Spandau is going to save you any time, though, it's a pretty long ride from anywhere that's not Spandau, i.e. Berlin :v:

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Landsknecht posted:

Someone told me that all of the 12 areas all count as Landkreis Berlin, so you if you live centrally you can go to a less populated one to get fastracked for stuff. Confirm/deny?
You can schedule an appointment online at any of the Bürgerämter so there's no need to queue. Beware that slots seem to be booked out something like 5-10 business days in advance.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Landsknecht posted:

Yeah I'm not currently in Germany. I guess I should deal with it since I want to go back?

e: I'm back at the beginning of the year

The question is not whether or not they'll find you. They'll find you.
The question is whether they deem the debt uncollectable because of an indication that you're no longer in country or hand it off to a debt collection agency.

And those aren't good odds to balance a fuckton of fees on when all you had to pay was 150 bucks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's now been one year since I moved to Germany and it's been great so far. I still dread the Bürgerämt though.

For the holidays I'll be flying back home to see some family, any ideas for gifts (that could also be mailed) that I could bring back? Christstollen is one thing, but I'd like to add some variety.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
You can get whole truckloads of beautiful overpriced handcrafted trinkets from the Weihnachtsmarkt. Soap, candles, calligraphy sets, whatever.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Also, don't forget Baumkuchen!

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
Chocolate. Always chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
How comprehensive should my Haftpflichtversicherung be? Am I fine with a 60 euro one or do I want something more serious?