Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Wickerman posted:

So Monday I have an interview with GE for an internship. I'm writing my resume right now, since they want it via email asap. Would anybody like to read it and give me an opinion? Obviously I've got a very short timeframe but I'm going to do my best.

Thoughts, help, etc?

What's the discipline and what previous experience do you have? A big mistake I've seen in my peers/used to make myself is listing the course they're doing under education with the basic details and not talking about it much after that, with crappy part time jobs or whatever filling the rest. Write about big academic projects or series of assignments you've carried out that are relevant to the position and put detail into that. Pick things that you're happy to talk about on the day and think about what positive features about your role in the work you want to highlight to the interviewers, because it's very likely they'll ask you questions about what's on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Daviclond posted:

What's the discipline and what previous experience do you have? A big mistake I've seen in my peers/used to make myself is listing the course they're doing under education with the basic details and not talking about it much after that, with crappy part time jobs or whatever filling the rest. Write about big academic projects or series of assignments you've carried out that are relevant to the position and put detail into that. Pick things that you're happy to talk about on the day and think about what positive features about your role in the work you want to highlight to the interviewers, because it's very likely they'll ask you questions about what's on there.

It's a mechanical engineering internship and all I really have is industrial machining experience. I haven't done any big projects in class yet. I have, however, done quite a lot of pseudo-engineering work at my summertime industrial machining job. Specifically, I've helped to troublehshoot and re-calibrate machines so that event parts could be ran for the very first time. Elaborate, multi-day calibration/changing-over of said machines. I've also gotten to talk (roughly) with overseas engineers from Toyo and Tanaka industries. I've worked alongside engineers in my industrial plant and from Tanaka.

So while I don't have academic projects, I have some real-world experience. I also have a letter of recommendation from my shift supervisor and the plant's production manager which I am hoping will help bring me into competitive territory.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Floor experience on the tools is invaluable for engineers. I can't count the number of times I've seen some junior (myself included) make retarded design decisions that make manufacturing and/or assembly either very much more difficult or impossible outright.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Wickerman posted:

It's a mechanical engineering internship and all I really have is industrial machining experience. I haven't done any big projects in class yet. I have, however, done quite a lot of pseudo-engineering work at my summertime industrial machining job. Specifically, I've helped to troublehshoot and re-calibrate machines so that event parts could be ran for the very first time. Elaborate, multi-day calibration/changing-over of said machines. I've also gotten to talk (roughly) with overseas engineers from Toyo and Tanaka industries. I've worked alongside engineers in my industrial plant and from Tanaka.

So while I don't have academic projects, I have some real-world experience. I also have a letter of recommendation from my shift supervisor and the plant's production manager which I am hoping will help bring me into competitive territory.

Machining is extremely important in industry. Play up that angle. Play up the fact that with your machining knowledge you can do better designs for lower manufacturing cost and so on.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
Any recently graduated or senior EE's or CompE's like to share their resumes with me/us? I'm going into my junior year and need to really sharpen it up so I can land a good internship for next summer. You can e-mail it to aluminumrecord at gmail with your personal info redacted if you don't want to share publicly. It would be really very much appreciated so I can get an idea of what the resumes of some other EE's not too far ahead of me look like!

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 11, 2013

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Just got hired as a QA Test Engineer at a well known place. It's not exactly what I want to do but QA seems to carry some hefty demand in my area and I figure I'm just happy to get my foot in the door somewhere and get more than high-school grad money! Anyone here do QA and how do they like it?

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything

Crazyweasel posted:

Just got hired as a QA Test Engineer at a well known place. It's not exactly what I want to do but QA seems to carry some hefty demand in my area and I figure I'm just happy to get my foot in the door somewhere and get more than high-school grad money! Anyone here do QA and how do they like it?

Software QA or manufacture QA? I did software QA for a few years. I wouldn't want to do it long term, I didn't get as much fulfillment since I don't have much for programming skills. Most of my time was spent looking for bugs and saying 'this doesn't work', without really understanding the reason why. If I did it long term I could have probably gotten into the user interface design aspect I guess, that would have been better.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wickerman posted:

all I really have is industrial machining experience. I haven't done any big projects in class yet. I have, however, done quite a lot of pseudo-engineering work at my summertime industrial machining job.

Awesome! You have:
- real-world experience
- real-world project experience

Every internship/co-op I ever applied for, I always shared some of my personal projects with the technical interviewers, and they loved it. Engineers (usually) love to talk about--you guessed it, engineering and sharing some fun projects you've done can be cool.

So if you've done some personal machining projects (like, "hey I needed a new widget for my turbo-encabulator so I CAD'd it up in real quick and CNC'd that bitch"), you've just increased your competence level in their eyes and proved you've got a solid base to start learning at the company.

e: I think machining is really cool and wished I didn't suck so hard at using a lathe. I need a good machinist buddy to sponge knowledge from :(

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 11, 2013

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is pretty specific, but is anyone here currently working in solar thermal power?

I'm nearing the end of a masters in ME and my focus is heat transfer and fluid modeling in concentrating solar thermal receivers. I really like the field and will hopefully pursue a career in it, but it's still a very new and relatively small industry. From what I can tell, the companies that are working on CSP currently aren't really hiring entry level engineers; they all want ME's with 5-10 years of power plant experience.

I am obviously networking via my professor and relevant conferences, but I'd like to hear impressions from any goons involved, if they exist.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

timtastic posted:

Software QA or manufacture QA? I did software QA for a few years. I wouldn't want to do it long term, I didn't get as much fulfillment since I don't have much for programming skills. Most of my time was spent looking for bugs and saying 'this doesn't work', without really understanding the reason why. If I did it long term I could have probably gotten into the user interface design aspect I guess, that would have been better.

Manufacturing QA, so I figure it's a lot more hands on...A bit worried of being the one to think up ways to try and test the product but they always hire college grads for this, so it can't be too terrible.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I work at the Horne Smelter this summer as a touristic guide.

I'm currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in physics and don't quite know what to do with that. What I saw at the factory blew my mind away, I had no idea such a world existed, and I kind of want to become an engineer, more specifically a metallurgical engineer.

At my school, I can enroll in the Masters in Metallurgical engineering with a degree in science. Is it a good idea? Would I be better off with 2 bachelor's degrees? any input is welcome

Krapht
Sep 2, 2007
cheddar connoisseur
Many physics majors do an engineering master's. I would highly recommend doing the master's instead of a double bachelor, if they would take the same amount of time.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Krapht posted:

Many physics majors do an engineering master's. I would highly recommend doing the master's instead of a double bachelor, if they would take the same amount of time.

Thanks, I figured so but it's good to have confirmation.
Any metallurgical engineers in here to attest of the pros/cons of the job? What do you actually do in such a field?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wickerman posted:

Tomorrow's the day of judgement so we'll see. :ohdear:

And I've been thinking about setting up a small machine shop in my future garage. However, like you I also want to go to medical school (yay engineer M.D.s) so it might take awhile.

If you have any questions, hit me up via PM and I'll see if I can help you out.

Oh poo poo, I completely missed your username, hah. Let us know how the interview goes!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Half celebration half stupid question ahead. I'm an intern working for Siemens in a group focused on building rolling mills. During one of the meetings discussing design of some of the machines, I came up with a new more efficient design for one of the machines. The few people I've told the idea to so far think it's pretty good. The idea is going to get set forth before the CEO in September and then may get presented to the international HQ. How would such a thing rank on a resume in terms of impressing future employers?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

huhu posted:

Half celebration half stupid question ahead. I'm an intern working for Siemens in a group focused on building rolling mills. During one of the meetings discussing design of some of the machines, I came up with a new more efficient design for one of the machines. The few people I've told the idea to so far think it's pretty good. The idea is going to get set forth before the CEO in September and then may get presented to the international HQ. How would such a thing rank on a resume in terms of impressing future employers?
Would be a very good anecdote to share at job interviews, especially if it gets approved, and you can tie it into quantitative improvements in production or reliability and show how much money you saved/made the company. If they deny it at HQ, though, eh...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

huhu posted:

Good addition to the blurb describing your internship on your resume, good anecdote for future interviews, and good material for a reference if applicable.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I start a new job on Monday, I have a promotion to Senior Instrument Engineer. Which is pretty drat scary, I don't think I'm senior!!

The project I am working on is a brand new topside for an oil rig. 8 new gas compressors, 3 new separators and 3 new MOL pumps. Complete with it's own control room, and tie ins to the existing platform. Also with tie ins to the sub-sea production wells.

I'm scared, but really excited about getting to do Greenfield work, rather than having to do Brownfield engineering.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
So I'm going off to school later this week, and I was wondering, how many colleges nowadays combine Electrical and Computer Engineering into a single major? I can understand why, since they're so tightly related, but it pretty much sets me up for not taking too many programming classes until my last few semesters, especially if I take AP credit for Java. I just find it odd that instead of differentiating between the two, I just choose a vector, though I'm sure it won't be a problem when I'm actually looking for a job. Just wanted to know if my school has the unpopular take.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2023

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Thoguh posted:

They are often in the same department, but not often the same major.

At my school, EE is a specialization of CE. So they're similar yet different.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Several schools played around with this around the turn of the century due to some ABET stuff... schools had ECE (or CEEE as I would affectionately call it) but I thought a lot of that phased out.

They really are just different levels of abstraction in some cases with an little bit more emphasis on digital design more than analog. But obviously there's a lot of overlap.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

About half of EE (circuit design, filters, signal processing etc.) has substantial overlap with CE, and about another half (solid state, device physics, process engineering, etc.) has almost no overlap with CE, and if anything tends to overlap a lot with the materials science dept., if there is one.

Schools that place a lot of emphasis on the materials and processing side of things (e.g. have some shiny new cleanrooms and VLSI processing equipment) will often differentiate more between EE and CE. Schools that don't will often combine them, although this is a really rough rule of thumb. Some places just take that stuff and throw it in with the ChemE department and leave EE as mostly electronics design. Even when EE and CE are separate majors, they are often in an "Electrical and Computer Engineering" department.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Anyone have any experience going from America to work in France or UK?

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Gonna be a juinor studying ME. I finished up my 12-week internship at a General Motors assembly plant. It was really awesome to see the whole process of going from sheet metal -> car frame -> fully painted -> fully assembled and driven off, and it's really mindblowing to really study all of the machines and robots and the crazy amount of planning, thinking, and coordination that goes into making such a massive operation all run smoothly.

Anyway, at my end-of-term performance review, my supervisor said I was as sharp and technically competent as any intern he's had before, but I wasn't as communicative as I should have been, and it doesn't seem like I'm the kind of guy who dreams of working for GM -- the kind of guy who is sure to join them right out of college and stay there until I retire (he's right). He recommended I try out a different internship next summer and get as much different experience as possible, and I agree with him. When I do apply for another internship next summer, would he be good for a recommendation?

Here's the thing I'm more worried about: how good are my chances of getting another good internship next summer? I had a 3.54 GPA when I got this one (back in November), but now I've got something like a 3.2 :saddowns: I'm also already about half-way through my junior-level ME courses (had a poo poo ton of AP credits), and I'm seeking a minor in CS (finished 4 of 15 credits needed for it). If it makes a difference, I go to the University of Michigan.

How confident should I be at the next career fair? Should I try to apply for the big-name companies, or think smaller because of my lower GPA?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Aluminum Record posted:

Any recently graduated or senior EE's or CompE's like to share their resumes with me/us? I'm going into my junior year and need to really sharpen it up so I can land a good internship for next summer. You can e-mail it to aluminumrecord at gmail with your personal info redacted if you don't want to share publicly. It would be really very much appreciated so I can get an idea of what the resumes of some other EE's not too far ahead of me look like!

Sure. Also if anyone wants to critique this I would be much applied. For context I'm an EE graduating in December and planning on getting my Masters if I don't get an awesome job,I sent this out to a few places as a long shot though.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3zWDKqMXjeXNzE0M2JlOWYtZTkyYS00OTg0LWFjNGUtNTBmYmE3YzQzZDcx&hl=en_US

Let me know if that link doesn't work.

e: change link

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 16, 2011

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

BSchlang posted:

When I do apply for another internship next summer, would he be good for a recommendation?
I do not see why he would intentionally try to sabotage your career when it sounds like you were a good intern.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Today I got an offer for a $10/hr job with no benefits and limited hours. Yay college, my engineering degree is getting me 30% less than I was earning in 10th grade.

Maybe I should go to law school?

hahahahahaha no.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Not inviting someone back isn't sabatoging their career, he doesn't have to tell other companies he didn't get invited back, he can just say that he wants another experience, and having a summer with GM on the resume will still be a nice boost for next year.
I was under the impression he was asking if it was a good idea to use said guy as a reference on his resume. To which my reaction was if the dude really has anything bad to say after that experience, it pretty much would be sabotaging his career.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

Today I got an offer for a $10/hr job with no benefits and limited hours. Yay college, my engineering degree is getting me 30% less than I was earning in 10th grade.

Maybe I should go to law school?

hahahahahaha no.

What type of engineering?

I got paid $12/hr at an engineering internship when I was in calc II.

...and I left after a year.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
CompE working on a Master's. Not even sure what they wanted me to do, exactly, but everything in this town is funded by the military and everything seems to be in flux right now. Not terribly interested in $10 an hour though, would be better off delivering pizzas or donating sperm or something.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 17, 2011

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Sure. Also if anyone wants to critique this I would be much applied. For context I'm an EE graduating in December and planning on getting my Masters if I don't get an awesome job,I sent this out to a few places as a long shot though.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3zWDKqMXjeXNzE0M2JlOWYtZTkyYS00OTg0LWFjNGUtNTBmYmE3YzQzZDcx&hl=en_US

I find myself looking at this one and saying "So what?" after each bullet. Your resume's job is to generate interest from a glance, and in a more detailed interview to generate topics of conversation for projects.

You have a lot of experience with internships and 2 co-ops, so you should easily be able to set yourself apart and be able to tell me something about the results you got, not just what you were doing. Simply fleshing out some of the things you wrote would be sufficient. "Created vehicle body defect tracking database using Microsoft Access and Visual Basic for Applications". That's neat, but a better way to put it might be "Created vehicle body defect tracking system to generate metrics for process control." or "... to save the company $100,000" or anything quantifiable. You "Developed user interface programs". For whom? How many used them? How critical a function? You want to show off your results, and I'm sure you've had many.

If I go down the line of your resume I see "Created, Assisted, Developed, Proficient" a lot. You may want to mix that up.

Do you do any student activities? In IEEE for example do you try to get speakers or do you just show up to the meetings? Put down anything you are responsible as people like to see participation and responsibility in teams, whether work or student.

I think you have a lot of good stuff to show on your resume and with a little more work yours can really shine.

Hed fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 17, 2011

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Well, GE never called back. I assume this means I didn't get it. However, I'm kind of put off by the lack of professional courtesy. Don't tell me that you'll let me know either way by Friday and not notify me for a week+

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Wickerman posted:

Well, GE never called back. I assume this means I didn't get it. However, I'm kind of put off by the lack of professional courtesy. Don't tell me that you'll let me know either way by Friday and not notify me for a week+

Uh if they didn't call you by now, it's time for you to follow up with them. Call your HR contact or interviewer and simply ask if the position has been filled.

It honestly could have gotten delayed. You must keep in mind that their primary concern is projects that make or cost the company real money, not interns that only cost a few thousand.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

SB35 posted:

Uh if they didn't call you by now, it's time for you to follow up with them. Call your HR contact or interviewer and simply ask if the position has been filled.

It honestly could have gotten delayed. You must keep in mind that their primary concern is projects that make or cost the company real money, not interns that only cost a few thousand.

I'll call them tomorrow, but I did send them a thank-you email for the interview which is supposed to be a courteous thing to do.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
I always thought it reflected badly on companies when they said they'd call and then didn't. I mean, if you're so scared of conflict then don't say you're going to call in the first place.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Your Skills section is kind of vague. Considering that you appear to have plenty of room to work with, I'd expand that and maybe break it down into specific software used/techniques/whatever it is EEs do. You don't want employers to have to spend time interpreting your resume to find out what you can do.

T.H.E. Rock fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 18, 2011