Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I was wondering how the hell they planned on cooling the drat things.. Also :lol: at 220W.

AMD Vishera: for those cold winter nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh. Well now its not a terrible buy now. Just a slightly worse one. I'd be tempted if my 3570K + NH-D14 combo wasn't already cheaper I guess.

I wouldn't be. 3570K + NH-D14 is about as good as it gets.

FX-9590 is simply as hot as it gets.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Huh. Well now its not a terrible buy now. Just a slightly worse one. I'd be tempted if my 3570K + NH-D14 combo wasn't already cheaper I guess.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Yeah it looks like it's at least sort of competitive with a similarly priced i7 offerings. Probably a lot more power hungry which still gives Intel an edge, but at least it's not a complete joke now. I guess.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Yeah it looks like it's at least sort of competitive with a similarly priced i7 offerings. Probably a lot more power hungry which still gives Intel an edge, but at least it's not a complete joke now. I guess.
It's still a complete joke, it's barely as fast in a single multi-threaded integer benchmark with Intel CPUs at stock speeds when overclocked to the core limit. If overclocking is an option for you just buy a Core i7 4770K and enjoy a huge speed advantage. An i5 4670K is an even better option, I just picked something that was the same price.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Instead of buying a new cooking range it might be cheaper to buy these things

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Why is AMD even trying to compete on performance? All it does is generate bad press. I am still incredibly happy with my $300 trinity A8 laptop. I think the first game I won't be able to play will be the new X game.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

keyvin posted:

Why is AMD even trying to compete on performance?

I think it's because they're behind on performance per watt, single-threaded performance per dollar, and rapidly losing ground in the extreme low end. $249 Chromebooks with Haswell processors are showing up, as well as a new Atom that looks extremely competitive and dirt cheap.

What is AMD supposed to compete on if Intel builds a complete chip range including options under $100?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Imagine being one of those people who bought one when they first came out. Not only did they kick themselves in the nuts, now AMD has joined in too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This is a thing with slides on Kaveri's paper launch. Two A10s and one A8 in February. Various reports of just how much performance (IPC, HPC, whatever) improves are still...all over the place.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 28, 2013

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This is a thing with slides on Kaveri's paper launch. Two A10s and one A8 in February. Various reports of just how much performance (IPC, HPC, whatever) improves are still...all over the place.

"New audio coprocessor" That's gotta be TroutAudio.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

karoshi posted:

"New audio coprocessor" That's gotta be TroutAudio.

I dunno, sounds a bit fishy to me.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Fish puns make me ichthy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Have you considered consulting a sturgeon?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Ugh, are we really doing puns in this thread? They're always so overwrought, people fumble and flounder for anything that could possibly fit. This is for serious AMD discussion.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No need to be a snapper. Have fun, be an in-grouper.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

No need to be a snapper. Have fun, be an in-grouper.

I guess I just have a different school of thought from the majority here.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Some people just want to swim against the flow I guess

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Take note AMD employees who skim SA (yes, we know you're hooked on F^2's advice), you know your processors are on the rocks when all we can do is make fish puns. Your top bass should be worried.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You're just angling for an AMD lurker to speak up aren't you? I'd rather be a fly on the wall. Stop trolling.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Mahi mahi, the quality of this thread has taken an unexpected dive. I hope this codforsaken mess doesn't salmon the attention of a moderator. I hear they can dunk posts into the deepest chambers of the forums.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

Ugh, are we really doing puns in this thread? They're always so overwrought, people fumble and flounder for anything that could possibly fit. This is for serious AMD discussion.

Look at what you've done!

(Inadvertently).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Agreed posted:

:golfclap:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Mahi mahi, the quality of this thread has taken an unexpected dive. I hope this codforsaken mess doesn't salmon the attention of a moderator. I hear they can dunk posts into the deepest chambers of the forums.

It's OK, it brought this back up from the depths of the 2nd and 3rd pages.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
AMD released some info on Kaveri today http://www.anandtech.com/show/7507/amd-kaveri-apu-launch-details-desktop-january-14th , I'm disappointed to see they are sticking with their single floating point unit per module setup. Maybe they're hoping that any floating point heavy task will be either not threaded at all or really heavily threaded so it can be offloaded to the GPU side of things. HSA still sounds like it could be interesting, but it doesn't look like this announcement gives any information that wasn't already out there besides what the hardware it will have to work with.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Considering most graphics cards these days use GDDR5, I am wondering about any performance drawbacks from using DDR3 for the gpu?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Cowwan posted:

Maybe they're hoping that any floating point heavy task will be either not threaded at all or really heavily threaded so it can be offloaded to the GPU side of things.

Actually threading isn't the limit of parallelism in FPUs. It's far older tech than multi-threading to pass multiple numbers in a single instruction - it's called vector processing, and it's been part of x86 since Intel's SSE on the Pentium III and part of computing for far longer than that. The idea is that if you have, say, four 32-bit floats and you need to do the same operation on all of them, you cram them together and send them as a 128-bit data to a SIMD instruction (single input, multiple data).

AMD's CPUs aren't hurting for parallelism. It's just that Intel uses double the FP hardware per core, some could say inefficiently. Both AMD and Intel FPUs can run up to 256-bit vector operations. However, this requires using the AVX2 instruction set. If AVX2 is not used, then the best they operate is as 128-bit units. In an Intel CPU, half the instruction and execution pathway in the FPU is dormant without AVX2 - idle silicon. With AMD, the half the FPU gets symmetrically multithreaded and you can get double the 128-bit paths.

So for 128-bit vector floats, which is the most most people can/will use today, a 4-core Intel chip has 4 FPU paths and an 8-core AMD chip has 8. It's just that supporting AVX2 will double Haswell's FP throughput but leave the AMD chip's largely unchanged, because the AMD chip isn't using any more or any less of its silicon.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

system protocol posted:

Considering most graphics cards these days use GDDR5, I am wondering about any performance drawbacks from using DDR3 for the gpu?

Even with Trinity/Richland GPU performance would pretty much scale perfectly with DDR3 clocks, albeit it's not like it would perhaps scale with GDDR5 completely. But yes, it's a problem, hence why the Iris Pro which is Intel's top integrated GPU has a 128MB of Edram at 50gb/sec.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
TechReport has a bit of gab about AMD's CPU roadmap. The big deal is that no FX CPU based on the new and imminent Steamroller core is scheduled for 2014. Looks like the first big consequence of AMD de-emphasizing the performance desktop space is with us.

Not super surprising if you consider that FX CPUs don't have any IGPs for the HSA features to make use of. That was an initialism-heavy sentence.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Factory Factory posted:

Actually threading isn't the limit of parallelism in FPUs. It's far older tech than multi-threading to pass multiple numbers in a single instruction - it's called vector processing, and it's been part of x86 since Intel's SSE on the Pentium III and part of computing for far longer than that.
actually preceded by MMX and 3DNow, but that's neither here nor there...

if you look at the perf advantage in GPU versus CPU for scientific compute applications, a lot of the time it scales linearly with bandwidth. graphics often performs similarly. as Intel's fabs get better and their ability to slap down huge amounts of eDRAM improves, it's going to be bad for AMD.

also, it sounds like HSA for discrete GPU is dead. can't say I'm shocked, that was never a good value proposition for anyone (cache coherence over PCIe... no).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Professor Science posted:

actually preceded by MMX and 3DNow, but that's neither here nor there...

Dang, you're right. I should've looked it up to double check instead of just looking for confirmation of my bad memory.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

Professor Science posted:

if you look at the perf advantage in GPU versus CPU for scientific compute applications, a lot of the time it scales linearly with bandwidth. graphics often performs similarly. as Intel's fabs get better and their ability to slap down huge amounts of eDRAM improves, it's going to be bad for AMD.
To be fair, this really depends on the application. Things like finite element analysis will definitely chew through as much bandwidth as you can throw at them. Other problems (say, molecular dynamics solvers) will use a lot of data per computation, but usually cache extremely well. In that case, you can end up being cache-bandwidth limited, with little use for bandwidth at the pins.

In either case (especially the former), these problems can also require a lot of memory -- so much so that I'm not convinced you will be able to work on reasonable problems with the amount of storage you can build with even an amazing eDRAM process. Maybe your eDRAM is another layer of the cache, but that doesn't help a lot for many bandwidth-bound applications.

Look for 3D/2.5D stacking to be the general method of addressing the bandwidth limits and power issues of GDDR.

quote:

also, it sounds like HSA for discrete GPU is dead. can't say I'm shocked, that was never a good value proposition for anyone (cache coherence over PCIe... no).
IBM is looking into it (see: CAPI on their new Power8 cores).

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

TechReport has a bit of gab about AMD's CPU roadmap. The big deal is that no FX CPU based on the new and imminent Steamroller core is scheduled for 2014. Looks like the first big consequence of AMD de-emphasizing the performance desktop space is with us.

Not super surprising if you consider that FX CPUs don't have any IGPs for the HSA features to make use of. That was an initialism-heavy sentence.

I was hoping the Athlon line would continue on in Steamroller sans the GPU, possibly providing comparable performance to the previous generation FX chips. (for about half the price)

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 19, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Well, at least the new Warsaw server line will be staying with 12 or 16 pure Piledriver threads, none of that pesky on-die graphics nonsense there. :v:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I wish AMD would embrace the low end more than they have. I would love to have something crazy like a 32 core 1-1.5ghz proc for a virtualization lab or for VDI.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo Menacer is still alive and hasn't been crushed under the weight of academia!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

adorai posted:

I wish AMD would embrace the low end more than they have. I would love to have something crazy like a 32 core 1-1.5ghz proc for a virtualization lab or for VDI.

Microservers are going in that direction. They aren't 32 core single chips, but they are 4-8 cores in 10-30W of dissipation, packed into board area not unlike the inside of a 2.5" SSD.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I, for one, welcome our perpetual Intel overlords. Ah, who am I kidding, we've been there for a while.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Hey, looks like AnandTech's AMD desk finally got something useful: a Kaveri APU preview.

The biggest thing is that it's fully HSA-enabled on Windows 8.1, complete with unified memory. All it needs are apps, and the GPU can be leveraged more easily than with an OpenCL codepath or something? I guess. They demo'd two builds of LibreOffice Calc doing spreadsheet stuff with stocks, and the difference between HSA and standard x86 was 0.12 seconds vs. 0.99, a solid boost. I imagine the big deal here is just plugging into the HSA stack and letting the scheduler do the job rather than having to write up an entire OpenCL workload, but honestly I have no Goddamn clue.

On the x86 side, AMD is saying that we'll be getting power consumption improvements coupled with a 20% IPC boost. Turbo is either being reduced or the turbo range is widening, though - more to come on that.

On the GPU side, the IGP goes up to 512 GCN cores @ 720 MHz at 95W (A10-7850K). Estimating by shader-Hertz, that puts the performance target just under an R7-250, which ain't too shabby for integrated graphics. Also has all that GCN 1.1 ooey-gooey like TrueAudio and Mantle.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 7, 2014

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Factory Factory posted:

I imagine the big deal here is just plugging into the HSA stack and letting the scheduler do the job rather than having to write up an entire OpenCL workload, but honestly I have no Goddamn clue.
nah, I think it's using CL, it's just lower overhead because it's shared memory. whether this is just "faster because more FLOPs because GPU" or "faster because HSA itself is actually useful" is not addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That... would be a significant disappointment compared to how they're selling this. The whole subtext behind HSA and HUMA was that GPGPU programming would become as easy as sufficiently threading your workload. How does this make OpenCL programming any easier?

• Locked thread