Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
People making GBS threads on Sony for updating the PS3 too often / People making GBS threads on Sony for updating the PS4 once every two months / Not caring about MS crapping out preview build PR every week and 1-2 patches every month :marc:

Tie your BattleNet account to your PSN and you get a ring as a bonus. November GTA5 is too long of a wait, at least Drive Club finally becomes a thing. Best wait until GT PS4 before buying wheel and pedals, cannot accept the Thrustmaster T80 at $99 with no force feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Funny thing about that: worldwide the ps3 and 360 wound up virtually tied in terms of units shipped and sold by the end of the generation. It goes to show that you can turn it around after a bad start, and I personally don't think Microsoft's start to this gen is as bad as Sonys was last gen.

I mean, Sony pretty much had no infrastructure for PSN until years after the ps3 launch and it still limped along without stuff like party chat. They didn't even have a native store on ps3 at first, it was done through their lovely Web browser :psyduck: and they still were able to pull it together. It's part of the reason why I just think it's funny when people say dumb poo poo like "Wow bro Microsoft is totally toast!!“

Yeah, I should have specified that they dominated the first half of the last gen until Sony got their poo poo together (they still had a really lovely UI for online play compared to 360 in the end though). I don't think the Xbone is doomed. They are probably going to have to eat some more humble pie and take their lumps for the next couple of years due to their initial gently caress ups though. I'll still probably grab one in the next couple of years when a really good exclusive is announced or something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MrLonghair posted:

People making GBS threads on Sony for updating the PS3 too often / People making GBS threads on Sony for updating the PS4 once every two months / Not caring about MS crapping out preview build PR every week and 1-2 patches every month :marc:

People just bitch about everything, yes. I always wonder how "community leaders" for popular games do it since they basically have a non stop barrage of death and rape threats coming at them at mach 4 through 500 different mediums.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Funny thing about that: worldwide the ps3 and 360 wound up virtually tied in terms of units shipped and sold by the end of the generation. It goes to show that you can turn it around after a bad start, and I personally don't think Microsoft's start to this gen is as bad as Sonys was last gen.

I mean, Sony pretty much had no infrastructure for PSN until years after the ps3 launch and it still limped along without stuff like party chat. They didn't even have a native store on ps3 at first, it was done through their lovely Web browser :psyduck: and they still were able to pull it together. It's part of the reason why I just think it's funny when people say dumb poo poo like "Wow bro Microsoft is totally toast!!“

The difference between last generation and Sony's "it's a marathon not a sprint" is that Sony never lost footing in Europe. Microsoft 'dominated' the US/UK but literally everywhere else in the world it was Sony's playground.

The PS3 was by far the best bluray player available for price it's first few years on the market. It's also the best console for media crap (MLB/Netflix/Hulu+) and other playback abilities. I don't think the XB1 will be able to have some grand comeback like the PS3 did v:shobon:v

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

Tie your BattleNet account to your PSN and you get a ring as a bonus. November GTA5 is too long of a wait, at least Drive Club finally becomes a thing. Best wait until GT PS4 before buying wheel and pedals, cannot accept the Thrustmaster T80 at $99 with no force feedback.

There's a difference between frequent updates with no features beyond "stability improvements" and adding significant features and improvements every month.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, I should have specified that they dominated the first half of the last gen until Sony got their poo poo together (they still had a really lovely UI for online play compared to 360 in the end though). I don't think the Xbone is doomed. They are probably going to have to eat some more humble pie and take their lumps for the next couple of years due to their initial gently caress ups though. I'll still probably grab one in the next couple of years when a really good exclusive is announced or something.

The problem the Xbox One has currently is that it has zero hardware advantage going for it and is tied at best for every single technical aspect of the hardware (and is worse in most ways). The PS3 was an expensive launch disaster, but it was also a system with a Blu-ray drive (40+ gig games) instead of a regular DVD drive (6.8 gigs max on Xbox 360 without spanning discs, later expanded to 7.8 gigs), and a mandatory hard drive in every unit so games could actually install a few gigs (and have patches larger than 64 megs) and leverage an access time the 360 couldn't keep up with until late last year when they stopped catering to people without hard drives. It was, ultimately, possible to develop a game on the PS3 that the 360 wasn't really capable of (which makes sense, since the unit cost of a PS3 hardware-wise was insane and it came out a year later than the 360), especially with Microsoft's original policies.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

poo poo like this is what annoys people:

Why make me update on the 22nd for no obvious improvements and then again on 29th for some legitimate feature? Why not hold off on those sweet sweet stability improvements for a week to spare people the hassle of having to update?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

poo poo like this is what annoys people:

Why make me update on the 22nd for no obvious improvements and then again on 29th for some legitimate feature? Why not hold off on those sweet sweet stability improvements for a week to spare people the hassle of having to update?

As a programmer? Probably because something was discovered that could gently caress up the OS and brick systems and was extremely important to fix before a massive influx of people start using the machine (say people turning the system on for Last of us Remastered). I'd rather hear about 'wtf did you patch' then "omg my system died updating didn't you learn ANYTHING from the Wii U??????? I want my money back/dead system replaced"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Asema posted:

As a programmer? Probably because something was discovered that could gently caress up the OS and brick systems and was extremely important to fix before a massive influx of people start using the machine (say people turning the system on for Last of us Remastered)

IIRC Microsoft had announced getting Blu-ray 3D support in their August Xbox One update and I think Sony had to slip that in a little earlier than they normally would have.

jobehaix
Feb 16, 2004

A turtle? Yes, a turtle.
I'll be playing Diablo 3 this week, so go ahead and add me if you'll be playing it too!

PSN jobehaix

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

univbee posted:

IIRC Microsoft had announced getting Blu-ray 3D support in their August Xbox One update and I think Sony had to slip that in a little earlier than they normally would have.

That's pretty unlikely. Updates with features most likely take months of development and testing. It's not like they can just roll out a 3D blu-ray update with a week of development.

You can see in the full update list that there's several instances of updates crammed right up to each other: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

Updates don't really bother me, but OS updates are one of the few things MS is kicking Sony's rear end at right now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

blackguy32 posted:

That being said, I thought the game was pretty boring up until you start fighting the Hunters in Pittsburgh.

I must be one of the few who also enjoyed Pittsburg. I loved the two side stories there, one written through notes and the other with the new characters there. Both the two major combat sequences there were good too.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's pretty unlikely. Updates with features most likely take months of development and testing. It's not like they can just roll out a 3D blu-ray update with a week of development.

You can see in the full update list that there's several instances of updates crammed right up to each other: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software

Updates don't really bother me, but OS updates are one of the few things MS is kicking Sony's rear end at right now.

What OS updates has the XB1 gotten with the monthly updates?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think it was ready and well into the testing stages, and planned to be rolled into the bigger 1.8 update further down the track but I'm guessing decided that since Sony was a major player in 3D Blu-ray for a while and would look ridiculous if Microsoft beat them on their own feature they decided to release a smaller interim update with that feature and not much else. Of course, I'm not Sony; they don't send me their private meeting notes no matter how much stuff on PSN I buy. :argh:

Asema posted:

The Xbox One launched with a few key features missing or broken, like party chat issues, external hard drive support, support for storage management at all (at launch you couldn't see how much free space you had left, you just eventually ran out), a battery level indicator etc., although these have all since been fixed and may be skewing things because they've gained more ground since launch if you look at it a certain way. They should have DLNA support soon as well as the ability to play movie/audio files from USB storage, which the PS4 doesn't have although there's a rumor that that's also coming.

univbee fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 18, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Asema posted:

You can now see how much battery power is left in your controllers, and how much space is available on your hard drive.

There was no hard drive management whatsoever, so if your hard drive filled up with thousands of Madden touchdown recordings you didn't tell it to take, and Dead Rising 3 was the least recent game you'd played, it would have been automatically wiped from the system, along with its 13 GB of patches.

I only got a PS3 in 2008, but I've heard what it was like when it came out. I'm glad that after all the problems that system had with patches and installations taking hours, and having to sit there and wait for them to finish, they made it so much better for the PS4.

I'd still like to be able to pause and queue downloads, but going back to the PS3 for Gran Turismo 6 was a nightmare in comparison. Even when you finished patching the game, it had another patching system within it.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Asema posted:

A lot: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/system-update-operating-system

Most of it is stuff that probably should have been in there at launch, but it's nice that they are rapidly putting that stuff in. Whereas we still have no idea when proper game suspending is coming to the PS4.

Some highlights I would choose:

You can snap the achievement apps, with real-time tracking of achievements. So for example if an achievement requires you to do X number of things, you'll see the progress for that achievement update as you do it.

External HD support. Since the HD on the Xbox One isn't user replaceable/upgradable this is pretty big. You can plug in any 256GB or larger USB 3.0 drive and use is to store and run games.

Support for sharing your Real Name with friends.

Some tweaks to make it easier to use without kinect (proper auto-sign in, double tapping the guide button to bring up snappable applications)

Support for the OneGuide app for outside the US.

A sound mixer to adjust the volume of the game and snapped apps.

Twitch TV streaming (yes, this wasn't supported at launch)

They also have a preview program that lets you test new features early like 3D blu-ray support and the ability to like, share, and comment on things.

Also from Gamescom we know there are other big features coming soon, like the ability to stream TV from your Xbox One to the Smartglass app.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Got a PS4 today! I absolutely love the controller. I bought The Last of Us and Trials Fusion. Loving it so far! I was an Xbox guy last gen, so I'm excited to try out The Last of Us.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Day Man posted:

Got a PS4 today! I absolutely love the controller. I bought The Last of Us and Trials Fusion. Loving it so far! I was an Xbox guy last gen, so I'm excited to try out The Last of Us.

I am sorry you didn't experience Uncharted as well.

Where is my Uncharted remastered series Naughty Dog? :colbert:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ratbert90 posted:

I'd definitely try out a remastered version, but I'll settle for a current fen iteration as well!

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I just want it on PSnow, id pay $10 to play through each one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kanish posted:

I just want it on PSnow, id pay $10 to play through each one.

1080p60 with updated textures would be fantastic.

On a side note, playing through TLOU-R at 1080p60 for the first 3 hours, and then turning on 30fps lock is a gigantic shock. 30fps is terrible.

revolther
May 27, 2008
loving hell you idiots, "when can I throw away money while lowering the need for innovation in a free market?"

Buy a used ps3 and play the poo poo that way instead of voting to coddle lovely business practices with your consumer dollar.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

revolther posted:

loving hell you idiots, "when can I throw away money while lowering the need for innovation in a free market?"

Buy a used ps3 and play the poo poo that way instead of voting to coddle lovely business practices with your consumer dollar.

But I want to encourage more re-masters.

And I'm also Canadian so no one gives a gently caress what I buy. I might as well be dead.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm cool with remasters of old PS2 games that can see new life on PS3/Vita but the idea of repaying for PS3 game that I paid full price for a little over a year ago (Last of Us) is a hard pill to swallow. At the very least they seem to be doing PS3/360's Greatest Hits rather than just any old game now, we're not seeing Duke Nukem Forever: Nuclear Edition or Red Faction: Armageddon Remastered, and for that I'm glad.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

revolther posted:

Yeah, because I have already purchased and played through all of the Uncharted games. How DARE I want to play the games again at 1080p60.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Woke up this morning to find Diablo III on my "dashboard" and checked the installs; game installed, update installed, pre-order stuff installed.

:)

Of course, I'll be at work when it actually becomes playable. :(

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Microsoft doesn't seem to have any game studios to actually make exclusives. Rare made some fun games during the first few years of the 360, but now it hardly exists. They stopped making games a couple years ago, and I'm skeptical that they're going to suddenly fix this. Their initial steps of paying money to keep multiplats off of other systems isn't a confidence booster.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

revolther posted:

gently caress that remasters rule. Well done remasters have been great for movies, music, and so on so why is it such a crime for video games? I'll be rebuying most of them assuming I really liked the original game or never got the chance to play it in the first place,

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Day Man posted:

Nice one. If you like the controller and you're going to play analog-heavy games you should check out grips for the analog sticks. Kontrol Freeks and Grip-its are popular choices. Quite a few goons here swear by them, me included. They are cheap but a really great addition that improves quality of life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Fuuuccccckkkkk I caved and got D3. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress that remasters rule. Well done remasters have been great for movies, music, and so on so why is it such a crime for video games? I'll be rebuying most of them assuming I really liked the original game or never got the chance to play it in the first place,

Remasters usually exist for movies that have been out for decades, not a year or two.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Firstly, audiophiles still prefer analog and tube amps, and there are all kinds of pricks that will argue the superiority of betamax or laser disc and even some movies with definitive editions on old rear end formats that may never transfer properly. Secondly games aren't a limited pressing experience like a live concert or a Polaroid. Thirdly, this isn't Beatles Anthology or some bullshit where a hippy is dead and thus it can never be the same, it's two year old games and if the market forces dictate kicking out remixes of God of War till the end of time is "good enough" we'll ALL experienced diminished results.

Folks are praising TLOU lately, given your mindset, why should ND have bothered making a game of limited resources and "emotionally gripping" story telling like TLOU if the world was willing to rebuy Uncharted every year and a half.

Edit remasters of other media usually also justify their existence with new material, b sides, extended footage, not everything you could have bought before bundled conveniently.

MGS3 Subsistence is an okay example, gameplay is changed, more of the levels crafting and details are able to be enjoyed because of the new camera options. Smoother frame rate, not really.

revolther fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 18, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think you guys are thinking a little too hard about it. Game remasters (in the ps3 -> ps4 variety) have been huge improvements and have been warmly received by consumers. If everyone involved is happy and the publishers/developers are making money it's going to keep happening. I'm always in favor of games getting upgrades since they're always directly tied to modern technology as a ceiling and after a big jump in hardware there's no reason not to if it's something the players want. Also this is coming from a dude who still loves his tube amps and spends hours reading about tonewoods.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I think the answer is no, but is there no way of connecting via remote play over a local network, and still being able to use the DS4 controller. I was just thinking about using it as a little second screen but as soon as you turn the DS4 on, remote play disconnects.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

shmee posted:

I think the answer is no, but is there no way of connecting via remote play over a local network, and still being able to use the DS4 controller. I was just thinking about using it as a little second screen but as soon as you turn the DS4 on, remote play disconnects.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/30/ps4-1-7-firmware-update-makes-using-dualshock-4-in-remote-play-a-lot-easier-and-it-looks-beautiful/

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Also let's forget that most of these remasters are:

Being done by different teams, don't cost that much to do and will feed money into other games from that studio or team.

I really do not see a problem with them at all

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like gen->gen remasters because I may not have played the game originally and would like to play it on my new system because the old one is now in a room I never go into.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Arguably, if you can appreciate tube amps and tone woods, you should appreciate the original content of the game. You are arguing for hybrid amps and laminate Martins; similar to the original but "improved" by modern manufacturing, which really is no improvement, similar but different.

An example: If you get nostalgic for the original Super Mario Brother's and those fond childhood memories, it's easy to pop in Super Mario All-stars or New Super Mario Bros. It feels similar, you'll have fun, but it's not the same, that nostalgia is there but not quite the same.

Now pull out the nes, blow in the cartridge, scrape the edge on the lip, you play the original and it will scratch that itch, it's still great.

But what the gently caress modern Nintendo game do you or anyone else REALLY wanna play? Now consider the years that an industry leading company wasted remastering the same poo poo games over and over, repeating mechanics, never really innovating but trying to capture nostalgia.

Why should the industry do that again?

Edit: hehe nice one below

revolther fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 18, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
A really great way to never convince anyone of anything is to start your argument with "Firstly, audiophiles"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Oh cool, thanks for that, didn't find that in my searching. Glad there's a way to make that work, I'll give it a go later.

• Locked thread