Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Capntastic posted:

now when I think of it it's like, a race to play in the most efficient way possible using scripts and wikis.

The weirdest thing for me is that, overwhelmingly, I am not a play-optimally player. But KoL, with its repetitive gameplay and ability to shave off significant amount of turns via perming skills (especially early, when consumable creation is huge, absolutely hooked me into shaving off turns when and where I can. Like, I was lowkey mad that my forgetting to put on an outfit for ~30 turns my last run screwed me out of my lowest turncount ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Anybody got a relatively up-to-date hc speed ascension guide? Everything google turns up is pretty old at this point.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

ItBreathes posted:

Anybody got a relatively up-to-date hc speed ascension guide? Everything google turns up is pretty old at this point.

Run Ezandora’s guide in kolmafia. It’s pretty great.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else experienced KolMafia being slow/unresponsive after learning Ambidextrous Funkslinging? Before that, I could just click the script button (simply "pickpocket, then attack"). After learning it, the Mafia refuses to do anything unless I click (show old combat form). It's not worth playing if I can't just hit the Script button.

Btw, 6/1,264, 115 turns faster than my previous record!

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 18, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Applied to the clan as Ninja_Duck. (I'm not going to say my go-to screen name is good, but man, it's better than that one.)

I guess I'm playing this game again, at least until Destiny stop sucking enough that you can get a raid group together.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Has anyone else experienced KolMafia being slow/unresponsive after learning Ambidextrous Funkslinging? Before that, I could just click the script button (simply "pickpocket, then attack"). After learning it, the Mafia refuses to do anything unless I click (show old combat form). It's not worth playing if I can't just hit the Script button.

Btw, 6/1,264, 115 turns faster than my previous record!

Got all your scripts up to date?

Ever take a look in the file settings\[playername]_prefs.txt in your Mafia directory? I've found that errors could cause that file to bloat with garbage, which slows Mafia way the hell down. Don't try to edit it when Mafia is running, first of all. If you open the file in a text editor and you see any number of "\u0000" before the first real-looking setting, it could stand to be cleaned. Make a backup of the file, then delete all the "\u0000" and save it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My scripts are simple as hell, literally just "pickpocket then attack'. Weirdest thing is, the 'solution' was simply to close and load Mafia, like, a dozen times. :iiam:

In unrelated news, I was dreading my final day/turn count for this run, because I was doing some things differently (mostly just not putting off the High Landlord quest until the end, and a bunch of other things I've since forgotten) and wasn't sure how it'd all suss out.

1,231 turns, five loving days holy poo poo. I've never broken 6 before.

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Nice, I just started hitting 5 days on my last few runs. It has been a long time since I haven't run standard, but that turn count seems crazy high to me. What do your consumables look like in run? If I could figure out how to generate some more turns, especially day 1, I might be able to try for a 4 day.

Frisbee
Nov 21, 2005
I got moved to Inactive Ejaculative after being away, but I'm still around. I used to be Platinum Goon and helped out a good bit back in the day. Anyone around to change me so I'm not inactive? Thanks!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Capntastic posted:

I remember when KoL was just a zany little browser game with TMBG references that mocked typical fantasy adventure tropes and now when I think of it it's like, a race to play in the most efficient way possible using scripts and wikis.

This is why I stopped playing regularly. I never played the game automated. To me there is no fun in automation: I might as well have Progress Quest running in the background. But as the game got more complex and tailored to automation—especially through the expansion of all the council quests—it became less fun to play manually. Plus turngen creep turned 40 adventures per day into multiple hundreds, so playing manually also had a big time commitment.

I still log in now and then for events or just to fool around. The game is still fun in parts. I just can’t imagine doing ascensions anymore.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The optimization / automation was always there; at least, mafia existed back in '06. I didn't use it then, but I had a bunch of greasemonkey scripts to smooth out the gameplay. It was a lot of fun seeing how far above your level you could adventure and watching go a bit further and a bit more consistent each ascension.

Sadly (but not surprisingly) the community doesn't seem to be as large as it used to be, and all of the guides on how to go bleeding edge are out of date.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
West of Loathing brought me to KOL which I am having fun dumbassing my way through for my first ever playthrough but every time I look up a way to do something, the guides make me feel like some kind of caveman.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Piquai Souban posted:

West of Loathing brought me to KOL which I am having fun dumbassing my way through for my first ever playthrough but every time I look up a way to do something, the guides make me feel like some kind of caveman.

I’m glad you are enjoying the game but not surprised that you are finding it unwelcoming. In my view, KOL stopped trying to appeal to new players a long time ago.

I played since before ascension was implemented. Each increase in the game’s complexity was just iterative for me. I wouldn’t know where to begin if I were just starting now. I often wonder how anyone could start playing now without clinging to the wiki.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

artoke posted:

What do your consumables look like in run?

I don't take notes (I probably should, I'm not in-run atm so Mafia is populating my list with things I don't usually have), but from memory it hashes out to something like this:

Food: The most nebulous and non-concrete. I want to say a decent amount of it comes from or descended from Barrel Mimic stuff. Seems like I have to hunt stuff to make decent pasta meals.
Booze: Five Fist Turkey boozes, then some BM drops.
Spleen: Aqua De Vida

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Just finished up my last run, 5/818 hardcore standard disco bandit. Was so close to the sub 800. This was the first run I didn't use my god lobster almost exclusively, which ended up hurting a bit on stats. I know I spent at least 18 turns powerleveling. Tried using the kitten burglar as my primary item familiar instead of just getting the god lobster equipment to turn him into a volleyfairy. Heists are nice, made getting the hippy outfit a lot easier, but I am still not sure if it is still better to just run slimeling for the pickpocket chance.

Things to think about for next run
Stats: either running a volley more or maybe starting ur-kels earlier.

Heists: what is the best use, or is it something I need to adjust depending on how the run is going?

SongBoom: I am leaning pretty heavy on the bonus meat to fuel buffs, should I try for enough nightmare fuel to have it active for the whole cyrpt? This run I switched for a bit and ended up having to really scrounge for meat for the macguffin quest.

Diet: spending turns crafting feels bad, but so does farming for chef/bartender in a box. I guess I should look in to perming expert corner-cutter, since inigo's is out of standard.

Astral equipment: I've been going with the shirt out of laziness, should probably either switch to the belt for ML or do a few more 100% runs to get the pet sweater. Given that I don't have a shirt in my run until day 4 when I get the tunac from the floundry it feels like I'm not missing too much by taking the shirt over the belt, but I know it would help with my stat issue.

Sorry if people aren't interested in stuff like this. I figured it would be good to get input.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

artoke posted:

Astral equipment: I've been going with the shirt out of laziness, should probably either switch to the belt for ML or do a few more 100% runs to get the pet sweater. Given that I don't have a shirt in my run until day 4 when I get the tunac from the floundry it feels like I'm not missing too much by taking the shirt over the belt, but I know it would help with my stat issue.

I always go for the pet sweater myself. You can find good shirts and accessories in run (or start with them if you're loaded with IotMs) but you're not gonna stumble on anything better than the sweater for your fams.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Horsery, yea or neigh?

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

New IOTM helped me hit 4 days on this last run. 4/761 HCStd AT. The stat gains from the accessory pretty handily solved the issues I was having in my previous runs. Ended up with 3 heists banked for filthworms, but got each gland in one turn anyways. It was cool to be able to use those heists on tomb ratchets from kings, but I had 3 tangles this run so I would have probably been fine on ratchets.

ItBreathes posted:

Horsery, yea or neigh?

I picked it up, but honestly for 2 Mr. Accesories it is nothing spectacular. The random buffs are fun. Slotless stuff is always going to be all upside, but it isn't a very large upside in this case and the cost is pretty steep. If you have money laying around go for it, but you probably aren't missing out on too much if you decide to pass.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
The Deck of Every Card rotated out while I wasn't playing, huh.

:(

New challenge path is kinda nice though. The masks can offer pretty good buffs.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
There was a West of Loathing collectors edition but there were only 2000 copies and it sold out like instantly.

i wanted to get one i wanted the stand up cactus man!!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Sivart13 posted:

There was a West of Loathing collectors edition but there were only 2000 copies and it sold out like instantly.

Love how they managed to be release #11.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sivart13 posted:

It says there is still inventory available if you still wanted one!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Klungar posted:

It says there is still inventory available if you still wanted one!
Thank you helpful person. The stand up cactus man is now mine!

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
On my 100th ascension finally broke 900 on a standard HC run= 864. Time to min/max until this game isn't fun for a while again.

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Just had to sell my entire inventory to buy goofballs and smash my hippy stone to get back down to level 13 for the NS. Managed 5/833 doing a HCStd 100% familiar run. Was running the god lobster so I didn't have a real fairy until day 2, so I put off a ton of quests and didn't even fill my liver or stomach. Day 2 was a ton of MP issues, which made meat pretty tight. Once I hit day 3 though everything came together and it was an easy run after that. I am so glad I am done doing 100% familiar runs, going to have the pet sweater unlocked finally.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

6/1249 HCSt 100% mini sword & martini guy. Definitely made some mistakes and had some runs of real bad luck, but I don't think I could shave a day as is, still, feels like I'm getting the hang of the game again. Feels good.

Now time to put that all on hold & grind out olfaction.

E: does anyone have tips for low effort ways to make meat with my spare ~100 advs/day? Hardcore ascension never was much of a money maker and a decade of inflation has left me essentially broke.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 31, 2018

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

If anyone is interested I would be glad to look at and comment on ascension logs. I am not bleeding edge fast or anything (yet lol) but I attempted to be at one point and now I still go pretty fast. Mainly do HCStd so my advice will be mostly coming from that point of view. I know (at least for me) a lot of the fun is figuring out how to improve your runs, so I hope getting a second look at an ascension will be useful to some of you.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I just finished a HC run with the new challenge path; 3/640. It was the first time I used Ezandora’s Guide script. It definitely helped me save some turns, and keep track of areas with a turn delay before events that I didn’t even know about before.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I'm an older player jumping back in and I have a few questions:

I have never used scripts and mostly like to just collect trophies, tattoos and junk. Are there simple scripts or such that I can use to cut out bullshit adventure wasting in quests, but still play casually?
Is this current month's Mr. Accessory item any good?
I tried the current seasonal run as a disco bandit and had my rear end handed to me repeatably, is there a better class to run through it the first time, while I regain my bearings?
I believe the last time I played regularly was around 2013 (the flooding seasonal path I want to say?) What major changes have happened that might gently caress me over if I'm not aware of them?

Thanks goons!

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

I'm sure you have heard it before, but Ezandora's Guide script is pretty much what you are looking for. It displays a ton of helpful info about your current quests, as well as reminders for daily stuff you have access to and a list of things you will need for the tower. I really like that it reminds me of how much delay is in certain zones so I know where to burn a few adventures if I am trying to get rid of olfaction without any SEEGAs. I can't remember exactly which quests have changed, but the Guide will make the changes fairly trivial because it will at least tell you how to speed up any new quests you encounter.

The IOTM for August is pretty solid I think. I only really use the ascension relevant parts of it, but the mini game might be fun too if you are in to that. As far as ascension goes this item does a few cool things. First off it lets you start your run at level 4 for free, which can help with some early quest sequencing. The equipment is great, at the very least the extra stat gains early run are super helpful. The buffs are pretty meh, but the moxie one can help with nuns and init tests so that can be useful.

I haven't really messed around with any seasonal paths, but from what I have read this one can be a pain. Hopefully someone else in this thread has more experience with it and can offer some insight.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
The scripts you would want to use would be entirely dependent on personal preference. I like running through the quests during an ascension manually, because I like the challenge of trying to minimize turns and be as efficient as possible. I like Ezandora’s Guide because it keeps track of stuff that I would sometimes forget, but it doesn’t do anything for me automatically. Aftercore poo poo, like mining the volcano, and farming daily items, I run scripts for. You can check out the KOL Mafia forum, people post scripts there for everything. If there is a particular quest you hate running, you can probably find or request a script to automate it.
As of writing this, Bastille Battalion is the IOTM. It’s a fun mini game in and of itself, and it grants a once-a-day buff and accessory that disappears at rollover. It’s pretty relevant for ascension, but still limited. I have gotten far more use out of the Asdon Martin so far, but good luck affording one of those at this point.

As far as the current seasonal path, I only did it with turtle tamer, and it wasn’t bad. I only had trouble with the Big Wisniewski and any of the hockey mask fights. I think running a sauceror or pastamancer would be pretty difficult, just because of the masks that prevent you from using skills or reflect spells.

Also, if you get a consultation request from the Fortune Teller, answer it.

Edit:
For anyone that needs the Moving Target trophy, I got it the other day with a bullseye at 3565. I used a d12 rolling script and chose 550 d12s. Only took about 6 minutes.

SnotGrumble fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 7, 2018

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Doing HCStd, at what point should I start skipping liver? I am consistently getting it day 1 without issue, and doing 4 day runs currently. That being said, I just about hit level 12 on day 2 of my current run so I don't think I'm too far off of making 3 day attempts.

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

artoke posted:

Doing HCStd, at what point should I start skipping liver? I am consistently getting it day 1 without issue, and doing 4 day runs currently. That being said, I just about hit level 12 on day 2 of my current run so I don't think I'm too far off of making 3 day attempts.

It just depends on whether you need those extra adventures that liver would give you over two days to hit a 3 Day day count.

I would recommend getting a 3 day with liver first and then seeing how many turns you think you can cut versus what you’re generating (minus what the steel organ quest costs) from liver.

It looks like the new IOTM gives a +1 liver skill after maybe 19-20 quest completions. So that might put you over the top. There’s also the Stooper for another liver if you don’t have that.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having trouble installing the kolmafia script. I have the latest version of java, but am still getting the 'no java' error. Google led to me some forums that recommended jarfix as an answer to this, but the jarfix claims there is no runtime environment? I have no idea what I am doing.

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Stool Sample posted:

I'm having trouble installing the kolmafia script. I have the latest version of java, but am still getting the 'no java' error. Google led to me some forums that recommended jarfix as an answer to this, but the jarfix claims there is no runtime environment? I have no idea what I am doing.

Are you using the latest daily build of Mafia? What version of Java do you have installed? How are you going about installing the script (SVN via the Mafia cli, or manually)? Are you using Windows, and if so are you using the mafia jar or exe file?

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

artoke posted:

Are you using the latest daily build of Mafia? What version of Java do you have installed? How are you going about installing the script (SVN via the Mafia cli, or manually)? Are you using Windows, and if so are you using the mafia jar or exe file?

Using Windows 10, mafia version 17.12.exe, java Version 8 Update 181. To install I'm just clicking on the files in my download folder (though I did put kolmafia in its own folder on my desktop, assuming I will be using more related scripts or files later.)

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Try using the latest daily build, it will be in a .jar format but should run just fine by double clicking. Once you have that running and get logged in, go to the Graphical CLI tab in Mafia and run:

code:
svn checkout https://github.com/Ezandora/Guide/branches/Release/
This will install the Guide script, which is a great tool. Most other scripts can be installed in similar fashion and will have the svn checkout line in either the forum post or the Github branch depending on where the script is hosted, so if Guide wasn't what you were looking for just run the svn checkout command for that script.

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

artoke posted:

Try using the latest daily build, it will be in a .jar format but should run just fine by double clicking. Once you have that running and get logged in, go to the Graphical CLI tab in Mafia and run:

code:
svn checkout [url]https://github.com/Ezandora/Guide/branches/Release/[/url]
This will install the Guide script, which is a great tool. Most other scripts can be installed in similar fashion and will have the svn checkout line in either the forum post or the Github branch depending on where the script is hosted, so if Guide wasn't what you were looking for just run the svn checkout command for that script.

That is in fact the srcript I wanted to run, I was just having trouble with the kolmafia install. Everything is running and looks good. Thanks!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

5/983 as a Seal Clubber going not 100% familiar, but I feel I could definitely shave a day just playing tighter.

Now time to grind Olfaction for real, at least for a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artoke
Apr 8, 2011

Just finished a 4/692 HCStd SC run. Between getting a garbage tote a few weeks back and the new IOTM I was just about level 12 on day 2. I really need to recheck my run strategy to see if I can start reordering quests a little better. I need to get a familiar to run when I don't really need anything. Typically this would just be god lobster or whatever volley I had around, but I don't think I need the extra stats. I use god lobster buffs for MP so no need to run a starfish. I suppose just running the cat burglar like I did this run is fine, an extra heist or two might be nice.