Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

TheHoosier posted:

for the lower levels maybe. Getting through the last two expansions probably isnt very fast though, is it?

No idea! Started fresh just to re-familiarize. Early levels being faster is certainly a big help, though.

e: Is the list in the OP for inviters up to date?

dreffen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

dreffen posted:

No idea! Started fresh just to re-familiarize. Early levels being faster is certainly a big help, though.

e: Is the list in the OP for inviters up to date?

Just updated it, but you'd have a better time just posting your character name and I'll invite you

edit

Also no word yet if expansion sales will be back for their usual Christmas/New Years slot but The March of The King quest pack is now 35% off. If that was the one that included the last raid before this new one and a good amount of quests it might interest someone.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 22, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Do you keep your LI for Mordor? I remember scuttlebutt about that at launch.

I'd hope you keep it, even if you have to bag it for a few middle levels until you hit level cap again and can start powering it up more.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

xZAOx posted:

Do you keep your LI for Mordor? I remember scuttlebutt about that at launch.

I'd hope you keep it, even if you have to bag it for a few middle levels until you hit level cap again and can start powering it up more.

Legendary items max out at level 100, period. So yes you will still use the same one through Mordor.

Now that being said, some of the non-legendary weapons will do more base dps until you re-max your dps tier with star-lit crystals. And I think I remember seeing some complaints that level 115 non-legendary weapons actually still exceed the dps of a maxed out legendary.

As a loremaster it didn't really make that much difference to me since I needed the tactical rating which is irreplaceable from non-LI. However I did notice that the few physical skills I used (staff stikes) have basically become neutered into the ground because the base PHYSICAL dps of a tactical-based LI is still the same as it was at level 100.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yar, knew they were maxed at 100, but your second paragraph is what I was asking. Words are hard - I was speaking about imbued LIs, and referring to maxing out tiers.

Shame, after they spent all that time on the imbue system I wanted to see max ILI's staying BIS handily.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

xZAOx posted:

Yar, knew they were maxed at 100, but your second paragraph is what I was asking. Words are hard - I was speaking about imbued LIs, and referring to maxing out tiers.

Shame, after they spent all that time on the imbue system I wanted to see max ILI's staying BIS handily.

Even if the base dps is lower, the bonuses on the legendary will probably mean you do overall more damage. So I would say a legendary (at least one that had been maxed prior to mordor) is still probably BIS. However I have not thoroughly researched that point. It may be that for physical classes the difference in base dps is too important.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

extra stout posted:

Just updated it, but you'd have a better time just posting your character name and I'll invite you

edit

Also no word yet if expansion sales will be back for their usual Christmas/New Years slot but The March of The King quest pack is now 35% off. If that was the one that included the last raid before this new one and a good amount of quests it might interest someone.

Fingers crossed on an expac sale. That'd be great!

Character name is Professorlatency

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

dreffen posted:

Fingers crossed on an expac sale. That'd be great!

Character name is Professorlatency

It's gonna be painful to invite a character with that name to the kin but luckily you weren't on by the time I checked

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The discussion of LIs is useful for me, as I've been playing Drachenfutter again and due to the Yule fest I hit level 99. So one more level until I can make an imbued I and I am not at all prepared for it. So thanks for the talk/links.

I've added Professorlatency to my friends list, so if I am on I'll invite you to the kin. Sorry it has taken so long for you to get in, though I guess that tells you how active things are.

Edit: I also wanted to say that the new fur shoulder clothing from the yule fest is fantastic and having seen it I can't believe they haven't had something like this before. It paired with black stuff it really reminds me of Jon Snow's outfit in GoT, which seems like pretty typical fantasy garb.

Also, I am wondering if I should pick up the March of the King while it is on sale? I am level 99 and do not have any of Gondor's quest packs, but since MotK is only 6 levels higher than where I am at I am wondering if I could just skip right into March until Gondor goes on sale (because I simply must do every quest in this game.)

Siddhartha Glutamate fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 23, 2017

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

extra stout posted:

It's gonna be painful to invite a character with that name to the kin but luckily you weren't on by the time I checked

Used to be worse. Used to have character names after various death metal vocalists. :v:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Doublepost because screw it but tap this poo poo right into my veins do it

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

slay all the ungoliants

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
holy poo poo this game isn't dead? This may be the only time when buying a lifer membership actually paid off.

Estel
May 4, 2010
Yeah, me and my friends stopped playing after Lothlorien and we started again last week with new characters. We are having a lot of fun revisiting the newbie zones.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-store-sales-december-28th-january-4th

75% off beorning, character slots and related bundles
50% off the premium wallet

Some other cosmetic things if you please. I'd advise against EXP boosts unless you're already through Gondor, then I'd understand. Maybe in Rohan too if you don't plan on doing the questline anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea despite the high ladder to climb it feels like boosts are kinda 'wasted' on this game. There can't be some bustling endgame to race to, of all the games to justify 'it's about the journey not the end' I'm pretty sure Lord of the Rings can do that. I just made a Hobbit burglar and this game and I'm already loving the buster rear end starting stuff. I forgot there was an extended quest line involving a 'ghost'.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Did they ever fix some of the zones from the vanilla game, to make going through them less of a slog? I remember years ago I dropped this game because I hit a wall where leveling became incredibly unfun because I had nothing but bad zones left to do.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cubemario posted:

Did they ever fix some of the zones from the vanilla game, to make going through them less of a slog? I remember years ago I dropped this game because I hit a wall where leveling became incredibly unfun because I had nothing but bad zones left to do.

North Downs and Rivendell got revamped.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Forochel is still the place to be from 40 to 45 right?

Also does anyone even use the instance finder feature at all? I figured I would get some kind of hit at low levels for Barrows or Agarwen, or Fornost but nothing.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

dreffen posted:

Forochel is still the place to be from 40 to 45 right?

Also does anyone even use the instance finder feature at all? I figured I would get some kind of hit at low levels for Barrows or Agarwen, or Fornost but nothing.
The only time it is ever used is when people already have a full group, you can use it then to start an instance or skirmish for some small bonus to marks I think, maybe have to select multiple possible dungeons to get the bonus

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Correct. It's nothing like WoW's Dungeon Finder.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Well that's good to know! Maybe I'll just find groups for those then because I've been hankering for some cool dungeons.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
I played this game back in 2011-2012, and thinking of trying it out again. Is there much of an in-game population left? I remember people complaining about dwindling players five years ago and have no idea if things have picked up again or not.

I have been reading the LOTRO forums lately, though, and a lot of the posts are Star Trek Online-level terrible. Seems like a good fit.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I forgot just how hilarious it is to just have a stream of constant yelling in group content.

Everybody yells at Ivar to kill him.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The yelling is the reason I don't play the game any more.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

sassassin posted:

You can mute it with the filter now.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

sassassin posted:

That's fair. I just came back so everything is new again. And fun again.

Getting so close to Forochel.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
So I played this game (also at about 2012 I think? Seige of Mirkwood came out)

And I think I will need to rebuy everything as I lost access to the tied Email address.

So how's the subscription model work? Just free coins and that's it?
Am I right that I have to re-purchase all of the expansions?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Malek posted:

So I played this game (also at about 2012 I think? Seige of Mirkwood came out)

And I think I will need to rebuy everything as I lost access to the tied Email address.

So how's the subscription model work? Just free coins and that's it?
Am I right that I have to re-purchase all of the expansions?

You should contact support with as much information as you can find, they might be able to recover your account. You don't have to rebuy all the expansions if you recover your account, otherwise I'm not sure what the question is. The VIP/monthly subscription gives a ton of stuff but most of it is fluff and not necessary, just makes the game easier and more convenient. Access to all quest packs while subscribed, access to all stablemasters for easier transportation, some boosts and perks too long to list. More storage, access to PVP without paying in coins, etc.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

extra stout posted:

You should contact support with as much information as you can find, they might be able to recover your account. You don't have to rebuy all the expansions if you recover your account, otherwise I'm not sure what the question is. The VIP/monthly subscription gives a ton of stuff but most of it is fluff and not necessary, just makes the game easier and more convenient. Access to all quest packs while subscribed, access to all stablemasters for easier transportation, some boosts and perks too long to list. More storage, access to PVP without paying in coins, etc.

Well the VIP / Monthly thing from what I was reading that you couldn't access the expansion content on subscription alone... (or my interpretation)... is that accurate or?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Malek posted:

Well the VIP / Monthly thing from what I was reading that you couldn't access the expansion content on subscription alone... (or my interpretation)... is that accurate or?

Correct. stout was saying that you can probably get your account back which has them already purchased, but yes, you'd have to rebuy expansions if you're on a new account, even if subbed.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Also - for the new people returning, you really need to check out the LOTRO Wiki. It's not common for any MMO that's older (and especially not named "World of Warcraft") to have good up-to-date information, but the LOTRO wiki is still quite solid.

Here's a link to the expansions on the store page in the wiki: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store#Expansions

So you can see the coin cost. So even subbed you have to buy them, but you can buy them with points. If you're subbing, you'll get some free points, plus you earn points as you're playing (especially if you're doing all the deeds as you go along). It won't be enough to buy all of them realistically, but it'll definitely offset things as you play along.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Gotcha. It'll be an email then. I just spent the last 30 minutes trying to get into my old account from memory... and only found my DDO account. :v Oops.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

DonDoodles posted:

I played this game back in 2011-2012, and thinking of trying it out again. Is there much of an in-game population left? I remember people complaining about dwindling players five years ago and have no idea if things have picked up again or not.

I have been reading the LOTRO forums lately, though, and a lot of the posts are Star Trek Online-level terrible. Seems like a good fit.

This game was massively suffering population issues until the devs pulled their heads out of their asses and consolidated servers. Now it's just 5(?) NA servers and 5(?) EU servers, and everyone is happy with the population.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Is Warden still the best solo class?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

May be a bit silly to ask about given the activity of the kin and all that but is there a discord server at all?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Silly Newbie posted:

Still very good, maybe not the easiest to learn. And the high elf racial traits pair the best with them I'm told.

dreffen posted:

May be a bit silly to ask about given the activity of the kin and all that but is there a discord server at all?

Haven't seen anyone use external voice chats in a while, we're mostly all casuals again. If anyone knows someone who runs one of the goon voice chat servers, it'd be nice if we had a channel again.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 9, 2018

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Service Level Agreements are a foreign concept for Standing Stone Games apparently. I just would like to play again :(

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

extra stout posted:

Haven't seen anyone use external voice chats in a while, we're mostly all casuals again. If anyone knows someone who runs one of the goon voice chat servers, it'd be nice if we had a channel again.

Well we could set up the Discord, no need to squat on anothers' server no more.

https://discord.gg/ewTckTs - Just created it, invite link should not expire. Don't know how much use it will get but hey let's do it!

dreffen fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011

Silly Newbie posted:

Never played a warden, but I enjoy my hunter. Only problem is when I get too many bad guys/ monsters on me at once. If you like playing the role of sniper, hunter may be for you.