Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

how me a frog posted:

I've been watching a guy called cartoonz play this on youtube and he says Lawbringer is good. Unless he edits his footage a lot it looks like he's right.

Lawbringer is good but hard to play well and people are dumb and love to jump to conclusions.

There's a reason the vanguard classes say "Easy" next to them :ughh: (not that they aren't hard to master, but other classes take much more practice to be decent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I started multiplayer, and the server's broken? :sigh: Ubisoft

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Zaphod42 posted:

Lawbringer is good but hard to play well and people are dumb and love to jump to conclusions.

There's a reason the vanguard classes say "Easy" next to them :ughh: (not that they aren't hard to master, but other classes take much more practice to be decent)

People who say things I want to hear are correct. Other people are jumping to conclusions.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Speaking of more bad UI quirks, I really wish the custom game would remember the last settings you had in there. Having to go in and reset everything just for a no damage 1v1 bot fight to test stuff is annoying.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Done with the 2nd campaign on realistic now, and holy poo poo gently caress OROCHI FOREVER trying to fight them without guard indicators is a NIGHTMARE let alone the boss level one at the end of the 2nd campaign who has unique attacks and like 5x normal health and block/deflects almost every attack

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Played 1v1s as Valkyrie all evening and literally didn't lose a single game. The only guys I really ever died to were Conquerors and Warlords, but even they weren't much trouble. Is she OP or are people just bad? Cos I'm definitely not particularly good at this.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Played 1v1s as Valkyrie all evening and literally didn't lose a single game. The only guys I really ever died to were Conquerors and Warlords, but even they weren't much trouble. Is she OP or are people just bad? Cos I'm definitely not particularly good at this.
Even Valkyrie bot in story mode seems to be godly.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

People right now are bad. Also Valk is decent. Low damage but shields rule.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Well haven't you heard? It's easy to defend literally every single attack, so there is no reason you should ever lose.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Haroshia posted:

People who say things I want to hear are correct. Other people are jumping to conclusions.

And how often do you find day-1 gut reactions to character balance to be highly accurate?

panda clue posted:

Well haven't you heard? It's easy to defend literally every single attack, so there is no reason you should ever lose.

:lol:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Someone tell me how to play the Berserker, because right now I've been running through, nailing people in the back, and rolling away only to come back the second they turn their attention away from me. I'm being annoying, but I feel it isn't the RIGHT kind of annoying.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

whatspeakyou posted:

Someone tell me how to play the Berserker, because right now I've been running through, nailing people in the back, and rolling away only to come back the second they turn their attention away from me. I'm being annoying, but I feel it isn't the RIGHT kind of annoying.

Berserker definitely seems to have a higher skill threshold than the other assassins. I'm not good so I don't know if that means they're bad. When I see them in 1v1, like any other class, I'm just happy they're not Nobushi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

whatspeakyou posted:

That's pretty effective in Dominion or Skirmish, but if you wanna be a good Berserker play lots of duels and learn how to gently caress people up with mixups and fast combos.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'll happily sit and duel anyone who wants to grind out the basics. Playing against bots can only take you so far and it helps to have someone sitting and explaining things to you. You also have a little bit more control because you can't tell bots what you want to practice. The mumble has some Nice and Cozy channels for all good goons to enjoy.

Then we can play together because playing Dominion with pubbies makes me want to vomit.

uplay: FreshSheshBesh

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

panda clue
May 23, 2014

yea this is the dumbest 'bug' if you can even call it that; more of a piss poor design decision. there is literally no reason for that to require a prompt, or even for the player to know about it at all tbh

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I should be playing other characters but Warden is the only one who appeals to me in terms of appearance. Am I bad for not branching out because I want the prettiest barbie?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

yea this is the dumbest 'bug' if you can even call it that; more of a piss poor design decision. there is literally no reason for that to require a prompt, or even for the player to know about it at all tbh

Yeah seriously it should just continue queuing if that happens, its really poor design that its even possible.

Songbearer posted:

I should be playing other characters but Warden is the only one who appeals to me in terms of appearance. Am I bad for not branching out because I want the prettiest barbie?

I'm in mostly the same boat knight buddy :hist101: Deus Vult

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
If you queue up and it tries to place you in a game that's full it should just behind the scenes requeue with no input from the user. Hopefully they fix some of those seemly obvious bad UX choices.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Do other classes get that health & stamina regen from killing mobs like Warden had? Cos slaughtering peasants to harvest their life force was totally my poo poo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Do other classes get that health & stamina regen from killing mobs like Warden had? Cos slaughtering peasants to harvest their life force was totally my poo poo.

Only people who have that feat (I think all vanguards get it at rank 1, but you can swap it out) and even if you have it, you have to have earned it first. But its only rank 1 so it doesn't take long to get that one.

Everybody gets health regen if they're holding A or C.

Reposting: https://imgur.com/a/nKH4x <- how dominion works

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Getting the hang of this :smug:

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

nobushi has the skill. it's the 3rd skill in the first line. it works great because her zone attack is loving amazing and you can push the entire point with 2 zone attacks.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Is there a discord people are hanging out on for this? because holy poo poo I'm bad at valkyrie

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

people are bad, but also she is new, so most I am sure have not learned her moves yet and how to counter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've yet to play against a Valkyrie that did anything other than poke me a few times before getting destroyed.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

ohsosad posted:

Is there a discord people are hanging out on for this? because holy poo poo I'm bad at valkyrie

panda clue posted:

ok here is the :siren: OFFICIAL FOR HONOR DISCORD FOR GOONS :siren:

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586QA4EQhM

Click that to get invited to the Official Something Awful Goon Discord, do the thing in the rules channel to get authenticated, scroll down to the #for-honor channel

grats, you did it. put this poo poo in the OP or something. you can even use this same discord server for like every other game goons play! whoa!

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
1v1, 2v2 and elimination are all cool, skirmish however is loving horrible who came up with that poo poo

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

lalaland posted:

1v1, 2v2 and elimination are all cool, skirmish however is loving horrible who came up with that poo poo

Is skirmish just like elimination with respawns?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
At the very least Ubisoft did the right thing and gave you the ability to hide whatever chat you want. Quickchat only while voiping with your pals is the best way to enjoy the game.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Kind of yes. I finished a elimination and I didnt pay attention to map votes or whatever I just readied up and picked my hero for the next round. Didnt pay attention at the loading screen but we all started grouped together and I first thought it was an elimination map where you just go balls out 4v4 as a group and see which group dies first. But then I saw loving npc soldiers running around. It was bad because we spent most of the time looking for the enemy. When you die you respawn after 12 secs. You get points for killing npcs and players and the first to reach 1000 wins. I think, idunno I didnt finish it. They should go back to the drawing board with that mode. A smaller map and longer revives would go a long way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

lalaland posted:

Elimination and dominion are both fun gently caress around modes, but yeah skirmish is just terrible. It doesn't offer anything you couldn't get out of dominion or elimination, so why play it? Plus orders specific to elimination can't be completed in skirmish which is annoying.

Other than that, 2v2 is my least favorite mode. I mean I can see how it would if I had someone to play it with, but for a solo player its awful. You get way more salty people and have to contend with the entire :byodood: HONOR :byodood: crowd. And if you are just doing 1v1s why not queue for that mode anyways?

VVV Literally the first match I played on release a 2v2 against AI. The guy I played with insulted me for dying and called me trash :regd09:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 15, 2017

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Internet Kraken posted:

Elimination and dominion are both fun gently caress around modes, but yeah skirmish is just terrible. It doesn't offer anything you couldn't get out of dominion or elimination, so why play it? Plus orders specific to elimination can't be completed in skirmish which is annoying.

Other than that, 2v2 is my least favorite mode. I mean I can see how it would if I had someone to play it with, but for a solo player its awful. You get way more salty people and have to contend with the entire :byodood: HONOR :byodood: crowd. And if you are just doing 1v1s why not queue for that mode anyways?

2v2 is only really fun against AI if you're playing solo.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy 2v2s because i get to type 'grave dishonoure' in chat when i am backstabbed and then turn the next round into a clusterfuck of running around messing with lock ons and dodges

when that doesn't happen you get a bit more downtime between rounds either b/c you are dead or you are waiting for the other two to finish fighting and you swap off each life so you get a break from fighting nobushi/conquerer/whatever it is you don't want to fight against that everyone you queue against in duel is using every time

basically it feels a bit more casual, and fills a niche lobbies would be ideal for but lol if ubi will ever realize they should do that

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
people like 2v2s because they get to 1v1 and hope their partner carries if they die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Skirmish is Dominion with no capture points. Its dumb.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Has anyone managed to play any of the assassin classes with KB/M? I've tried going through the campaign with a dualshock 4 with custom bindings, but I still feel KB/M is essentially better if it wasn't for the god drat accidental guard break directions activating on assassin. I almost thought of getting some sort of mouse movement disable key to press while you don't want to move to a guard but that just gets overly complicated and slows reaction time.

On DS4 I set up
LT = dodge/confirm
LB = feint/cancel
Right Stick button = guard break
Cross/A = Guard toggle
Square/X = Switch target
...I also experimented with holding gyro slightly to a certain direction to keep it activated, which wasn't bad, if I wanted to get used to it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So does anyone actually know how the faction war works? As in, what causes you to gain/lose territories? The game says its based on your performance but I have no idea it penalizes you for doing poorly or if its nothing but positive gains.

Dessel posted:

Has anyone managed to play any of the assassin classes with KB/M?

I play zerker on mouse. Its actually the reason I decided to not use a controller; I found the combo to do the dodge+attack really hard on a controller. Its simple on PC. Accidentally switching my guard sucks but driving the guard mode sensitivity down to 0 helps with that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So does anyone actually know how the faction war works? As in, what causes you to gain/lose territories? The game says its based on your performance but I have no idea it penalizes you for doing poorly or if its nothing but positive gains.

Every time you play a match, you can deploy 'war assets' in the regions that battle type currently falls under. You can manually pick which region, and you generate some 'assets' each match based on your performance.

So basically everybody on one faction is throwing all their points against the other team's points, for each game mode.

You can individually put your points into one region or another after a match, in order to pick where they're most needed and avoid wasting them on a region that is already well reinforced and winning, but if you don't pick anything it'll just automatically distribute the points you earned across all the territories for that game mode. Which is probably what most people are doing, because its such a big collective war that there's not really any strategy in picking.

At the end of each period (24 hours? It says how much there is left) each territory that was under combat passes to whoever has the most points in that region. Multiple regions in the same combat can pass to one side while several others pass to the other side.

If you wanted to try to put thought into it, just select 'deploy war assets' after each match and either pick a region you're barely controlling or one that you're close to taking over, to avoid wasting points.

Pretty sure its nothing but positive gains. But in theory if you're doing bad, the other faction is getting more points than you are.

Its kinda like the Harry Potter house system combined with a really simple game of Risk.

TLDR: Faction war doesn't matter, ignore it, just pay attention to your orders so you can get steel.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Zaphod42 posted:

Every time you play a match, you can deploy 'war assets' in the regions that battle type currently falls under. You can manually pick which region, and you generate some 'assets' each match based on your performance.

TLDR: Faction war doesn't matter, ignore it, just pay attention to your orders so you can get steel.

You can actually deploy wherever your faction has a "front". When you go to deploy just zoom out (B on my controller) and pick a different front. So if you're doing 1v1 you can still dump your war assets into the domination zone if you want.

I'm not sure why I typed all that because it truly doesn't matter.