Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm doing a free trial of amazon prime because I bought an airbrush and wanted it FAST and now that I have prime for a month I want to SHOP and BUY THINGS but amazon.ca is absolute trash and has nothing good and all at over above-retail prices. gently caress you canada.

Like the paints wanted to buy are more expensive on amazon.ca than they are in my horribly marked up local hobby shop, and that's before shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Isn't the whole point of Amazon Prime that the shipping is paid for?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Isn't the whole point of Amazon Prime that the shipping is paid for?

Only for things that apply, and in Canada that seems few and far between.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronjutter posted:

I'm doing a free trial of amazon prime because I bought an airbrush and wanted it FAST and now that I have prime for a month I want to SHOP and BUY THINGS but amazon.ca is absolute trash and has nothing good and all at over above-retail prices. gently caress you canada.

Like the paints wanted to buy are more expensive on amazon.ca than they are in my horribly marked up local hobby shop, and that's before shipping.

Hobby stuff on Amazon is in general not well priced. I bought a decent amount of stuff there in the recent past (got Amazon gift certs from frequent flyer miles, so even paying retail was okay) and couldn't believe how bad they were. 5-10% discount is dogshit for hobby stuff online, especially when there are online retailers that you can get a consistent 25-30% off anything with fixed shipping costs or even free shipping over a fixed value. The several cancelled items I tried to purchase (i.e. cancel an item, then immediately relist at a higher price) didn't help with my trust of the system.

Of course this is in CONUS. I've heard nothing but bad things about Canadian customs and domestic shipping options, and I have no reason to think Amazon would be any more able to solve this issue than any other retailer.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Does that discount apply to fresh produce? Cause drat, I'd be all over that.

Hell yeah it does. The only thing I buy there regularly that they've never given me a discount on is drinks from the starbucks kiosk, which I understand. I don't like it, but I understand.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even in the US, I've been having this experience lately where there's more and more things I get that aren't eligible for the free shipping, and they seem to be making a big push towards yelling at you to pay extra $$$ to get same or one day shipping instead. The only reason I have Prime now is because the type/quantity of streaming movies that are always "included with Prime" are right up my alley. Like if they dropped all the martial arts flicks and crazy Italian movies I wouldn't have Prime at all.

rkajdi posted:

Hobby stuff on Amazon is in general not well priced. I bought a decent amount of stuff there in the recent past (got Amazon gift certs from frequent flyer miles, so even paying retail was okay) and couldn't believe how bad they were. 5-10% discount is dogshit for hobby stuff online, especially when there are online retailers that you can get a consistent 25-30% off anything with fixed shipping costs or even free shipping over a fixed value. The several cancelled items I tried to purchase (i.e. cancel an item, then immediately relist at a higher price) didn't help with my trust of the system.

Of course this is in CONUS. I've heard nothing but bad things about Canadian customs and domestic shipping options, and I have no reason to think Amazon would be any more able to solve this issue than any other retailer.

For a lot of that stuff that's serviced by Amazon itself they actually buy it directly from those other sites/stores and then mark it up but give that small "discount" so it looks like a deal to someone who only uses Amazon. In some cases the original way lower price tag from another store will still be on the product when you get it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 10, 2017

k stone
Aug 30, 2009

twodot posted:

I mean, clearly, people are going to try to layout a store to maximize profits, whether that means minimizing costs on refrigeration/spoilage/labor or maximizing what get's purchased. I'm questioning 1) Whether there can even sensibly exist hard and fast rules to do that and 2) Where people have come to conclusions is it just "common sense" or the result of actual rigorous research.

My post seems to have gotten lost / totally ignored in the initial pile-up, but yes, I used to work for a consulting firm that implemented a formula in a bunch of large national chains that was used to estimate how discounts and shelf-layout influenced cross-sales (ie, going to the store to buy one thing and ending up with other things in a different category) and up-sales (causing people to buy a different brand in the same category that cost more). The brands that you see on the shelves in a store actually paid for that space -- it costs more to have items placed at eye-level than on the bottom shelf, for example.

These aren't scientific laws done with the rigor of a laboratory, but they don't need to be. Having rough estimates of whether your discounts / shelving are increasing or decreasing your profits is worth millions of dollars for a large chain. Large corporations are massively inefficient and do stupid irrational poo poo all the time, yes, but they do actually care about their profits, and they don't need perfect scientific knowledge to increase their profits. This is why consulting firms exist (well, that and so higher-ups can make unpopular decisions and blame them on outside recommendations).

k stone fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 10, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

"This general statement can't be true!" the expert smirked, "I've found an exception!"

Yes, marketing is an actual field of study.
For something is for sure a real field of study there's an awful lot of people posting one liners, and not a lot of studies. I wouldn't reply to an actual set of data with individual counter-examples.

k stone posted:

My post seems to have gotten lost / totally ignored in the initial pile-up, but yes, I used to work for a consulting firm that implemented a formula in a bunch of the largest national chains that was used to estimate how discounts and shelf-layout influenced cross-sales (ie, going to the store to buy one thing and ending up with other things in a different category) and up-sales (causing people to buy a different brand in the same category that cost more). The brands that you see on the shelves in a store actually paid for that space -- it costs more to have items placed at eye-level than on the bottom shelf, for example.

These aren't scientific laws done with the rigor of a laboratory, but they don't need to be. Having rough estimates of whether your discounts / shelving are increasing or decreasing your profits is worth millions of dollars for a large chain. Large corporations are massively inefficient and do stupid irrational poo poo all the time, yes, but they do actually care about their profits, and they don't need perfect scientific knowledge to increase their profits. This is why consulting firms exist.
It does actually need to have some rigor. The fact that brands are willing to pay more for shelf placement doesn't demonstrate that shelf placement matters. And don't get me wrong I'd be shocked if it didn't matter, but thinking "People can more easily see things at eye level, therefore people are more likely to buy things at eye level" doesn't constitute a field of study. The fact that the industry has found some rough correlations it thinks are useful is fine, but it's not research.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

For something is for sure a real field of study there's an awful lot of people posting one liners, and not a lot of studies. I wouldn't reply to an actual set of data with individual counter-examples.

It does actually need to have some rigor. The fact that brands are willing to pay more for shelf placement doesn't demonstrate that shelf placement matters. And don't get me wrong I'd be shocked if it didn't matter, but thinking "People can more easily see things at eye level, therefore people are more likely to buy things at eye level" doesn't constitute a field of study. The fact that the industry has found some rough correlations it thinks are useful is fine, but it's not research.

Do your own homework you insufferable twat.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Do your own homework you insufferable twat.

I'm not trying to defend twodot here, but I'll certainly admit that given the state of business writing, it's really difficult to "do your own research" when the vast majority of business literature out there is little more than poo poo someone made up and pretended was real. That, and for every story about businesses being really smart and precise in their use of data, I see others that talk about how they're too lazy or lack the skills needed to perform such analyses.

I don't expect you to fill in those holes, but there is a ton of garbage out there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anyone that has that data isn't going to be violating an NDA to post it on a comedy forum. Thats the Crown Jewels to retailers.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It doesn't take violating an NDA to answer the question "is marketing a field of study" when someone is discussing their marketing degree in this very thread.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Be careful with the store cards. They sell your info. Up here in Seattle King was sending : you need to license your pets mailers, based on purchased loyalty card info. I can't find where I read it because it's been a couple years but insurance companies will buy it too.

Most places will give you a card without taking your information if one is persistent.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrandorKP posted:

Be careful with the store cards. They sell your info. Up here in Seattle King was sending : you need to license your pets mailers, based on purchased loyalty card info. I can't find where I read it because it's been a couple years but insurance companies will buy it too.

Most places will give you a card without taking your information if one is persistent.

That store card's registered to the address of a house I rented a room in nearly 10 years ago so: Good luck, nerds.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Anyone that has that data isn't going to be violating an NDA to post it on a comedy forum. Thats the Crown Jewels to retailers.
We wouldn't need private data just stuff like "An algorithm that take a public store map and calculates the number of display points a shopper needs to pass to find a particular item", "a random sampling of grocery stores and lists of display points per staple item", "a statistical analysis of successful and failed grocery stores and whether we can observe differences in places with staples that are behind display points or not". This is all public information.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

It doesn't take violating an NDA to answer the question "is marketing a field of study" when someone is discussing their marketing degree in this very thread.

If I'm remembering the NDA I signed for my one retail client correctly I can't even acknowledge what factors they used or did not use in laying out the store. Or evaluating real estate or customer segmentation.

Those were like the three things they guarded super closely. I only had access to them because I already had carte blanche to the systems due to some legal stuff I was doing.

I had less paperwork and cloak and dagger poo poo when I was working on pacemakers than those areas.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twodot posted:

We wouldn't need private data just stuff like "An algorithm that take a public store map and calculates the number of display points a shopper needs to pass to find a particular item", "a random sampling of grocery stores and lists of display points per staple item", "a statistical analysis of successful and failed grocery stores and whether we can observe differences in places with staples that are behind display points or not". This is all public information.

http://waset.org/publications/2256/study-on-the-design-of-supermarket-store-layouts-the-principle-of-sales-magnet-

Literally on the first page of results for googling "grocery store layout study."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Xae posted:

If I'm remembering the NDA I signed for my one retail client correctly I can't even acknowledge what factors they used or did not use in laying out the store. Or evaluating real estate or customer segmentation.

Those were like the three things they guarded super closely. I only had access to them because I already had carte blanche to the systems due to some legal stuff I was doing.

I had less paperwork and cloak and dagger poo poo when I was working on pacemakers than those areas.

Yeah I get it, I'm under similar restrictions in my line of work, and that's just bullshit about film sales. Under no circumstances may the general public know that old white people like movies with old white people in them.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Take aways from this:
There are exactly two layouts of new grocery store construction, one is used by 92% of stores, the other by the remaining 8% (with only minor differences) making it effectively impossible to measure any difference in the efficacy in layouts.
"We surveyed 127 people in two stores in Fukushima for 113 minutes. What's sampling bias and error bars?"
"We've just taken it as a given that circulation and drop by rates are good"
"Even though the minority layout has pretty similar sales per square meters, we've declared the majority layout to be better, because circulation and drop by rates are objectively good, who needs to analyze sales?"

This is terrible. Why would you expect the first page of results to have good work in it? The paper is not even complete.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 10, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not trying to defend twodot here, but I'll certainly admit that given the state of business writing, it's really difficult to "do your own research" when the vast majority of business literature out there is little more than poo poo someone made up and pretended was real. That, and for every story about businesses being really smart and precise in their use of data, I see others that talk about how they're too lazy or lack the skills needed to perform such analyses.

I don't expect you to fill in those holes, but there is a ton of garbage out there.

I've seen both in grad school. They weren't trying to teach how to do a deep analysis. They wanted to have broadly educated people who could examine the analysis in the larger context of the business and the business' context of society.

Operations research and systems thinking are pretty rigorous, but I'd say a lot of business people would have avoided those classes, even though they're the concepts that would matter most. A good program forces them to take those subjects.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

Take aways from this:
There are exactly two layouts of new grocery store construction, one is used by 92% of stores, the other by the remaining 8% (with only minor differences) making it effectively impossible to measure any difference in the efficacy in layouts.
"We surveyed a subset of 127 people in two stores in Fukushima for 113 minutes. What's sampling bias and error bars?"
"Even though the minority layout has pretty similar sales per square meters, we've declared the majority layout to be better, because circulation and drop by rates are objectively good, who needs to analyze sales?"

This is terrible. Why would you expect the first page of results to have good work in it? The paper is not even complete.

Then click another google result you whiny prick.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

twodot posted:

Take aways from this:
"We surveyed a subset of 127 people in two stores in Fukushima for 113 minutes. What's sampling bias and error bars?"

So go do more of your own research. You were implying that no one even does studies on this, I pointed to you to one, there are more.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Andrew Wakefield proves that medicine does not exist.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
More rigor requires more money, more money leads to information being more proprietary, proprietary information tends to be covered by NDAs and the like.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

WampaLord posted:

So go do more of your own research. You were implying that no one even does studies on this, I pointed to you to one, there are more.
No I was implying that the only studies done on this were done with no rigor or methodology and only served to justify decisions that have already been made, which is what your paper demonstrates.

Then click another google result you whiny prick.
You realize there's an arbitrary amount of terrible research out there, right? It would be almost trivial for me to post a dozen "studies" that have blatant flaws, and just declare myself correct.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

No I was implying that the only studies done on this were done with no rigor or methodology and only served to justify decisions that have already been made, which is what your paper demonstrates.

You realize there's an arbitrary amount of terrible research out there, right? It would be almost trivial for me to post a dozen "studies" that have blatant flaws, and just declare myself correct.

Then loving do it already, do you think you're convincing anyone one way or another? Whatever this means to you and your shriveled goony soul, it means nothing to the rest of us. Rest up for the next godawful tantrum you plan on throwing.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer posted:

this is the real poo poo right here

I don't know why people think Planet Money is some sort of arbiter of truth, it's largely anti-disability, pro-neoliberal, bank-apologizing bullshit

Baronjutter posted:

It's 99% this. Dairy is generally stocked from behind and part of a larger chiller room which is obviously part of the larger stock/storage area which generally tends to be at the back of the store. I've done some plans for a supermarket with the dairy along the side. Why? Because that's the side of the building where the loading docks were.

Sooooo one might wonder why frozen foods, which would benefit from the same placement and often have MANY times the frontage of dairy, don't have this setup (because you're wrong, it's about increasing the average per-basket purchase)

call to action fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 10, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Twodot demands a study for any recieved knowledge, he then quibbles about any study that gets pointed to. It's either his gimmick, irritating personal flaw, or intentional troll. I don't know which.

He also seems to not be able to understand that not all discussions are debates. He wants a correct side and an incorrect side. Talking and exploring personal experiences and ideas without trying to gut what the other person is saying is verboten.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BrandorKP posted:

Twodot demands a study for any recieved knowledge, he then quibbles about any study that gets pointed to. It's either his gimmick, irritating personal flaw, or intentional troll. I don't know which.

He also seems to not be able to understand that not all discussions are debates. He wants a correct side and an incorrect side. Talking and exploring personal experiences and ideas without trying to gut what the other person is saying is verboten.

Hahaha so he has absolutely no confidence in his own ability to analyze information and assumes no one else does either. Most of the worst goons have that same strange impairment in modeling other people's thought processes.

"Why do these thousands of businesses owned by hundreds of people and operated by thousands more for the better part of a century do things the way they do?"
"Well, my personal observations are-"
"I've worked in this industry and-"

"NO! There's only ONE answer! Show me it! No, in a scientific study! No, not that one! All of you google right goddamn now and bring me the proof that MY opinion is right and all of you are stupid jerks!"

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 10, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There's a Shopping Center near me that is a future retail graveyard.

They keep putting up signs that say "We are not closing!" and it feels weirdly defensive. I have no idea what they are going to do with all this space when they do.

It's a:

- Sears
- Sears Automotive
- K-Mart
- Payless Shoes
- Auntie Anne's
- Advance Autoparts
- JC Penny's
- GAP
- 5 Guys
- A bowling alley
- A local pizza place

The Sears Automotive Center is closing down, but none of the rest are yet.

It's a huge piece of real estate, but other than being right off the highway it's not a great location.

I have a feeling that the food places are going bankrupt very quickly unless they get the empty spots filled fast. Nobody is going to want to drive down the highway to get pretzels or pizza pickup. Those places survive on incidental foot traffic.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 10, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Do you also not realize bad studies not only exist, but are common? It wouldn't make any sense to ask for evidence, but then just accept any evidence offered, no matter how bad.

quote:

"Why do grocery stores put milk in the back" is a question with an answer. If people want talk about the time they moved milk around a store, fine, but if they're claiming to not only know the answer to that question, but also have that knowledge backed up by formal training in a robust field of study, they should have some evidence. And that evidence should be a lot better than a half finished paper about the time some grad students tracked shoppers for less than two hours.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's a Shopping Center near me that is a future retail graveyard.

They keep putting up signs that say "We are not closing!" and it feels weirdly defensive. I have no idea what they are going to do with all this space when they do.

It's a:

- Sears
- Sears Automotive
- K-Mart
- Payless Shoes
- Auntie Anne's
- Advance Autoparts
- JC Penny's
- GAP
- 5 Guys
- A bowling alley
- A local pizza place

The Sears Automotive Center is closing down, but none of the rest are yet.

It's a huge piece of real estate, but other than being right off the highway it's not a great location.

I have a feeling that the food places are going bankrupt very quickly unless they get the empty spots filled fast. Nobody is going to want to drive down the highway to get pretzels or pizza pickup. Those places survive on incidental foot traffic.

5 Guys keeps ending up in doomed strip malls like that, I think because they expanded so rapidly in the last few years. I think there's a good chance they'll be seen as a harbinger of imminent retail death soon, just like how you really didn't want to rent space in a strip mall anchored by a Blockbuster in the early 2000s

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twodot posted:

"Why do grocery stores put milk in the back" is a question with an answer.

It's a question with multiple answers, many of which we were discussing before you crab-walked in here screeching.

Twodot do you believe it's possible for a fact to exist if it hasn't been published in a formal study?

Furthermore, if it's so goddamn vital to your mental health to have scientific studies to back up every thought that has the misfortune to burble through your brain, why don't you shell out for a subscription to a journal service instead of expecting everybody to spend their time and money satisfying your demands?

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 10, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

5 Guys keeps ending up in doomed strip malls like that, I think because they expanded so rapidly in the last few years. I think there's a good chance they'll be seen as a harbinger of imminent retail death soon, just like how you really didn't want to rent space in a strip mall anchored by a Blockbuster in the early 2000s

Good, they cost twice as much as they should

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

twodot posted:

"Why do grocery stores put milk in the back" is a question with an answer.

Have you considered the possibility that the answer to that question is not publicly available because shockingly, it could provide a competitive advantage so the companies who did the research don't want it going out there for free to their competitors?

There's plenty of stuff that is known but is not accessible to Joe/Jane Public because of the $$$ side of things.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Good, they cost twice as much as they should

They so do, I went for the first time a few weeks ago and a combo was like 16 bucks, what the hell?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

They so do, I went for the first time a few weeks ago and a combo was like 16 bucks, what the hell?

It's insane, and the burgers are not even close to being good enough to justify that price. poo poo, they cook them all well done!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

In non grocery store design news,

Abercrombie sale is off the table, so who knows what's going on there.

Still closing more stores though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

It's insane, and the burgers are not even close to being good enough to justify that price. poo poo, they cook them all well done!

Someone I know calls it "all the quality of a McDonald's with all the price of a captive audience airport restaurant".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Five Guys rules, gently caress y'all