Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
apparently it's possible to detect if a file is vulnerable to this type of attack, so i guess that's good

quote:

counter-cryptanalysis... is able to detect known and unknown SHA-1 cryptanalytic collision attacks given just a single file from a colliding file pair

crypto is kinda voodoo to me. is there a tldr on this for an idiot anywhere? could this detection be bypassed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on phone so can't check, has some new weakness been found or is it just the march of hardware?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

on phone so can't check, has some new weakness been found or is it just the march of hardware?
both, mainly latter

its 10^5 faster than bruteforce, but still a massive undertaking

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

redleader posted:

crypto is kinda voodoo to me. is there a tldr on this for an idiot anywhere? could this detection be bypassed?

the tl;dr is "math"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it sounds like an actual weakness, like maybe certain prefixes in the source data can limit or skew what hashes you'll get

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rjmccall posted:

it sounds like an actual weakness, like maybe certain prefixes in the source data can limit or skew what hashes you'll get
that weakness is adobe

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

spankmeister posted:

The web sight is getting rekt but SHA-1 is now officially completely broken:

https://www.shattered.io/

e: a mirror I guess http://shattered.it/

:popeye:

we knew it was coming but this is still fuckin cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

i work for a company with an iot gateway that by default blocks all incoming connections on whatever the wan interface is detected as

guess what the number one question for the gateways is

probably ssh logins? or if its web probably some php admin login.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that weakness is adobe

eh, almost every document format has some way of throwing extra crap in it that won't get interpreted by default. pdf is definitely a secfuck, but is there some reason that this collision is actually pdf-specific?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bicycle posted:

just go to congress and bring a bottle of booze and share it and have fun and pick up some free stickers and buy a tor t shirt or w.e and pretend youre a hacker or speak to smart people who arent actually trying to hire you or sell you poo poo and have fun and give a gently caress about the culture and avoid ioerror supporters and stop expecting the industry to give you tons of free drinks just for showing up and just provide the kicking rad party yourself hth

looking forward to SHA 2017 this summer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

probably ssh logins? or if its web probably some php admin login.

yeah basically "how do I expose the default logins to the entire world?"

burning swine
May 26, 2004

sha1 is dead

long live sha1

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

eh, almost every document format has some way of throwing extra crap in it that won't get interpreted by default. pdf is definitely a secfuck, but is there some reason that this collision is actually pdf-specific?

afaik it's just easiest to demo the exploit on PDF's and PDF has a built in document signing system that is supposed to prove your document is valid that this presumably undermines and that could affect like real world contracts and stuff idk

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
aight, that's what i figured

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/dchest/status/834808975556239360

owns

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
someone tell Valerie Aurora to update the page though

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

someone tell Valerie Aurora to update the page though
https://twitter.com/vaurorapub/status/834831383675625473

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
she updated the copyright at the bottom too :toot:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://github.com/cr-marcstevens/sha1collisiondetection

quote:

There are two programs bin/sha1dc and bin/sha1dc_partialcoll. The first program bin/sha1dc will detect and warn for files that were generated with a cryptanalytic SHA-1 collision attack (of which there are no public examples so far). The second program bin/sha1dc_partialcoll will detect and warn for files that were generated with a cryptanalytic collision attack against reduced-round SHA-1 (of which there are a few examples so far).
:nsa:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

a year now will be a month in few years

case in point, from the amd thread:

:v:
maybe amd will finally be good again and the rate of progress will increase, as intel/nvidia get off their collective butts

tangentially related, there's bound to be good bugs in early zen, a completely new arch waiting to be exploited. especially seeing how they're basically soc now, there's barely anything off the package. can't wait

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

case in point, from the amd thread:

:v:
maybe amd will finally be good again and the rate of progress will increase, as intel/nvidia get off their collective butts

tangentially related, there's bound to be good bugs in early zen, a completely new arch waiting to be exploited. especially seeing how they're basically soc now, there's barely anything off the package. can't wait
ryzen 3 ryzen 7 7100

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

what does 110gpu/year processing mean in real world dollars?

i imagine it varies because legit actors will pay for cloud processing which is probably more expensive but more efficient, while criminals/APTs will use botnet computing which is cheaper but less efficient?

According to the actual paper the 110 GPU years number is scaled to GTX 970 performance levels because that's what they used for development, but the actual work was done on Tesla K-series hardware.

The GTX 970 is the most popular GPU among Steam users, so a botnet of gaming PCs could be a real threat. ~1500 machines with GTX 970s could do it in under a month assuming things scale linearly.

coffeetable posted:

~$50k on AWS spot GPU instances i think.

anyone who wanted to do this on an industrial scale would follow bitcoin's lead and design ASICs to do the hashing. that gets you a >thousand fold speed up over a GPU, for a similar per-unit cost.

In the paper they said about $500,000 to get it done the fastest using on demand P instances and around $100,000 if you're more patient using spot pricing on G instances.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there's a use-after-free vulnerability in a linux kernel module https://access.redhat.com/node/2934281

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Larry David fainting .gif

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

my appetite is certainly whet for the first serious sha-2 weakening, as it'd not take much to make bitcoin untenable. certainly far less than anything that'd realistically yield collisions (plenty to make asics less profitable compared to a more sophisticated implementation, making chinese miners throw a fit, and even more deliciously it is likely to make some hashes easier than others to collide, making the 10 minutes per block mean no longer hold)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

my appetite is certainly whet for the first serious sha-2 weakening, as it'd not take much to make bitcoin untenable. certainly far less than anything that'd realistically yield collisions (plenty to make asics less profitable compared to a more sophisticated implementation, making chinese miners throw a fit, and even more deliciously it is likely to make some hashes easier than others to collide, making the 10 minutes per block mean no longer hold)
same as hell

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Looks like it isn't as alarming as all that:

https://twitter.com/lepht/status/834824125260636162

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
yeah having used spot instances for a lot of stuff the pricing can vary wildly all the time. a fun correlation but thats all it is

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

i thought it was less meant to be alarming, more to be like "lol look at everyone trying to do it all of a sudden and then realizing they can't afford it"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

good luck doing it from scratch in that timeframe, public disclosure of the code is in 90 days

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

good luck doing it from scratch in that timeframe, public disclosure of the code is in 90 days
https://twitter.com/arw/status/834883944898125824

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

my point was on the initial hour of publicity and aws price surging - you're not spinning up aws instances to generate a collision from scratch within the hour from no code. still that's some really quick turnaround time into working the poc into fun times with html parsing

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

my point was on the initial hour of publicity and aws price surging - you're not spinning up aws instances to generate a collision from scratch within the hour from no code. still that's some really quick turnaround time into working the poc into fun times with html parsing

It's not too exciting, he's literally just copy pasted the POC collision into two html documents that are otherwise identical.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

owns owns owns

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

cloudflare reverse proxies are dumping uninitialized memory: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

cloudflare reverse proxies are dumping uninitialized memory: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139

loving hell :stare:

quote:

We fetched a few live samples, and we observed encryption keys, cookies, passwords, chunks of POST data and even HTTPS requests for other major cloudflare-hosted sites from other users. Once we understood what we were seeing and the implications, we immediately stopped and contacted cloudflare security.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

taviso posted:

It looked like that if an html page hosted behind cloudflare had a specific combination of unbalanced tags, the proxy would intersperse pages of uninitialized memory into the output

loving lol

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
"We've discovered (and purged) cached pages that contain private messages from well-known services, PII from major sites that use cloudflare, and even plaintext API requests from a popular password manager that were sent over https (!!)."

Nice, nice

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Cloudflare pointed out their bug bounty program, but I noticed it has a top-tier reward of a t-shirt.

https://hackerone.com/cloudflare

Needless to say, this did not convey to me that they take the program seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

anthonypants posted:

Needless to say, this did not convey to me that they take the program seriously.

Savage

• Locked thread