Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
That’s a good point, I made the mistake of putting together a post-taboo Mandy/Rook/Pendant deck for Return Carcossa a few weeks ago and it still utterly trivializes the game, so I can see wanting to try something different out. Never played another scenario after getting that deck going.

While Merging Timelines is probably marginally less annoying than the card I think it replaced, it’s still not my favorite from a design perspectives since it’s so random. The Lord of the Rings LCG used a similar mechanic in a few scenarios, although there it was feasible to tech against it by running a deck of all singletons.

I wonder if running Fool Me Once in Nathanial or Forewarned in Trish might be worth it, since you don’t have access to Ward? Might be of help versus Ancient Evils type treacheries, and Forewarned has some mild synergy with Trish’s ability. I used forewarned in Trish in one of my TFA runs, and I’m still on the fence about it, but it has potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've played with Fool Me Once before and it was pretty good, and I've definitely considered it in this run. I feel like I have 1-2 slots open for mythos phase tricks so it might make it in on the next run through. The way I'm playing at the moment is a kind of Bronzeman run; if one of my two investigators gets killed (not defeated) I'll continue onto the next scenario or replay the same one twice just to familiarize myself with it more, then go back to the beginning.

My goal is to create an optimized pair of decks for the RtTFA campaign and then do a Hard Ironman runthrough. I'm pretty happy with my 0XP decks, but experimenting with upgrade paths is a whole other puzzle to solve. I know I'm not using the best investigators for the campaign (well, Trish is probably fine anywhere, but Nathaniel is a bit out of his element) but that just makes it more interesting. I've replayed the early scenarios so many times now I have a pretty good feel for the variance in them (The Untamed Wilds is still... wild) which mostly boils down to how much asset protection/recovery I can afford for Nathaniel while still having an effective deck that cycles efficiently.

One change I'm leaning towards is Stand Together (and its upgraded version). Nathaniel has quite a lot of free time in some of these scenarios, and Trish's deck craves all the money and cards it can get, plus it can be tutored by the gloves, so I think it's a good fit. I got rid of the 2 x Evidence for some upgrades and I think that was a mistake too. I'd like to see how Scene of the Crime feels after some of his fast action upgrades, too, as it probably makes it a lot easier to plan a turn where you want to deal damage but not take any.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Are mystics screwed out of reliable attack spell access without a second core or the purple starter deck?

Some of the other expansions, notably the Dunwich Legacy (2 different upgraded Shriveling cards), as well as a couple of others, contain a bunch of different fighting assets for Mystics that aren't from the core set and Jacqueline's starter set. The starter sets all contain generally powerful cards, though, so it may be worth picking up in any case.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The timeline shift scenario is one of the worst in the game, in terms of going back-and-forth in terms of completion objectives. No other scenario equally re-trivializes the work you do as you do it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kalko posted:

Yeah, I did the whole Pendant thing with Mandy before the latest taboo list, and it was fun but also the most busted thing I've ever experienced so I don't want to return to that right away. I put the Cipher back into my deck and I'm feeling better about it now. It's not amazing or anything, but it's pretty solid. I'll do a write-up of my campaign when I finish but I just have to mention the Boundary Beyond I just did, which I can only describe as a critical fail.

Basically, I just couldn't stop pulling the heart thing token, so clues kept getting added to the one ancient location I managed to explore successfully. Trish pulled eleven clues off it, the last one right before the second agenda advanced. Also on that final turn, she drew Unspeakable Oath (Curiosity) which normally wouldn't have been a problem, but when the agenda advanced every location gained clues and Padma Amrita entered play.

Also, just for laughs, we were both at the same location where this was forced into play : Lake Xochimilco, so we lost our whole turn. I couldn't choose the other variant to put into play because it entered the victory display (and it would've defeated Trish anyway with the direct horror).

Nathaniel had a horror start to that game too, cycling two Moris and not finding any gloves, though to be fair that was partly due to the 'two fewer cards in your opening hand' effect from taking the path against Ichtaca. I really wanted a SttP here but I didn't get enough XP from the previous scenario for it. I'm starting to think I do need at least 1 x Prepared for the Worst from the beginning just to eventually be able to put it under my SttP, even with the Moris. This scenario also has Merging Timelines to discard the gloves directly from my deck.

It also has Timeline Destabilization which neither of us have a realistic chance of passing consistently, which is why I was kind of only aiming to clear two ancient locations in total.

I think SttP is basically a core card for Cho. Not just for Prepared, but basically all the fight/damage actions can be placed under there, so it really helps a lot with consistency.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I understand that TFA is old and that making GBS threads on it might be something like a tiresome cliche, but goddamn.

I played Heart of the Elders today for three hours (solo two-handed) and managed to make no progress, save for passing the first act. Now every time I reset there's an rear end in a top hat acting like a real dick right there in the starting location.

I understand I'm having a rough go of it because I stubbornly went with two low-agility investigators, but even so everything just feels so punishing and galling.

How practical is it to try and avoid being poisoned? From the outset I said to hell with it, let myself get and stay poisoned, because it always seems like I'm burning so many resources on avoiding the poison when it winds up being practically inevitable anyway.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You’re probably going to get poisoned, but return to fixes that in a few ways.

If I’m running four players, someone always has to bring medicine. The guardian will probably stay poisoned until it can be healed. It’s why ppl love Stella.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 14, 2021

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I never got poisoned on my first blind playthrough of TFA.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Avoiding poison is good (and there's a nasty trick the first scenario plays on you) but if you can't just make sure and grab medicine. Also while agility is a bit more important, don't be too afraid to just kill stuff. Vengeance makes everything more difficult and don't be unnecessarily loose with it but i know during our last playthrough we didn't even worry about it much and were fairly free killing things.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If you have the Obol, absolutely care about vengeance.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Llyranor posted:

I never got poisoned on my first blind playthrough of TFA.

Well this makes me feel like human garbage!

I think I'm just not very good at this game.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Nah, I'd say it's very rare to avoid poison on your first go. Sometimes you just draw the auto-fail and can't avoid it either. Just make sure you bring enough medicine.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
It's also just the luck of the draw of the encounter deck

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I played Sefina the first time, So between high text Darity and cancels, I imagine that poisons was no big deal.

Just played horror in high gear. It took us a few attempts to get it right, but when we did, it was very exciting*. Silas is clutch in this campaign, because there are many, many enemies that might be worth evading over killing.

*If you’re driving, you have to move, but it’s possible to defeat the scenario without going super fast. You can get clues without turning off the cars!

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

If you have the Obol, absolutely care about vengeance.

I ran the Obol on Tony in our last playthrough and also went for the 20 serpents killed "achievement".

My main point was that I think people get caught up a bit too much worrying about having agility/not fighting during TFA and end up making things more difficult.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

alansmithee posted:

I ran the Obol on Tony in our last playthrough and also went for the 20 serpents killed "achievement".

My main point was that I think people get caught up a bit too much worrying about having agility/not fighting during TFA and end up making things more difficult.

How did you get through Yoth? I guess with Tony you just killed your way through? But how do you survive drawing three encounter cards a turn?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Finished my Return to The Forgotten Age campaign earlier today. I ended up playing the first few scenarios a bunch more times sorting out my 0XP decks and their first few upgrades, then I went through to the end. I've only played TFA once before and failed on the final scenario, so I can't say how most of the Return cards affect things much, but in general it feels like it simply adds variety to the later scenarios, and the replacement card sets are pretty much all improvements on what came before. Also, I didn't actually know which choices led to the bonus scenario at the end otherwise I probably would've opted for that path. Oh well, something for next time.

So here are the decks in their initial forms, with only a few changes from my earlier post about them.

Nathaniel Cho (0XP)

Tetsuo Mori x 2 -> Prepared for the Worst x 2

Mori can tutor the Gloves plus other things like the Handcuffs or whatever Trish needs, and he provides some good group soak, but really for Nathaniel the thing that matters most is getting the Gloves out quickly, so these slots gave way to Prepared for the Worst.

On the Hunt x 2 -> Steadfast x 2

On the Hunt had recently taken the place of First Watch, which is good but not great, at least with two players. On the Hunt can 'protect' you from a treachery and it has synergy with Scene of the Crime, but there are a lot of enemies you don't actually want to fight in TFA, and while this deck is almost exclusively designed around fighting things Nathaniel also had other jobs from time to time (more on this later). Steadfast is here for its combat icons, which are really important for Nathaniel, and also for the Willpower check that poisons you in The Untamed Wilds when the first agenda advances. It will be replaced in the first upgrade round.

Safeguard x 1 -> Stand Together x 1

Safeguard is good but not essential by any means, and I wanted at least one Stand Together, so this is the slot it took.

Why did I want Stand Together? Well, one thing I found with Nathaniel is that with such a large number of fighting events and support skills, when there's nothing to actually fight your hand tends to fill up and you end up having to discard. This happened often enough for me to rethink some of the flex slots, which in this case is the handful of slots not dedicated to fighting or fight support. I wanted something that I can just play when I draw it, and while Stand Together is slightly situational, in practice it's easy enough to create that situation without any opportunity cost. And if it has to stay in your hand for a while that's probably because you were fighting, in which case there's room for it. And, of course, it's a Spirit event so it can be tutored.

Trish Scarborough (0XP)

I don't remember exactly what I replaced for the following cards, but I remember scanning a lot of random net decks and the main discord for ideas. In my earlier versions I felt I was lacking card draw and I had too much enemy management, but in the end I decided to stick with Practice Makes Perfect because it's a kind of card draw and I had access to the upgraded Perception and Deduction. I gave Pickpocketing some thought, but with the way most games played out I don't think it would've actually got much use beyond the first couple of scenarios.

This deck probably looks bad in a vacuum, and maybe it is, but most of the choices made sense to me in the context of this two-handed game with Nathaniel being almost exclusively focused on enemy management. Trish is the opposite, and while I probably would have made some other changes in hindsight, it was a good learning experience for a role I don't usually play in this game.

Followed x 2

I avoided putting in any other investigate events which didn't have a built-in boost because I wasn't planning to take an early Streetwise (3). The boost you get from Followed wasn't relevant because it was rare for an enemy to survive a turn with damage on it (with one exception) - it was here for the extra clue and the flexibility from the AoO avoidance. I was pretty happy with it overall, but I did replace it before the end.

Plan of Action x 2

Practice Makes Perfect doesn't quite work with only four Practiced events in the deck, and out of the available options this is the only one that really made sense. It was actually pretty good, but again I replaced it before the end. In the Mythos Phase its double Agility is pretty relevant with so many tests against that stat. A score of six gives you a good chance to pass all of the Agility tests in the campaign (I don't think any of them test at higher than three) though it does depend a bit on exactly which scenario and which extra tokens have been added to the bag.

Manual Dexterity x 2

Flex slots that were replaced early, but very useful in the first two scenarios.

And now for the campaign...

Supplies :

Nathaniel : Map (3), Torches (3), Pendant (1)

So, when he wasn't busy punching things it was Nathaniel's job to sort the exploration deck and also to do most of the exploring. A Pendant is pretty essential for him as he has basically zero chance of getting out of the alien city later on without it.

Trish : Compass (2), Chalk (2), Binoculars (2), Provisions (1)

Trish carried all the things that countered investigation tempo loss, which is more important than medicine, at least for this first trip.

The Untamed Wilds

High variance even with the Return changes. I had previously played Resurgent Evils instead of Ancient but for the proper run I just said gently caress it let's go. In the event, I think it only triggered twice. My general strategy was to get the two initial 1VP locations into play as soon as possible and grab the clues from them, then try to get at least one of the 2VP temples later on. I wanted Ichtaca on our side for Nathaniel's deck so I took the parley option, which often cost a lot of resources to succeed at (I never attempted it with lower than +4). Regarding poison, the main impact it has here is the extra auto-fail token, so it's worth trying to delay that for as long as possible. As a general rule, though, I won't commit cards to a test I can't get at least +3 on, so if Nathaniel drew a Snake Bite early on, welp, that really stings!

If the vengeance snakes showed up early I tried to dump them in a location we didn't have to return to, but if that wasn't possible they just got punched. Same thing for my nemesis, the Boa Constrictor. I would try to delay the inevitable as long as possible with Slip Away or Trish's ability just to keep those Skull tokens manageable, but if he ever appeared within the first few turns he got punched the gently caress out. In the proper run I don't think he showed up at all.

Oh, we both got poisoned.

Resolution 1.
8 Victory.
3 Vengeance.
Yig's Fury : 3
Trauma : Nathaniel (2P, 1M), Trish (1P, 1M) (poison + no blanket + Nathaniel got defeated right before the end).

Nathaniel : 7XP spent, 1XP left.

Boxing Gloves (3) x 1, Steadfast x 2 -> Physical Training (2) x 2

So here's my big brain gamble : noted bad card Physical Training. Physical Training (2) is free to play, and as an asset it protects your Gloves from Crypt Chill and Tindalos Alpha. More importantly, I think it provides something Nathaniel really wants on Hard : a consistent +4 or +6 generator. When you rely on events to fight you really need them to succeed every time and there are only so many icons you can get from your skills and other non-event cards. The deck has a low curve, and I often found in the mid-to-late game Nathaniel would build up a pile of resources and have nothing to spend them on. Also, he's probably one of the few Guardians who actually wants to play Clean Them Out, which gives you resources to pump with even from an empty pool.

The other thing worth mentioning is that at this point his basic fight events are still fine for the second scenario, so I don't need to upgrade his damage yet.

Trish : 9XP spent (+2 from Binoculars), 1XP left.

Crack the Case x 2 + Manual Dexterity x 1 -> Easy Mark, Dr Milan Christopher x 2 -> Lola Santiago x 2, Magnifying Glass x 2 -> Lockpicks (1) x 2

Trish picks up her basic kit for the rest of the campaign.

The Doom of Eztli

In all of my previous runs I found that this scenario turned out to be either a cakewalk or one of those escape rooms from Saw, with nothing in between. Trish sweeps up clues so quickly you can game the Harbinger pretty easily, by which I mean you can trigger the final act and position him wherever you like for optimal confrontation chances.

This run was more on the cakewalk side of things, and in fact it went so well I decided, with four turns remaining, that Trish would resign (with the macguffin) and Nathaniel would go back three locations from the exit to the Grand Chamber and perform the action to get us another victory point. Of course, in true Arkham Horror fashion, on the following two turns he failed treacheries after revealing the heart thing which places doom on your location, so the place collapsed on him on the way back. Good thing Yig's Fury wasn't at four points or the resolution would have killed him.

Shout out to the new Snake Pit. Fun bit of top-down design.

Resolution 1.
5 Victory.
4 Vengeance.
Yig's Fury : 10 (+3 from Nathaniel's defeat).

Nathaniel : 6XP spent, 0XP left.

Stick to the Plan x 1

Trish : 6XP spent, 0XP left.

Another Day, Another Dollar x 1, Slip Away -> Forewarned x 2, Manual Dexterity -> Pathfinder.

Trish has some significant setup costs now with Lockpicks, Lola, and the Cipher, so more money seemed like the right choice, and I chose the front-loaded option so that she can hit the ground running. Slip Away is less relevant for the rest of the campaign due to the different distribution of vengeance enemies (and also as Nathaniel's damage ramps up and my care-factor for enraging Yig ramps down) and Forewarned is a good cancel for Trish since you can often make use of a clue on a location that doesn't have one. Pathfinder is going to be great value in the next scenario if I can get it into play. Actually, it's good for the rest of the campaign, except for the final scenario.

Threads of Fate

The Return version adds a new Act deck, to make four in total. It's a good addition, and the reward from the new deck is worth getting (Veda Whitsley). So without any exploration to do Nathaniel is kind of dead weight in this scenario, so I had him do everything he could to ensure Trish could move around unimpeded. I wanted to maximize my VP by clearing as many such locations as possible, but I remember getting Locked Doors on the university and police station, which was annoying.

I cleared three of the new acts : satisfying Ichtaca, recovering the relic, and gaining Veda Whitsley. The first time I did this in an earlier run I was extremely surprised by this bad boy showing up : The Secret Must Be Kept. That's the reason I wanted to take Forewarned now rather than later.

Resolution 1.
3 Victory.
10 bonus experience for removing poison or trauma, or gaining more supply points (a Return feature).
Trauma : Nathaniel -1P (1P, 1M remaining), Trish -1P (1M remaining)
Both : Cleared Poison, +1 Supply Point

Nathaniel : 3XP spent, 0XP left

Dynamite Blast (3) x 1, Ichtaca

Ichtaca provides a very valuable +1/+2 combat boost and a useful horror heal, plus good soak. I was considering Beat Cop (2) at one point, and if I wasn't taking the Ichtaca path I might've done that, but both won't work in the same deck without Charisma and I didn't want to take that.

Dynamite Blast goes under SttP. Nathaniel can hit one target for four damage and any others for three. It's real good.

Trish : Another Day, Another Dollar x 1, Veda Whitsley

Veda has a great ability and provides amazing soak for her cost, and her icons are also good for Trish.

Resupply :

Nathaniel : Provisions x 4 (4), Medicine x 1 (2)
Trish : Medicine (2), Canteen (2), Pickaxe (2)

I was less familiar with the back half of TFA and I wasn't sure what new supply-related effects Return was going to add, but since we already had most of the useful supplies and I wanted to ease up on the trauma I took Medicine this time around. Note that we didn't take any Gas, which means we can't mulligan for the first part of Heart of the Elders. But since Nathaniel now has an on-demand Prepared for the Worst this is less of an issue.

The Boundary Beyond

This is one of the few scenarios in the entire game that just feels bad to play. Not going to say much except that I wanted to clear three locations to get the bonus Ichtaca resolution effect, and I did. For some reason ArkhamDB doesn't have the new Padma Amrita, not that she's much different. She caught a stick of dynamite then got punched, and that was that.

Resolution 1.
6 Victory.
3 Vengeance.
Yig's Fury : 13.

Nathaniel : 6XP spent, 0XP left.

Counterpunch (2) x 2, Prepared for the Worst x 1 -> "I've had worse..." (2)

It's time to boost Nathaniel's damage output, and I feel like Counterpunch is the best place to start as it can double as damage prevention and gives you some flexibility in the investigation phase if you need to leave an enemy up. "I've had worse..." is another experiment I had confidence in, as two points of damage or horror is a pretty standard treachery/attack package, and it's another Spirit event that can be tutored but won't sit in my hand forever.

Trish : 6XP spent, 0XP left.

Perception (2) x 2, Deduction (2) x 1

They're not flashy upgrades, but they are important.

Heart of the Elders

Part 1

I remember having nightmares on my very first TFA run with Leo Anderson meeting swarms of Ants! (oh, hey, it's an Agility 4 test) Luckily, Nathaniel didn't run into any, and in fact from playing the Returns version of this one a few times in previous runs it just seems to be really easy now. On this run I had three pillars already but on earlier ones I only had one and I still came out of it pretty well.

Didn't have the 'mysterious scepter' from the second scenario, but it's not a huge boost if you do have it. I remember giving 2-3 enemies the run-around in a high stakes game of 'I hope this exploration is successful', but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if Nathaniel had to actually tank them for a turn or two. In the end I was able to add the three pillars I needed in one attempt.

Part 2

This one can get a bit hairy, but Trish is so good at scooping up clues now that any setbacks are short-lived. Don't remember much except that I picked up the goop (but it didn't matter in the end).

Resolution 2 (Alejandro is missing).
12 Victory.
3 Vengeance.
Yig's Fury : 16.

Nathaniel : 12XP spent, 0XP left.

One-Two Punch (5) x 2, Vicious Blow (2) x 1

Alright, if we're ever going to bag ourselves a snake god we're going to need to up our game in the ring. The upgraded One-Two Punch is a very fun card.

Trish : 12XP spent, 0XP left.

Followed x 2 -> The Gold Pocket Watch x 1, Hot Streak (2) x 1, Deduction (2) x 1

As buff as Nathaniel is getting, I think he's still going to need some help with that snake god, so let's pack our trusty pocket watch. At this point I was kind of at a loss as to what to upgrade, and after scanning through the possibilities for now and later I kind of just defaulted to Rogue_Good_Stuff.dec with the Hot Streak (in preparation for Streetwise (3)).

The City of Archives

This scenario. This scenario! It makes my head spin. The Return version adds a new wing with two new locations, increasing the number of available tasks for getting home to eight (you still only need six for the best win condition). Like in Threads of Fate, Nathaniel's inability to grab clues really makes him a liability here, especially since it's actually quite hard to kill enemies, but I made the most of it and had him do the two Combat tasks.

But yeah, when you've opened up most locations on the map and you're trying to plan out the order in which to do things so that the aloof enemies activate in the most optimal way and then they line up properly for their dynamite dinner and then you need to get rid of these treacheries in this order and also how do you maintain your hand size and... it's just overwhelming. The decision tree is like no other in any scenario I can remember playing. I worked it out in the end, though, but it was a very, very close call. Six tasks completed.

Resolution 1.
3 Victory.
Trauma : Nathaniel +1P (2P, 1M), Trish +1P (1P, 1M) (no blanket)

Nathaniel : 7XP spent, 0XP left (+4 bonus from resolution)

Overpower (2) x 2, Vicious Blow (2) x 1

Trish : 6XP spent, 1XP left (+4 bonus from resolution)

Streetwise (3) x 1

The Depths of Yoth

So yeah, about that vengeance. I had only played this one through once before in my Leo run back at release so I only had a vague notion of exactly how I would be paying for all that Yig's Fury I'd racked up. It turned out to be not that bad, at least in not-ending-the-campaign terms. My Fury threshold meant I started at Agenda 4a, which gave me just enough time to reach depth level three (five is the 'best' resolution, four is 'safe') before the big bad himself showed up.

So, Yig was in play. But Trish had a couple of guaranteed evades up her sleeve, and Nathaniel was ready.

In the end, Yig went two rounds with Nathaniel Cho, and lost.

Then, uh, we got overrun by snake dudes and fell off the bridge. But hey, we made it to level four in the end so at least we had a soft landing.

Resolution 1.
12 Victory.
9 Vengeance.
Yig's Fury : Who Cares (it's 25).
Trauma : Nathaniel +1P (3P, 1M), Trish +1P (2P, 1M).

Nathaniel : 14XP spent, 0XP left (+2 from having a Map).

1 x Scene of the Crime + "I've had worse..." (2) -> "I've had worse..." (4) x 2, "Get over here!" (2) x 2, Physical Training (4) x 2

Physical Training (2) had been good so far (it was great in City of Archives) so I wanted to try the upgrade, and "Get over here!" (2) is kind of a no-brainer and would be very useful for all of the cultists that would appear in the final scenario. I was tempted to try Monster Slayer (5) but there weren't any beefy non-elites like there are in other finales. I was going to pick up another IHW (2) but then I realized I'd probably have to fight the Formless Spawn so IHW (4) would actually let me tank it.

Trish : 12XP spent, 1XP left

Plan of Action x 2 -> Hot Streak (4) x 2, Ace in the Hole x 1

More cash for Streetwise, and a good Rogue trick.

Shattered Aeons

Final scenarios in this game tend to throw a lot of damage and horror at you and I was a bit worried at the start that I'd get overwhelmed. But things quietened down and Nathaniel sat at the Nexus and then the Pocket all game and punched (or pulled then punched) a bunch of cultists while Trish ran back and forth scooping up clues from space, or wherever we were.

Nathaniel did tank the Formless Spawn for a turn with IHW (4), but then the second time it appeared he One-Two Punched it with two Vicious Blows, which is ten damage, which is how much life it has.

We won!

Shame about not getting the bonus scenario but I guess I'll know what to do next time. Nathaniel is very fun but not an optimal pick for TFA, I think. Trish is really a Seeker in disguise and just drat efficient at everything she does. One of my favourite tricks was pulling her weakness Shadow Agents from Eureka! during an investigation, which lets you dispose of it right away (you can do the same thing if you draw it from Perception). I definitely didn't experience everything she has to offer but I think I'll play an actual Seeker next time so I can try out some of their cool high level cards.

Here are the decks in their final form, for reference :

Nathaniel Cho (54XP)

Trish Scarborough (56XP)

edit : I considered Charon's Obol for Trish but with the variance I'd experienced in some of the TFA scenarios I didn't want to risk it.

edit 2 : Removed Provisions from Nathaniel's first supply list. He actually began the second scenario on two resources.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 16, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Intriguing!
Yeah Obal killed my Trish in depths. But I resurrected her for the bonus scenario with a lot less XP.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

How did you get through Yoth? I guess with Tony you just killed your way through? But how do you survive drawing three encounter cards a turn?

Basically just powered through it. I believe our full team was Akachi, Jacqueline, Harvey, and Tony. I was able to keep most the enemies cleared off typically so everyone else could really go hard on clues.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The new Mary preview is make her completely viable and three player, but then again, we’re on standard. Enchanted weapon and Nephthys mean you can do a lot of damage without having a high fight stat, and the Winchester get you up to a seven if you’re reliably getting those bless tokens. The team won but I had to sacrifice myself in the Parisian catacombs, but otherwise it’s been a smooth ride.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I got into the game originally and did buy 2 Cores plus all of the Dunwich cycle, but I never got enough time to finish Dunwich. I eventually just sold everything off since it was sitting around.

I've started playing this game again after a long hiatus. My friend and I got through Dunwich and are now most of the way through Carcosa. Both were played on Tabletop Simulator.

Playing on TTS got me itching to play it physically again with my wife. I've looked into buying collections second hand, but everyone is valuing it higher than MSRP due to Asmodee's inconsistent reprinting driving up demand for particular Mythos Packs. Is the game really worth that much? It's essentially the price of a brand new gaming PC at this point if you want a whole collection. Heck, for that much, I could pay some programmer to add more scripting to the TTS mod.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Eventually they will make more of it. Buy as much of the product as you feel is right.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

medchem posted:

I got into the game originally and did buy 2 Cores plus all of the Dunwich cycle, but I never got enough time to finish Dunwich. I eventually just sold everything off since it was sitting around.

I've started playing this game again after a long hiatus. My friend and I got through Dunwich and are now most of the way through Carcosa. Both were played on Tabletop Simulator.

Playing on TTS got me itching to play it physically again with my wife. I've looked into buying collections second hand, but everyone is valuing it higher than MSRP due to Asmodee's inconsistent reprinting driving up demand for particular Mythos Packs. Is the game really worth that much? It's essentially the price of a brand new gaming PC at this point if you want a whole collection. Heck, for that much, I could pay some programmer to add more scripting to the TTS mod.

Arkham is a best seller for them, so yeah just buy what you want. Any collection is going to cost like what you could buy them off of Miniature Market-- if the availability was there.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Latest pack :

The Discord pointed out that Guided by the Unseen needs errata otherwise you can search your entire deck during a test.

I've been waiting for the end of the cycle before I delve into full Bless/Curse builds. First deck I'll make will be Sister Mary, hopefully with the new partially-previewed 5XP weapon if it turns out to be good. Love those fat Guardian weapons.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sacred lance looks cool, but the Winchester is also a very competent weapon, especially with enchant weapon and or custom ammo.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Kalko posted:

Latest pack :

The Discord pointed out that Guided by the Unseen needs errata otherwise you can search your entire deck during a test.

I've been waiting for the end of the cycle before I delve into full Bless/Curse builds. First deck I'll make will be Sister Mary, hopefully with the new partially-previewed 5XP weapon if it turns out to be good. Love those fat Guardian weapons.

Yeah as-is Guided by the Unseen I'm pretty sure would lead to any number of fairly easy to set up infinites (using the other previewed card that lets you use money for secrets or vice-versa).

Also, while I still hate how they only seem to use mechanics for a single cycle and it's unfortunate likely won't see any blessed/cursed cards again, I'm liking how the cards are shaping up. Initially it looked like a there wasn't going to be many payoffs that would make cursed/blessed tokens worthwhile, but there's some pretty powerful effects. And I'm really excited to see what that new Guardian weapon is, would be nice to look for something else in the endgame besides Flamethrower/Timeworn Brand for my main fighters. There's a ton of other powerhouse cards that were previewed in that pack and I was hoping Guardians would get something nice since their other card is kinda meh in comparison.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Kalko posted:

Latest pack :

Yeah, Guided seems like it was intended to be a "once per skill test" thing and I'm not going to be surprised if they errata it to that.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Also, while I still hate how they only seem to use mechanics for a single cycle and it's unfortunate likely won't see any blessed/cursed cards again

There's always Return to The Innsmouth Conspiracy!

They did keep the Seal mechanic from TFA, I guess?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a card that requires a coin flip now???

https://arkhamdb.com/card/07224

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yep. And if you’re playing it, you should have a plan for success and failure.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

In rogue builds that use curses as a way to get undercosted effects giving up your accessory slot so that you are only actually impacted by roughly half of them might just be worth it, to be honest, especially since that style of deck makes LCC less reliable.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a card that requires a coin flip now???

https://arkhamdb.com/card/07224

And so begins the Pokemon-ization of Arkham Horror.

Not really, of course, and I give them bonus points for making it a non-binary effect, but coin flips in card games is a pet peeve of mine and when I discovered the online client for the Pokemon TCG last year I thought it was a pretty cool game but it has quite a lot of coin flip effects, a few of which are really obnoxious because you can build a 3rd tier deck around them and they're just awful to play against.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

You can do worse for an lcg then rip off one that’s been in continual publication across four different decades.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Has anyone played Labyrinths of Lunacy in both epic multiplayer mode and single group mode? I'm playing the latter (with just one other player) and finding that it's basically fine until you get to Eixodolon. One of the things I love about this LCG in general is that you can ticking along OK and then the end of the game almost always descends into absolute chaos where you will either 'lose' (whatever that means in the context of the scenario) or just about scrape through in really interesting ways. However we're finding that with this one the chances of being able to deal enough damage to Eixodolon seem slim. We came close with the 'Group A' scenario, got massively dicked over on 'Group B', haven't tried C yet. Is this us being bad, or is it because it's really designed to be played across groups where you can move collectively damage it?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I’ve heard that it’s much better in epic.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Return to Circle Undone announced:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/3/4/return-circle-undone/

Looks like some interesting stuff. Not sure how good mechanically that tarot deck idea is, but it might be neat to mix things up a little for some groups.

The Star looks crazy good for certain Guardian decks. Not an XP priority probably, but I'd definitely put it in the second wave of purchases for a Leo deck for instance.

I'm not knowledgable enough on Mystic deckbuilding to know if The Hierophant is good, but from a quick look I assume it'll either be busted or useless, with no in between.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s super good for Tommy if you want to kill off all your allies. With that and trusted, you might have an AMAZING level 2 guard dog.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Too bad all of TCU hasn’t been reprinted in forever. I think I picked up packs 2 and 5 and haven’t seen any of the others for sale without a 400% markup in the last year that I’ve been looking.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Lemony posted:

Return to Circle Undone announced:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/3/4/return-circle-undone/

Looks like some interesting stuff. Not sure how good mechanically that tarot deck idea is, but it might be neat to mix things up a little for some groups.

The Star looks crazy good for certain Guardian decks. Not an XP priority probably, but I'd definitely put it in the second wave of purchases for a Leo deck for instance.

I'm not knowledgable enough on Mystic deckbuilding to know if The Hierophant is good, but from a quick look I assume it'll either be busted or useless, with no in between.

Ignoring the very real XP cost, Hierophant is the most pushed version of that effect they've made so far, since it can very well be two mystic slots for the price of a card. If it ends up being useless, it's because extra slots are useless. For what it's worth, I think it might be a good pickup for more generalist mystics, so you can keep up spells for all necessities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Here's a couple of cards from a Spanish preview, from the Discord :

The World - XXI (The journey is complete)
Level 3 Seeker asset - 3 cost
If you have 8 or more cards in hand, exhaust ~: Draw a card
When the game begins, if ~ is in your opening hand: Put it into play.

Well Connected
Level 3 Rogue asset - 2 cost
Limit 1 per investigator.
Exhaust ~: You get +1 skill value for this skill test for every 4 resources you have.
Spend 2 resources: Ready ~ (Limit once per round)