Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Keeshhound posted:

Right that's the easy way. But "mining" a Bitcoin is just adding transactions to a bitcoin's block chain, right?
No, it's doing a bunch of math. That's why people buy hundreds of graphics cards, design specialized hardware, or hide mining software in trojans to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sindai posted:

No, it's doing a bunch of math. That's why people buy hundreds of graphics cards, design specialized hardware, or hide mining software in trojans to do it.

Math that humans could do. My point isn't that it would be effective, just that it's an amusing meta idea.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Technically speaking, enough humans performing basic operations can do anything a digital computer can do. They're just much slower.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Keeshhound posted:

Right that's the easy way. But "mining" a Bitcoin is just adding transactions to a bitcoin's block chain, right? So technically there's no reason a human couldn't do that instead of using a gpu; it'd just be way slower.

So could you make a game where the player did that? It's be as some kind of stupid art project, rather than being profitable, obviously. But I'm just amused by the idea of instead of sneaking a Bitcoin miner into a game, making a game where the players form a distributed biological miner.

Okay, I think I understand where you're coming from. There's no reason why a combined human effort couldn't produce a cryptocoin, given infinite lifespan. Gamifying it would be very difficult, I don't think the individual calculations required could be reduced into simple problems that anyone could solve. I'm not a mathematician though, maybe puyo puyo tetris already does this.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The SHA256 hashing algorithm (which bitcoin uses) is mostly relatively simple operations like performing "AND" or "OR" on individual bits. It's just that it does a whole bunch of them in a complicated order. If your gamified group of human participants perform less than a million operations per second, you're gonna be waiting a pretty long time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What if you made those math problems into DX11 render calls and released a crazy psychedelic "screen saver" that's actually just visualizing the math and mining coins off poor chumps that go AFK?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What if you made those math problems into DX11 render calls and released a crazy psychedelic "screen saver" that's actually just visualizing the math and mining coins off poor chumps that go AFK?

GPUs are so outclassed for *coin mining at this point they'd do basically nothing.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

GPUs are so outclassed for *coin mining at this point they'd do basically nothing.

Is this true? I thought bitcoin mining was the cause of video cards currently being overpriced.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Davethulhu posted:

Is this true? I thought bitcoin mining was the cause of video cards currently being overpriced.

Short version: on any name coins "worth" money, it's a waste of time. But there are a thousand and change (and growing) dipshit forks of it all trying to be a hot new thing and idiots with cards keep trying to find the next hot ticket before difficulty gets too steep.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Davethulhu posted:

Now the name of the game is specialty hardware designed entirely to mine bitcoins.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Now the name of the game is specialty hardware designed entirely to mine bitcoins.

Right, I remember Butterfly labs from years ago, which is why the video card thing now confused me.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Short version: on any name coins "worth" money, it's a waste of time. But there are a thousand and change (and growing) dipshit forks of it all trying to be a hot new thing and idiots with cards keep trying to find the next hot ticket before difficulty gets too steep.

This makes sense, in that it's even stupider that I imagined.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Davethulhu posted:

The primary reason I keep up on BitCoin news is so I can laugh at the complete idiots that think they're going to be billionaires any day now because they have a rack of GPUs mining them all day in their parents' basement.

Cryptocurrency is just stupid top to bottom, really.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

Right that's the easy way. But "mining" a Bitcoin is just adding transactions to a bitcoin's block chain, right? So technically there's no reason a human couldn't do that instead of using a gpu; it'd just be way slower.

So could you make a game where the player did that? It's be as some kind of stupid art project, rather than being profitable, obviously. But I'm just amused by the idea of instead of sneaking a Bitcoin miner into a game, making a game where the players form a distributed biological miner.

This already exists, it's literally just capitalism :v:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Davethulhu posted:

The most concise and accurate description of bitcoin i have ever seen.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dollal Simulator 2018

quote:

The authentic Dollal Simulator 2018

How would it be, to make millions in stock exchange?
How would you spend all that money?

Become an authentic trader in this excellent simulation.
Mac El Oliver will guide you along your path of becoming a millionaire.
You have the option to buy and sell authentic Dollals, but you will need both, luck and a great strategy to truly master the art of trading.
Spend your money on fast cars and other items.

Excellent Features:
-realistic trading system with 100% real-time generated Dollal value.
-Graphic interface
-Authentic Voices and Soundeffects

Don't hesistate to buy the most authentic trading simulator out there on the market!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Concgrats on creating a worse way of getting rid of your money than cryptocurrency I guess.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
are the other two chapters of Bendy and the Ink Machine worth buying? the demo kinda fuckin ruled but if they're all around 20min it seems like a ripoff

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is it terrible?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i mean its merch is fuckin all over spencer's and hot topic and gamestop, and when i asked the gamestop guy about it he was like "i have no clue what this is but my boss thought it was gonna be the next Five Nights at Freddys and apparently that was a really good call"

so i'm assuming some angle of it is terrible, which is why i'm asking here

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Solid advice for any game like that: Try it out, but avoid the fandom like hell.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
My nephew is loving obsessed with bendy and the ink machine.

edit- he's 9.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
President Keemstar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOzZdhywMeE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I know that making fun of Bronies is just beating a dead horse at this point but Them's Fightin' Herds is a hell of a thing just for how many legitimate people are involved in what is obviously a fan game for another IP: the character designs are by the woman who actually created the show, it's being published by the Humble Bundle, and other fighting games are even letting them use their IP for unlockables.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's apparently actually really good. Like, there's a lot of FGC people who are excited as gently caress for Them's Fightin' Herds and aren't bronies at all, that's where most of their non-crazy-weirdo support has come from.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

I know that making fun of Bronies is just beating a dead horse at this point but Them's Fightin' Herds is a hell of a thing just for how many legitimate people are involved in what is obviously a fan game for another IP: the character designs are by the woman who actually created the show, it's being published by the Humble Bundle, and other fighting games are even letting them use their IP for unlockables.

I'm just surprised something legitimately cool looking came from a Brony fan project.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Intoluene posted:

I'm just surprised something legitimately cool looking came from a Brony fan project.

It's spent significantly more time as an original IP than as a brony fan project. The Hasbro C&D that caused the change came in 2013.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Guy Mann posted:

it's a legit fighting game production

I personally don't really care much for its systems having actually played it but it doesn't really belong in this thread.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Imagine spending half a decade making a not my little pony game. Jeez.
I mean half a decade of effort is what separates this from the other material in the septic tank that this thread fishes for but still.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Imagine spending half a decade making a not my little pony game. Jeez.
I mean half a decade of effort is what separates this from the other material in the septic tank that this thread fishes for but still.

Horrible game making seem divided into two camps: the asset flippers who poo poo out a zero effort game over a weekend, and the fetishists who spend 60 hours a week for five years, painstakingly making sure the cutie mark is in exactly the right spot.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gynovore posted:

Horrible game making seem divided into two camps: the asset flippers who poo poo out a zero effort game over a weekend
Or longer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3xzXyNh8I

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Edit: Welp, already posted, never mind. Enjoy a picture of Hunt The Freeman's incredibly Original Character Do Not Steal protagonist instead:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 25, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Edit: Welp, already posted, never mind. Enjoy a picture of Hunt The Freeman's incredibly Original Character Do Not Steal protagonist instead:

Scar pattern suggests he stuck his head repeatedly into the same machine from several different angles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*incredibly gravelly voice* heh...swooping season

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Here's a partial playthrough (including cutscenes) by a guy involved with the development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZoYXeHBBes

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A playthrough video opening with "Alright, let's check this poo poo show right up, oh my god" sounds about right.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tag yourself, I'm the lag/stutter on the menu screen composed only of a head, a single lightsource and a flat textureless background.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I'm the untextured, primitive-shapes-only robots with pumpkin heads and no death animations

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm the vast empty maps devoid of gameplay, detail, direction and meaning, made in an engine designed for corridor shooters. No wait, I'm the entire L4D2 asset library.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm the FPS character that controls like he's on roller skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perestroika posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Scar pattern suggests he stuck his head repeatedly into the same machine from several different angles.

I'm the blender mentioned above.