Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Siivola posted:

"This sorcery-speed removal is too good."
– The MTG Thread, 2017

I'm talking about in combination with cartouches, obviously. You can put an unbelievable amount of pressure on your opponent.

Glorybringer is a real dumb card and should have been mythic. Even the games I win with it are cheapened by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Entropic posted:

Huh, I didn't even notice it was Poole. He's got an Island in this set too. I thought they'd basically stopped using him, he's done like 1 other card since Lorwyn.
He did a full cycle of basics for Commander 2016. They're gorgeous. :kimchi:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eela6 posted:

I'm talking about in combination with cartouches, obviously. You can put an unbelievable amount of pressure on your opponent.

Glorybringer is a real dumb card and should have been mythic. Even the games I win with it are cheapened by it.

I like the idea of the cartouches because it makes auras actually playable by introducing a bunch of concessions towards why auras don't see play (e.g. you get added value both by the card itself and by combining them with trials.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is basically Added Value: The Set.

Anyway, I went to FNM to draft tonight and I got whupped after pivoting into three-colour stuff. Highlights included being beaten to death with my own 4/4 first strike lifelinker mummy and a game where I mulled to five, topdecked like a demon to get a 20–1 lead, and then lost. The last game went to time so I scooped it so my opponent could get some credits (I was out already), and he gave me his promo Disintegration in return. :3:

Next time I swear I'm forcing something with no green in it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

This is basically Added Value: The Set.

Anyway, I went to FNM to draft tonight and I got whupped after pivoting into three-colour stuff. Highlights included being beaten to death with my own 4/4 first strike lifelinker mummy and a game where I mulled to five, topdecked like a demon to get a 20–1 lead, and then lost. The last game went to time so I scooped it so my opponent could get some credits (I was out already), and he gave me his promo Disintegration in return. :3:

Next time I swear I'm forcing something with no green in it.

Um, excuse me, getting something "in return" is a clear violation of the tournament rules, I'm going to need your DCI number.

Now, if you had just said he gave it to you after you conceded, then you're good.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Guess who's walkin' it back!

quote:

Greetings MTGO Commanders,

We’ve heard your reaction to the Magic Online Commander update and will be adjusting our plan to accommodate. It was never our intent to disrupt the paper multiplayer Commander community and the format you play at your local game store or at home with friends. We fully support the Rules Committee’s work to make multiplayer Commander the best it can be and will do our best to support their effort.

On May 10, we will update the Magic Online Commander format with the new banned list and begin 1v1 Commander leagues as planned. We want to start gathering data on this format as soon as possible so we can start refining it. This includes updating the banned list and evaluating the match structure (one game versus best-of-three and match length). This does mean that all Commander play on Magic Online will use the updated banned list for a short period of time.

With the Magic Online deployment of Hour of Devastation on July 5, however, we will add another Commander format with a second, separate banned list. When this happens, one format will endeavor to match the official Commander rules and banned list for multiplayer Commander as published at MTGCommander.net while the other will feature a Magic Online specific banned list tailored for 1v1 matches and will feature League and event support. Essentially, multiplayer Commander and 1v1 Commander will be treated as separate formats.

Please note that Magic Online will not always be able to support every card that is legal in paper Commander and may need to make gameplay concessions to fit Magic Online’s digital environment. We’ll try and be as transparent as possible when this is the case.

We still have some work to do to finalize the names of the formats, but we will provide more information as we get closer to the Hour of Devastation release. Finally, I want to thank you for your dedication and passion for this game we all love. We’re always looking for ways to improve the experience on Magic Online, and your continued feedback is important part of that process.

Thank you,

Chris Kiritz
Senior Product Manager
Magic Online

If only someone could have predicted that people would dislike having a 1v1-focused ban list for a multiplayer format that made virtually every current deck for that format illegal. If only.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I hope sol ring stays banned, I'm thirsty.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

quote:

Please note that Magic Online will not always be able to support every card that is legal in paper Commander ...

They just take it as a given. They don't even care that they can't get their act together.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lawnie posted:

Um, excuse me, getting something "in return" is a clear violation of the tournament rules, I'm going to need your DCI number.

Now, if you had just said he gave it to you after you conceded, then you're good.
Welp, it was nice shitposting with y'all. :rip:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
5-0 in a Comp League :allears:

Creature (23)

4 Cryptbreaker
4 Diregraf Colossus
4 Dread Wanderer
3 Lord of the Accursed
4 Metallic Mimic
4 Relentless Dead

Sorcery (4)

4 Dark Salvation

Instant (6)

3 Fatal Push
3 Grasp of Darkness

Enchantment (4)

4 Liliana's Mastery

Land (23)

20 Swamp
3 Westvale Abbey

60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
1 Fatal Push
3 Collective Brutality
2 Dispossess
1 Ob Nixilis Reignited
3 Plague Belcher
2 Scarab Feast
3 Transgress the Mind

It's pretty fun, control players lose their poo poo if you land Relentless Dead.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So wait, there's reasonably competitive mono-black, blue and maybe even red decks going around right now?

Is Standard like this after every new set?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Siivola posted:

So wait, there's reasonably competitive mono-black, blue and maybe even red decks going around right now?

It's like this in that no one ever knows what's actually competitive in the format until the Pro Tour because the Pros all refuse to show off the decks they think are good in events before the Pro Tour to maintain that ~Competitive Edge~.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want to start a Twitter campaign to yell at WotC to print Force and Wasteland in Modern

Also to free Stoneforge Mystic

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to start a Twitter campaign to yell at WotC to print Force and Wasteland in Modern

Also to free Stoneforge Mystic

Get enough people with a big with presence in the community and it'll work.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Magma Spray and Void shatter seem like they should be able to hold zombies back.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
So I mainly played between 97-01 when there were still a lot of MTG listservs discussing deck crafting and theory. This is back when The Dojo was still around and a lot of the content was basically a copy+paste of emails.

Anyways, the point is that there was active discussion around building decks. Only been back to MtG for a few weeks now but it seems like many people are just running to sites like Fireball and StarCity and recreating decks card-by-card rather than engaging in discussion.

I'm sure this isn't the case and I'm simply not finding the sites that replaced the Dojo in spirit. Where should I go?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Magma Spray and Void shatter seem like they should be able to hold zombies back.

Nah, control is fairly weak to Zombies, especially a resolved Relentless Dead. Sweltering Suns is the card you want to draw there, but even then, its not great when you cast it, and your opponent returns 2 Relentless Dead or a Relentless Dead and a Diregraf Colossus.

Having one card that does anything useful against your opponent's deck isn't actually a good thing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 5, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
mtgsalvation and mtgthesource are commonly used sites. The latter is generally better for legacy, the former for modern

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ultima66 posted:

It's like this in that no one ever knows what's actually competitive in the format until the Pro Tour because the Pros all refuse to show off the decks they think are good in events before the Pro Tour to maintain that ~Competitive Edge~.

Zombies just got so much out of the new set that makes the deck a very good midrange deck. There is a very small chance it could become tier 1, but most likely a very solid 1.5/2 deck that people will enjoy in standard.

The removal is pretty great, the zombies are fun, and the deck generates value in creatures pretty reliably. There is also something to be said about the most consistent mana base possible.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Siivola posted:

Before PT and not having any broken decks that stay in rotation it's a lot like this. The first couple of weeks of standard are awesome. If emrakul or cat combo were still around standard would be all people working on those decks and we would see a lot less new ideas going around.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Zombies just got so much out of the new set that makes the deck a very good midrange deck. There is a very small chance it could become tier 1, but most likely a very solid 1.5/2 deck that people will enjoy in standard.

The removal is pretty great, the zombies are fun, and the deck generates value in creatures pretty reliably. There is also something to be said about the most consistent mana base possible.

If the mana was better (particularly if we had something ridiculous like shocklands + checklands circa INN/RTR) I would be almost certain it was a Tier 1 deck because there are plenty of good zombies in white and blue that aren't getting played because having your land base be 23 untapped lands without any drawbacks is better than what you get splashing or playing multiple colors.

As for the Secret PT Tech, there is of course the fact that half the field will be on existing decks like Mardu Vehicles anyways because half the field are essentially randos who won a RPTQ and don't have a testing team to try out new decks. Those players probably just show up with an existing deck they know is likely to be competitive because its the correct call. They're just at a supreme disadvantage to the players who have access to weeks off work to play Magic and come up with strategies that screw the existing good decks.

The reason you see the same dudes winning all the time isn't just skill, its preparation and access to preparation.

I'm still holding out hope they will figure out that the PT being semi-rigged because dudes concede their friends in and then draw their way into the single elim rounds is dumb bullshit. Remove the timer from the last two rounds for all players mathematically eligible for the Top 8, and disallow draws of any kind in those rounds. Yes, it will take 30-40 minutes longer for that day, but who cares - the Top 8 is on a different day anyways.

Although, that idea is only necessary because WOTC doesn't have the stones to ban collusion and just say the head judge has discretion to determine if players are colluding to draw into a benefit.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 5, 2017

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
So I did my usual thing for a new set that I like and recently picked up a fatpack. For the most part it was boring stuff, until I got to one pack that had a Nissa as well as an invocation Kefnet the Mindful. I know I shouldn't complain about it since it's still a $35~ card, but it was still a little anticlimactic that it was my blue invocation, and probably the only invocation I'll ever open. It did get me wondering though, should I go ahead and unload them now before they drop? Or do Nissa and/or Kefnet have some sort of untapped potential that might be seen at the Pro Tour?

Also for those who are wondering - because I certainly was - the land pack had 20 full art lands and and 60 regular lands. Interestingly, there was also a pack of tokens for seemingly every card in the set that can create/embalm as well as a Gideon emblem. I know BfZ had a full pack of full arts, but I don't remember any other fatpack having all of the tokens for a set. I suppose it's because embalm is such a common mechanic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

InterrupterJones posted:

So I did my usual thing for a new set that I like and recently picked up a fatpack. For the most part it was boring stuff, until I got to one pack that had a Nissa as well as an invocation Kefnet the Mindful. I know I shouldn't complain about it since it's still a $35~ card, but it was still a little anticlimactic that it was my blue invocation, and probably the only invocation I'll ever open. It did get me wondering though, should I go ahead and unload them now before they drop? Or do Nissa and/or Kefnet have some sort of untapped potential that might be seen at the Pro Tour?

Also for those who are wondering - because I certainly was - the land pack had 20 full art lands and and 60 regular lands. Interestingly, there was also a pack of tokens for seemingly every card in the set that can create/embalm as well as a Gideon emblem. I know BfZ had a full pack of full arts, but I don't remember any other fatpack having all of the tokens for a set. I suppose it's because embalm is such a common mechanic.

It's because embalm requires you to have a specific token for everything. The set gets real hosed up in limited if you aren't tracking what is a token and what is a card - most of the time you're just putting it back on the battlefield and that's not particularly clean since you have to exile the tokens. So they gave access to lots of tokens.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TwistedNails posted:

Before PT and not having any broken decks that stay in rotation it's a lot like this. The first couple of weeks of standard are awesome. If emrakul or cat combo were still around standard would be all people working on those decks and we would see a lot less new ideas going around.
Fair enough!

Now I want five monocoloured Standard decks plus some entirely colourless Inspiring Eldrazi jank.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Relentless Dead offers some annoying trigger management on MTGO though, especially if two of them die. I blocked a Bloodrage Brawler and a Scrapheap Scrounger with 2 Relentless Dead which made four triggers - I wanted to revive Diregraf Colossus, revive one of the Relentless Dead, and return the other to my hand. You have to manage the stack such that the Diregraf is returned to the battlefield as the last ability put on the stack and the other revive ability targets the Relentless Dead which is not returning to your hand.

It sounds simple but its kind of easy to gently caress up.

1) Relentless Dead A Return to Hand ability - (decline)
2) Relentless Dead B Return to Hand abiity (accept and pay)
3) Relentless Dead B's Return to Battlefield ability (targeting Relentless Dead A)
4) Relentless Dead A's Return to Battlefield ability (targeting Diregraf Colossus)

It's made harder by the fact that its kind of hard to tell on MTGO which ability comes from which zombie and you have to make sure not to target the wrong one with the wrong ones's ability.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Just checking, Bontu the Glorified is a bad card, right?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Alris posted:

It's prob alright in a janky Aristocrats deck.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You could maybe make her roll with Hidden Stockpile?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Alris posted:

Bontu is not all that bad in multiplayer EDH I guess

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Does anyone remember the name of the Magic pro documentary made a year or so ago?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCm-rRUwNGk

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Haha. Fatal Push is an $8 uncommon in a currently printed set.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Can anyone tell me what set the opponents foil swamps are from in this first game? The foil swamps with the Japanese text on the gravestones. What set were those swamps from?

https://youtu.be/2LGv96HG8IA?t=31

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Subways Jared posted:

Can anyone tell me what set the opponents foil swamps are from in this first game? The foil swamps with the Japanese text on the gravestones. What set were those swamps from?

Judging by the set symbol, it's possible they're online-only promos

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Angry Grimace posted:

If the mana was better (particularly if we had something ridiculous like shocklands + checklands circa INN/RTR) I would be almost certain it was a Tier 1 deck because there are plenty of good zombies in white and blue that aren't getting played because having your land base be 23 untapped lands without any drawbacks is better than what you get splashing or playing multiple colors.

As for the Secret PT Tech, there is of course the fact that half the field will be on existing decks like Mardu Vehicles anyways because half the field are essentially randos who won a RPTQ and don't have a testing team to try out new decks. Those players probably just show up with an existing deck they know is likely to be competitive because its the correct call. They're just at a supreme disadvantage to the players who have access to weeks off work to play Magic and come up with strategies that screw the existing good decks.

The reason you see the same dudes winning all the time isn't just skill, its preparation and access to preparation.

I'm still holding out hope they will figure out that the PT being semi-rigged because dudes concede their friends in and then draw their way into the single elim rounds is dumb bullshit. Remove the timer from the last two rounds for all players mathematically eligible for the Top 8, and disallow draws of any kind in those rounds. Yes, it will take 30-40 minutes longer for that day, but who cares - the Top 8 is on a different day anyways.

Although, that idea is only necessary because WOTC doesn't have the stones to ban collusion and just say the head judge has discretion to determine if players are colluding to draw into a benefit.

This is pretty dead on in terms of preparation for the PT. If you're a group of newbies, it can be hard to understand and thoroughly test with teams. When I went (PT Theros) I tried to test newer mechanics but my team was deadset on some horrible Mardu Control deck. Didn't surprise me that our lack of testing new cards led us to get creamed by devotion strategies that we didn't even think of. But like you said, when you have preparation and access to all the cards it's pretty easy.

One thing I want to emphasize though is the "Isn't just skill". I won a random RPTQ like you said, and can generally acknowledge that I had a much lower amount of skill than other players. However, everyone is generally very equal in terms of skill since no one really makes a mistake. When you play versus pros, and no mistakes are made, it honestly just comes down to who is luckier a lot of the time.

I made day two and played all 16 rounds, and I would say about 1/4 of my matches had actual games of magic where I felt like I could influence the game rather than just smashing cards in swingy games and hoping to draw better than my opponent.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Subways Jared posted:

Hard to tell from the small size but is it this? http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/apac-lands/swamp-blue-pack-spears?partner=mtgtcg

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
http://magiccards.info/apac/en/10.html

Looks like it's from 'Asia Pacific Land Program'.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Subways Jared posted:

http://magiccards.info/apac/en/10.html

APAC lands. Not in foil in paper, very expensive.

drat beaten alot

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 5, 2017

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Subways Jared posted:

Foil online promo version of the APAC blue swamp.

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/apac-lands/swamp-blue-pack-spears?partner=mtgtcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chill la Chill posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the Magic pro documentary made a year or so ago?

Enter the Battlefield? That's a continuing series on youtube.