Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Do you have a list of bluestacks settings that make it run in a tolerable way? I tried setting it up last night and it looks just awful and has a terrible framerate (I did enable the Intel virtualization thing too).

If you can't do the HyperV stuff, I recommend using LD Player

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Also a question for you and others: As somebody who only dabbled in regular Eve a few times, what is the reasoning behind playing this version on an emulator rather than the normal version? I mean aside from the obvious toilet playing.

New server, new metas. There's nothing bigger than a Battlecruiser for a long time yet, and a lot of the skills are streamlined down. There's no Sov and land to fight to the death over. No existing Megacorps.

Its a fresh start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Do you have a list of bluestacks settings that make it run in a tolerable way? I tried setting it up last night and it looks just awful and has a terrible framerate (I did enable the Intel virtualization thing too).

Also a question for you and others: As somebody who only dabbled in regular Eve a few times, what is the reasoning behind playing this version on an emulator rather than the normal version? I mean aside from the obvious toilet playing.

This is a very different game than EO. Same universe but basically starting from scratch. :netease: changed a lot of things from game mechanics, ships stats/load out, and how the game flows. EE is fundamentally a different game than EO, and a lot of us old bittervets have zero desire to return to the clusterfuck that is 20 years of systems layered on top of each other.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

BlueStacks runs on the lowest end hardware but it doesn't have the best performance.

In all emulators the default RAM and CPU are probably wrong because most games don't need anywhere near close to what EE does (Blue Stacks, Nox, DLplayer, MeMu, Andy, whatever you want most are functionally the same anyway)

Go into settings and crank the RAM it defaults to like 700MB which is not enough for EE you want it 4+, if you only have 4GB on your computer you want 3.5 or whatever you can spare but don't set it too high or you're going to just degrade performance if you don't actually have enough free RAM.

You want cores to be 4 or your CPU count -1 (or closest option) you want an entire free core for background tasks. You will make it slower if you let it use all cores while it's waiting on other things.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

darthzeta88 posted:

Asian is such a broad term for people, that is like Russians, Indians, Pakis, Chinese, Burkis, Georgians, etc. Oriental is more specific than Asian, as that general doesn't include the Northern part of Asia. But south eastern asians is even more precise, or SEA people.

I got kicked and banned from discord/corp for using 'oriental' as a term to specify South Eastern Asians.

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

ThatEvilOne posted:

Realized I didnt post this yesterday, this was [SHH]'s attempt to counter our press release

Was this the one that was deleted?

I wish we could share a screenshot of our huevos with them. **winkwinkcontentwink**

Also this poor guy:

ThatEvilOne
Aug 25, 2020

get that money, sculptor

Speaking of Deleted [SHH] posts:

Time from post to deletion: 45 seconds

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Salisbury Snape posted:

I got kicked and banned from discord/corp for using 'oriental' as a term to specify South Eastern Asians.

I think it was for more than that champ

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Salisbury Snape posted:

lol that was like one of many things before you eventually dropped your pants and showed your whole rear end

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Salisbury Snape posted:

:hmmno:

Haize
Jun 13, 2008

darthzeta88 posted:

Asian is such a broad term for people, that is like Russians, Indians, Pakis, Chinese, Burkis, Georgians, etc. Oriental is more specific than Asian, as that general doesn't include the Northern part of Asia. But south eastern asians is even more precise, or SEA people.

Uhh I'm pretty sure "Paki" is quite often used a pejorative.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

esto es malo posted:

lol that was like one of many things before you eventually dropped your pants and showed your whole rear end

I dropped my pants and gave you the homegrown long before

ThatEvilOne
Aug 25, 2020

get that money, sculptor

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'll have to try the HyperV thing on bluestacks, thanks.

So it seems like it is the fresh start and streamlined nature of echoes that is the main draw, which makes a lot of sense when I think about how bloated the game must be by now.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Haize posted:

Uhh I'm pretty sure "Paki" is quite often used a pejorative.

It 100% is, at least in the UK.

ThatEvilOne
Aug 25, 2020

get that money, sculptor

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It 100% is, at least in the UK.

Canada too

Sivias
Dec 12, 2006

I think we can just sit around and just talk about our feelings.
Was spinning my miners and felt inspired with all the racist bashing

Rah Rah! Honk!

ThatEvilOne
Aug 25, 2020

get that money, sculptor

Sivias posted:

Rah Rah! Honk!

This is good, I love this

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I just changed one thing when I set up my instance and I don't remember what it was. I can run 3 instances very nicely, the fourth starts crapping out but that's why I have a phone I guess.

LDPlayer ran much nicer for a single instance for me, but didn't handle multiples very well. Others have had different experiences.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

i’m new to this and i don’t emulate, but playing and discording at the same time sucks on iOS. you can have discord as background sound no problem, but app switching to PTT is awful. i’ve been removed from fleets and had my custom overview filters reset during a 2 second app switch to discord and back

my solution is to plug both my phone and my actual computer into my speakers and discord on the computer, having the speakers sum the two inputs into my headphones. this obviously negates the portability benefit of playing on the phone, but it’s worth it for activities where comms are important

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Oh I didn't even think about that but you're right, it does seem really fast to boot me on iOS if I try to do almost anything else on my phone.

I've read a lot of concerning stuff about LDplayer so I'm not sure how much I trust it.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Our enemies make holocaust jokes

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I played EO on and off for 8 years and got right into the ball tortuous spreadsheet bullshit. I haven't been able to make myself login for 4 years. I hated every kind of op from small scale to large scale. Sitting on a gate for six hours or chasing titans. Ugh. Wormholes were like the pinnacle of needing a sliderule for me and I just couldn't do it anymore. I did it all 1000 times and it was all annoying.

However when they "Dumbed Down" for the mobile platform they made the game way loving better. It's hard to describe all of the little quality of life changes and things that are different but to me it is the better EVE game. It's definitely worth a day or two tryout for anyone that might be interested.

Also it doesn't carry the "Mobile" baggage you would expect. Other than the typical CCP/EVE stuff like Plex and Subscriptions there aren't any lootbox mechanics or anything other than cosmetics. At least for now. You aren't paying $4.99 for a gun box that has a 0.4% chance of dropping deadspace gear or anything.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Geese: HONK!

Racists: Welp, time to adopt a holocaust gimmick!

Keep up the good honk.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

ObamaAkbar. posted:

How does this chucklefuck have a gangtag while I wallow in obscurity?

same :ughh:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

oh good, monkey is back to being a crazy pants again. Can someone get his meds? Who was supposed to be giving him his thorazine?

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

"yeah, that's definitely racist, but what else do you got"

Khris Kruel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 7, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Something something flocktag please maybe honk you?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Sivias posted:

Rah Rah! Honk!

This is great. You're very alright friend

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Feels bad.

Nation of Thizzlam
Sep 9, 2010

Tear off the chains and the entire world will be free

Khris Kruel posted:

"yeah, that's definitely racist, but what else do you got"

they're just giving up on trying to act like the racists don't exist and just full out admitting and normalizing it, what wonderful people they all are

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
If there are some of you that would like the gangtag, either PM me or report one of your own posts in this thread with the request. It is easier for me doing it that way :)

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

I installed this on a whim last night and it seems like my kind of thing but am I in trouble if I've never played EO at all or should I resign myself to a lonely space death

are there any recommended tldr for idiots places? Not really sure what I am doing with my skills yet just tutorial missions to see where I want to specialize

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

obithrawn posted:

I installed this on a whim last night and it seems like my kind of thing but am I in trouble if I've never played EO at all or should I resign myself to a lonely space death

are there any recommended tldr for idiots places? Not really sure what I am doing with my skills yet just tutorial missions to see where I want to specialize

Not playing EVE is probably an advantage as you don't have any baggage. All of the core mechanics like damage types, gun optimals, orbits and whatnot are easy enough to learn.

The best place to go is the corp/discord, it has everything you'd need. Including starter ships and fittings.

Oh and don't worry about dying. you will do that a lot.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

obithrawn posted:

Join the discord and face to (racist) bloodshed.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

obithrawn posted:

It’s okay, I had like two days EO experience when I gave up, people in the discord will hook you up. It’s still extremely confusing, but seems way less complex than EO.

For tldr idiots, there’s at least guides to the basic stuff which helps a lot. Join and get access to them. In the meantime you can slowly gain skills and do some missions to get the hang of things, which is what I’m doing for now.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Oh and don't worry about dying. you will do that a lot.

This can't be stressed enough. You will die. Probably a lot. Often stupidly. There's nothing wrong with that, and since you can get a lot of free poo poo from the goose, you won't really feel the loss. It's also important to welp ships so you get over the fear and tame the response.

I'm not even close to as rich as some goons and I have 200M in liquid isk, and 700M in company scrip (tax dodging is fun and easy). I've lost expensive to me ships literally immediately after I finished kitting it, just laughed and built another one. Roll with the corp and you'll be rollin in ships and isk.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The mantra of "don't fly what you can't lose" is obviously important but I do one extra step for my sanity. Any time I go looking for fights I think to myself, just before I undock, *this ship is gone. i am going to get killed. that is fine.* If I end up making it back then that's just a bonus! I usually have fun either way. Don't get blapped all the time and abuse the free ship thing but it's nice to not beat yourself up about losses.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Rob Rockley posted:

It’s okay, I had like two days EO experience when I gave up, people in the discord will hook you up. It’s still extremely confusing, but seems way less complex than EO.

For tldr idiots, there’s at least guides to the basic stuff which helps a lot. Join and get access to them. In the meantime you can slowly gain skills and do some missions to get the hang of things, which is what I’m doing for now.

Yeah, people have been really helpful and more than willing to answer my ignorant questions in the new player channel. I'm still not across some aspects, but I'm yet to die hilariously yet, so give it a go!

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

okay I'm too stupid to even join the discord apparently, I got my account authed but had my application rejected what did I do wrong here should I be applying to just chill or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Kaysette posted:

Don't get blapped all the time and abuse the free ship thing but it's nice to not beat yourself up about losses.

To clarify, this means don't abuse the "free ships from the corp" thing.

There's also an "every 7 days you can request reimbursement of a ship you lost in PVE" feature that you can do through the ingame settings, which is automated. You are encouraged to abuse that as much as it will let you, if you're a dumbo who welps ships in PVE.