Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey, just for fun, I felt like loading up hotline Miami (on God's chosen platform the PS Vita)

Managed to knock out a few trophies! So looking at it, my trophy gap (the time between the first trophy earned in game and the last trophy earned) is a staggering ten years, seven months, three weeks and five days.

I don't think I'll have the patience to do A+ on every level so not going for platinum but I think there's a few more trophies I can get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ineffiable posted:

Should have gotten a Playstation Portal too!

Portal only works when it's on the same network as your PS5 I think?

I'm actually still debating getting one so I can sit at my computer watching sports while doing mindless trophy grinds in the jrpgs I love so much

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

IcePhoenix posted:

Portal only works when it's on the same network as your PS5 I think?

I'm actually still debating getting one so I can sit at my computer watching sports while doing mindless trophy grinds in the jrpgs I love so much

Not exactly true! It's best on your own network because you control it but it will work anywhere with a good enough wifi signal.

There are plenty of people I know that took it to their families and managed to get a few hours in, despite being hundreds of miles away.

Even with the best internet though the latency is still slightly there and it's noticeable on shooting games (especially multi-player) so I definitely don't recommend trying to use the portal for like rhythm or shooting games but it definitely is very good for rpgs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ineffiable posted:

Not exactly true! It's best on your own network because you control it but it will work anywhere with a good enough wifi signal.

There are plenty of people I know that took it to their families and managed to get a few hours in, despite being hundreds of miles away.

Even with the best internet though the latency is still slightly there and it's noticeable on shooting games (especially multi-player) so I definitely don't recommend trying to use the portal for like rhythm or shooting games but it definitely is very good for rpgs.

oh this is very interesting to me now, thanks!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
One stupid $200 accessory at a time, please! Gotta get that Dualsense Edge first, then all the games I couldn't buy while saving up for it, and then I can think about a Portal. So maybe by Xmas I'll be ready lol.

Anyway, I'm twiddling my thumbs while waiting for a work task to upload so I started in on my FF7 Remake replay. Won't see any trophies for a while since I was at 48% complete, but I'm following along with the Powerpyx walkthrough to get back to where I was faster. If I can knock it, and Darks Souls 2, out in the next two weeks I'll be happy. Might look up some other auto-unlocks or easy upgrade plats to tide me over in the meantime though.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Paying2Lurk posted:

One stupid $200 accessory at a time, please! Gotta get that Dualsense Edge first, then all the games I couldn't buy while saving up for it, and then I can think about a Portal. So maybe by Xmas I'll be ready lol.

Anyway, I'm twiddling my thumbs while waiting for a work task to upload so I started in on my FF7 Remake replay. Won't see any trophies for a while since I was at 48% complete, but I'm following along with the Powerpyx walkthrough to get back to where I was faster. If I can knock it, and Darks Souls 2, out in the next two weeks I'll be happy. Might look up some other auto-unlocks or easy upgrade plats to tide me over in the meantime though.

Keep us posted how that goes. I did a normal run and got confused on what to do next years ago based on the PSNP guide.

I think next would be grind out chapter select on normal to max out materia, do all the variations of the outfit quests on chapter select, and then do hard mode/vr with maxed out materia?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Anti-Hero posted:

Keep us posted how that goes. I did a normal run and got confused on what to do next years ago based on the PSNP guide.

I think next would be grind out chapter select on normal to max out materia, do all the variations of the outfit quests on chapter select, and then do hard mode/vr with maxed out materia?

Remarkably, a gamefaqs guide got me through most of it.

Outside of that, to get your characters and materia to max level, use chapter select to repeatedly do the intro section of chapter 16 on easy or normal. Once you get past the guards and go through the sliding glass door to enter the shinra building you just go back to chapter select and start over. I just set Cloud with first strike and a magnified fire materia and started every battle with a magnified Fira, then cleaned up whatever was left for each encounter. After that I'd start the hard playthrough and just go through each chapter sequentially, though you can of course skip around, especially to do dress stuff.

Also once you get enough manuscripts, go back to chapter 17 to access the combat simulator that they add after the first encounter and do all the optional fights, both for trophies and for the ridiculous accessory you get from beating the last one. If you haven't done the colosseum battles you can only do with Aerith immediately after the story colosseum then the last one won't show up until you do, though. e: there are a couple different methods for doing the last simulator fight but the one I used was Cloud/Tifa/Aerith and I feel like it was significantly better than the other method that I already forgot.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 4, 2024

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just a small update, I managed to score 17 trophies in hotline Miami today, bringing me from something like 45% complete to 85% complete. I'm satisfied with the game now.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Paying2Lurk posted:

I'm not planning a full replay since I'll probably be ready for something different once I finish Rebirth, but I actually also reinstalled Remake to go back and clean up a few collectibles trophies that I didn't get on my first run for whatever reason. Should bump me up from about 50% to something a bit more respectable.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Remarkably, a gamefaqs guide got me through most of it.

Outside of that, to get your characters and materia to max level, use chapter select to repeatedly do the intro section of chapter 16 on easy or normal. Once you get past the guards and go through the sliding glass door to enter the shinra building you just go back to chapter select and start over. I just set Cloud with first strike and a magnified fire materia and started every battle with a magnified Fira, then cleaned up whatever was left for each encounter. After that I'd start the hard playthrough and just go through each chapter sequentially, though you can of course skip around, especially to do dress stuff.

Also once you get enough manuscripts, go back to chapter 17 to access the combat simulator that they add after the first encounter and do all the optional fights, both for trophies and for the ridiculous accessory you get from beating the last one. If you haven't done the colosseum battles you can only do with Aerith immediately after the story colosseum then the last one won't show up until you do, though. e: there are a couple different methods for doing the last simulator fight but the one I used was Cloud/Tifa/Aerith and I feel like it was significantly better than the other method that I already forgot.

I'm totally bookmarking this. Thank you! Might dip back in to it soon as all the FF7 Rebirth coverage has me motivated.

I've got more completions to post, all of which are on STEAM.

Metro 2033 Redux - fantastic linear FPS. I did a playthrough in 2018ish that I did all the tedious poo poo like the good ending and getting all the collectibles. I had to do a second playthrough on the opposite game mode, bad ending, and then grinding weapon kills which are very easy because of checkpoint reloading.

Just Cause 2: Multiplayer Mod - PC only, very dead game mode that requires getting 20 people together on a server for a specific cheevo. Saw an advertisement for a group on a Discord so took that opportunity. I had to idle the goddamn game for 750 hours in a server for the "play 1 month achievement". Overall pretty silly.

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster - amazing nostalgia trip. Only 3 potentially missable achievements but it would virtually impossible to naturally miss them. 6 hour completion so probably not worth the $30 but I traveled for work for a week and a nice and easy completion was attractive to get back in the groove.

Metro 2033 - the OG version that would have been contemporary with the 360 release. This was never released on PlayStation. Much more of a pain in the rear end achievement list since some of the tricks from the Redux - namely checkpoint weapon grinding - doesn't work. The collectibles are more annoying. I had lost my original save but that wouldn't have helped me. Took me 11 hours approximately from scratch following a complete walkthrough from TrueAchievements.

On PlayStation I'm picking away at Batman: Arkham City but once I beat the campaign & NG+ I'll probably park it for a long time and work on cleaning up either FF7 Remake or The Last Guardian.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Doing some trophy cleanup in Pacific Drive before finishing the game. Most aren't too bad but there's one to get hit by three different types of damage within a minute and ugh I never like ones like that.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

#115 Poly Puzzles: Dogs
A set of 50 polygonal jigsaw puzzles, featuring dogs. They work, which is about the minimum you can ask for this game.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Just a warning for anyone going for the "easy" Hello Neighbor 2 plat. Most of the glitches have been fixed, like crouch jumping through the door in Day 1, so it's not as quick or easy as it used to be. The game is annoying, runs poorly, and is buggy as hell. I accidentally threw the scissors you need and they glitched through the floor so I can't get them anymore. Time to start over...hooray.

If they didn't give you a trophy for beating the tutorial I would have deleted the game and moved on by now. No way am I doing the PS5 version too after this.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oof, thanks for the heads-up. Probably saved me a bit of grief there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah we appreciate your sacrifice!

Today I got nine new trophies I did not have otherwise in Hotline Miami 2 despite playing it over nine years ago. I do not like HM2 despite loving HM1. Gonna try to press on a little more and see if I can actually finish the game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah we appreciate your sacrifice!

Today I got nine new trophies I did not have otherwise in Hotline Miami 2 despite playing it over nine years ago. I do not like HM2 despite loving HM1. Gonna try to press on a little more and see if I can actually finish the game.

I have a similar experience. I really enjoyed HM1 (and want to go back and get the cheevo completion) and Steam says I put in 3 hours of HM2 at launch. I remember it was way loving harder and not in a good way.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Platinum #365, 14th game of 2024 complete - Hello Neighbor 2 (PS4 version)

After a bad first impression I ended up liking the game a little bit. I went into it thinking I could knock it out in like 30 minutes before starting work stuff for the day, and when that didn't happen I was annoyed. Coming at it with the mindset of actually, y'know, trying to play the game softened my opinion a little.

It's still buggy and runs poorly, but it ended up being a decent couple of hours once I got into the flow of it. Most of the levels are just finding things and taking them back to a central location. The game saves every time you bring back and use / place each item so it's possible to kind of brute force progress. The first level is the hardest, and after that everything gets much quicker and easier until the final night level, which is kind of a pain.

I followed along with this video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj76bUrf5rs and that made beating the game easy enough. There are a couple of missable trophies but that video points them out.

A couple of helpful pointers:
  • The lever to open the wall upstairs in the first level is moved from where it is in that video. The first comment below the video says where it is
  • In the 3rd level where you dig up the safe, the code is 80164, not 81064
  • In the 4th(?) level with the musician in the mansion, I swear the AI kept putting trophies back. Nothing online mentions this so maybe I'm just going nuts. Anyway, just keep re-checking all the trophy spawn locations and they'll show back up eventually. Or just get caught less than I did.
  • And lastly, if you lose an item it will (eventually) go back to where it spawns. I kept losing my scissors by accidentally throwing them. If that happens to you, and the spawn location is relatively close, just reload last save and then go back and grab it.

Despite what I posted earlier, I'll probably play the PS5 version as well. Now that I know what I'm getting into, I think I can do it quicker. Hopefully is runs better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

I have a similar experience. I really enjoyed HM1 (and want to go back and get the cheevo completion) and Steam says I put in 3 hours of HM2 at launch. I remember it was way loving harder and not in a good way.

No joke, every single person I talk to about HM2 has quit a few hours in. It's just so brutal, unforgiving and tedious. It took me one hour of attempts to clear just one level (for comparison, when I played HM1 earlier this week, I cleared the whole game and maybe spent 20 minutes at most on a single level).

I haven't actually chatted with anyone here or on the discord that beat HM2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Ineffiable posted:

No joke, every single person I talk to about HM2 has quit a few hours in. It's just so brutal, unforgiving and tedious. It took me one hour of attempts to clear just one level (for comparison, when I played HM1 earlier this week, I cleared the whole game and maybe spent 20 minutes at most on a single level).

I haven't actually chatted with anyone here or on the discord that beat HM2.

I beat it, and I am aware of a goon who got S rank on all levels; it's a badly made game, victim of both unfocused design, actively contemptuous writing and the classic trap of difficulty designed for the developers and the superfans.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Didn’t the original dev sell the IP? And now he’s making another game that’s basically the same thing except with a different name.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Well, I went ahead and took care of the PS5 version of Hello Neighbor 2. Platinum trophy #366, 15th game of the year complete.

This version is a much smoother experience. Better performance and shorter load times being the main improvements. I also used my headphones this time and that made it easier to keep track of where the AI people were. Took me about 90 minutes to play it straight-through, but that's with the benefit of mostly remembering what to do. (And also not throwing key items away as much. :ssh: )

So, my recommendation would be to play the PS5 version if you can, and then only play the PS4 version if you think you wouldn't mind playing the same game but with worse everything. And of course, because I look up a couple of guides my YouTube recs are now cursed with videos all about the DEEP LORE behind the games. Bleh. That's gonna take some purging.

Also, they released a patch for Resistance: Retribution that apparently messed up the final story trophy so the plat is unobtainable now. Another reason to avoid that game if you weren't already.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Platinum 104: Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

Well that was 20 bucks for a soso documentary on one of the worst games of all time. Platinum takes 15 minutes if you don't actually watch all the material.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
Hundo on Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition, after a hundo and one hours. It's very grindy but everyone who goes into a musou game knows that from the start.

I'd already done 2/3 of it back in 2020 and I don't remember much of that so I can't really appraise it properly, but if I have to take a break from a game that usually means it's exceedingly tedious.

I also did Dark Souls 2 last week which was a good time :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Didn’t the original dev sell the IP? And now he’s making another game that’s basically the same thing except with a different name.

This would explain why hotline Miami got a surprise ps5 upgrade last year remade in Unity. Probably whoever owns it now wanted a more future proof version to port.

Discendo Vox posted:

I beat it, and I am aware of a goon who got S rank on all levels; it's a badly made game, victim of both unfocused design, actively contemptuous writing and the classic trap of difficulty designed for the developers and the superfans.

Yeah seriously, I'm only halfway though the game but levels have easily gotten 3x harder/longer than anything in HM1. I've never seen a game alienate it's playerbase as much as this even though on paper, HM2 sounds like more HM1 and should have been an easy win.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 7, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
There’s a quintessential hotline Miami 2 moment, where the game spawns you on a one-room floor with an enemy type that’s immune to everything but a certain weapon placed between you and that weapon. The game pulls this multiple times.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 9, 2024

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf
Foamstars added 1 new silver trophy with their Season 2 debut making those who were once 100% complete on this trophy list, now 90%.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Platinumed Pacific Drive, loved the game and would get DLC the moment it released. Trophies were pretty straightforward too, mostly just completing runs of certain lengths under certain conditions, some esoteric stuff like taking three kinds of damage (which wasn't very hard when you could just scan for the right zone to be in). Played more than needed to for the plat, exploring as many junctions as I could, gathering the podcast episodes (didn't realize they were voiced by Erika Ishii either), so took longer than it could've.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Platinumed Pacific Drive, loved the game and would get DLC the moment it released. Trophies were pretty straightforward too, mostly just completing runs of certain lengths under certain conditions, some esoteric stuff like taking three kinds of damage (which wasn't very hard when you could just scan for the right zone to be in). Played more than needed to for the plat, exploring as many junctions as I could, gathering the podcast episodes (didn't realize they were voiced by Erika Ishii either), so took longer than it could've.

Nothing missable, eh?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

Nothing missable, eh?

Two missable trophies - one to scan an anomaly after calling the storm (and it has to be an anomaly you haven't scanned before, which is why it's missable), and one at the very end of the game, to have a particular bobblehead on your dashboard as you finish the game (you'll know which one it is, someone asks you to do it).

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

HONKER24 posted:

Foamstars added 1 new silver trophy with their Season 2 debut making those who were once 100% complete on this trophy list, now 90%.

Trophy info finally got added to the tracking sites. You have to clear all the solo missions for the 6 base characters.

If you got the 100% before, you already beat the first 3 for all of them so you'll just have to beat the new ones they added. 3 more per character so 18 in all. Seems easy enough. I'm kinda looking forward to more of the weird mini-stories. Plus, we get to see the big bad that created all the bubble beasts that was only mentioned before. The lore, people, the deep Foamstars lore.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Nice that they're adding new trophies for the updates! I'll probably wait until there are a bunch and then grab them all at once though.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The Foamstars announcement mentioned a Season 3, so there might be at least one more trophy added. If the plug isn't pulled by then.

I'm bored and checking platinums for random games and it looks like the Wanted: Dead plat is finally obtainable. Might have to add that to the Soon pile.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
And that's 100% on Foamstars. Again.

Yeah, it's 3 more solo missions for the 6 base characters that continue their weird little stories. The missions themselves are a little more challenging than the earlier ones, but still not hard. Especially since I think all of the core upgrades are active. So if you played the earlier missions or grinded for the hard squad mission at all you won't have a problem. The final boss fight is pretty neat.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Platinum #640: Remnant: From the Ashes

Great game, loved it and can't wait to start the sequel. Took about 25 hours according to the save file and that included doing all of one of the dlc (the other dlc is survival so I skipped it)

However, a nitpick. If you don't know, the way this game works is it generates everything for you for a campaign so no two campaigns are the same. Meaning it's all based on RNG. It's not too bad, because especially with the dlc you have more than enough stuff to fulfill most of the trophy requirements, however, I spent probably the last 6 hours just rerolling stuff until I found exactly what I needed, the last 2 hours being exactly for one little ring for a sidequest which finally let me get the platinum.

People can talk about difficulty trophies and multi-player trophies but RNG trophies are really a pain in the rear end because it's just basically the game deciding if you're lucky enough to have the stars align (some multi-player trophies are rng in a sense, like how a good portion of Overwatch trophies don't happen easily and you just need to hope the perfect situation occurs). It can be frustrating because you can know exactly what you need, where to go, and it's just a matter of if the game lets you have it or not. Hades has some really annoying trophies related to this too!

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Only 25 hours? I'll have to give Remnant another look. I bought the game and both DLCs for like $10 at some point. Tried it out, made it past the first big boss, but never really understood what I was doing. The sequel looks really cool, but I'd want to finish off the original before even thinking of starting it.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Looks like Grandia and Grandia 2 are getting trophies. Not sure if they're being added to the Classics versions or if the Grandia HD Collection that's on Switch is getting ported over.

https://www.exophase.com/game/grandia-psn/trophies/
https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/26293-grandia-ii

Edit -

It's the HD collection, also on XBox
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10008436

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 12, 2024

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Hell yeah I loved the Grandia games, glad to see the HD collection is finally coming over!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I finished up my FF7 Rebirth playthrough on Sunday, and drat that's a good game. Also drat that's a long and probably difficult trophy list. I don't really have any low hanging fruit left, so I'll probably set it aside and come back to it in the future when I get a craving again.

... and speaking of long trophy lists, I've had a craving for Diablo lately so I grabbed Diablo 2. The trophy list on that one is absolutely insane.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 12, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I finished up my FF7 Rebirth playthrough on Sunday, and drat that's a good game. Also drat that's a long and probably difficult trophy list. I don't really have any low hanging fruit left, so I'll probably set it aside and come back to it in the future when I get a craving again.

... and speaking of long trophy lists, I've had a craving for Diablo lately so I grabbed Diablo 2. The trophy list on that one is absolutely insane.

Anything that stands out beyond the typical "Beat this minigame entirely", "Do all open world research tasks", "Do Hard mode"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Morpheus posted:

Anything that stands out beyond the typical "Beat this minigame entirely", "Do all open world research tasks", "Do Hard mode"?

You have to beat every minigame entirely and many are either godawful or tedious.