Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1432442047768797190

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1432445986274676740

For how hosed this whole thing is, holy loving shitballs that was a goddamn success. I thought for loving sure there was going to be some kind of attack for the limited troops left. A *shitload* of people got out that I sure didn't expect would happen based on how the shitstorm started.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1432446906823847941

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The next forever war will probably be fought over arable land of which Afghanistan has too little of.

Looking forward to our ginning up a reason to invade Brazil because they're #5 on the list of countries with the most arable land and the only one without nukes.

They're already way ahead of you:

https://www.economist.com/international/2021/08/28/climate-change-will-alter-where-many-crops-are-grown posted:

TOM EISENHAUER remembers driving through Manitoba, a province in central Canada, more than a decade ago. Surrounding his car were fields of cold-weather crops, such as wheat, peas and canola (rape). Dense staples such as maize (corn) and soya, which are more profitable, were few and far between. The view is very different now. More than 5,300 square kilometres have been sown with soya and around 1,500 with maize.

Mr Eisenhauer’s company, Bonnefield Financial, hopes to benefit from the ways that climate change is changing Canadian agriculture. The company buys fields and leases them to farmers, both in Manitoba and elsewhere in the country. It is betting that a warmer climate will steadily increase how much its assets are worth, by enabling farmers in the places where it is investing to grow more valuable crops than they have traditionally selected. It is far from the only business making such wagers. Climate change could make a cornucopia out of land that was once frigid and unproductive. It could also do great harm to regions that feed millions.

The amount of space used to produce food has been increasing for centuries. Since 1700 areas of cropland and pastureland have expanded fivefold. Most of that growth came before the middle of the 20th century. Starting in the 1960s, the widespread adoption of chemical fertilisers, the development of more productive varieties of grains and rice, along with improved access to irrigation, pesticides and machinery, enabled farmers to make much better use of the fields they already tilled. In recent decades, technologies such as genome editing and better data crunching have helped lift yields even higher.

The rise in global temperatures which began towards the end of the 20th century slowed increases in productivity, but it did not stop them. A recent study by researchers at Cornell University calculates that, since 1971, climate change resulting from human activity has slowed growth in agricultural productivity by about a fifth.

The “headwind” caused by climate change will only become stronger, says Ariel Ortiz-Bobea, one of the study’s authors. Their research found that the sensitivity of agricultural productivity increases as temperatures rise. In other words, each additional fraction of a degree is more detrimental to food production than the last. That is especially bad news for food producers in places, such as the tropics, that are already warm. Another study predicts that for every degree that global temperatures rise, mean maize yields will fall by 7.4%, wheat yields will fall by 6% and rice yields will fall by 3.2%. Those three crops supply around two-thirds of all the calories that humans consume.

In the coming decades there will be more mouths to feed. The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, an American research group, guesses that the global population will rise from around 7.8bn to 9.7bn by 2064 (after which it will fall). Growing middle classes in many developing countries are demanding a wider variety of food, and more of it.

Hence the importance of the changes global warming brings to farming areas. By expanding the tropics, it will change rainfall patterns in the subtropics. By warming the poles especially fast, it is opening up high-latitude land as quickly. The regions to the north of America and China are warming at at least double the global average rate. As Mr Eisenhauer’s experience in Manitoba can attest, crops are already moving polewards in response.

A study by researchers at Colorado State University, published in Nature in 2020, found notable changes in the distribution of several rain-fed crops in the 40 years between 1973 and 2012, as farmers began to make different decisions about which crops were worth planting where. Maize production, for example, spread from America’s south-east to its upper-Midwest. Wheat has moved so substantially to the north, with the help of new irrigation methods, that it has outstripped the warming trend: the warmest places where it is grown today are cooler than the warmest places it grew in 1975.

Soyabeans account for 65% of all the protein fed to farm animals. The cultivation of these wonder-beans has moved both north and south, as new breeds and other advances have allowed it to expand in tropical regions. The areas in which rice is harvested in China have expanded northward since 1949. Wine grapes and fruit crops have also migrated north.

Mr Eisenhauer says investors are increasingly stumping up for Canadian land as a hedge against climate risks they face elsewhere. Martin Davies of Westchester, a big agricultural investment firm, says he is seeing similar trends in many parts of the world.

A moveable feast?

The bravest investors spy opportunity in lands that currently support no farming at all. For the moment only about one-third of the world’s boreal regions—a biome characterised by coniferous forests that covers vast tracts of land south of the Arctic Circle—boast temperatures warm enough to grow the hardiest cereals, such as oats and barley. This could expand to three-quarters by 2099, according to a study published in 2018 in Scientific Reports, a journal (see map). The share of boreal land that can support farming could increase from 8% to 41% in Sweden. It could increase from 51% to 83% in Finland.

Efforts to farm these areas will alarm people who value boreal forests for their own sake. And cutting down such forests and ploughing up the soils that lie beneath them will release carbon. But the climatic effects are not as simple as they might seem. Northern forests absorb more heat from the sun than open farmland does, because snow-covered farmland reflects light back into space (in forests the snow is underneath the trees and not so directly illuminated). The fact that felling boreal forests may not worsen climate change, though, says nothing about the degree to which it could affect biodiversity, ecosystem services or the lives of forest dwellers, particularly indigenous ones.

Some governments are already keen to capitalise on climate change. Russia’s has long talked of higher temperatures as a boon. President Vladimir Putin once boasted that they would enable Russians to spend less money on fur coats and grow more grain. In 2020 a “national action plan” on climate change outlined ways in which the country could “use the advantages” of it, including expanding farming. Since 2015 Russia has become the world’s largest producer of wheat, chiefly because of higher temperatures.

Russia’s government has started leasing thousands of square kilometres of land in the country’s far east to Chinese, South Korean and Japanese investors. Much of the land, which was once unproductive, is now used to grow soyabeans. Most are imported by China, helping the country reduce its reliance on imports from America. Sergey Levin, Russia’s deputy minister of agriculture, has predicted that soya exports from its far-eastern farmlands may reach $600m by 2024. That would be nearly five times what they were in 2017. The government of Newfoundland and Labrador, a province on the north-eastern tip of Canada, is also trying to promote the expansion of agriculture into lands covered by forests.

There is a way, in addition to higher temperatures, in which the changes humankind is making to the atmosphere could help such projects along. Carbon dioxide is not just a greenhouse gas; it is also the raw material for the photosynthesis through which plants grow and feed themselves. For most plants, other things being equal, more carbon dioxide means more growth. The build-up of carbon dioxide over the past century has led to a clearly measurable “global greening” as those plants which benefit most from higher carbon dioxide levels thrive. This effect can help boost crop yields. But it is not an unalloyed good. Bigger crops may not be more nutritious crops.

Moreover, climate change will alter patterns of rainfall. This will not necessarily benefit plans for more farming in northern climes. Many areas that are becoming mild enough to farm may end up lacking water, at least without intensive irrigation. Others may get too much. Crops are not the only organisms whose range expands as temperatures rise: pests and pathogens, which are often killed off by cold winters, spread too. Soil matters as well. The best quality stuff is most commonly found at lower latitudes, not far-northern ones.

Cold comfort

Some emerging farmland is near to established farming systems. But transforming remote regions of Siberia, to take one example—where much existing infrastructure is already sinking and breaking apart because of melting permafrost—will be slow and costly. Frontier farms will also have to attract and accommodate many more workers. They will have to rely increasingly on foreign migrants, an idea that voters in many rich countries do not much like.

All told, the northern expansion of farmland will only go some way towards mitigating the damage climate change may do to agriculture. The societies that will benefit from it are mostly already wealthy. Poor places, which rely much more heavily on income from exporting agricultural produce, will suffer.

A much wider range of adaptations will be needed if food is to remain as copious, varied and affordable as it is today. These will include efforts to help crops withstand warmer temperatures, for example through clever crop breeding, advances in irrigation and protection against severe weather. Rich and poor countries alike should also make it a priority to reduce the amount of food that is wasted (the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation guesses that more than one-third is squandered). The alternative will be a world that is hungrier and more unequal than it is at present—and than it might have been.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Took him 20 years to care. Amazing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wrong Theory posted:

RE: Seal Talk
Is there a reason they (seemingly) recruit so heavily from the civilian world? I have heard SF tends to recruit from ranger batt which makes sense, they have the basics of being infantry drilled into them. Why would you even want people unassociated with the military in a high speed unit?

The teams despise the fleet so maybe that too?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1432442047768797190

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1432445986274676740

For how hosed this whole thing is, holy loving shitballs that was a goddamn success. I thought for loving sure there was going to be some kind of attack for the limited troops left. A *shitload* of people got out that I sure didn't expect would happen based on how the shitstorm started.

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1432446906823847941

I’m calling it in a decade or so, it’s going to be locked at in hindsight as a really well down logistics operation, done against an insane backdrop. Like I mean in a sense that some people can be proud that they worked on it (I say some, because I’m sure some galaxy brains also participated and screwed things up at times…also officers).

Also

https://twitter.com/complexsports/status/1432444340606013441?s=21

https://twitter.com/kirk_barton/sta...-on-national-tv

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2021

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

RE: Seal Talk
Is there a reason they (seemingly) recruit so heavily from the civilian world? I have heard SF tends to recruit from ranger batt which makes sense, they have the basics of being infantry drilled into them. Why would you even want people unassociated with the military in a high speed unit?

False equiv.

SEALs are more like Rangers- they are direct action oriented, and want young, dumb, and full of cum.

Special Forces were designed to be dropped into a hostile place and build an Army. As originally conceived, a single SF A Team could train and equip a BN of troopers in a month. While much of this has changed over GWOT, SF NEEDS maturity. You don't want 19 year old dipshit getting you killed because he won't let a man kiss him on the lips. Special Forces requires independent thought and evaluation to 2nd and 3rd order effects; DA oriented units like SEALs and Rangers don't require it to the extent SF does. SF does have a civilian pipeline; but it largely has open selection, with requirements, including a Time on Service/rank/experience. This adds a higher average age, with a higher degree of maturity.

Pipelines are also different- SEALs get combat related training almost exclusively as a base standard. SF gets language, culture, and other assorted training that allows them to teach mean with no numerical systems how many rounds a magazine holds, or basic hygiene where there are no sources of clean water, etc.

Totally different missions, with different views from the outside, and from inside.

There is absolutely nothing the SEALs do that another unit couldn't, probably better. Even in VN, where they built their rep, you can see that. You can see they are glorified amphibious light Infantry with no budget and no oversight.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

That Works posted:

loving brain trust over at wapo

https://twitter.com/marcthiessen/status/1432445787389243399

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’m calling it in a decade or so, it’s going to be locked at in hindsight as a really well down logistics operation, done against an insane backdrop. Like I mean in a sense that some people can be proud that they worked on it (I say some, because I’m sure some galaxy brains also participated and screwed things up at times…also officers).

I'm amazed that after the initial images of Afghans flooding the runway and falling off C-17s in flight, the only American servicemember casualties were from a late-evac suicide bombing and 100K+ friendlies got evacuated. And somehow Biden didn't surge upon his surge - I would've been that after the surge to 5K troops, there was going to have to be another surge-level event for safety's sake, or the last few hundred troops wouldn't make it out cleanly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thread

https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1432379499379838983?s=20

Whole lot of dog whistling violent revolt going on.

e:
https://twitter.com/Fritschner/status/1432412038622552065?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
drat how are we going to bipartisan our way out of bloodshed?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bulletsponge13 posted:

False equiv.

SEALs are more like Rangers- they are direct action oriented, and want young, dumb, and full of cum.

Special Forces were designed to be dropped into a hostile place and build an Army. As originally conceived, a single SF A Team could train and equip a BN of troopers in a month. While much of this has changed over GWOT, SF NEEDS maturity. You don't want 19 year old dipshit getting you killed because he won't let a man kiss him on the lips. Special Forces requires independent thought and evaluation to 2nd and 3rd order effects; DA oriented units like SEALs and Rangers don't require it to the extent SF does. SF does have a civilian pipeline; but it largely has open selection, with requirements, including a Time on Service/rank/experience. This adds a higher average age, with a higher degree of maturity.

Pipelines are also different- SEALs get combat related training almost exclusively as a base standard. SF gets language, culture, and other assorted training that allows them to teach mean with no numerical systems how many rounds a magazine holds, or basic hygiene where there are no sources of clean water, etc.

Totally different missions, with different views from the outside, and from inside.

There is absolutely nothing the SEALs do that another unit couldn't, probably better. Even in VN, where they built their rep, you can see that. You can see they are glorified amphibious light Infantry with no budget and no oversight.

Wait who's getting kissed

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

I'm amazed that after the initial images of Afghans flooding the runway and falling off C-17s in flight, the only American servicemember casualties were from a late-evac suicide bombing and 100K+ friendlies got evacuated. And somehow Biden didn't surge upon his surge - I would've been that after the surge to 5K troops, there was going to have to be another surge-level event for safety's sake, or the last few hundred troops wouldn't make it out cleanly.

Same, it’s not the same as a “victory” in a traditional sense, but something quite amazing was done by the US military. Honestly I think it’s going to be a case study, in positive aspects, for a long time.

Edit: nah gently caress making him seem like a victim by thinking I’m funny.

Also before anyone gets pissed….what happened to him was his only dumb fault.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2021

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I keep thinking that he's not really a Congressman because he lied about literally everything else in his life.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

boop the snoot posted:

I’m one of those people.

I fear emotional pain, not physical. It’s way more nuanced than that but basically I’ve been suicidal since I was about 12 and I would rather get hit by a truck than feel abandonment.

Yea, I am like that to some extend (though much less, I haven't been suicidical for many years now), in that physical discomfort and pain even are kinda things you can sorta tune out, but you cant' tune out being left out of something. Several years of therapy later and I can kind cope with being left out of something (like most things due to the Covid pandemic leading to everything being cancelled) without falling apart. Being in the Finnish army, in retrospective, was such a good experience to me most likely because you were never really alone (and it being the Finnish Defence Force meant no combat deployment to foreign countries).

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait who's getting kissed

How's it goin

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Everyone behind him looks so loving bored

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Everyone behind him looks so loving bored

And inbred.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

MACV-SOG was way better than the SEALs in Vietnam, from everything I've read.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/marcthiessen/status/1432446890164039687

Ah, the classic "keep digging" strategy.

edit: wait what
https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1432458184426414087

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 30, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Bored As gently caress posted:

They did some wild poo poo in Call of Duty: Black Ops, the best Call of Duty game ever.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

edit: wait what

quote:

In 2010, he published the book Courting Disaster: How the C.I.A. Kept America Safe and How Barack Obama Is Inviting the Next Attack, which defended the use of torture during the George W. Bush administration, and claimed that the Obama administration's rejection of torture might lead to American deaths.

gently caress that dude and his poorly-working brain.

Edit: lol enjoy your broken chinooks

https://twitter.com/nabihbulos/status/1432457587576950788

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That falls under mission sets, too.

Most SEAL missions in VN were Patrol to Contact, Ambush, or Hunt and Kill Operations. They want to make contact.

Most SOG ops were snoop and poop- avoid contact as much as possible.

I think it can be summed up in an anecdote- SEAL after action reports would read, "Intitated contact with 10-20 enemy; expended ammo, exfilled; est 8 enemy killed, 14 wounded."

Chief SOG had a plaque made of an AAR from a recon guy (close, but not exact quote) "I saw an enemy NVA regular. Khaki uniform, Chicom Chest rig and Bata boots. He was carrying a chinese made type 56 AK. I shot him in the head."

Not saying there wasn't overlap, but even in the 60s you had guys saying, "Wait- why do we need SEALs?"

E- I agree with you, and was adding additional context.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 30, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Y'all remember when Texas passed a wildly unconstitutional anti-abortion law that gave anyone a private right of action against anyone who is involved with an abortion being performed after 6 weeks of pregnancy? Here's a quick rundown of what's happened since then.

A federal district judge ruled the law is unconstitutional but does not enter an injunction immediately because the injunction portion wasn't briefed and there hadn't been a hearing. While working on briefing that topic, one defendant improvidently appeals to the fifth circuit. The fifth issues an order staying all proceedings in the lower court. The defendant who appealed with no right to do so, filed a motion to dismiss his appeal. The fifth sat on this rather than dismissing. They have now issued a briefing schedule on the matter while they could (and should) just dismiss the appeal.

As a result of the fifth's jackassery, the law is slated to go into effect on wednesday. Plaintiffs have asked the SCOTUS to issue an injunction or make the fifth do something so the district court can enjoin the law. Alito, rather than doing anything to help, gave defendants until 5 PM tomorrow to file a response to plaintiffs' emergency petition. This means that the SCOTUS is not going to act before the law goes into effect.

The practical tl;dr is that abortion is illegal in Texas after Wednesday. The conservative SCOTUS can do this over and over and effectively overturn Roe & Casey without ever hearing a case.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Another thing I heard from the GWOT secret squirrel guy was that “if you point and tell the seals the kill everyone in a compound they’re going to kill everyone in that compound. If you point at a compound and tell them to go there but don’t kill everyone in that compound they’re going to kill everyone in that compound.”

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

TheWeedNumber posted:

I’m actual curious to see some data on that. Where could I find some?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32787719/

I dont have access to the article, but this might include what you seek.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

piL posted:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32787719/

I dont have access to the article, but this might include what you seek.

Sci hub is your friend in these situations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Not to say Army SF is the pinnacle of special operations folks or infallible in any way, but my experience working with them vs the SEAL or Marine Raiders makes believe SFAS does weed out more crazies and people unable to work as a team. Obviously my sole experience is completely anecdotal, but most of the problem children I’ve dealt with were more of the too busy trying to get a deployment wife than throwing tomahawks at foreign nationals like it’s Call of Duty.

I know peer fails are absolutely a thing in SF; does SEAL training have anything similar?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The BUDS documentary is pre GWOT right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qGse7ExL9g

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

I don't have it, but someone shared an article here- TL;DR- when studied, they found one unifying factor in everyone who made it through BUDS had in common was a high rate of Traumatic Childhood Experiences- which are also used as an indicator for possibly mental health problems later, such as impulse issues, diminished decision making/risk assessment, substance abuse, domestic violence, and suicide.

Exposure to chronic traumatic experiences in childhood tends to teach dissociation as a coping mechanism, which is incredibly useful in combat. But those dudes also tend to be fantastic troops, until they aren't. Those types tend to go supernova and destroy themselves and others.

V interesting stuff

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That Works posted:

Sci hub is your friend in these situations.

Good to know. I'll let the person who actually wants the data do that. I was only going to skim it and say "Conclusions are plausible", "publicly available data set here: <insert url>" or "skimmed the study-looks like bollocks".

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It took me a minute to realize why your post unsettled me and it just hit me: what you've described as the wars end is exactly how the war began. It should be studied in a vacuum in order to replicate it if ever necessary. The lessons learned are hefty bookends sandwiching tomes of institutional inertia, like two pieces of Wonder Bread on either end of a 20 pound poo poo sandwich.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I was thinking of it almost like the Berlin airlift, but I honestly don't know enough about either to really make comparisons.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

McNally posted:

I'm just pulling this from my rear end, but if I had to guess I'd say it's so that they don't deplete their existing manpower pool of trained sailors since anyone becoming a SEAL is going to need to learn a whole new skillset anyway.

SF doesn’t get a lot from Regiment. The SMUs take mostly from the Rangers. Most SF guys come from traditional light infantry/airborne from what I’ve seen. The 82d sucks so bad that SFAS is worth it for the break alone.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

facialimpediment posted:

I gotta agree. We had a few nerve racking days there but we pulled it off. It's finally over.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Mr. Nice! posted:

Y'all remember when Texas passed a wildly unconstitutional anti-abortion law that gave anyone a private right of action against anyone who is involved with an abortion being performed after 6 weeks of pregnancy? Here's a quick rundown of what's happened since then.

A federal district judge ruled the law is unconstitutional but does not enter an injunction immediately because the injunction portion wasn't briefed and there hadn't been a hearing. While working on briefing that topic, one defendant improvidently appeals to the fifth circuit. The fifth issues an order staying all proceedings in the lower court. The defendant who appealed with no right to do so, filed a motion to dismiss his appeal. The fifth sat on this rather than dismissing. They have now issued a briefing schedule on the matter while they could (and should) just dismiss the appeal.

As a result of the fifth's jackassery, the law is slated to go into effect on wednesday. Plaintiffs have asked the SCOTUS to issue an injunction or make the fifth do something so the district court can enjoin the law. Alito, rather than doing anything to help, gave defendants until 5 PM tomorrow to file a response to plaintiffs' emergency petition. This means that the SCOTUS is not going to act before the law goes into effect.

The practical tl;dr is that abortion is illegal in Texas after Wednesday. The conservative SCOTUS can do this over and over and effectively overturn Roe & Casey without ever hearing a case.

Crossposted to the TXpol thread. Thanks for these writeups, math and law make my brain turn to mush.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

But dogs cannot play basketball!!!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

SF doesn’t get a lot from Regiment. The SMUs take mostly from the Rangers. Most SF guys come from traditional light infantry/airborne from what I’ve seen. The 82d sucks so bad that SFAS is worth it for the break alone.

The brigades at Fort Lewis get a lot of guys from 2/75 and they're nothing like the SF guys I met through my dad and uncles growing up. Honestly I would have preferred it if most of them had stayed in 2/75, they're miserable to work for. Huge micromanagers.

edit: having grown up hearing Army stories from an exclusively SF perspective, I severely underestimated how dumb being in the regular Army could be.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 31, 2021

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mustang posted:

The brigades at Fort Lewis get a lot of guys from 2/75 and they're nothing like the SF guys I met through my dad and uncles growing up. Honestly I would have preferred it if most of them had stayed in 2/75, they're miserable to work for. Huge micromanagers.

edit: having grown up hearing Army stories from an exclusively SF perspective, I severely underestimated how dumb being in the regular Army could be.

After those Rangers from Fort Lewis robbed that Tacoma bank in 2006 were there any changes to their culture?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Okay, but where the gently caress do orgs like the Intelligence Support Activity / Gray Fox / TFO get their guys? I know they have shooters, SIGINT, and CI people. Do they just recruit from regular Army counterintelligence, SIGINT, and siphon off shooters from SMUs?

I really like watching / listening to The Team House, a podcast run by Jack Murphy, former SF and journalist / author. He gets guests from everyone from CIA Ops officers or SAD, Army SF, Delta, SEALs, even had some Danish snow patrol dude. The show's a great listen while doing chores.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

Okay, but where the gently caress do orgs like the Intelligence Support Activity / Gray Fox / TFO get their guys? I know they have shooters, SIGINT, and CI people. Do they just recruit from regular Army counterintelligence, SIGINT, and siphon off shooters from SMUs?

I have it on good authority that most of that recruitment passes straight through an obscure part of Arizona, specifically

Yerma

https://youtu.be/nKTVLeUpnTw