Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
"Dorne is... Bullshit" is my favorite line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I read 20% of Ender's Game before giving up this time.

I'm making progress.

(still at 7% on Wise Man's Fear after, what, 3 years?)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The ender series is not as bad as the call of earth series, I somehow read both, shamefully.

One of the later Ender books has a story line pretty similar to Bran's Warging Into Trees thing, kinda suspiciously similar.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And I want to point out that according to GRRM in the ADWD prologue chapter 'Warging' is only when the animal/recipient is a wolf.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

The preferred term for controlling Hodor is "Hogarthing."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I too would gently caress Richard Madden. He's the folksy football announcer right?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I read 20% of Ender's Game before giving up this time.

I'm making progress.

My girlfriend has been tearing through that book, says it's one of the best books she's ever read. She mostly reads Yasmine Galenorn and Kelley Armstrong. :ughh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

My girlfriend has been tearing through that book, says it's one of the best books she's ever read. She mostly reads Yasmine Galenorn and Kelley Armstrong. :ughh:

As long as she's read A Game of Bones, I think everything will be alright.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I know this is the book reader's thread, but seriously?
The more Wire references, the better.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Man I didn't even ever read Ender's Game and that was like a requirement to be a basement-dwelling nerd growing up where I live.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Contra Calculus posted:

Man I didn't even ever read Ender's Game and that was like a requirement to be a basement-dwelling nerd growing up where I live.

It's required summer reading in most schools down in South Florida.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ender's Game is a good book, it's just that it was written by a complete rear end in a top hat.

This is what libraries are for.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ender is a loving psychopath who beats multiple people to death with his bare hands but its ok because,

Well actually it's not ok.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Smiling Jack posted:

Ender is a loving psychopath who beats multiple people to death with his bare hands but its ok because,

Well actually it's not ok.

But they all totally deserved it and if he didn't do it then they'd come back and try and hurt him again :qq:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

IRQ posted:

This is what libraries are for.

No, libraries are for illicit smooching in the encyclopedia section on the third floor. God, didn't you learn anything in law school?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

And I want to point out that according to GRRM in the ADWD prologue chapter 'Warging' is only when the animal/recipient is a wolf.

So when the eagle guy was doing it they called it...

Earging?

How does this work.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
just 'skin changing'.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The GRRM is ten pounds of poo poo in a five-pound bag half-ounce dick.

SaviourX posted:

Yo, you want to know about life down on the corners of Lotus Port? Slinging that poppy milk? About the boys touting Poppy-Pop, Pirate's Delight, Arbor Fine, all that? Trying to sell poo poo to the fiends that they don't even need 'cause it's all the princes left to us?

First thing's first, everybody thinks we all just straight Islanders down here, but it's a mix. All up and down the coast, ships every day, man. We got every shade, every colour. Folks from up in Highgarden, Pentos, Asshai, wherever. Like Slaver's Bay, only most folks that end up here end up in the bottom of a bottle or the end of a milk pipe instead of an auction.

poo poo gets hard out here for a boy near the docks, but you know, sometimes it gets real whack. My moms' brother a city watch, and he told her about some poo poo the other week, where some crates stacked on the docks cracked open in the heat and what they first thought was rotten meats was dead slaves. Stacked up to the top, sealed in tight.

Like, what the gently caress is that? And people call us backwards and violent and poo poo. I heard the captain and first mate show up two days later with no hands and no faces. poo poo like that.

I hear them pale rear end folks up north coming down here always complaining about war or how winter's so long or lord so-and-so be sweating boys delivering a package. Bet they never had to deal with a hurricane viper before. Or a blood whale. Now that poo poo is real.

Oh poo poo, look, it's Spoony! That's my main man over there with his bottom cur. I hear he makes out like a pirate down at the mines. Got gold, curs, sworn swords, a modified carriage. His name rings out! poo poo, I wish I could get up out of this here and do like he do.

We been trying to move some of the stuff they dig out on the side. My man Kajalo Xro sitting on ten keys of uncut rocks. But obsidian that ain't cut ain't worth poo poo, know what I mean? The princes be all like 'hey, no slinging this rock, we need it all' or something, but how the gently caress would they know what it's like down here. We stay on the docks and corners, they stay up in they palace. The prince stay the prince.

But on the real? I'm just trying to stay alive, one day at a time. It's hard playing at this game, but everybody trying to take they cut, right? You gotta stay in the game to get out. People say that's just life. Yeah, I bet it's the same for your streets too? Maybe, maybe not. People need that milk, though. That or something else, something worse. Maybe the people that run poo poo where you live need this poo poo to keep going. And that comes down on us, man.

But that's enough philosophizing, let me take you to the plaza and see an Anacondas game, they got some skills!

This owns so hard.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No, libraries are for illicit smooching in the encyclopedia section on the third floor. God, didn't you learn anything in law school?

You've never met a girl in law school. Hint: you have to be certifiably insane to go to law school.

That's actually all I learned at law school! :eng99:

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 652 days!)

Why would you read Ender's Game at your advanced age when there are actual books you could be reading? I hope you didn't spend any money on it. The author is a massive horrible shithead and the books are pretty bad. I would suck the poo poo out of GURM's dick before I gave OSC a dime of my money or any kind of positive attention whatsoever.

If you've already seen the trailer to the movie then the ending has been spoiled for you. Put it down.

Here's the best line:

quote:

SOMEBODY DANCE ON YOUR HEAD, MAMA. SOMEBODY EATED YOUR FACE.

-Actual dialogue from Hugo Award Winning novel Ender's Game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Enders Game is about an autistic loser who's good at playing laser tag. The end.

Oh and it's in space.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Hey now, don't poo poo on a novel because the author's a shitheel. poo poo on it because it's a terrible loving novel.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Not My Goodies posted:

If you've already seen the trailer to the movie then the ending has been spoiled for you. Put it down.

This is a bad argument. Of course Ender wins. It's a summer action film aimed at children. You'd have to be some kind of moron to, even without any prior knowledge of the story, think "oh poo poo, are they going to win?!" So why bother hiding it? It has some pretty pew pew visuals to draw in the kiddies. (Deploying the Doctor isn't even the real point of the ending anyway, as you would know.)

The real problem with the Ender's Game promo material is how they're aiming it squarely at book-readers and don't give a poo poo about trying to bring in new people. The tagline is one of the most memorable things from the book, but is garbage without the context. "The enemy's gate is down" is not an enticing line to give you a hint about the movie at all.

Besides, the real stuff the movie trailers haven't spoiled yet is Ender and Alai's homosexual relationship.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Of course I didn't pay for it. I prefer to not have my money go to the Mormon Nazi division of the tea party's Homosexual Eradication branch.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Not My Goodies posted:

Why would you read Ender's Game at your advanced age when there are actual books you could be reading? I hope you didn't spend any money on it. The author is a massive horrible shithead and the books are pretty bad. I would suck the poo poo out of GURM's dick before I gave OSC a dime of my money or any kind of positive attention whatsoever.

Here's the best line:

-Actual dialogue from Hugo Award Winning novel Ender's Game.

Don't forget to cup his balls because, after reading that quote, Ender's Game is now on my "to read" list.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

Hey now, don't poo poo on a novel because the author's a shitheel. poo poo on it because it's a terrible loving novel.

What in the hell.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I know this is the book reader's thread, but seriously?

Crossover fanfic is a staple of a WildCard diet.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

This is a bad argument. Of course Ender wins. It's a summer action film aimed at children. You'd have to be some kind of moron to, even without any prior knowledge of the story, think "oh poo poo, are they going to win?!" So why bother hiding it? It has some pretty pew pew visuals to draw in the kiddies. (Deploying the Doctor isn't even the real point of the ending anyway, as you would know.)

The real problem with the Ender's Game promo material is how they're aiming it squarely at book-readers and don't give a poo poo about trying to bring in new people. The tagline is one of the most memorable things from the book, but is garbage without the context. "The enemy's gate is down" is not an enticing line to give you a hint about the movie at all.

Besides, the real stuff the movie trailers haven't spoiled yet is Ender and Alai's homosexual relationship.

They're aiming it squarely at fans of The Hunger Games.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Of course I didn't pay for it. I prefer to not have my money go to the Mormon Nazi division of the tea party's Homosexual Eradication branch.

poo poo, I bought every book from Ender's Game to Ender's Shadow and read them all when I was way too old to know better. I mean, I got hooked when I was 10 or so but even in my early twenties I should have known better.

Someone posted a bunch of web articles in the YOPSOS sci-fi thread that were absolutely scathing indictments of various degrees and I felt like a huge chump after reading those. I even had an inkling of why the gross Others/enemies were called 'buggers' when I was in middle school but kept plowing through them.

On a lighter note, someone in the Mensa thread had an interesting observation that got plowed under in a discussion about magic and racism, and magical racism:

EmptyVessel posted:

This might have been pointed out before, but GRRM may have planted a big clue to Dany's agenda in her house words.
Take a look at this real world standard/flag
and the crest of the organisation it belongs to.
Makes you think.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dany will place a middle-aged man in a sweater vest in the centre court of every mall in Westeros, and in this way collect taxes willingly from the peasantry?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

What in the hell.

This article gets at the major problems with the book.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Don't forget to cup his balls because, after reading that quote, Ender's Game is now on my "to read" list.

Did you really pull that quote for your avatar just now?

Fair warning, OSC is twice the pedophile GURM is. The kids spend half the book naked being uncomfortably physical with one another. Ender kills a kid by crushing his testicles as they wrestle in the shower.

[/spoiler]

The twist isn't that he wins, it's that there's a space battle going on at all. That's the gut punch at the end, the whole point of the story. Ender is Hitler Jesus Oppenheimer Skywalker.

E: If/when the GURM expires before finishing the series I hope they give it to OSC just so I can read a thread so bad it threatens to blot out the sun.

Sexgun Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 15, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Did you really think they wouldn't show that, though? Again, summer scifi blockbuster.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Welcome to Battle Scherf.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So, I haven't been following since shortly after the abject failure of ADWD : has there been any signs of him working on anything at all, ever? Like, even mowing the loving lawn or something. Checking his e-mail inbox. Anything.

Or, even better : has he died of poo poo-cock?

Lemoncakes?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
He's apparently got "1500 pages" of TWOW done. So, y'know. I'm sure we'll get it in a year or three.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Xiahou Dun posted:

So, I haven't been following since shortly after the abject failure of ADWD : has there been any signs of him working on anything at all, ever? Like, even mowing the loving lawn or something. Checking his e-mail inbox. Anything.

Or, even better : has he died of poo poo-cock?

Lemoncakes?

There's a couple of sample chapters floating around the internet. They're alright, but they were all originally written for ADWD and there's no actual evidence he's written anything but football commentary since 2011. He's edited some Wild Cards stuff and has supposedly contributed short stories to a few different collections, most awesomely one with Joe Abercrombie and Clive Barker among others.

Go read Imajica, fantasy nerds. Clive Barker knows how to meander with panache.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

You take that back. As a civil service if nothing else.

Imajica is utter and complete poo poo. And this is coming from somebody that managed to get through the first 5 sequels to The Black Company books.

Why would you touch that poo poo when Tim Powers or anyone decent is still alive?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I wonder if HBO added a bonus for if he finished the next books by given dates.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

Xiahou Dun posted:

You take that back. As a civil service if nothing else.

Imajica is utter and complete poo poo. And this is coming from somebody that managed to get through the first 5 sequels to The Black Company books.

Why would you touch that poo poo when Tim Powers or anyone decent is still alive?

I will not take it back. It's imaginative and unconventional if a little bloated. It's also finished which automatically makes it better than ASOIAF.

I've never read any Tim Powers but it looks like he writes jaunty adventure books, which isn't even remotely comparable to Imajica's dreamlike metaphysical fuckery.

E: I'll check out Anubis Gates though that looks pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Anubis Gates is what I meant in particular : it is really, really kicking rad. I was a couple minute late for teaching once because I chose to read it in my office over, you know, walking or whatever.

On Stranger Tides is also amazing.

They both, however, lack a loving ghost or whatever watching two people gently caress in a library and pretending you give any fucks, so it won't have that Imajica feel.