Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
LCG's are like M:TG in a box, right? Just build a couple of decks beforehand and only take those to game night with your buddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I guess that could work, yeah. Ideally he'd want to be able to build his own deck, though. Plus, at least in the case of Doomtown and Netrunner, the boards are pretty helpful in that they have the rules printed on them and stuff.

Edit: Wow, Mr. Jack Pocket looks perfect. It's absurdly compact!

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 13, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Taear posted:

I would say it's like the change between Imperial Assault and Descent in many things. Classes are gone as a seperate thing for example.

While many of the goals are the same it's definitely quite a different experience. I wouldn't say it's a total departure from the way the old game worked - like Descent 1st and 2nd are - but it's certainly different. It's a bit more than just the rough edges taken off though, I don't think that covers it quite enough.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at it sometime. A friend and I went through a phase where we played Runebound a few times, but we lost interest and I haven't touched it for over 5 years now.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Alright, so I wanted to give people in this thread a shot at this before I offer these up elsewhere. I can ship anywhere in the lower 48 for free through my gf's work. I also don't have platinum, so if you're interested in one or more of the games, fire off an email to BoardMcGames at gmail. We can work out the details there, and I think Paypal is probably gonna be the easiest form of payment.

Abyss - $25 - Slight scuffs on the edges of the box, components are like new, only played twice.

Code of Nine - $20 - Like new, played once.

Epic Resort - $20 - Like new, played once.

Infinite City - $20 - Like new, never played.

Nuns on the Run - $20 - Like new, never played.

Ryu - $20 - Like new, played twice.

Space Cadets - Dice Duel - $25 - Like new, played once.

Time 'n' Space - $25 - Like new, played once.

It's not that any of these games are bad, but I'm out of room on my shelves and they just didn't catch the interest of any of my usual gaming groups (also my GF doesn't like real-time mechanics, so Space Cadets and Time n Space were doomed from the start).

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

I feel your pain. I recently got rid of Dice Duel myself because I'm in the same situation. But no way in hell I'm selling Space Alert. I'll find 3 people to play it with. Some day. Hopefully before I die.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

theroachman posted:

I feel your pain. I recently got rid of Dice Duel myself because I'm in the same situation. But no way in hell I'm selling Space Alert. I'll find 3 people to play it with. Some day. Hopefully before I die.

I've said these exact same words.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

First impressions based on one game Trickerion is that it's pretty solid, but the base game doesn't really add too much in the way of innovation. Like, aside from the theme, there wasn't a lot of "wow" factor, but I liked what I saw. There's a bit of engine building with the tricks you pick, there's a bit of Dungeon Lords-esque style worker placement, and there's a lot of interaction and parasiting off others with the way the performances work. It's a Euro game through and through, but there's a good amount of interaction, which I suppose is good enough for some. The start is pretty goddamn slow though. The theme is pretty key to the entire thing, too, since there's a lot of novelty to having a game about competing magicians.

However, we didn't have time to play the advanced game, and that's apparently where the game really shines, since it brings in the asymmetrical (magician powers) and tactical elements (prophecies that change the rules every round).

The game is kinda hard to teach though since everything about Performances is sorta hard to teach initially, despite it being sorta easy in play.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

GrandpaPants posted:

First impressions based on one game Trickerion is that it's pretty solid, but the base game doesn't really add too much in the way of innovation. Like, aside from the theme, there wasn't a lot of "wow" factor, but I liked what I saw. There's a bit of engine building with the tricks you pick, there's a bit of Dungeon Lords-esque style worker placement, and there's a lot of interaction and parasiting off others with the way the performances work. It's a Euro game through and through, but there's a good amount of interaction, which I suppose is good enough for some. The start is pretty goddamn slow though. The theme is pretty key to the entire thing, too, since there's a lot of novelty to having a game about competing magicians.

However, we didn't have time to play the advanced game, and that's apparently where the game really shines, since it brings in the asymmetrical (magician powers) and tactical elements (prophecies that change the rules every round).

The game is kinda hard to teach though since everything about Performances is sorta hard to teach initially, despite it being sorta easy in play.

Hey that sounds *exactly* like my first play!

Sounds like really I should try it again with advanced rules, I really kinda disliked the game as-is, but it sounds like the extra stuff really do make it better.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

From Daedelus Productions; it's designed to hold the base game and all three expansions, but all I have is the base game because you can't find Lost Legion for less than $100 anymore.

I see these guys also do one for Eldritch Horror, and I could really use some better storage for that. Are these guys worth it or is there a better EH solution out there? :buddy:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

I see these guys also do one for Eldritch Horror, and I could really use some better storage for that. Are these guys worth it or is there a better EH solution out there? :buddy:

It took a while for the kit to get here, but it was pretty easy to glue together and the wood comes pre-stained with the labels etched in so they work as on-table storage too. It probably only took me like two hours or so to assemble all that.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
So roughly .75 Eldritch-Horror-setups.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm going to get Argent sometime in the next two weeks - are there any expansions that are must-buys?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Morpheus posted:

I'm going to get Argent sometime in the next two weeks - are there any expansions that are must-buys?

Mancers of the University is a lot of good stuff in one package but unless you're buying up to a certain dollar threshold for free shipping or something I'd get some games with the base set in to see if you even like it. I mean I like it but we just had some folks talking about how they felt underwhelmed by it, so if you can I'd see if it's even your cup of tea first.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought I was short some cage addons in dungeon petz and it does look like I'm missing one (thought it was more but apparently there's only six total?) I've got 2x anger 2x magic 1x play, am I remembering right that the missing one is food (meat)? I don't *think* I'm missing anything else though I should probably do a big ol count of everything, if it was a missing board and not just a piece I've dropped does anyone have any idea what else might have been attached to it to make it a bit easier to check? I'll probably just proxy in another strip of board for the food addon as I can't imagine it's worthwhile getting the publisher to ship me a replacement internationally

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Mancers is just more stuff - It doesn't significantly change the game. The Spring Break mini expansion has a great intro/learning scenario, but you can find the rules online and you dont actually need the cards to play it.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Ayn Randi posted:

I thought I was short some cage addons in dungeon petz and it does look like I'm missing one (thought it was more but apparently there's only six total?) I've got 2x anger 2x magic 1x play, am I remembering right that the missing one is food (meat)? I don't *think* I'm missing anything else though I should probably do a big ol count of everything, if it was a missing board and not just a piece I've dropped does anyone have any idea what else might have been attached to it to make it a bit easier to check? I'll probably just proxy in another strip of board for the food addon as I can't imagine it's worthwhile getting the publisher to ship me a replacement internationally

My copy came with a blank cage + addon for (im assuming) this exact purpose

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

drat, D-Day Dice looks super cool, shame it seems to be out of print or something (I can only find the base game for $90+).

I was thinking about picking up Doomtown for a friend and I to play, but then I realized how unwieldy an LCG could get because I have to lug it on the bus and the subway into Boston. Once I start adding expansions that's just not going to be feasible anymore.

So! That being said, does anyone have recommendations for a game fitting these criteria? I'm looking for something that's compact enough to reasonably carry on a subway (fitting in a backpack would be ideal, but not strictly necessary) that can play well with 2 people? (Expanding to 3 or 4 would be a bonus but again, not necessary.) Co-op or competitive is fine. Not taking up a ton of table space would be nice too, but we could make do unless it starts getting to FFG proportions. Something like Bang! Dice would work really well if that game didn't work best with 5 or 6 players, but I'd also like something with a little more meat to it than that.

Yeah, this is vague as poo poo, but look into Hanabi, that one has lived in my backpack for ages. Diamonsters is good too, if you repackage it, and Carcasonne might also fit in smaller bags.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

theroachman posted:

Play solo. The truest Space Alert experience.

Actually I have a semi-regular group now, even if we're only 3 people :3:

Evil Mastermind posted:

From Daedelus Productions; it's designed to hold the base game and all three expansions, but all I have is the base game because you can't find Lost Legion for less than $100 anymore.
Anything similar for Eurogoons?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clockwork Gadget posted:

So roughly .75 Eldritch-Horror-setups.

It's teardown that takes the time with EH, not setup.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at it sometime. A friend and I went through a phase where we played Runebound a few times, but we lost interest and I haven't touched it for over 5 years now.

It's really enjoyable. I would say it can be a bit iffy if you're playing it two player regularly (which we are) but it still works.
I hope they get some new stuff out for it soon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I get a little too involved when playing Mastermind in Tragedy Looper. I'm talking about losing friends here. I'm non-confrontational as gently caress, but this game makes me gloat.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Masterminds are supposed to gloat. Your friends are big babies for not admiring your immersive roleplay.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Play solo. The truest Space Alert experience.

Actually I have a semi-regular group now, even if we're only 3 people :3:

I've considered this. I should check out the rules for this again, but from what I've gathered, it's basically insane. I guess it will at least help with the rules explanation, which is the first hurdle towards getting people to play this with me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Not really. Well, it's stressful, but given that you can sort out the cards beforehand and should have a very clear plan that you don't need to communicate to others, it's doable. Rules are: you have the entire deck at your disposal (besides power cards, IIRC) and play with 4 androids.

Obligatory Ricky Royal video.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

It took a while for the kit to get here, but it was pretty easy to glue together and the wood comes pre-stained with the labels etched in so they work as on-table storage too. It probably only took me like two hours or so to assemble all that.

Actually, it looks like shipping to Australia knocks this out of my price range. Guess who's building their own insert! :buddy:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

This matches my feelings. It seems that without the Dark alley expansion there are just too few slots

Also we messed up with components and were spending them to prepare tricks.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

For Eldritch Horror, the Eldritch Companion app (Android) is outstanding. It's up-to-date with the latest expansion, and it eliminates the need to have many of the stacks of cards laid out:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=reynier.eldritchcompanion&hl=en

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Well, this is the most :stare: game Kickstarter I've seen in a while.

Kings of streets LA [sic]

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

The_Doctor posted:

I couldn't finish reading the description. Grammar is hard, I know, but for the love of all that is language, get someone to edit it!

As for what I did manage to read, this game is an incredibly stupid variant of "Truth or Dare".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
To everyone here that ever recommended or lauded the enjoyment they had playing Tales of the Arabian Nights I hope you all get given Talisman and/or Munchkin by your relatives and they absolutely insist you play it with them right away; for the entire day! Six hours, it took six hours to play a game of Tales of the Arabian Nights; a game that has fairly limited player agency and a fairly unsatisfying conclusion.

You: "I need Story, I hope I get Story with this event card"
Game: "Nope gently caress you, you get even more Destiny and also you are also enslaved; good luck buying your way out of that, I hope you randomly find a card that gives you wealth at some point."
You: "But I offered Aid to the character, why did they enslave me?"
Game: "Because that is what the book says, deal with it."

I don't think it's the worst game ever and needs to be purged by fire, but if it takes 1 hour per player added it should be a 3-4 player game max. Also if I want to tell a crazy story and have a fun night of bullshitting with friends there are dozens of RPG one shots that would do a better job and require 99% less "looking poo poo up on a table and reading a passage from a book".

3/10 might play again if it's a 3 player game.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
What reviews did you read that told you it was good with more than 4?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Four is the most I'll play it with and we always set a timer for as long as we feel like playing rather than use the end goal. Also I have an android app that handles the looking up tables for you. I don't think anyone here has claimed it to be an actual good game, so I'm not sure who your rant is directed at.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Indolent Bastard posted:

To everyone here that ever recommended or lauded the enjoyment they had playing Tales of the Arabian Nights I hope you all get given Talisman and/or Munchkin by your relatives and they absolutely insist you play it with them right away; for the entire day! Six hours, it took six hours to play a game of Tales of the Arabian Nights; a game that has fairly limited player agency and a fairly unsatisfying conclusion.

My rules for playing Tales of the Arabian Nights

Rule #1: Make sure everyone know that TotAN isn't really a game, it's an adventure.
Rule #2: TotAN is not a game you play to win. Just enjoy it.
Rule #3: Don't choose your Destiny/Story targets at the start. You found out the hard way they're awarded basically at random and are impossible to actually aim for. Just play until someone reaches a combined total of 20.
Rule #4: If people are getting boring, end the game. Similarly, if someone reaches 20 points and people want to keep playing, then keep playing! Just end it when people get bored or tired.
Rule #5: Three is the best player count, four is tolerable as long as people keep it moving. Never play with five or six.
Rule #6: poo poo happens, deal with it. You got turned into a glass snake, that's pretty awesome, don't loving moan about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just saw someone say that Warhammer Quest: ACG sounded like a "more serious version of Munchkin".

:negative:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just saw someone say that Warhammer Quest: ACG sounded like a "more serious version of Munchkin".

:negative:

Is it based on Pathfinder: ACG? Because then, "advanced munchkin" would be a pretty good descriptor. gently caress that game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scyther posted:

Is it based on Pathfinder: ACG? Because then, "advanced munchkin" would be a pretty good descriptor. gently caress that game.

No, it's by FFG, and actually has gameplay and choices that matter.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The_Doctor posted:

"Tell us the first rule of Homer Simpson"

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

The_Doctor posted:

I'm a big fan of Nazi history monopoly

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Mastermind posted:

No, it's by FFG, and actually has gameplay and choices that matter.

I'd heard that the Pathfinder ACG was decent, what's up with it?

Also that kickstarter is wonderful. I'm surprised they don't close it down when it has such awful engrish all over it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey Y'all Pax Pamir is in stock at Cardhaus.