Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Fashion Souls advice: Good armor choices for a hollowed-out battlemage type character? Currently wearing northerner armor, sorcerer pants, and sellsword gloves. I have my eye on the Abyss Watcher set eventually. The Fallen Knight set is good but only the main piece. Basically I want lots of swishiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
For the summonable NPCs who give you gestures, like the Londor Pale Shade, do they give the gesture when you summon them or only after beating the boss?

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
I joined a phantom fight club in Irithyll last night. Was brought in to see two reds fighting while two other reds and the host watched on. When one red was victorious, the next one would hop down to take the loser's place. It was all very orderly with everyone waiting their turn, nobody healing during matches, appropriate applause, and the host summoning red to keep it going.

As the lone purple, I won my three matches and was sent home with a vertebra shackle. :smugdog: Would phantom-fight-club again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Fashion Souls advice: Good armor choices for a hollowed-out battlemage type character? Currently wearing northerner armor, sorcerer pants, and sellsword gloves. I have my eye on the Abyss Watcher set eventually. The Fallen Knight set is good but only the main piece. Basically I want lots of swishiness.

Leonhard's set and the Black Hand Armor are pretty nice and have good, swishy capes. Leonhard's mask would be pretty cool for a hollowed-out character to hide his grotesque visage, too.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Eldred posted:

For the summonable NPCs who give you gestures, like the Londor Pale Shade, do they give the gesture when you summon them or only after beating the boss?

Right when you summon them. You can get the gesture and banish them no prob.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Deified Data posted:

What about the dancer set? It unlocks at the shrine handmaiden after a certain boss.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wish I could get the Sunset Armor earlier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Digirat posted:

You have never gone through the depth 5 chalice dungeons have you

that's just ng++ level enemies, defiled is where it's at. tho you take more damage in bloodborne than in the souls games even without doing defiled dungeons

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deified Data posted:

You and me both, buddy.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well I just bought the game. How do I view my frame rates in game? I'm just curious if I can/should set my settings to max or high (GTX 970). Also what's up with that crystal boss in the tutorial? The boss says to turn back and well I tried to fight it a few times and got my rear end handed to me. What are these shadowy things I keep seeing running around? I thought at first they were like my "ghost" ala racing games but then I realize it can't be because I haven't gotten that far yet.

e: That was on a PC if it wasn't obvious.

e2: Is the game set up so I can actually miss things and I'm SOL forever?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 6, 2016

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well I just bought the game. How do I view my frame rates in game? I'm just curious if I can/should set my settings to max or high (GTX 970). Also what's up with that crystal boss in the tutorial? The boss says to turn back and well I tried to fight it a few times and got my rear end handed to me. What are these shadowy things I keep seeing running around? I thought at first they were like my "ghost" ala racing games but then I realize it can't be because I haven't gotten that far yet.

Not a boss, just an enemy you're meant to come back to later or beat in creative ways that I won't spoil.

Shadowy things are other players.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

the crystal thing isn't a boss, it's just a crystal lizard on steroids. it drops a rare upgrade material and a lot of souls (for where you are in the game) if you kill it, but you can just leave it for later. it'll still be there when you come back

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Welcome to Dark Souls. That's an optional enemy you are trying to face that is tough to kill in the intro area, but it's doable (I did it on my first try.) The ghosts you see are other players that are in the same area of the game as you. You don't interact with them, it's just a little thing to show you what others are do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Max posted:

Welcome to Dark Souls. That's an optional enemy you are trying to face that is tough to kill in the intro area, but it's doable (I did it on my first try.) The ghosts you see are other players that are in the same area of the game as you. You don't interact with them, it's just a little thing to show you what others are do.

Oh that's neat. Are the people/souls running around in real time or is it some kind of delayed/recording?

e: Is there a way I can play this game in Windowed full screen mode?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I killed Hodrick when I entered the Pit just so I could try to get this

I later learned that I have to help Sirris kill the guy just to get it

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh that's neat. Are the people/souls running around in real time or is it some kind of delayed/recording?

I'd like to know this too, I always thought there must be some delay but sometimes you see someone's ghost gesturing at a bonfire and I always wondered if they're also seeing me or if they just did that 15 minutes earlier.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, my personal favourite is the ancient dragon greatshield, it looks just like the adjudicator's shield and shares the same HP regen. There's also a regenerator's ring (sun princess ring) and a blessed infusion that gives health regen as well. All these things have been absent ever since Demon's Souls.

Even the jailers of both games are very similar, they hold lanterns, shuffle the same way, and have an animation that one-shots you unless you stack vigor.

Those who has never played Demon's Souls really should. It is shocking how much FROM nailed it the first time round, 90% of features in DS3 are already there with the exception of covenants. The crows you trade poo poo with, the summons, invasions and fight clubs, the weapon enforcements and infusions, the UI, etc etc etc it's all there. One of the best games ever made.

I made a huge write-up of this earlier but yes, 100%. This is Demon's Souls 2 almost as much as it is Dark Souls 3. My personal favorite callback has been how they just straight up put Yuria the Witch in the game and only changed her name and a little bit of her personality.

From, just throw enough money at Sony already and connect the two games, dammit! :argh: Umbassa.

Also, comments from people who know how to build characters on this Luck/Dex build? https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/7470

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cultisto posted:

I'd like to know this too, I always thought there must be some delay but sometimes you see someone's ghost gesturing at a bonfire and I always wondered if they're also seeing me or if they just did that 15 minutes earlier.

It may not be happening 1:1 to real time, but there is definitely not a long delay. An example is that I've been waiting around for a friend to summon me and we can see each other's phantoms before it happens.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dark souls 1 was demon's souls 2. dark souls 3 is just a bunch of call backs to every previous souls game, including bloodborne (irithyll in particular is incredibly bloodborne-esque)

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cultisto posted:

The ghosts are from a few seconds in the past. I know because I've killed someone in PVP, went back to my world, and saw their ghost of them dying to me :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

dark souls 1 was demon's souls 2. dark souls 3 is just a bunch of call backs to every previous souls game, including bloodborne (irithyll in particular is incredibly bloodborne-esque)

The catacombs felt pretty bloodborney to me personally as well.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I;m catching up with this thread and just got to the Aldrich and Nito chat. I thought Aldrich linked the fire, that's why he's a Lord, so maybe he himself was a chosen undead? Like he "played DS1" and actually physically ate the bosses instead of just taking their souls. That makes sense with Smough being the last knight who tried to stop him; that's literally true in DS1

It's weird how 2 was like "everything irrevocably changed centuries ago and only faint echoes of lordran are left in the lord souls" and 3 is "nope it's still there" but I guess that's why they talk about converging worlds and time travel.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Mound Makers would be great if people would actually like, play along.

Most of the time people just treat it as a red sign. I did too, but then I thought that's just what red signs were in this game. Perhaps if Leonhard was all like "oh you're probably one of those :rolleyes: honorable :rolleyes: dark spirits. Here, take this and don't waste my time" if you had a white soapstone in your inventory and gave you a red soapstone right at the start of the game it would cause less confusion.

Also if you could go through the fog wall and turn into a regular white phantom and get a shackle for defeating the boss it would make the "hey i can damage you but let's be friends!" pretense not a totally meaningless pleasantry. Because then you genuinely don't know how the mad phantom you just summoned actually intends to earn their shackle whereas right now there's clearly only one way that's going to go down.

I do really like the idea and it's amazingly good fun when the host actually plays along, probably my favourite aspect of DS3 in fact, but it just feels like the concept wasn't fully thought through.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The catacombs felt pretty bloodborney to me personally as well.

That makes sense, given how much it looks like they used a ton of Chalice Dungeon resources there (and in the ruins in Smouldering Lake). I'm not sure if they're actually resources straight out of Bloodborne, but they sure look like 'em.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
After DS2 it's kind of extremely funny how the game's all like "Please let me give you a Red Eye Orb!!!!11" right out the gate whereas the Red Soapstone is available like, midgame at the earliest.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Huh, according to the current AR mugenmonkey calculator for Dark Souls 3, a Refined +10 Winged Knight Halberd with 40 Strength/20 Dexterityy is marginally better than Gundyr's Halberd, which with the same stats beats out Black Knight Halberd by 30 points. That's interesting, because while all three halberd's have great weapon arts the Winged Knight's beats out the other two In my opinion because it's just spin to win until you run out of stamina. And with these same stats the difference between a Black Knight Greataxe and a Dragonslayer's Greataxe is marginal, like, less than ten point difference (BKGA has 652 AR with 40 Str/20 Dex) EXCEPT when you factor in the innate Lightning damage on the Dragonslayer Greataxe it means the BKGA should be superior to it. Without the Lightning damage added on the Dragonslayer Greataxe AR is 500 something, can't remember.

EDIT: Forgot to say what the Winged Knight Halberd's AR was 468 as opposed to Gundyr's 462.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Harrow posted:

That makes sense, given how much it looks like they used a ton of Chalice Dungeon resources there (and in the ruins in Smouldering Lake). I'm not sure if they're actually resources straight out of Bloodborne, but they sure look like 'em.

Same goes for the lower bits of Smouldering Lake, which feels like someone dropped some lava into Pthumeru.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

High SL Mules have completely ruined invasions. The amount of carebears thumping around a Great Axe or Swordspear for SL40 hosts now is crazy.

It was really fun having a 3 or 4v1 rumble as a invader, but not getting 2 shot by higher SL players which the matchmaking just lets in.

If the scaling down is there its obviously broken (some kind of scaling broken in DS3, shocking)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

The catacombs felt pretty Chalice Dungeony to me personally as well.

Fixed

Monomythian posted:

High SL Mules have completely ruined invasions. The amount of carebears thumping around a Great Axe or Swordspear for SL40 hosts now is crazy.

It was really fun having a 3 or 4v1 rumble as a invader, but not getting 2 shot by higher SL players which the matchmaking just lets in.

If the scaling down is there its obviously broken (some kind of scaling broken in DS3, shocking)

Pretty sure you can nab a Great Axe from the great axe hollows at High Wall, so literally a few steps away from the first bonfire in the first real area. It'd be a waste to mule over, unless they really don't want to grind.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 6, 2016

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

Mr Dog posted:

Mound Makers would be great if people would actually like, play along.

Most of the time people just treat it as a red sign. I did too, but then I thought that's just what red signs were in this game. Perhaps if Leonhard was all like "oh you're probably one of those :rolleyes: honorable :rolleyes: dark spirits. Here, take this and don't waste my time" if you had a white soapstone in your inventory and gave you a red soapstone right at the start of the game it would cause less confusion.

Also if you could go through the fog wall and turn into a regular white phantom and get a shackle for defeating the boss it would make the "hey i can damage you but let's be friends!" pretense not a totally meaningless pleasantry. Because then you genuinely don't know how the mad phantom you just summoned actually intends to earn their shackle whereas right now there's clearly only one way that's going to go down.

I do really like the idea and it's amazingly good fun when the host actually plays along, probably my favourite aspect of DS3 in fact, but it just feels like the concept wasn't fully thought through.

I once invaded someone in the catacombs as a purple spirit and just kept dodging all the lightning spears they threw at me.

I then got my shackle cause I was spamming I'm sorry carvings as he got dunked by the giant skeleboulder.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Gologle posted:

Huh, according to the current AR mugenmonkey calculator for Dark Souls 3, a Refined +10 Winged Knight Halberd with 40 Strength/20 Dexterityy is marginally better than Gundyr's Halberd, which with the same stats beats out Black Knight Halberd by 30 points. That's interesting, because while all three halberd's have great weapon arts the Winged Knight's beats out the other two In my opinion because it's just spin to win until you run out of stamina. And with these same stats the difference between a Black Knight Greataxe and a Dragonslayer's Greataxe is marginal, like, less than ten point difference (BKGA has 652 AR with 40 Str/20 Dex) EXCEPT when you factor in the innate Lightning damage on the Dragonslayer Greataxe it means the BKGA should be superior to it. Without the Lightning damage added on the Dragonslayer Greataxe AR is 500 something, can't remember.

EDIT: Forgot to say what the Winged Knight Halberd's AR was 468 as opposed to Gundyr's 462.

It seems like the Refined infusion swings the late-game balance of weapons pretty heavily in favor of weapons that can be infused. The exception might be weapons that scale with a silly number of stats, like Anri's Straight Sword.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
Hidden Body and Lingering Dragoncrest means you can just backstab them and step back and repeat until they're all backstabbed to death... it's pretty cheap though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gologle posted:

Unless it got fixed that calculator significantly overestimates the AR of 40/40 refined weapons.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
So, I just got invaded by the Pale Shade of Londor in Irithyll. Which is kinda weird, since I'm pretty sure he's only supposed to show up if you piss off Yuria. And I never even enountered Yuria on this character.
Kinda annoyed by that, considering he killed me before I could find a shortcut or another bonfire, and thus I have to go through the room full of nasty bug ladies again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Leonhard's set and the Black Hand Armor are pretty nice and have good, swishy capes. Leonhard's mask would be pretty cool for a hollowed-out character to hide his grotesque visage, too.

Ooh, you gave me an idea. How about the Exile Mask?

Now there's a guy who's ashamed of his appearance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Notorious QIG posted:

Same goes for the lower bits of Smouldering Lake, which feels like someone dropped some lava into Pthumeru.

Smouldering Lake somehow feels even more rushed than Lost Izalith did.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't know if I'd go that far.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
High strength build with the need to swing the largest most ridiculous poo poo. I want to spend my resources wisely:

Smough's Great Hammer

or

Fume UGS

Anyone have any experience or opinion on which one to upgrade?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
By the way: I Love the level design in this game. It's seriously, profoundly good. There are enough branches and loops and general non linearity that as a first timer, I really feel like I'm exploring, but then whenever I'm making a boss run or a soul collection run or otherwise looking for a quick route from point A to point B, it always turns out there's a fast way to get there, even if i was totally lost before.

The overall structure is pretty linear, but I don't care, because the levels themselves are so good. The two times that I've had a choice of which required levels to do (cathedral vs. carthus, aldrich path vs. yhorm path) it's suffered a little from the same thing that happened at the end of 1 and everywhere in 2: the difficulty spikes at first, declines a lot, and then spikes again when the paths meet up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Full Metal Jackass posted:

High strength build with the need to swing the largest most ridiculous poo poo. I want to spend my resources wisely:

Smough's Great Hammer

or

Fume UGS

Anyone have any experience or opinion on which one to upgrade?
Smough's. It's much better to kill people with a ridiculous looking weapon.