Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol biannual.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some of SMG's Star Wars posts are entertaining to read but I'm not really sure where he got the "Kylo Ren had to kill Han Solo because anti-capitalist Christian atheism demanded it" (or whatever it was - it was along those lines) angle from.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean that's kind of his thing, right? Presenting ridiculous theses that he doesn't even try to support with anything from the film that he never develops in any way as if they're all totally self-evident?

I used to find it annoying but now I realize it's just lazy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He literally just makes things up and uses big words to sound smarter than he actually is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’m not sure how many this needs to be said, but other subforums and users in those subs are not a topic of discussion for this thread.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Saw it last night. Was excellent. Great pacing, great effects, amazing characters, good themeing, all the works. The only complaint is that the fight choreography was only serviceable, with a few fights that were downright awful (M'Baku vs T'Challa had garbage shaky cam, and their weapon choreography was the worst ever).

Too many things to like that have probably been dissected to hell and back, but I think the biggest victory the movie has is that it lives and breathes its setting. I think back to Thor, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman and some others with an exotic setting that sees its main character leave it for something else, which usually makes the first act feel bad since we barely touch upon the locations shown in it. Here, Wakanda just gets more important as we go on, and we explore it even further. It's great.

M'Baku not getting to fight that rhino was a crime, however.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

X-O posted:

I’m not sure how many this needs to be said, but other subforums and users in those subs are not a topic of discussion for this thread.
I'm sorry, but at this point I have to ask...why?

Okay, yeah, threads being derailed is annoying, and I definitely don't want there to be some childish cross-forums sniping going on, but BSS talks poo poo about dumb people who deserve poo poo talk, including ourselves, all the time. I don't get why it's been somehow extra really more bad and...what, against forums ethos?...to bag on CineD (or just SMG, let's be real) in particular like all of a sudden we have to be super careful to not be too mean or derail-y about this one single thing.

I mean, I also ultimately don't care if we get to or not. I just want to be able to bitch about absolutely anything and everything. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As apology for further derails I offer my favorite reaction to Black Panther yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Read about a scene that almost made it into the movie but was deleted at the last second, with Coogler fighting to the end for it, with W'Kabi and Okoye having a discussion about their opposing views in regards to Killmonger after he takes power. That probably should have been left in, I think; Kaluuya's character is just a bit underdeveloped and the relationship between them needed a bit more fleshing out.

Movie's still great, the more I think about it the more I like it. Might end up being my favorite one of these.

e: here it is: https://io9.gizmodo.com/theres-one-black-panther-deleted-scene-ryan-coogler-fou-1823188204

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Saw it last night. Was excellent. Great pacing, great effects, amazing characters, good themeing, all the works. The only complaint is that the fight choreography was only serviceable, with a few fights that were downright awful (M'Baku vs T'Challa had garbage shaky cam, and their weapon choreography was the worst ever).

Too many things to like that have probably been dissected to hell and back, but I think the biggest victory the movie has is that it lives and breathes its setting. I think back to Thor, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman and some others with an exotic setting that sees its main character leave it for something else, which usually makes the first act feel bad since we barely touch upon the locations shown in it. Here, Wakanda just gets more important as we go on, and we explore it even further. It's great.

M'Baku not getting to fight that rhino was a crime, however.

I've seen multiple reviews say it reminded them a lot of Star Wars in that its setting was so compelling that you want to know every little detail about everything.

Hopefully in the sequel they explore more what function the Black Panther serves in Wakandan society/culture beyond just "protector". I'm glad they are already nodding in the direction of its connection to the afterlife.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Arist posted:

Read about a scene that almost made it into the movie but was deleted at the last second, with Coogler fighting to the end for it, with W'Kabi and Okoye having a discussion about their opposing views in regards to Killmonger after he takes power. That probably should have been left in, I think; Kaluuya's character is just a bit underdeveloped and the relationship between them needed a bit more fleshing out.

Movie's still great, the more I think about it the more I like it. Might end up being my favorite one of these.

e: here it is: https://io9.gizmodo.com/theres-one-black-panther-deleted-scene-ryan-coogler-fou-1823188204

Yeah, W'Kabi's betrayal and his relationship with Okoye are both pretty underdeveloped. Wish that had been left in.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, W'Kabi's betrayal and his relationship with Okoye are both pretty underdeveloped. Wish that had been left in.

Yeah his character is most people's biggest criticism with the film. That's a shame.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Yeah his character is most people's biggest criticism with the film. That's a shame.

I know I'm not the first person to bring this up, but I still don't understand why T'Challa doesn't even bother telling him that Killmonger broke Klaue out.

More generally, the film just rushes too quickly in the second half from Killmonger arriving in Wakanda to Killmonger seizing the throne to Killmonger leading an army in civil war. It could really have used another scene or two fleshing out how the rest of Wakanda feels about him before the climax kicks in.

Granted, the scenes along those lines we do get (Nakia and Okoye's argument, the Heart-Shaped Herb burning) are still more than most of the other MCU films have managed.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Arist posted:

I almost forgot they were even a couple until she was standing in front of a charging rhino.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Barry Convex posted:

I know I'm not the first person to bring this up, but I still don't understand why T'Challa doesn't even bother telling him that Killmonger broke Klaue out.

T'challa didn't know who it was. He didn't even see Killmonger iirc, and if he did Killmonger was wearing that mask.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 21, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, T'Challa doesn't find out who the man who freed Klaue was until the next scene when he talks to Zuri.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

hmm, maybe I misremembered that. Well, I'm seeing it again in a bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He has opportunities, just not the first time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

He could've mentioned it when Killmonger had his big reveal in the throne room, but I'm not too pressed that he didn't. Winning W'Kabi back was probably the last thing on T'Challa's mind at the moment.

And honestly, Killmonger probably would've busted out some 12th dimensional "I was just working with him...until I could betray him and bring you your justice!" rationale which is...technically?...true.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When Killmonger arrives in the throne room, though, not only has he proven himself by killing Klaue, he then reveals who his father was, a revelation that completely undermines not just T'Chaka's authority but T'Challa's as well. It justifiably overshadows everything else. That he helped Klaue escape doesn't matter anymore (and one can argue that T'Challa had already failed to deal with Klaue at that point when he didn't kill him in Busan, meaning that he still came off as weak).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He has opportunities, just not the first time.

He kidnapped him to murder him. That's what Killmonger could have said.

Honestly I got what was happening with W'kabi, that he was irritated and disappointed with T'challa for not keeping his promises. But I think the bit earlier about him wanting to swamp the world with Wakanda's armies is the more important motivation. And here you have someone coming to power promising exactly that.

It rang true for me, history is full of people close by kinship and friendship betraying each other in kingdoms based on ideology.

I just wish they did a better job expanding on that so that it hit better. The fact that so many people are confused by his motivations is proof enough they didn't do enough of that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

BrianWilly posted:

He could've mentioned it when Killmonger had his big reveal in the throne room, but I'm not too pressed that he didn't. Winning W'Kabi back was probably the last thing on T'Challa's mind at the moment.

And honestly, Killmonger probably would've busted out some 12th dimensional "I was just working with him...until I could betray him and bring you your justice!" rationale which is...technically?...true.

T'challa never actually finds out that Killmonger was working with Klaue. Killmonger wasn't present at the South Korea fight -- he was, in fact, conspicuously absent -- and T'challa never views the footage from the museum heist, which would have been wiped remotely in any case, and all the other scenes with Killmonger and Klaue occur in privacy. He sees Killmonger break Klaue out of CIA custody, at which point he presumes they are working together, and then the next thing he sees is Killmonger presenting a dead Klaue. Killmonger could reasonably claim that he was only breaking Klaue out of CIA custody in order to bring him to Wakanda for justice. As far as can be proved, that was their only interaction.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hopefully, unlike Star Wars, they don't proceed to explain literally everything in Wakanda. It's better as a magical mystery.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Vibranium is actually hardened midiclorians

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Vibranium is actually hardened midiclorians

:getout:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have the comics actually gone into where Vibranium comes from? Is it Kree or Celestial? It's always one or the other.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Aphrodite posted:

Have the comics actually gone into where Vibranium comes from? Is it Kree or Celestial? It's always one or the other.

The version that happens in the movie is basically the one in the comics; vibranium comes from space and the largest amount is from a meteorite in Wakanda, and that's about it. There is also some in Antarctica, in the Savage Land, which has slightly different properties: instead of being impervious to all damage, it can cut any other metal, including adamantium. It's usually called Anti-metal to distinguish it from Wakandan vibranium.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 22, 2018

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/BenStarred/status/966238506644205569

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

In normal 616, it's essentially just what it was in the movie: a meteorite from space. Earth-X made it a Celestial egg implanted into the earth.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

In normal 616, it's essentially just what it was in the movie: a meteorite from space. Earth-X made it a Celestial egg implanted into the earth.

Yeah, but I mean they've never said where it comes from? Usually Marvel explains the mystery out of everything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/BrichibiTweets/status/966435958483836928

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This would have only improved an already perfect movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I assume that should read "You know what? I'm Saiyan!"

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Jagermonster posted:

All this debate over Killmonger really demonstrates what a great villain he was. Imagine people arguing like this about Steppenwolf.

I saw it last night in Brooklyn with a predominantly black audience and you better believe there was applause when Killmonger said the bury me at sea line.

I just wanted to add as awesome as that line was, it also emphasized what the rest of the movie established that Killmonger really was driven by an imperialist mindset. He doesn't consider himself Wakandan (they are implicitly not "his people"), has no regard for their culture (see burning the heart herb) and only went there to exploit its natural resources (vibranium) for his own personal goals. So it works on several levels

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Having just seen Black Panther a second time, a few observations:

-Killmonger's characterization worked better for me the second time, though I'm still sympathetic to leftist criticisms of his role and the film's politics more generally (but also loath to weigh in too much here)
-god the supporting characters are way better than in pretty much any other MCU solo film, aren't they?
-there's still some distractingly bad CG (Panther and Killmonger's fall into the vibranium mines in the climax) and greenscreen (both ritual combat scenes, T'Challa's second trip to the ancestral plane) work
-as far as the female supporting cast goes, Nakia is really overshadowed by Shuri and Okoye; I like her character and Nyong'o as an actress, but unlike the other two, I have a hard time recalling a single particularly memorable moment she has in the film, and she just doesn't *feel* as essential to T'Challa's character arc as I think the script intends her to be
-with only two large-scale setpieces, this might have the least superhero action per se of any of the MCU films. Not a complaint, just an observation

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
About the Heart Shaped Herb I'm sure that the garden wasn't the only place. It probably still grows in the jungle or the priests have some hidden away for exactly this instance. I mean they're going to need it when T'challa fucks up real bad in the 3rd one and Shuri has to become The Black Panther

BTW, I do hope that Marvel is planning on introducing X-men to the MCU so we can have Storm and T'challa getting married.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

BTW, I do hope that Marvel is planning on introducing X-men to the MCU so we can have Storm and T'challa getting married.
Why would you want that? It was terrible in the comics and it would be terrible in movies for the exact same reason of grafting a backstory in that doesn't make any sense.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, Storm and T'challa is dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean they did basically set T'Challa up with a love interest in BP and even if Nakia couldn't help getting overshadowed by Shuri, like everyone else in the film, I'd rather they work on fleshing her out in further movies than dropping her for some hypothetical X-Men crossover.

• Locked thread