Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

dokmo posted:

Any team win% when a player has a triple double: .773

Big deal.

.773 is a real good winning percentage tho, so it would seem that having a player that can get alot of triple doubles for you would be "a big deal" and real valuable. Maybe even MOST valuable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Cavs are using their final roster spot

Welcome to the playoffs, Dahnty Jones

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

leftist heap posted:

Also ET has opinions on mayo:

ET has a crippling fear of accidentally eating cum.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Speaking of Mayo and diverting the conversation away from eating semen, is O.J. Mayo ever coming back to the NBA or is he permanently banned?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Libertine posted:

Speaking of Mayo and diverting the conversation away from eating semen, is O.J. Mayo ever coming back to the NBA or is he permanently banned?

Two year ban, so is he still gone next season.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I think he's permanently bad which is the same thing

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Russell Westbrook just locked up the MVP

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RW has achieved immortality. The first PG in NBA history to reach 1,100+ missed field goals in a single-season. :eyepop:

Also, 42 TDs but you already knew that.

Spacebump posted:

edit:
I thought they didn't have the NBAPA awards last season because the first year was a huge disaster. Players not showing up, not giving out all the listed awards, etc. I looked it up and they did in fact give out awards, no idea if it was broadcast though. Anybody know?

They did but I don't think there was a big ceremony in 2016. In 2015 it was on BET but a lot of popular players didn't show up.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zogo posted:

RW has achieved immortality. The first PG in NBA history to reach 1,100+ missed field goals in a single-season. :eyepop:

Kobe has a challenger for most missed FGs of all time.

Can Romo be on the Mavs roster without signing a 10 day?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Westbrook has the MVP on lock down . Narrative wave to close the year

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

boxcarhobo posted:

narratives rule and make it more fun for me, the fan

Agreed

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I still think its going to Harden or Kawhi. The local guys are the wins guys, and we only hear the national guys narrative?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why'd Russ have to do the Nugs dirty like that? I was so close to being one of two goons who accurately predicted them going to the playoffs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Another 50+ point triple double:

code:
Player			Date	PTS/REB/AST
Elgin Baylor 	    12/13/61	52/25/10
Richie Guerin 	     2/25/62 	50/11/13
Elgin Baylor        12/15/62 	50/15/11
Wilt Chamberlain     2/13/63 	51/29/11
Wilt Chamberlain     3/18/68 	53/32/14
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar  1/19/75 	50/15/11
Russell Westbrook   10/28/16 	51/13/10
James Harden  	    12/31/16	53/16/17
James Harden  	     1/27/17	51/13/13
Russell Westbrook    3/29/17 	57/13/11
Russell Westbrook     4/9/17 	50/16/10
Six in NBA history prior to this year. Now five this season alone.

Spacebump posted:

He's still not even halfway to Kobe's mark. I don't know if he's built up enough chucking goodwill and karma to pull off 15,000 career FGX at this point.

Right now this season he's sitting on 1,109 FGX. He trails only ABA PG Louie Dampier who had 1,121 FGX in 1970. Needs 13 more FGX.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 10, 2017

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Woooooooooo!!!! Blazerrrrsssss!!!!! Thank you Russ, take all the MVPs

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Zogo posted:

He's still not even halfway to Kobe's mark. I don't know if he's built up enough chucking goodwill and karma to pull off 15,000 career FGX at this point.

Unless the Thunder's situation significantly changes he should be able to make much better progress from here on out than he did with Durant/Harden on the team

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why'd Russ have to do the Nugs dirty like that? I was so close to being one of two goons who accurately predicted them going to the playoffs.

Don't care, blazers in the playoffs after looking absolutely terrible for the first 2/3 of the season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

Can Romo be on the Mavs roster without signing a 10 day?

I know such a thing as one day contracts exist but I don't know what situations trigger them being legal.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It usually involves a kid with cancer I think.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

e: eh maybe not

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
If you missed Russell dropping 50 / 16 / 10 tonight, the game is up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQtEcQMfVTA

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Jack's Flow posted:

If you missed Russell dropping 50 / 16 / 10 tonight, the game is up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQtEcQMfVTA

god drat

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Pistons have decided to start winning again at the worst possible time, instead of 10th or 11th they're going to end up with the 13th pick.Although that makes them more likely to take a toolsy upside guy than a white american big, which is fine with me

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

attackmole posted:

It usually involves a kid with cancer I think.

So Tony Romo?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That Westbrook shot is disgusting

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

amount of thunder fans there is amazing

e: or amount of easily confused, stoned nuggets fans

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

chunkles posted:

amount of thunder fans there is amazing

Naw, but the NBA is a personality driven sport and Russ is a wronged man out for revenge, and doing amazing dunks and things along the way.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Pistons have decided to start winning again at the worst possible time, instead of 10th or 11th they're going to end up with the 13th pick.Although that makes them more likely to take a toolsy upside guy than a white american big, which is fine with me

As a Michigan resident for two decades of my life I haven't really felt like the Pistons have been worthy of even casual fandom in like ten years. It's really sad how badly they have managed their team since the Billups/Hamilton/Wallaces era.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tony Romo is the first player to sign with only HS experience since who?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Amir Johnson was the last draft pick straight from high school

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

jeremy tyler maybe?

e: oops i guess he had pro experience after a fashion

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
That Thunder game was hilarious because it was going absolutely miserable while Russ was obviously chasing the triple double and forcing the ball to awful garbage men like Kyle Singler, then when he finally got the TD they played way better.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JustinLag11/status/851090120283496448

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I'll take that any day if I get to choose which vintage of each player I get

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Brolander posted:

I'll take that any day if I get to choose which vintage of each player I get

All those guys in their prime would be a fun team. I can't read the name Gerald Wallace without thinking about how he was the only player that ever wanted to play his whole career/retire as a Bobcat and was traded away.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Spacebump posted:

All those guys in their prime would be a fun team. I can't read the name Gerald Wallace without thinking about how he was the only player that ever wanted to play his whole career/retire as a Bobcat and was traded away.

right? the two top 5 picks give me pause, but still

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

euphronius posted:

Westbrook has the MVP on lock down . Narrative wave to close the year

Yeah it was a fun discussion but it's hard to see how they pick anyone else. I think he'd be the lowest seeded MVP in history (Moses won it with the 5th seed Rockets iirc)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/Chris_Reichert/status/851194836308774912
Just LOL after Frye and RJ said they hated him

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Wait how did the Cavs lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
My gut instinct is that Russ is going to end up losing based on downballot positioning. I think most people who vote for Westbrook are going to give a second place vote to Harden, and I think you're going to see a decent segment of voters that have Harden/Kawhi in the top two slots (and maybe even Lebron third)

It looks like the last time the MVP didn't go to the person with the most first-place votes was 1990, though, so maybe the formula makes it hard for that outcome to actually happen

• Locked thread