Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't know how it compared to Metal Gear Rising which was their previous biggest hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love Bayonetta! (And I actually really enjoyed Legend of Korra, but I am a huge fan of Avatar anyway :D)

I haven't played MGR though, but I also haven't played any of the metal gear solids past 1. I did get the MGS5 defintive edition as a pack in with my slim though and I am meaning to give it a whirl at some point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I love Bayonetta! (And I actually really enjoyed Legend of Korra, but I am a huge fan of Avatar anyway :D)

I haven't played MGR though, but I also haven't played any of the metal gear solids past 1. I did get the MGS5 defintive edition as a pack in with my slim though and I am meaning to give it a whirl at some point.
MGR is great but it still doesn't feel like a finished game to me, same as MGS5.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't know how it compared to Metal Gear Rising which was their previous biggest hit.

As I recall it sold ~2mil worldwide.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

honestly you might end up liking mgs5 more if you aren't already invested in the story. it's barely there and very obviously unfinished, but the gameplay is incredible

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Platinum games are cherished by a specific niche but few of even their most popular releases have ever sold well. I think Nier:A was their biggest hit by a very wide margin.

It's a great game. I do hope that they continue to refine their ARPG abilities, I think the studio could really make a name for itself in that genre if they continue collaborating with SE.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
is the dragons dogma rerelease going to have a physical release?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm excited for the Granblue game. I'm glad one of the first characters they showed was Charlotta, because tiny soapbox knight owns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

PlatinumGames is like Blanche DuBois, the kindness of Nintendo and Yoko Taro saved them from the oafish brutality of Microsoft

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's a great game. I do hope that they continue to refine their ARPG abilities, I think the studio could really make a name for itself in that genre if they continue collaborating with SE.

I just want an Infinite Space sequel :sigh:.

If anything it looks like their next round of releases are probably going to be porting their WiiU titles to the Switch, judging by their twitter feed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Coming 2030, Kingdom Hearts 4 by Platinum Games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If anything it looks like their next round of releases are probably going to be porting their WiiU titles to the Switch, judging by their twitter feed.

Good. I want to buy Bayonetta 2 again.

Veib posted:

The first good Kindgom Hearts game

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Holy crap I'm not the only person that remembers that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Veib posted:

As long as it's before I die.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

exquisite tea posted:

I would say "just get it on PC" since that's where 7 million people play the game already, but despite looking like it's straight out of 2010 PUBG is apparently more demanding than you'd expect.

Playerunknowns Battlegrounds is demanding for two reasons:

1. Massive world with up to 100 simultaneous players. Takes lots of processing to populate and maintain this.

2. It's still not officially launched. They're working through the PC bugs and optimizations, consoles would be far behind.

But I know the console execs and everyone else can smell the money and that's all that matters in the end. Bringing this to a console as an exclusive will make this game super popular and make hundreds of millions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I tried Dragons Dogma Online season 3 the other day to see if it still sucked. Yeah, still just feels all kinds of wrong and dumb compared to the real deal. Gonna pay the poo poo out of DDDA all over again on the PS4.

Edit: both in its basic mechanics and being weighed down with f2p bullshit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

fridge corn posted:

is the dragons dogma rerelease going to have a physical release?

Yeah, I pre-ordered it a little while back.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

honestly you might end up liking mgs5 more if you aren't already invested in the story. it's barely there and very obviously unfinished, but the gameplay is incredible

Next week I finally have some time off work, so I think based on this I might finally hang up my Diablo3 save for a bit and try to play another MGS!

(I was not having much luck in 1. I found my skills at being able to play it very lacking and couldn't get past the tank bit).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I still don't understand the thought process behind making a dragon's dogma mmo

who wanted that

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

who wanted that

A lot of people wanted multiplayer DD, actually. Just uh..better.

At least Alchemist is a sweet looking class.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

who wanted that
Same idiot hell fuckers who thought Elder Scrolls would work as an MMO I guess.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

A lot of people wanted multiplayer DD, actually. Just uh..better.

At least Alchemist is a sweet looking class.

multiplayer isn't the exclusive right of mmos

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Is DDO at least like TESO where now you can just kind of squint and pretend its a single player TES and maybe you can do group content if you want I guess or is there a heavy co-op angle?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

Next week I finally have some time off work, so I think based on this I might finally hang up my Diablo3 save for a bit and try to play another MGS!

(I was not having much luck in 1. I found my skills at being able to play it very lacking and couldn't get past the tank bit).

Honestly MGS 1&2 and maaaybe 3 haven't aged that well, or at least the control scheme hasn't, which feels very unintuitive if you haven't been playing them since 1998

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I pre-ordered it a little while back.

it's not on amazon here in the uk 😕

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Howard Phillips posted:

Playerunknowns Battlegrounds is demanding for two reasons:

1. Massive world with up to 100 simultaneous players. Takes lots of processing to populate and maintain this.

2. It's still not officially launched. They're working through the PC bugs and optimizations, consoles would be far behind.

But I know the console execs and everyone else can smell the money and that's all that matters in the end. Bringing this to a console as an exclusive will make this game super popular and make hundreds of millions.

The problem is it's not an exclusive, it's a launch exclusive, which no-one is buying into for a second. The odds are not in favour for it on XBone, because it requires owning or buying an XBone. Nevermind one that's much more expensive than the standard model. It's going up against a customer base that almost certainly has a gaming PC that'll run it, or at least a PS4. They either get it on Steam, or just wait out the exclusivity window.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For a decade execs were looking at WoW money and trying to convert every fantasy IP into an MMO, not really understanding why WoW was so successful.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

For a decade execs were looking at WoW money and trying to convert every fantasy IP into an MMO, not really understanding why WoW was so successful.

this is true but dark arisen was out by the time mmos basically stopped working as a business model for new games. it's just a weird decision

why not just make a sequel with real coop?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly MGS 1&2 and maaaybe 3 haven't aged that well, or at least the control scheme hasn't, which feels very unintuitive if you haven't been playing them since 1998

I tried playing 1 for the first time last december. I think I may have missed the boat on it and should probably enjoy a Let's Play or something similar.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

fridge corn posted:

it's not on amazon here in the uk 😕

Huh, I took a quick look around some UK game sites and I guess Dark Arisen isn't getting a physical release in Europe? Well you could always import the US one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Is DDO at least like TESO where now you can just kind of squint and pretend its a single player TES and maybe you can do group content if you want I guess or is there a heavy co-op angle?
It's a dps/tank/healer type game and in my experience pawns don't really do a good job in the other roles. But also its grinding requirements were like nothing I had ever seen, given that the closet thing to an MMO I have played otherwise is Phantasy Star Online 2. Every group I joined was doing the same high return quests over and over again as fast as they could.

edit: the first group I joined was like "no fun allowed only grinding" which I took as fairly representative of the game overall.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 22, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Capcom has been good at loving up every sort of gaming industry 'me too' for a while now, I'm sure they'll announce an awful DOTA or Overwatch clone soon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I tried playing 1 for the first time last december. I think I may have missed the boat on it and should probably enjoy a Let's Play or something similar.

it is hard to go back to most ps1 games if you haven't played them before, yea. watching the chip cheezum lp's is probably the best way to experience the older games at this point

mgs5 still has maybe the best controls of any game I've ever played by comparison. it's very satisfying to play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Capcom has been good at loving up every sort of gaming industry 'me too' for a while now, I'm sure they'll announce an awful DOTA or Overwatch clone soon

That moment when you realize "Overwatch, but with Resident Evil characters" is totally something Capcom would do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

That tends to happen when you've driven out all your creative talent. Don't forget that they went with releasing the Dragon Dogma MMO exclusively in Japan, where the game sold the worst.

exquisite tea posted:

That moment when you realize "Overwatch, but with Resident Evil characters" is totally something Capcom would do.

Oh sweet, a Cannon Spike sequel? :swoon:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

A F2P Overwatch-inspired Resident Evil game where everyone's a HUNK ripoff. Log in today to get your free loot box and see if you unlock Chris Redfield (RE7)!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that they went with releasing the Dragon Dogma MMO exclusively in Japan, where the game sold the worst.

That is amazing.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How is the Gran Turismo ps4 not a pro, isn't it like super optimized for pro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The Slim is more aerodynamic