Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Most .scr files are PE32 binary images, so once 32bit support gets completely stripped from Windows, an absolute shitload of screensavers will stop working as even ones made today aren't PE32+ binary images.

drat that's gonna suck for my grandsons grandsons grandson when microsoft drops 32bit support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

repiv posted:

drat that's gonna suck for my grandsons grandsons grandson when microsoft drops 32bit support
32bit platforms are gonna be completely irrelevant by no later than 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038.
Even if you start planning for making time_t 64bit now, you'll still have time to move to a fully 64bit architecture.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 31, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, but 64-bit is no solution, just kicks the can down the road for 292 billion years or so.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It’s a good thing that Win32 uses 100-nanosecond intervals since January 1, 1601 and thus the only people who are going to be affected by 32-bit time_t in this particular conversation are the two people who ported 32-bit unix screensavers manually to Windows for some godforsaken reason and are too lazy to recompile with 64-bit time_t.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

By the time that happens someone will have encapsulated Wine in such a way to use it to run Win32 apps on 64 bit Windows, or something like that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My kids will never know the joy of staring at the Mystify screensaver

Or playing Hover

Or know what the word multimedia means

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

By the time that happens someone will have encapsulated Wine in such a way to use it to run Win32 apps on 64 bit Windows, or something like that.

Just use wsl!

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

WhyteRyce posted:

My kids will never know the joy of staring at the Mystify screensaver

Or playing Hover

Or know what the word multimedia means

Did it ever mean much tho, was mostly used as a trendy marketing buzzword

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BobHoward posted:

it did denote a certain set of capabilities for a pc, generally a CD-ROM drive and vector processing (3dNow!/MMX). I think there is even an official “MS Multimedia PC” spec, probably discussed in some LGR somewhere.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This is my VOGONS thread about the Groove Machine. Lots of thread appropriate discussion of CPU features in there. Particularly CPUID Strings and SSE towards the end of the thread.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=1075537

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1531684569434439682

The package wings are… interesting.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BobHoward posted:

look at this noob that never played Rebel Moon Rising at launch

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Is that for additional high speed interfaces from FPGA logic or something like that? The dots on the pcb look like they could be some kind of low profile board to board connectors.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Is that for additional high speed interfaces from FPGA logic or something like that? The dots on the pcb look like they could be some kind of low profile board to board connectors.

Intel's done something like that before, but the connector looked pretty different

The pins on Sapphire Rapids look more like pogo pin pads for testing, rather than something that goes into a connector

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

Intel's done something like that before, but the connector looked pretty different

The pins on Sapphire Rapids look more like pogo pin pads for testing, rather than something that goes into a connector

Yeah I think you're right, some kind of clip on pogo pins. I've seen them have that with their NVME drives, kind of a neat way to get a debug interface without using up much board real estate and not requiring any additional parts on the board.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Per the tweet the wings are only on the SKU with extra HBM2E, so did they just run out of space under the heatspreader and have to bodge the extra memory on outside it? :v:

how is cooling that going to work

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

Per the tweet the wings are only on the SKU with extra HBM2E, so did they just run out of space under the heatspreader and have to bodge the extra memory on outside it? :v:

Probably a big overhanging heatsink with thermal pads over the hbm dies?

But then how to get at those debug pads..

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

The hbm is under the heatspreader I think:

I saw some speculation that the pads are for extra I/O connections, but then that makes me wonder why it’s specific to only the HBM versions? Maybe the traces are blocked or something?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe it is I/O then, and that little die on the wing is an controller for the I/O (i assumed it was the extra HBM but in that photo the HBM is clearly bigger)

it's a strange form factor for I/O though, aren't dense pogo-pin jigs like that really expensive/finnicky/fragile? and there's no notches for the jig to latch onto or align against

there's nothing on the underside of the chip that would be easier to interface with

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 31, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh, if you CSI enhance the photo the little wing die appears to be marked ALTERA

you get a little bonus FPGA with your extra HBM then?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
My assumption would be that the HBM taking up space under the heatspreader necessitates pushing some power control and other ancillary bits outside the package due to lack of space. You wouldn't move the core components, you'd move support stuff.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The early non-HBM Sapphire Rapids ES had an FPGA on package too (dunno if it’s still there in production silicon). I believe someone here smarter than me said they were using it for various boot logic and such?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

it did denote a certain set of capabilities for a pc, generally a CD-ROM drive and vector processing (3dNow!/MMX). I think there is even an official “MS Multimedia PC” spec, probably discussed in some LGR somewhere.

Lol the Multimedia PC thing started around 1993-1995 well before 3D accelerators were something that existed outside flight simulators (the physically large ones). You had, of course with this being Microsoft (mostly), MPC-1 and MPC-2.

I think the difference was that MPC-2 required a CD-ROM since you could technically have a multimedia-capable PC without it (having sound and minimum some display resolution at 256 colors) but I don’t remember the specs exactly and I’m not wiki’ing this as I post

Also, seem to remember that the Color coded audio jack and cables (green=main out, red=mic in etc) came about from this?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

F4rt5 posted:

Lol the Multimedia PC thing started around 1993-1995 well before 3D accelerators were something that existed outside flight simulators (the physically large ones). You had, of course with this being Microsoft (mostly), MPC-1 and MPC-2.

I think the difference was that MPC-2 required a CD-ROM since you could technically have a multimedia-capable PC without it (having sound and minimum some display resolution at 256 colors) but I don’t remember the specs exactly and I’m not wiki’ing this as I post

Also, seem to remember that the Color coded audio jack and cables (green=main out, red=mic in etc) came about from this?

The colour coded jacks, isn't that part of AC '97? Could be misremembering it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

F4rt5 posted:

I didn’t say 3D video cards, I said MMX/3DNow! support, which was the driver behind the pentium requirement in MPC-3.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_PC

(3Dnow! was AMD’s equivalent to the MMX simd instruction set.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 8, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
God drat Paul, you are batting uncharacteristically poorly here. MMX wasn't introduced until the Pentium MMX, which came at 133mhz in its slowest version. The MPC-3 spec just required a 75mhz original pentium and did not have anything to do with MMX. To my knowledge no one really gave a drat about the MPC-3 spec anyway because Windows 95 kinda heralded the era of standardization on multimedia capability. MPC-1 and -2 were the ones anyone actually cared about, the ones you needed to run various software that played video off CDs. What "multimedia capable" meant in general was having a fast enough CD and a powerful enough CPU to decode some specific really crappy video in real time.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cinemania and Encarta videos were pretty sweet though.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Reminds me of my 1995 Pentium 60Hz PC that killed itself running Red Alert 1

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Palladium posted:

Reminds me of my 1995 Pentium 60Hz PC that killed itself running Red Alert 1

I had one of those too. They needed loud fans and couldn't do math no good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Inept posted:

Cinemania and Encarta videos were pretty sweet though.

I remember the days when Encarta was THE poo poo to get

You could tour the outside of the pyramids!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

My fave PC from that era was an Intergraph TD4 that I picked up used on Ebay. Dual PPros running at 90MHz.

It was a great coding station because playing my poo poo-quality, stolen anime MP3s would eat 70% of one CPU, leaving the other one free to run Emacs and render websites in Netscape (which, back then, were all sets of giant tables with the default bevelled cell borders turned off, because DIV hadn't been invented yet).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

God drat Paul, you are batting uncharacteristically poorly here. MMX wasn't introduced until the Pentium MMX, which came at 133mhz in its slowest version. The MPC-3 spec just required a 75mhz original pentium and did not have anything to do with MMX. To my knowledge no one really gave a drat about the MPC-3 spec anyway because Windows 95 kinda heralded the era of standardization on multimedia capability. MPC-1 and -2 were the ones anyone actually cared about, the ones you needed to run various software that played video off CDs. What "multimedia capable" meant in general was having a fast enough CD and a powerful enough CPU to decode some specific really crappy video in real time.

In my defense, I was in preschool when pentium came out :v:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think people who didn't live through that era have a different picture in their mind of what the "multimedia era" actually entailed.

If you go back and look at stuff like Myst or the 7th Guest or the Journeyman Project series, there's a lot of relatively impressive stuff going on there. However, there were like maybe a few dozen titles worth any sort of drat at all, most of them had system requirements well beyond any of the usual "spec standards" and the vast vast vast majority was dogshit shovelware.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

And you needed a SCSI card to burn CDs without it killing the cpu to the point of causing write failures, thems were the days. I beta tested that Audiograbber, RIP Jackie

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let me hook up my portable parallel port Zip drive and copy some awesome warez to your computer which will take an hour

I had a 4x burner that would do 80min CDs and that poo poo gave me a huge leg up over the 2 other people at my school that could burn discs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
caddies were awesome :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slot loading drives were the shiiiiiit

IT'S JUST LIKE MY CAR STEREO

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

priznat posted:

Slot loading drives were the shiiiiiit

IT'S JUST LIKE MY CAR STEREO

I'd still like to get a slot-loading BDRW for my HTPC one of these days, but they're expensive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhyteRyce posted:

Let me hook up my portable parallel port Zip drive and copy some awesome warez to your computer which will take an hour

I had a 4x burner that would do 80min CDs and that poo poo gave me a huge leg up over the 2 other people at my school that could burn discs

I made so much money in college pirating episodes of Smallville and One Tree Hill and burning it onto CDs to sell to folks who couldn't do it themselves

Of course you had to watch through the thing to make sure the download was correct and good so I ended up watching through the series indirectly anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Softmodding xboxes was very lucrative in the dorm room halo days