Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

I haven't heard anything about it since it was announced and it seemed really cool? What's happened since then?

Apparently not much in the way of creating a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Farecoal posted:

I haven't heard anything about it since it was announced and it seemed really cool? What's happened since then?

They fired the leads last August, then pulled the game from the developers earlier this year. It's indefinitely delayed with unspecified developers, which means it's not happening any time soon or probably ever.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

extremely dystopian that actions in a game might cost a different set of points than money, which totally isn't also an arbitrary point accumulation system in most strategy games.

At the extreme every grand strategy game is just juggling resources appropriately, but without going that far it seems reasonable to say that currencies such as monarch points or Imperator's political influence can feel a little generic.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Get ready for Victoria: Remastered outsourced to a mobile game development company.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A gacha game where all the characters are influential 19th century people

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Magic: The Gathering GSG

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I tap my factory to activate adam smith the enchanter, doing 1 point of damage

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i somersault my cheese factory

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

I know this post isn't meant to be taken entirely seriously, but I'd like to point out that EU3 and Victoria 2 were both released prior to the Steam-required days, back when a very significant percentage of the people playing their games bought them outside of Steam. That will skew the numbers and make them out to be smaller than they truly were. (though obviously Paradox's games are more popular than ever currently)

edit: hell, eu3 wasn't on steam at all for its first two years.
Yeah, both games are from the "No, I don't want to install the tyrannical spyware that is Steam unto my UNIVAC!" period. It's pretty obvious from the EU3 to EU4 numbers that you can't really compare the two.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I bought Victoria II on Impulse back in the day precisely because it didn't need to be running like Steam does. Then Impulse got sold to Gamestop who later just shut the whole thing down. Good thing I was already used to Steam at that point or it would've proven the misgivings I had about buying games digitally back then :v:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 1, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

oscarthewilde posted:

As much as I’d like to play an actually playable Vicky, I don’t think PDS in 2021 are the right people to do it. Pretty much everything that made Vicky 2 interesting - the pop system and the economy, the feeling of being part of a larger whole instead of an abstracted agent among other abstracted agents that play by the exact same rules- is diametrically opposed to modern Paradox design. If they are actually making Vicky 3, which I highly doubt, it might be a good game but it won’t be Vicky

Yeah, that's what I am saying. Do people want a remake with QoL features? Maybe, but those systems would probably expose weakness of systems that are a black box now. Do people want a modern Paradox game that still has Victoria 2 coolness in it? I'm not sure it's possible. The complexity of Vicky2 devolves to rather simple optimal play. I don't beleive it's feasible to try to even approach the same level of similation while allowing for a variety of playstyles instead of making everyone start by boosting clergy, researching same techs and attacking African defenseless gold mines.

And just to clarify, I like EU4 or Imperator Rome approach. I'd be very happy if PDX would make a Victorian era GSG. It's just Victoria has a grand legacy of juvenile ambitions. You play Victoria 2 and you see how cool it all might be, you forgive a lot and fantacize about how great would it be to play a game like this but good. Hence a lot of mods trying to hide inherent problems of the game beyond additional layers of abstraction.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 1, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

extremely dystopian that actions in a game might cost a different set of points than money, which totally isn't also an arbitrary point accumulation system in most strategy games.

The problem with mana isn't that it exists, it's that it's used for wildly different actions to create some artificial "oh you must choose between these, it's fun gameplay I swear" options.
I will die on the hill of tech research based on your nation size and income being a great system.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 1, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

But it is a fun gameplay.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

really i'd take a steam achievement compatible re-release of vicky2 and a manual that has all the shortcut keys laid out

don't forget stable multiplayer, for me and the other 10 sickos that regularly play it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ilitarist posted:

I didn't even like it in EU3 when I had to wait for my diplomats to respawn so I could create a new general.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ilitarist posted:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, that's what I am saying. Do people want a remake with QoL features? Maybe, but those systems would probably expose weakness of systems that are a black box now. Do people want a modern Paradox game that still has Victoria 2 coolness in it? I'm not sure it's possible. The complexity of Vicky2 devolves to rather simple optimal play. I don't beleive it's feasible to try to even approach the same level of similation while allowing for a variety of playstyles instead of making everyone start by boosting clergy, researching same techs and attacking African defenseless gold mines.

And just to clarify, I like EU4 or Imperator Rome approach. I'd be very happy if PDX would make a Victorian era GSG. It's just Victoria has a grand legacy of juvenile ambitions. You play Victoria 2 and you see how cool it all might be, you forgive a lot and fantacize about how great would it be to play a game like this but good. Hence a lot of mods trying to hide inherent problems of the game beyond additional layers of abstraction.
Victoria is a game like itself but good. I do get what you're saying though, that "Victoria II + QoL features" is not a straight upgrade because it'd partially undermine the way the game creates narratives that make you forget little annoyances, or make you behave irrationally.

That said, I don't see why the gameplay couldn't be reimagined in a way that maintains the core hook of the game, that being the tensions between state, people, capital, as well as various ancient institutions, while also being much better about QoL features. The main trick would be to define where the player should have a lot of control, and where the game is supposed to be more simulation based on everything happening in the world - creating a dynamic landscape the player has to use their vastly improved QoL features to navigate.

Like, what are the core features of a state, especially as relevant to the focus of the game?:

- Making armies
- Making war
- Subjugating people
- Doing diplomacy
- Economic policy

QoL features should be prioritized for that poo poo, giving the player as much power to do what they want as is appropriate for the state they control. Maybe cut down on explicit "Can't do that" features and instead make it more about having to pay the consequences for using features that a certain party/faction doesn't like. So like, if you have a Laissez-faire party in power you could piss them off a little bit with subsidies for your factories producing military goods, but they'd be far more pissed-off about doing it for other types of goods, rather than subsidies just being off the table entirely. A Laissez-faire pacifist party would of course be pissed off regardless.

I think the above, where things are less binary, would make the underlying simulation not being as easy to interact with less of an issue. It sucks rear end if a minor victory for an LF party completely changes your industrial policy over night, but if the degree of their dominance in parliament is limited and you can delay the worst parts of their ideology from coming into effect through smart play then you don't care as much that you don't have as much power to shift the opinions of voters. Basically, Vicky 2 makes voting the most important battleground, and thus the player desires more control over voter ideology - far beyond what a simulationist would ever feel appropriate. If the battleground shifts into the halls of power, after the election, then the tension between gameplay and simulation dissipates - in fact, the disconnect between how you deal with gameplay vs. the apparent desires of your people just strengthens the narrative of your campaign.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Imperator's political influence can feel a little generic.

I think political influence in Imperator is pretty clever. The way it's generated by the loyalty of your office holders and not their competence. So you are constantly trading off having loyal lackeys vs people who are actually good at the job.

Just one of the cool trade offs that makes Imperator a pretty interesting game. I'm honestly bummed that they're giving up on it. I think I already said this but I don't think I can go back to EU or CK after experiencing the pop system of Imperator. They would just feel so empty.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Victoria is a game like itself but good. I do get what you're saying though, that "Victoria II + QoL features" is not a straight upgrade because it'd partially undermine the way the game creates narratives that make you forget little annoyances, or make you behave irrationally.

That said, I don't see why the gameplay couldn't be reimagined in a way that maintains the core hook of the game, that being the tensions between state, people, capital, as well as various ancient institutions, while also being much better about QoL features.

Well, maybe it is possible. But it's very hard to imagine. Victoria 2 but comprehensible sounds to me like a classic trap of killing the point of the product by giving people what they want. It's like X-Files but they finally get together. I'd like to be proven wrong but I understand why devs wiuld be hesitant to try to do Vic3.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure EU3 to EU4 was the same kind of thought process though.

Off the top of my head there were things like:

No Centres of Trade you could build? How does fixed point trade EVEN WORK PARADOX!?

No Sliders? No buy.

EU3 even had a province population system that affected / was affected by manpower and that went out of the window too. The manpower system was also bizzare in that provincial sense, It also affected how *quickly* you built troops.. and ships. Like what?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

EU3 had simulation elements but those were light. Like coring happened inits own in what, 50 years? And you couldn't affect it. Same for culture conversion IIRC. There was a population stat that had some effect but it was an afterthought and every decent provinces maxed out at 999.999 people by the end of the game. Victoria is in another league in terms of simulation VS gameplay abstraction.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

EU3's long and immutable coring time and probabilistic culture conversion system are both better than the impossibly fast systems EU4 has.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cultural conversion in euiv is horrible. You should either have to live with non accepted cultures or slowly convert it over centuries, or expel the old and take a huge hit to dev and let neighboring states eat the extra dev

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

don't forget stable multiplayer, for me and the other 10 sickos that regularly play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXv1Ym9a-w&t=111s

What's unstable about this, Itoh? :v:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

only thing unstable are the sickos playing it imo

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cease to Hope posted:

i feel like anything that encourages people to identify with and grow attached to the factions in tyranny isnt in the spirit of the original

This wouldn't be particularly strange when it comes to paradox GSGs

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Cultural conversion in euiv is horrible. You should either have to live with non accepted cultures or slowly convert it over centuries, or expel the old and take a huge hit to dev and let neighboring states eat the extra dev

im being told its fun to spend 50 mana genociding the irish rather than interacting with any sort of larger system

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Victoria 2 but every single game it reminds me that every single mechanic is simply not that great.

On its own, the mechanics kinda suck:
-what the hell is the influence mini game?
-why are regiments strictly locked to a province?
-why does great Britain have to research dreadnoughts OR better medicine?
-why am I unable to force a government change in a puppet? Why does my czarist Russia rear end has to accept a communist Romania and have no choice in the matter?
-why do I have to manually develop every single thing in a communist government?
-why are tariffs global to all products and resources?

Each mechanic is deeply flawed, but when put together, the game is somehow fascinating.

I guess the broken aspects is what makes the game so intriguing?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Mans posted:

-why are regiments strictly locked to a province?

They are tied to pops (which do reside in a province) so that they can become aligned with a rebel movement and join uprisings and revolutions depending on the pop's militancy etc

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the army being constructed of literally your population of soldiers is a very good mechanic and allows for some of the best interactions with the internal political sphere.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Yeah, the army being constructed of literally your population of soldiers is a very good mechanic and allows for some of the best interactions with the internal political sphere.
Yeah, that’s probably near the top of mechanic interactions in any Paradox games. That said, I feel like you could do it on a state by state basis instead without losing anything - while letting the system work better in lower population regions.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that’s probably near the top of mechanic interactions in any Paradox games. That said, I feel like you could do it on a state by state basis instead without losing anything - while letting the system work better in lower population regions.

Some mods change soldiers to be state instead of province (still tied to pops though) by using the script effect that bureaucrats get, so when a pop promotes to soldier they are moved to the state capital and join the big blob of soldiers there. That helps get rid of tiny useless soldier pops too small to support a regiment

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sure would be a shame if I avoided ever building army units from Dixie pops and the American Civil War turned out to be a wet fart. Besides that, I recall unreliable army units just defect to rebels at random and then instantly lose against your army. Not all that interesting.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Some mods change soldiers to be state instead of province (still tied to pops though) by using the script effect that bureaucrats get, so when a pop promotes to soldier they are moved to the state capital and join the big blob of soldiers there. That helps get rid of tiny useless soldier pops too small to support a regiment

That is an incredibly smart and clever bit of scripting. It also feels right for the way soldiers are modeled in the game that they would be yeeted to the capital of a state in order to work.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

karmicknight posted:

Mobilisation is the cherry on top where you can bulk out your army with non-soldier pops, but if you lose too many of them you can really damage your economy - as well as tanking it in the short term since your working pops aren't working any more

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PittTheElder posted:

EU3's long and immutable coring time and probabilistic culture conversion system are both better than the impossibly fast systems EU4 has.

i dunno about the former but hell yeah to the latter

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean 50 Years Always has its issues, having it take culture and religion into effect is better, but <5 year coring is so silly. Particularly if there wasn't a suitable administrative apparatus that could be hijacked by a conquering state. It took Russia basically a century to really integrate the Volga areas conquered by Ivan the Terrible.

The one thing this whole franchise really needs to figure out is some way to limit you from conquering, not because the rest of the world will gang up on you, but because your state's forces need to be in too many places at once.

And also a way to represent non states, particularly Steppe Hordes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

your state's forces need to be in too many places at once

That's literally mana

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enjoy posted:

They are tied to pops (which do reside in a province) so that they can become aligned with a rebel movement and join uprisings and revolutions depending on the pop's militancy etc

karmicknight posted:

This is a cool concept that ends up in some frustration like, for example, your recruitment being a pain in the rear end playing as Portugal, Spain or the Ottos due to the low population provinces.

Why can't I put some soldiers from Vigo into the regiment from Coruna?

Not the Messiah posted:

Mobilisation is the cherry on top where you can bulk out your army with non-soldier pops, but if you lose too many of them you can really damage your economy - as well as tanking it in the short term since your working pops aren't working any more
Mobilisation is also really funky. You can't pre-desginate areas outside of a vague "come to this province" button which has no regroup limit, nor can you define what comes there, so you get stuff like 100k soldiers starving to death on the moscow rally while the other five rallies next to moscow are empty by comparison.

A centralized army builder would make me so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

That's literally mana

You're not wrong, that's what mana is supposed to be, but there's far too much of it and it works too well.

But I meant that literally, where the armed forces are required to be in too many places at once, forcing other areas to be left thinly guarded. Together with a realistic army movement speeds (much slower, and tied to geography) it could go a long way towards depowering blobs and making non-total wars a thing.