Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Ac6d6HX.mp4

Eye protection is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nocheez posted:

I forget what comedian said it, but basically it goes: have you ever taken a trip on a highway and wondered, why are Christians such terrible drivers?

It's the music they listen to.
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/musicblog/2016/07/21/joy-991-fm-stickers-scourge-of-the-st-louis-roadways

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ac6d6HX.mp4

Eye protection is important.

Russians are always cutting corners where they can.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

shortspecialbus posted:

Hey i've got a new derail for everyone - discuss

https://i.imgur.com/5ZoYZ9H.mp4

This kills the pug.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 15, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Free Cheese posted:

HOLY poo poo disgusting, falling at that angle would spill any food/drinks on board
All service items should be cleaned up and stowed before landing.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

See I don't have any construction experience and sometimes I have to wait for people to point out what's going on in an electric picture or whatever. But sometimes pictures like this happen and you can just trace the lines of force and quietly shake your head.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

:cripes:

Makes me wonder how long it lasted before failing (or getting fixed :v:)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wasn't that one after it got hit by a typhoon or a huge wave or something? I remember seeing it before.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Memento posted:

There's plenty of ladders that have basically zero strength once you start applying loads laterally to them as opposed to parallel or sub-parallel to their length. They have warnings on them that say things like "never use as a platform". I know the load in this one isn't quite perpendicular, but it's getting there.

I've been 225-245lbs my whole life. As high as 275lbs. It's never encumbered me but I always have to think about it. Aluminum ladders suck. Unless you have wood or fiberglass, you're screwed. I've broken more aluminum ladders than I can count. Put a bundle of shingles on your shoulder and head up and they buckle if you so much as wiggle.

We need to bring back wood ladders. I've be at the top of a 40' wood ladder without worrying but if I get over 15' on an aluminum, I start pissing myself. With wood, if you climb on the outside edge of the rungs you're fine. With aluminum, it doesn't matter. They just buckle with no warning. At least wood makes noises to let you know that you're too fat.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

On Cirrus planes and a couple others, but not exactly common.

Discussion of airplane chutes tends to lead to enormous argumentative derails for whatever reason

I'll contribute to this. My uncle recovers small aircraft crashes, for insurance purposes primarily. Usually in the mountains. They normally aren't recoverable enough to rebuild. He told me about a Cirrus crash that he had to recover in the high desert in Wyoming. The guy did everything right. He feathered the prop and popped the chute. My uncle could even could see that the prop marks on the ground were straight. The pilot did his best.

Didn't work. Everyone died. It wasn't the pilots fault. He had a control surface failure of some sort and did his best. If anything, the parachute at least left some pieces for his family to bury. That's not so bad in the long run I guess.

I have no beef with the parachute concept. If, in an area with no open fields, better to drift straight down with a complete engine failure. I suppose.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mostlygray posted:

I've been 225-245lbs my whole life.

Your poor mother! :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do the containers lock to each other top to bottom? I didnt know that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah if you’re ever next to a semi holding one on a trailer you can see the linkage points.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Your poor mother! :ohdear:

18 years of labor. Split her stem to stern. She still hasn't forgiven me.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

mostlygray posted:

I'll contribute to this. My uncle recovers small aircraft crashes, for insurance purposes primarily. Usually in the mountains. They normally aren't recoverable enough to rebuild. He told me about a Cirrus crash that he had to recover in the high desert in Wyoming. The guy did everything right. He feathered the prop and popped the chute. My uncle could even could see that the prop marks on the ground were straight. The pilot did his best.

Didn't work. Everyone died. It wasn't the pilots fault. He had a control surface failure of some sort and did his best. If anything, the parachute at least left some pieces for his family to bury. That's not so bad in the long run I guess.

I have no beef with the parachute concept. If, in an area with no open fields, better to drift straight down with a complete engine failure. I suppose.

Imagine showing off your million-ish dollar toy to your friends only to kill them all in Wyoming, the worst of all possible states. Perhaps the knowledge of the parachute made him skip steps in his pre-flight check due to overconfidence???

Speaking of crazy aviation poo poo, this video on the attempt to build an American supersonic jet liner is something this thread would appreciate: Not only would it create so much friction in flight that it got hot enough to soften anything but titanium, incorporate variable geometry wings, and run on four after-burnered turbojets (making it extremely rear end heavy), it also would have probably deafened thousands each year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Zr480Tn4

Fasdar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 15, 2018

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Fasdar posted:

Imagine showing off your million-ish dollar toy to your friends only to kill them all in Wyoming, the worst of all possible states.

Nah, that's gotta be Ohio. Have you looked at NASA's astronaut roster? Something about that state drives people to straight up leave the planet just to get away from Ohio.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

LifeSunDeath posted:

gently caress speaking of OSHA, this jackass doctor at my hospital rides a segue around with his group of med students, like ON THE UNIT. And not just any segue, it's got no handle bar post, it's like a giant version of a lovely hoverboard. I have no clue why he does this or how he could possibly be allowed to, because it's clearly not an assistive device as it's super unsafe.

It's his delightful quirk, he's going to be the next TV's House.

Also regarding pug murder chat: Are they now going to be required to announce "Please stow your baggage under the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin. If you are seated in an exit row you must only stow it in the overhead bin. Please do not under any circumstances stow an animal in the overhead bin. If you are in an exit row and have an animal in a bag, please contact a flight attendant.

In an emergency, you must put on your own oxygen mask before helping others. Please contact a flight attendant if you need an oxygen mask that fits a snout or beak."?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Buttcoin purse posted:

In an emergency, you must put on your own oxygen mask before helping others. Please contact a flight attendant if you need an oxygen mask that fits a snout or beak."?

Getting an oxygen mask securely onto an emotional support peacock's beak must be super difficult

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fasdar posted:

Imagine showing off your million-ish dollar toy to your friends only to kill them all in Wyoming, the worst of all possible states. Perhaps the knowledge of the parachute made him skip steps in his pre-flight check due to overconfidence???

Speaking of crazy aviation poo poo, this video on the attempt to build an American supersonic jet liner is something this thread would appreciate: Not only would it create so much friction in flight that it got hot enough to soften anything but titanium, incorporate variable geometry wings, and run on four after-burnered turbojets (making it extremely rear end heavy), it also would have probably deafened thousands each year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y91Zr480Tn4

The Concord has to use afterburners too. Super cruise just wasn't possible back then.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are there any current planes larger than fighters that are capable of supercruise?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Synthbuttrange posted:

They're called twist locks and are a brilliant bit of design pretty much no one outside the industry knows about but, without which, the modern world would be an incredibly different place.

EDIT: Found the video the gif came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXnEzXAip4

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Fasdar posted:

Imagine showing off your million-ish dollar toy to your friends only to kill them all in Wyoming, the worst of all possible states.

Most airplanes with an airframe chute are closer to a quarter million dollars, but I suppose that's irrelevant.

What *is* relevant is that Wyoming is nowhere near the worst of all possible states. That has to fall on Nebraska, Ohio, or Indiana (discounting anything south of Indianapolis where it's actually decent.) Wyoming is largely empty and has decent scenery for most of it. The 3 I mentioned are flat, boring, and absolutely nothing worth looking at in the entire state.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

Are there any current planes larger than fighters that are capable of supercruise?

Doesn't seem to be. The B-1R would have been able to, with four F-119 engines.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

oohhboy posted:

The Concord has to use afterburners too. Super cruise just wasn't possible back then.

Only for take-off and transitioning to supersonic.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jim Lovell's proudest achievement was, during the Apollo 13 lunar gravity assist maneuver, being the farthest away from Columbus that any Ohioan has ever been.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

mostlygray posted:

I've been 225-245lbs my whole life. As high as 275lbs. It's never encumbered me but I always have to think about it. Aluminum ladders suck. Unless you have wood or fiberglass, you're screwed. I've broken more aluminum ladders than I can count. Put a bundle of shingles on your shoulder and head up and they buckle if you so much as wiggle.

We need to bring back wood ladders. I've be at the top of a 40' wood ladder without worrying but if I get over 15' on an aluminum, I start pissing myself. With wood, if you climb on the outside edge of the rungs you're fine. With aluminum, it doesn't matter. They just buckle with no warning. At least wood makes noises to let you know that you're too fat.

wood ladders are loving terrible lol

maybe try not using the cheapest piece of poo poo aluminum one you can find

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

shortspecialbus posted:

Most airplanes with an airframe chute are closer to a quarter million dollars, but I suppose that's irrelevant.

What *is* relevant is that Wyoming is nowhere near the worst of all possible states. That has to fall on Nebraska, Ohio, or Indiana (discounting anything south of Indianapolis where it's actually decent.) Wyoming is largely empty and has decent scenery for most of it. The 3 I mentioned are flat, boring, and absolutely nothing worth looking at in the entire state.

Ohio and Indiana suck but there's far worse you probably have never been to. Like lol if you'd rather live in west virginia or oklahoma just lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tsa posted:

Ohio and Indiana suck but there's far worse you probably have never been to. Like lol if you'd rather live in west virginia or oklahoma just lol

West Virginia would be a goddamn amazing place to live if you were already independently wealthy when you moved there.

I dare anyone to accuse OH or OK of the same

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mostlygray posted:

The only fatal Cirrus crash in Wyoming that I can find was in 2008, a midair collision with a Cessna 172. Cirrus still hasn’t had a fatality where the airframe parachute was deployed within its design limits. They’ve even had a few saves where the parachute was deployed OUTSIDE it’s design limits.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

it's basically the same argument you get with seatbelts, motorcycle helmets, anti-lock brakes, or any other safety equipment -- one side says "it's a safety feature, it can only make the activity safer" while the other says "no it encourages unsafe behavior/lack of training/overconfidence in newbies." also the against-side will often bring up some unbelievably implausible failure mode as "evidence" that the safety feature is actually less safe (e.g. seatbelts will cut off your head).

Cirrus is, I believe, the only aircraft manufacturer who puts chutes on their planes. Initially, the safety record of them wasn't good. Deploying the chute probably saves your life, and almost certainly totals the airplane. Even the seats are aluminum honeycombs that collapse on impact. So you did wind up with pilots who tried to land an unrecoverable airplane instead of pulling the chute handle, and died.

Cirrus changed up their training procedures to try to convince pilots that "Look, this thing is a life-saver, the airplane's not worth your life, so if you get in trouble pull the damned handle," and it seems to have worked.

https://airfactsjournal.com/2015/02/fatal-cirrus-crashes-way-thank-parachute/

quote:

In 2014, with just under 6,000 airplanes in the fleet flying an estimated 1,000,000 flight hours, there were only 3 fatal Cirrus accidents. Considering the demanding weather conditions many of these airplanes operate in, that’s an impressively low number. This isn’t a fluke either: the number of fatal Cirrus accidents has dropped from a pretty awful 16 in 2011 to 10 in 2012, then 9 in 2013. The indefatigable Rick Beach at the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association has calculated a fleet fatal accident rate of 0.42 per 100,000 flight hours for the past 12 months, or 0.84 for the past three years. Both of these are down dramatically compared to recent history, and are probably below the rate for general aviation as a whole. Suffice it to say, that has not always been the case.

What’s causing this drop in fatal accidents?

A compelling case can be made that it’s the parachute. While some pilots spent the past few years debating the merits of a whole airplane parachute (“real pilots don’t need one!”), the Cirrus community was busy changing its training philosophy. After too many accidents where the pilot tried to be a hero and deadstick his airplane into an impossible situation, the mantra became “pull early, pull often.” While somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the lesson is serious: CAPS is an essential safety feature of the airplane, not an afterthought. A good pilot will integrate it into his training, his everyday briefings and his emergency planning.

The numbers tell quite a story. While fatal accidents have been dropping, the number of CAPS deployments have been increasing. In fact, 2014 marked the first time the two curves crossed, with more CAPS events (12) than fatal accidents (3). This is significant, because while pulling the red handle may total the airplane, the pilot and passengers will almost always survive if it’s done within the limitations of the system. Out of 51 total CAPS events, there have been 104 survivors and only one fatality.

Certainly, adding a parachute to an airplane is neither cheap nor easy. At roughly 80 lbs. and $25,000, it’s not practical to add one to every airplane. But it deserves more serious consideration than most pilots give it. After all, we pay lots of money for other tools of marginal use. I think parachutes will save more lives over the next 10 years than angle of attack instruments, to take just one popular example.

Adding a parachute also won’t make you a better pilot. The red handle can’t do anything to prevent scud running and it can’t help you fly a better ILS. This raises the one serious question that remains about CAPS, and it has been debated since the first Cirrus was delivered in 1999: does the presence of a “get out of jail free card” encourage pilots take more risks? Psychology suggests that it might, but the statistics above don’t necessarily show that to be true. At a certain level, though, it doesn’t really matter. Pilots with thick wallets and thin logbooks always have and always will wreck airplanes. But if they walk away from it because of the parachute, at least they have the chance to learn from their mistake. Many doctors in V-tail Bonanzas never had that chance.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

tsa posted:

wood ladders are loving terrible lol

maybe try not using the cheapest piece of poo poo aluminum one you can find

Yeah, the problem isn't ladders, it's lovely ladders.

All ladders have weight ratings, find one that suits your needs and never go cheap on something your life depends on. You can find ladders with "construction" ratings which will hold up to 170kg easily.

Also, there comes a time when you may just have to realise you're too drat fat to do your job anymore and either find a new job or go on a loving diet.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

Many doctors in V-tail Bonanzas

statistically validated stereotypes

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

mostlygray posted:

Ladders have different load ratings, were you using one rated for your weight + the shingles? I'm guessing you should have been using a class IAA ladder with a load rating of 375lb.

Edit: Beaten. I did check my ladder stack and nothing is under IA (300lb). I weigh 190.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tsa posted:

West Virginia is gorgeous. And as the other person said, if you were independently wealthy then gently caress yeah.

Oklahoma I'll confess I've not been to. Kansas is weird in that the northeastern part of the state, flint hills tallgrass prairie area, like near Manhattan, is gorgeous and has beautiful terrain. The rest is poo poo. If Oklahoma is all like the poo poo part of Kansas then I won't contest it's poo poo-ness.

I'm willing to give states a pass if they're pretty. I live in a rural area and hate cities in general so I'm biased in that direction.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

They're called twist locks and are a brilliant bit of design pretty much no one outside the industry knows about but, without which, the modern world would be an incredibly different place.

EDIT: Found the video the gif came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXnEzXAip4
So how does that actually lock the container? Despite doing it like five times in the video, it's not very obvious what it actually does other than move the spinny thing at the top.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

So how does that actually lock the container? Despite doing it like five times in the video, it's not very obvious what it actually does other than move the spinny thing at the top.

the spinny thing on top inserts, when unlocked, into a slot similar to the one you see on the left there, and then when locked twists to overlap the metal lip around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Unless I'm being completely retarded, that spinny thing at the top is the lock. There's just not a container on it to show. It slides sideways through an opening, and then when it twists to lock, it's at a 90 degree angle to the opening it slid through, locking the container in.