Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Hopper posted:

I am pretty sure a 350$ set from a rather old IP won't sell like hotcakes, movie tie in or not unless it is a UCS Star Wars one.

I think you're thinking from the position of someone that actually has to think before spending $350 (me too) but there are still plenty of people who can drop that kind of money on a whim who are also AFOL.

Also, "rather old" might count if we were talking a fairly obscure IP, but it doesn't matter here -- Ghostbusters still has a large amount of mindshare, and it's only going to have more leading up to the reboot/reimagining next year. Hell, Back to the Future still had plenty of traction last month, and it's inarguably a smaller franchise (an extra movie sure, but an unsuccessful animated series and if there were toys it had nothing on the Ghostbusters line). Hell, the Ghostbusters theme song is still played a ton at Halloween and most kids still know where it's from because their 20s to early-30s parents are showing the movies to them.

Is it as popular as Star Wars? No. Is it as popular as Minecraft? No. That doesn't mean nostalgia can't push units.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, but I still think there is a difference between "sell like crazy" think Monster Minifig series and "sell well" in case of 350€ sets.
I mean yeah 350€ is not overcharge for me but you also need space to display it, preferably open.
Red 5 was equally bulky and I always saw it in stock everywhere even though it was "limited" star wars.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I always thought one of the problems of Red 5 was that it doesn't look too much larger than the x-wing that was also on sale at the time, yet then normal x-wing could often be found for 50 euros while red5 was 200.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe from the box it looks that way. It absolutely dwarfs the regular x wing though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
It's been years since I posted in this thread. I could use some advice. Inspired by the release of Fallout 4, I'm trying to build a functioning Lego Pipboy, one that I can dock my iPhone into (and load up the Pipboy app, which works with the game you're playing) and wear it on my arm.

I'm prototyping the functionality of it right now, haven't finalized the design. I'm starting to wonder how I will accomplish making this wearable. The idea I'm working with is having two elastic bands; you'll see the four Technic axles that would hold them. (The one in the bottom left hand corner is a new design for it that I just finished. I don't have enough pieces, though; looks like I need to hit up Bricklink tonight.) The problem is, how do I keep the Pipboy from sliding around my arm? What would keep the face of it to stay where it should? All I can think is to make sure the elastic is a really tight fit, which is obvious. But is there something more I could do with the actual Lego design to help? I've seen somebody else's design, but they created an entire band using Lego, but I don't see that being either comfortable or stable.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

You could make the band out of big technic pieces and maybe put it into the housing part as well, to make the whole thing more stable, and then line parts of the inside with tires to make it grip your arm properly whilst still having a little bit of give.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Instead of rubber you could take a look a watch bracelets. Use the three stud length technic bars and pins. Use a long axle as a fastener.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
It always feels good to get a BrickLink order in the mail.

Now time to convince myself that the Theoden minifig I just ordered was worth it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm late to the party but if there's anyone still on the fence about getting the F-40 I have to say that like others have said before, the pictures really don't do it justice. It is so good looking in person and has a ton of awesome building techniques.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dr. Benway posted:

Instead of rubber you could take a look a watch bracelets. Use the three stud length technic bars and pins. Use a long axle as a fastener.

Or buy a couple of the Lego watches.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

EvilJoven posted:

I'm late to the party but if there's anyone still on the fence about getting the F-40 I have to say that like others have said before, the pictures really don't do it justice. It is so good looking in person and has a ton of awesome building techniques.

drat you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ha-ha gently caress your wallet buy more bricks.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
DIY & Hobbies › Lego Megathread: gently caress Your Wallet, Buy More Bricks

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Chris Knight posted:

DIY & Hobbies › Lego Megathread: gently caress Your Wallet, Buy More Bricks

Second.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

quote:

VIP Members Only

Get your holiday shopping done early! These offers are available exclusively to LEGO VIP Members on November 21:

Double VIP Points on all purchases--one day only!

FREE Limited Edition Gingerbread House with purchases of $99 or more--before it's available to anyone else!

FREE Exclusive 2016 LEGO Wall Calendar with purchases of $75 or more--only at the LEGO Store!

Considering the Doctor Who set is out on general release for December 1st, it's almost certainly going to be available to buy for VIP people that day. :D

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

beato posted:

Second.

Book doesn't say Zero G Juggs, A-

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The gingerbread house looks pretty cool: http://cache.lego.com/r/stores/-/media/brand%20retail/stores/calendar/november/5559-nov2015-cal1.pdf

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Will that house be available as Christmas Vignette for 10$? I only want the Dr. Who set...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dogen posted:

Book doesn't say Zero G Juggs, A-

How do you know? You're looking at the back cover.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Considering the Doctor Who set is out on general release for December 1st, it's almost certainly going to be available to buy for VIP people that day. :D

gently caress. I booked December 1st off work.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So whose design did Lego rip off for the interior of the Firehouse?

I wonder if you can get the Ecto-1 in there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gorgolflox posted:

Huh, no-one's I think. That's really nice.

EDIT: Wait, the pool table should be next to the kitchen. I like that the photo darkroom is there.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 11, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Gorgolflox posted:

The features list for the set said you could

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Where is the tank thing they put all the ghosts in?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, no-one's I think. That's really nice.

EDIT: Wait, the pool table should be next to the kitchen. I like that the photo darkroom is there.

Yeah, I was just making a joke.

Dogen posted:

The features list for the set said you could

Awesome

mitochondritom posted:

Where is the tank thing they put all the ghosts in?

Bottom left under the stairs.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the gold rod for the fire slide unique to this set?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Not really my thing, but looks great. I hope the rest of the Ghostbusters stuff is packed full of details like this. Might have to steal some of the designs though, some of the furniture is very spiffy.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Colander hat confirmed. :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

FadingChord posted:

Colander hat confirmed. :getin:

Vinz Clortho screen confirmed!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
No dancing toaster play feature.

2/10 would not buy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not a fan of the studded floor but that firepole is something else.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

deoju posted:

No dancing toaster play feature.

2/10 would not buy.

http://brickset.com/article/17596/75827-Ghostbusters-Firehouse-Headquarters-official-images

The toaster might not dance, but it's there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Few more images here:

http://imgur.com/a/aM5Ks

I just noticed how they fasten the building shut. Clever, but I don't know that I've ever seen Lego use turntables without the full assembly. Has that made it into an official set before?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Few more images here:

I just noticed how they fasten the building shut. Clever, but I don't know that I've ever seen Lego use turntables without the full assembly. Has that made it into an official set before?

Unexpected Party and Arkham Asylum use the bases in a pretty clever window assembly.

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 11, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gorgolflox posted:

Deffo buying it.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

xzzy posted:

Few more images here:

Simpsons house used a couple on the air conditioner

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
It's too much for me but if they managed to make a 4x6 tile of the Vigo painting that you could flip around to show another 4x6 tile of the Ghosbusters version it changed in to I would be in.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

It's too much for me but if they managed to make a 4x6 tile of the Vigo painting that you could flip around to show another 4x6 tile of the Ghosbusters version it changed in to I would be in.

I smell customizations.

Only problem is I'd absolutely love it to be a Lego-fied version of both paintings and I have approximately zero artistic talent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

gently caress. I booked December 1st off work.

Well, it turns out it was invite only. How come I'm a VIP but never get invites to this sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Well, it turns out it was invite only. How come I'm a VIP but never get invites to this sort of thing?

You need to have spent over a certain amount in the year to qualify.

I got an invite last year but not this year, ironically because there's too much Lego I want to buy so I've not bought much instead.