Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The other day I was joining a WebEx and the sales person from our side was like WHY AREN'T WE USING SKYPE BOB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Let's name two completely different products the same thing, this will never get confusing." -Microsoft marketing dept.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Okay, thanks, guys. I was seeing people complaining about transitioning from Lync to Skype for business ( I know it's basically Lync 2016) so wanted to be sure. I have Skype for Business installed on my home system since I got Office Pro Plus 2016 at a massive discount and just hav eno use for it there.

One of my goon co-workers had a fun issue recently. Customer ordered systems from in bulk 3 years ago. Some got deployed and others got thrown into storage and deployed slowly since. So one system gets opened up 3 years after ordering and found that they had recieved the wrong controllers installed.
Okay, that's fine, but...why did you not check on your inventory before storing it?
I'm waiting of for the cusotmer who stores the system, lets the warranty lapse, and calls us complaining about problems with the order when they finally open it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It was bad when we first made the transition, but that was a long time ago and most of the issues have been ironed out. Our biggest issue now is that it won't give you any big notification that it wasn't able to sign you in so you can be offline and not even know it, which is fixed by emailing that person asking them to check their skype.
It even saves conversation history to outlook properly now. If I had bet money on that being fixed, I would have lost for sure.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
God forbid you use a Mac, since Lync 2013 hasn't been changed to Skype for Business, and it barely works. Mainly you can't add contacts. It even tells you that when you try.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

God forbid you use a Mac, since Lync 2013 hasn't been changed to Skype for Business, and it barely works. Mainly you can't add contacts. It even tells you that when you try.

I'm waiting to try Skype for Business 2016 for mac I've even sign up to test it. Been about a month now. Am not hopeful at this point, is anyone on the trial? Does adding contacts work?

Oblig content- poo poo that's pissing me off - first time running a big hardware replacement and different suppliers quoting prices with tax, without tax, dear god someone standardise this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Mac preview of Skype for Business works with meetings only at the moment. No chat, no phone calls.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CitizenKain posted:

So this week we had the weirdest error I've seen in a long time. At one of our sites, they had grown to the point where we needed to expand their IP range, mainly because they have 1 printer for every 3 people. We have a few more like that, and we moved them from a /24 to a /23 without issue, and haven't had a problem.

About 3 weeks ago, a user was setting up a training room and some of the laptops couldn't get an IP address. They would try for bit, then fail handing out a 169.254 address. If you released/renewed a few times, they would usually connect. Since we just handle the switches and firewalls, there wasn't much we could do, the DHCP forwarder was working fine, dhcp-relay wasn't blocked and we could see traffic getting to the dhcp server. We kicked it back to our Windows group, they looked at it for about a day, then sent it back. We'd again point out that DHCP was fine for everyone else there, and it looked like it was only machines that were dipping into the higher pool that had issues. Ticket goes back, Windows guy sits on it for a few days, then says he's too busy.

We finally get someone onsite and get them to run wireshark for a bit, while connecting and reconnecting. He sends up the PCap file and my coworker starts digging though it. After digging though it, he finds that something is occasionally answering dhcp requests, not all the time, just kinda whenever. He gets the mac address, digs through the switches and finds it. Oddly enough, its showing up on 2 switch ports in 2 different vlans. We get the person onsite to go track it down, and oddly enough, its a video conference system. There are network cables plugged into both ports, only of them is actually used by the system, the other is just kinda there. Tech removes the second cable and go back to testing dhcp, works every time.

I dig into the video system and find that there is an option to do dhcp for the connected cameras, but that feature is off. There is no other option on the system to do anything else with that port. So at some point, someone plugged in both ports and somehow enabled a video conference system to be a lovely dhcp server.

So why don't you have DHCP snooping on the switches? Too cheap?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

The Mac preview of Skype for Business works with meetings only at the moment. No chat, no phone calls.
I just use the web plugin for meetings, and still use Lync 2013.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've not had an issue adding contact from the Global Address book. They even propagate over to Skype for Business on iOS or if I actually launch Skype for Bus on a Windows box. I've even done it the other way around: added a contact in Skype and had it show up in Lync 2013.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I've spent all day staring at 10,000 line excel spreadsheets spin and hang while sorting columns.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigass Moth posted:

I've spent all day staring at 10,000 line excel spreadsheets spin and hang while sorting columns.

Do a VLOOKUP on 50,000 records and listen to your fans kick on full blast for 5 minutes while you're PC is unusable

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
In call manager you can export basically everything. What I want is to export all phone model types, mac addresses, directory numbers, description and IP address on one spreadsheet.

Of course you can't actually get all of these things on one report. The only way to get the IP addresses easily is to copy paste the entire phone device screen. Then you can match those up with the rest of the data in a bulk pull.
Oh, except for the directory numbers because for some reason there is no export for that. You can copy paste thewhole directory number screen andthen match it to your other reports.

Of course if your directory numbers don't have descriptions, which mine don't, there is nothing to match to. Unless you manually go into each phone or dn and write down the associations.

So I have a billing report from another department that lists directory numbers and the Ethernet ports they are in. Great except much of the data is wrong.

Did I mention I have 8000 phones and many more directory numbers? I'm sure there an easier way to do this but I haven't found it.

The reason I'm doing this? They have Cisco emergency responder which has thousands of unsigned phone lines that will not send emergency services to the correct place! So I need to update that information but wait, of course the rest of phones from cer has conflicting info to what is in call manager!

It has not been an exciting day.

Edit:you can export directory numbers with phones, forgive me for my faux pad. I had of course done that but have been overwhelmed juggling so many other things.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 10, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Do a VLOOKUP on 50,000 records and listen to your fans kick on full blast for 5 minutes while you're PC is unusable

VLOOKUP is the wrong tool. I don't know what you are trying to do, but holy poo poo, don't do it through VLOOKUP. Even two MATCH queries inside an INDEX lookup processes faster than a VLOOKUP.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MrMoo posted:

So why don't you have DHCP snooping on the switches? Too cheap?

Its never come up before. This is the first time we've had a problem with DHCP at the switch level, also we thought the problem was on the DHCP server.

Our switches will do it, so we'll probably have to roll that out when we catch up on everything else.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arsten posted:

VLOOKUP is the wrong tool. I don't know what you are trying to do, but holy poo poo, don't do it through VLOOKUP. Even two MATCH queries inside an INDEX lookup processes faster than a VLOOKUP.

List one has

Internal ID for system 1 - My Value

List two has

Internal ID for system 2 - My Value

End result needs to be

Internal ID for System 1 - Internal ID for System 2 - My value

It's actually really fast to just import them both into MySQL as two tables and then do

select t1.internal_id, t2.value, t2.internal_id from sometable t1 join t2 on t2.value = t1.value

or something like that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

List one has

List two has

End result needs to be

It's actually really fast to just import them both into MySQL as two tables and then do

select t1.internal_id, t2.value, t2.internal_id from sometable t1 join t2 on t2.value = t1.value

or something like that
For starters I would stop using " - " as a delimiter.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

anthonypants posted:

For starters I would stop using " - " as a delimiter.

That was my awesome ascii formatting. The real data is just .csv files

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just gotta quote someone to chime in and establish why I'm talking about Lync and Skype in the context of a conversation which is now about Excel buuuut

I know I shouldn't, because the product name is the product name, but I have trouble calling it Skype. In my mind, Skype is the consumer product - it competes with Facebook video and Facetime. Lync is what businesses use. So even now that the enterprise product has been rebranded as Skype, I'm still finding myself calling it Lync.

That is my story.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I texted my ex girlfriend to tell her to delete TeamViewer from her Mac. I installed it to calm her down when backed up files weren't showing up. I had to teach her how to uninstall programs in OSX.

This is what my life is.

Is IT a terminal illness? Do you think they'll let me have an assisted suicide here in CA? Will I have to make a change management ticket first?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

List one has

List two has

End result needs to be

or something like that

If the "My Value" is the same, that's fairly quick to do in Excel, too, without using vlookup.
code:
INDEX(A:B,MATCH("My Value",B:B,0),1)&","&INDEX(C:D,MATCH("My Value",D:D,0),1)
And that'll take half the time that vlookup does.

Edit: It's kinda sad I can do that off the top of my head. :(

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Goddammit what the gently caress is wrong with MS Office (2016), two major issues with practically the same result from the same source.
(Major because our advisors live off our software and need speed, and there aren't any hot spares)

First person reported "problems" to our MSP and they did a repair install which worked for a short while, then I came back in the office and person needs help that all his office programs constantly require activation. So I go over and lo and behold activation goes through but doesn't stick, one reinstall later and the same thing happens, a chat with MS support leads us to do one further reinstall except this time manually punching in the licence key during installation, install goes through and programs get activated, awesome.

Meanwhile another person is completely losing her poo poo because she hasn't been able to work all morning with clients piling up because Outlook completely fails to load, I swing by and for some reason it errors out that it takes to long to load and just closes. Our MSP is already on the job with her, they do a repair install which makes no difference, then launch a system restore and tell me if it fails I'll just have to flatten it, gently caress that time passes and I swing by to see an automated system repair boot screen wondering what the gently caress; the person moved to another desk (along with her IP Phone which the PC piggybacks ethernet off of, whoops remote connection severed). So I take over when it boots back up and figure gently caress it I'll just reinstall this one as well, normal install successful and Outlook works fine on her profile now.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
New clients. :argh:

Our account manager thought this week would be the best time to bring them on, despite us telling them weeks in advance we would be understaffed due to client training/visits. Of course, they come on and it's an absolute disaster. Not only are we struggling because of staffing issues, but also because the "metrics" the client sent us were about a third of what we've been seeing on a daily basis.

In other news, one of our other clients got hit with three different variants of Locky in one afternoon. :shepicide:

Their CIO was absolutely livid about the whole affair and is making every staff member take an online cyber-security course.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Cfo just emailed all execs and IT to ask why some ex employees were in some static district lists at 7 pm at night. I replied that it was most likely mistake, but made no functional difference as the ad accounts were disabled. He is now wanting to debate the merits, as if anyone gives a poo poo but him.

It's my fault for replying to any non-emergency on the weekend. His ramblings can wait till Monday.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why does it take 10 days to be removed from some email list again?

Does some guy only come in on every other Thursday or something to manually delete people?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because that's what the law allows and it means they get 10 more days to spam you.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Some places have a central list. Then they'll send off a portion of that list to some campaign service or software that actually does the sending. When you unsubscribe, you get removed from the central list. But your email may have been pulled for a mailing already.

*note - this is how some places do it, not how they should do it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gounads posted:

Some places have a central list. Then they'll send off a portion of that list to some campaign service or software that actually does the sending. When you unsubscribe, you get removed from the central list. But your email may have been pulled for a mailing already.

*note - this is how some places do it, not how they should do it.

This. All spam campaigns should be happening from a third party unless you are looking to get your domain on more spam blacklists.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

This. All spam campaigns should be happening from a third party unless you are looking to get your domain on more spam blacklists.

We have a large mailing service as one of our Colo Customers. Our Marketing Manager wanted to use them for our marketing until we pointed out the volumes of abuse tickets we receive because of their shoddy practices. For once, sanity triumphed over synergy.

Sadly, we have a very large block of IP space that is probably never going to be clean.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
http://www.foaas.com/

I just found this and it has made my morning much better.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

porkface posted:

If you're in IT and you're being asked to manage Salesforce someone seriously hosed up. It's a sales tool and it needs sales management to define how they want to use it in very clear terms to be successful.

If sales was sold on the benefits but they don't have an expert in a Sales Ops role, they need to contract that to a firm that understands how to train sales people and teach managers new tricks.

Pretty much. I was originally asked to take a look at it and after about 5 minutes I said "this is a job for a rep from Salesforce. Why do you want me to sell this to you?".

I guess they didn't like that answer and gave the job to my coworker instead, who clearly didn't tell them to gently caress off.

Now he's on vacation and the job's come back to me.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just realized HR VP's emails all use Comic Sans as the default font.

Might have to take the rest of the day off and go find some blood pressure medication.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sheep posted:

Might have to take the rest of the day off and go find some blood pressure medication.

Hey we have one of those too except they're in a technical leadership role.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

Why does anybody care

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
In a limited medium such as text, font (and weight, etc.) helps to convey tone. In the case of Comic Sans, that tone is "I'm an idiot who can't choose something more appropriate to a professional environment."

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 13, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

anthonypants posted:

Why does anybody care

I always wonder this myself when I see Comic Sans-related apoplexy.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey we have one of those too except they're in a technical leadership role.
One of our sister department help desk supervisors has this (same department/level as me, but different location). But except her comic sans is also colored light pink. Which shows up just great on white backgrounds.

Which still isn't as bad as the lady next to me that set her default text color as the bright red "alert" color that Lync uses.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

When dealing with someone using an aggressively obnoxious font, I usually counter by going bold, italic, strike through light grey.

Enjoy deciphering that, rear end in a top hat.

Then I c/p their message into the notepad window I always keep open.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The Something Awful Forums > Serious Hardware / Software Crap › More poo poo that pisses you off: Comic Sans

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

poo poo pissing me off: I'm a developer working as a contractor at an Air Force organization. There is this middle management government guy who used to oversee the development team. He's an alright guy but he really likes to hear himself talk and never passes up an opportunity to interject his recommendations based on the wisdom he has gained from years of working for the government. About a year ago he moved to a different position here completely unrelated to the development team. Despite this, he still comes to all of our developer meetings and makes them take twice as long by offering his opinions on things that he doesn't know anything about and that have nothing to do with him or his new job. There is absolutely no reason for him to be at our meetings except that the new government guy doesn't want to tell him not to come anymore.

Every government employee ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off today, my car took a dump on the way in to work, it's been having a few issues and I was waiting until I get paid Wednesday to start swapping out parts on my own time. It's only like $200 in stuff that I was going to do and that would have hopefully fixed it, but we just moved so money is slightly tight and I didn't want to run into a situation... like I'm in now...