Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duz posted:

When you get ready to reveal things, keep Truth & Transparency Foundation (formerly MormonLeaks) in mind, they've expanded beyond Mormonism.

Thank you very much, thoughtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

La Brea Carpet posted:

The Canadian teens who went on a killing spree have been found. Looks like they died in the brush.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2019/08/07/canadian-teens-suspected-killing-spree/

Naming your American children Chynna and British seems kinda cruel

“Hi I’m British”
“Bullshit”
Repeat forever

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i am legitimately looking forward to the canadian killer teens' sob stories coming out, they were a fascinating pair

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Those two yeah, but I meant in general. North of a provincial capital you can turn from famous to Eaten By Bears in like an hour.

And then in the territories lol at rando white dudes going "omg yes i love the outdoors"

Given the area they were in, I'm not surprised they died out there, I'm surprised they found the bodies this quickly/at all. It's always dangerous to be in the wilderness without proper equipment or prep, but where they were it's borderline suicidal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

buddhist nudist posted:

Given the area they were in, I'm not surprised they died out there, I'm surprised they found the bodies this quickly/at all. It's always dangerous to be in the wilderness without proper equipment or prep, but where they were it's borderline suicidal.

What makes that area more dangerous than others?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

"I went on a tour of Dachau, but the tour guide ruined it because they kept talking about the Holocaust."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Slavery is an absolutely unavoidable part of the history of southern plantations and I can't imagine how sheltered you would have to be to think that you wouldn't hear about it on a guided tour. What were you expecting to hear, you daft poo poo? The place was built on human misery. You're not getting cute little stories about happy slaves singing to cartoon loving birds. You want to just look at stuff by yourself and stay sheltered and ignorant, loving wander off on your own and pretend it's just a charming country estate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's filled with higher level monsters. A level 18 and 19 party wouldn't be able to handle it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's post-game content with some very high level encounters

e: gently caress

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Speaking of dying like an idiot in the wilderness didn’t some lady die recently trying to reach the bus the Into the Wild guy died in? Seriously, cold is bad and exposure sucks, people. :mad:

Pirate Radar posted:

Yes, though if I recall right, rather than cold she died trying to cross a flooded stream to get to the bus.

:cripes:

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Aug 9, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Kitfox88 posted:

Speaking of dying like an idiot in the wilderness didn’t some lady die recently trying to reach the bus the Into the Wild guy died in? Seriously, cold is bad and exposure sucks, people. :mad:

Yes, though if I recall right, rather than cold she died trying to cross a flooded stream to get to the bus.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

8 Ball posted:

Naming your American children Chynna and British seems kinda cruel

“Hi I’m British”
“Bullshit”
Repeat forever

I’m going to name my first child Who

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

During this time of year, the wilderness is kind of a soupy swampy mess without much in the way or usable roads or trails make it easy to get lost. Bogs that can look like solid ground until you put your foot through them and a bunch of little creeks and rivers, combined with dangerously cold night temperatures make it easy to freeze to death.

Also plenty of wolves and bears in the area, which while they usually leave people alone, it doesn't take much temptation for a bear to decide your food is his food now and that's bad when you're fugitives in the wilderness.

Kitfox88 posted:

Two people. One was a few weeks ago, the other a few years back. They both drowned trying to cross the river. There have also been a bunch of people who need to be rescued by helicopter because they get trapped on the wrong side of the river when they go out to visit a place where a dude died after he got trapped on the wrong side of the river.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buddhist nudist posted:

During this time of year, the wilderness is kind of a soupy swampy mess without much in the way or usable roads or trails make it easy to get lost. Bogs that can look like solid ground until you put your foot through them and a bunch of little creeks and rivers, combined with dangerously cold night temperatures make it easy to freeze to death.

Also plenty of wolves and bears in the area, which while they usually leave people alone, it doesn't take much temptation for a bear to decide your food is his food now and that's bad when you're fugitives in the wilderness.

Two people. One was a few weeks ago, the other a few years back. They both drowned trying to cross the river. There have also been a bunch of people who need to be rescued by helicopter because they get trapped on the wrong side of the river when they go out to visit a place where a dude died after he got trapped on the wrong side of the river.

Delightful, thank you. I love how Earth is just straight up a deathtrap in most places.

Also bears are terrifying. The MMO jokes are too accurate when it comes to bears because you will never be a high enough level to handle one that wants your food.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

nankeen posted:

i am legitimately looking forward to the canadian killer teens' sob stories coming out, they were a fascinating pair

Weren't they neo-Nazis? I don't really want to hear their sob stories.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Slavery is an absolutely unavoidable part of the history of southern plantations and I can't imagine how sheltered you would have to be to think that you wouldn't hear about it on a guided tour. What were you expecting to hear, you daft poo poo? The place was built on human misery. You're not getting cute little stories about happy slaves singing to cartoon loving birds. You want to just look at stuff by yourself and stay sheltered and ignorant, loving wander off on your own and pretend it's just a charming country estate.
The unnerving part is how many plantations operate tours that are exactly like this. It's all Gone With The Wind whitewashed nonsense about how the rich white people lived in the big house, while slaves are barely mentioned, or referred to as "workers" or "servants."

The Whitney Plantation is a notable exception: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/intelligent-travel/2016/02/01/the-plantation-every-american-should-visit/

One of my favorite things about it is that the guy who owns the property & runs the plantation didn't start out planning to do anything of the sort. He was a wealthy, older white guy who bought the land, and in the course of doing taxes or something like that, he got copies of all the historical legal documents from the plantation. He started reading through the old slave documents and thought "holy poo poo, people need to see this stuff" and the idea for a plantation museum was born.

Not sure why, but one of my favorite origin stories is "random person sees an injustice, then dedicates the rest of their life to fighting it, despite having no personal connection to that issue." Like that shipping clerk who exposed the slave operations in the Belgian Congo. Anyway, more on the Whitney Plantation guy here: https://www.nola.com/news/article_268ecb52-18b1-5110-abfc-b94432aad8d5.html

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This country is full of insane boomers, how hard is it to become a french citizen?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElGroucho posted:

This country is full of insane boomers, how hard is it to become a french citizen?

lol if you think the french are any better.

Vichy has been and still is a nazi hotbed.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Just read this one about an Eritrean man who was the victim of mistaken identity and spent 3 years in an Italian jail on charges of human trafficking.

Meanwhile the actual perp was seen living it up in nightclubs which the prosecution willfully ignored.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/09/medhanie-tesfamariam-berhe-mistaken-identity-facebook-friend-request

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I reserve my venom for the prosecution who did not concede even until the moment of acquittal.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tashilicious posted:

lol if you think the french are any better.

Vichy has been and still is a nazi hotbed.

France has the decency to riot every now and then

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ElGroucho posted:

Yeah, like when there's too many brown people nearby or when women want to wear a headscarf for religious reasons, or when the poor minority sections of town get uppity.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are we really going to compare France's racism to the terrorism shootout capital of the world

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don Gato posted:

Yeah, like when there's too many brown people nearby or when women want to wear a headscarf for religious reasons, or when the poor minority sections of town get uppity.

Which riots are you referring to here

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElGroucho posted:

It's loving awful how the complete start and end point for political engagement for most Americans is just voting, and for most Americans even that is too much.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Kanine posted:

It's loving awful how the complete start and end point for political engagement for most Americans is just voting, and for most Americans even that is too much.

At least in the case of the US, the low voter turnout is in a large part due to a lot of people being aware that their votes mean nothing thanks to Gerrymandering, the Electoral College or other bullshit.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Which riots are you referring to here

None whatsoever, just exaggerating for a joke that made more sense in my head than out loud.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

buddhist nudist posted:

At least in the case of the US, the low voter turnout is in a large part due to a lot of people being aware that their votes mean nothing thanks to Gerrymandering, the Electoral College or other bullshit.

oh yeah im literally an anarchist so i agree voting is a game where you're always going to lose, but it's an illustration that most americans are so disengaged from politics at a personal level that they can't even be bothered to do something so simple

(yes im aware of voter suppression, and how difficult it is to miss work when you're poor to go vote, but those arent the people im referring to here)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Voting is basically a security blanket so people can say "this isn't what I wanted" when the machine continues on its merry way flattening everything in front of it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Voting is basically a security blanket so people can say "this isn't what I wanted" when the machine continues on its merry way flattening everything in front of it.

If voting didn't work, the Republicans wouldn't be working so hard to suppress access to it.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

StrixNebulosa posted:

There was a kid in my province who ran away from home because his Xbox got taken away and he was found dead because he fell out of a tree. Not the same circumstances at all but rural Canada anywhere will gently caress you up if you aren't prepared. It's more that once you leave a metropolitan area or even a small town you're fair play to not only the animals but the world itself and your own idiocy. Canada might be special because we have small-ish densely populated areas and then a whole shitload of wilderness.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

R.L. Stine posted:

There was a kid in my province who ran away from home because his Xbox got taken away and he was found dead because he fell out of a tree. Not the same circumstances at all but rural Canada anywhere will gently caress you up if you aren't prepared. It's more that once you leave a metropolitan area or even a small town you're fair play to not only the animals but the world itself and your own idiocy. Canada might be special because we have small-ish densely populated areas and then a whole shitload of wilderness.

:stare:

Jesus christ, that must have been devastating for the parents...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

StrixNebulosa posted:

:stare:

Jesus christ, that must have been devastating for the parents...

Yeah, hell of a "what if I hadn't" to have in the back of your head. I mean, it's such a dirt-common punishment, you don't expect a dead kid out of it

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I spent two months doing a bunch of original research from Japanese sources to figure out the story behind Kazuo Nagano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=errUJbKZ6fQ

The short of it is: a businessman in Osaka was murdered in his apartment before a crowd of dozens of reporters. None intervened, and they even interviewed the assassins both before and after it happened. It starts to make a bit more sense once you learn how exactly Kazuo made his money.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The Golden Gael posted:

I spent two months doing a bunch of original research from Japanese sources to figure out the story behind Kazuo Nagano:

The short of it is: a businessman in Osaka was murdered in his apartment before a crowd of dozens of reporters. None intervened, and they even interviewed the assassins both before and after it happened. It starts to make a bit more sense once you learn how exactly Kazuo made his money.

Did you make this video? It's great.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

buddhist nudist posted:

Life is an artistic parody.

The Golden Gael posted:

Reminds me of that story where the one rear end in a top hat got shot to death on Main Street in front of dozens of folks and every last one refused to cooperate and just told the cops they didn’t see poo poo.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Reminds me of that story where the one rear end in a top hat got shot to death on Main Street in front of dozens of folks and every last one refused to cooperate and just told the cops they didn’t see poo poo.

Ken McElroy?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Good for those guys

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kitfox88 posted:

Ben Gazzara was excellent in that role.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Did you make this video? It's great.

I did, yeah! I'm finishing up another this weekend, glad you liked the Nagano story because it was so rich and yet surprisingly obscure for what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Bobby Digital posted:

Ken McElroy?

Damndest thing officer