Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

Daggerfall is the only true Elder Scrolls game.

I think Daggerfall with modern graphics (i.e. a procedurally-generated countryside with a lot of empty space, toss in some randomly generated rabbits, wolves, trees, etc.) would be beyond neat. One of the things I dislike about Elder Scrolls games is they're always so *busy*. There's no wilderness, there's a dungeon or castle or something everywhere you turn. I dislike being an adventurer, I like camping and hiking and cooking and swimming in a pond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

No it isn't.

Having a fun experience with a lovely board game doesn't stop it from making a lovely board game, but I am not saying that experience is completely invalid, jesus christ

And if people have fun playing the single player game skyrim, you can see how it would be considered a douchey and elitist thing to go "skyrim is a baby game for babies" :smuggo:

Stop constantly making GBS threads on other people's fun by acting like you're somehow better or more enlightened.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like the thing i was getting at with exploding kittens is this idea people have where they seem to think engagement is this weird one way street

people think a movie is bad because it has "plot holes" which typically can be solved if you actually think about the thing or the popularity around exploding kittens is that it just does all the work for you

like to me that is actual elitism, these weird ideas about art/media is suppose to interact you, and the willingness to not engage with it and the actual form of it

like its perfectly fine to say i had a good experience with something like CAH, but if someone starts talking about what their view as problems with it, that doesn't mean your experience is invalid, but if you want to discuss something you actually need to properly engage with it first

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

I think Daggerfall with modern graphics (i.e. a procedurally-generated countryside with a lot of empty space, toss in some randomly generated rabbits, wolves, trees, etc.) would be beyond neat. One of the things I dislike about Elder Scrolls games is they're always so *busy*. There's no wilderness, there's a dungeon or castle or something everywhere you turn. I dislike being an adventurer, I like camping and hiking and cooking and swimming in a pond.

You should play minecraft.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

And if people have fun playing the single player game skyrim, you can see how it would be considered a douchey and elitist thing to go "skyrim is a baby game for babies" :smuggo:

Stop constantly making GBS threads on other people's fun by acting like you're somehow better or more enlightened.

im making GBS threads on the game not people's fun

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
people's fun can't be shat on

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

skyrim was made BY babies

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
You're making GBS threads on games in a way that implies the players of that game are less sophisticated than you are if they enjoy it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

You're making GBS threads on games in a way that implies the players of that game are less sophisticated than you are if they enjoy it.

the babies thing was a joke, you seem way too focused on that

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

T

Asiina posted:

They are.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

people's fun can't be shat on

This is objectively untrue.

Human beings have feelings that can be affected by others.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
again i have been literally calling every game i have been playing lately a baby game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

This is objectively untrue.

Human beings have feelings that can be affected by others.

i can poo poo on the band fun

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

hi lets ruin every aspect of our games but make it slightly more easier for idiots to play

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

PBS Newshour posted:

but if you want to discuss something

I think this is the problem. When I post that I was annoyed at a bug in skyrim I wasn't opening the door for critiquing skyrim as a game, I was opening the door for people going "that sucks ecco!" or "I have a similar story about a bug ruining my fun" or whatever. When I post that I play CAH with my family every Christmas Eve, I'm not debating whether CAH is a good game or not, I'm telling people I have fun with my family on Christmas Eve.

There's a whole laundry list of things this thread cares a lot about that I don't care for at all, and I care even less when people treat my media consumption as intro to a debate.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am not calling players of skyrim idiots, but saying the game is designed so its easier for idiots to play

i have played skyrim before and not suddenly become an idiot asiina

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

they claim that the skyrim world map was hand crafted but it has all the personality of daggerfall's randomly generated map. morrowind at least had cool things to look at, and find, sometimes. who wants to explore a viking wasteland...not me baby.

the writing is the worst in the series and the combat is, as usual, beyond bad, but on the other hand, skyrim does have one of the finest DBZ mods available for download on the nexus. i shot a kamehameha wave into a bear.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There's no reason to complain about accessibility unless you are being elitist.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I really don't understand how bethesda can get so close to making a good game and then completely fail at basic story stuff. Huh an empty house I wonder what- oh every single occupant kept a dated diary that only has entries about the spooky thing that killed them and died writing about the spooky thing killing them, I'm so spooked at reading about it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you complain about accessibility when it guts out interesting mechanics or that is all the game is, i already explained this

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

moba players are extremely sensitive to this kind of thing, capps, as each follower of one moba 'game' is engaged in an eternal war with all the players of different moba games, and also all the players of the moba game they themselves play. I am playing an incredibly slow game about two lesbians in space.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Then what you're saying is that they made a game that should only be enjoyed by idiots, because smart people will see that they gutted interesting things.

You can't have it both ways.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

Then what you're saying is that they made a game that should only be enjoyed by idiots, because smart people will see that they gutted interesting things.

You can't have it both ways.

checkers

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
actually this is suddenly reminding me of a cool talk richard garield did about luck in games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5Hf7uOu-o

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Checkers can only be enjoyed by machines that have learned the way to draw from the opening position

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

like the thing i was getting at with exploding kittens is this idea people have where they seem to think engagement is this weird one way street

people think a movie is bad because it has "plot holes" which typically can be solved if you actually think about the thing or the popularity around exploding kittens is that it just does all the work for you

like to me that is actual elitism, these weird ideas about art/media is suppose to interact you, and the willingness to not engage with it and the actual form of it

like its perfectly fine to say i had a good experience with something like CAH, but if someone starts talking about what their view as problems with it, that doesn't mean your experience is invalid, but if you want to discuss something you actually need to properly engage with it first

i hate you so much right now. like like like you're having difficulty Understanding Human Beings and you don't see it

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

moba players are extremely sensitive to this kind of thing, capps, as each follower of one moba 'game' is engaged in an eternal war with all the players of different moba games, and also all the players of the moba game they themselves play. I am playing an incredibly slow game about two lesbians in space.

For the record I am elitist as hell about moba games. Not as bad as some people who've played a lot longer than me, but definitely pretty up there.

I think reducing the skillcap does remove core aspects of the game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh yeah, they solved checkers a few years ago didn't they

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I don't need to listen to a 40 minute talk to know that luck is a dump stat

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

oh asiina is doing this for me, oh well she's got this goodnight

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GulagDolls posted:

I don't need to listen to a 40 minute talk to know that luck is a dump stat

its interestnig because garfield goes through and points out that hey there are a ton of different types of luck in games

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

oh asiina is doing this for me, oh well she's got this goodnight

No, take over for me I have to go to bed.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

explain to me how i am saying this by the way

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

No, take over for me I have to go to bed.

you play mobas asiina, i know better than to killsteal

you should tell capps that emoji should be a language and looting is an unacknowledged form of free speech and see whether or not his head explodes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why would that make my head explode

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

why would that make my head explode

for the exact same reason that It's Okay For Someone To Like Exploding Kittens

if you don't see the parallel then you're being willfully obtuse

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
emoji as a language is no different than the visual language of film or whatever

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

explain to me how i am saying this by the way

I honestly don't know how to say it any clearer.

You're saying Skyrim is a game wherein they cut out the more difficult aspects in order for it to appeal to idiots who don't want to be challenged. You specifically say that you'd have no problem if they made it accessible to idiots but still left in more complex gameplay for those who wanted to engage, implying that this gameplay doesn't exist in the current game and that the people who want the greater complexity are both smarter and better than people who find skyrim enjoyable.

You're not just saying you wish the game was better, you're saying the people who enjoy it as it is must be idiots because they can't see that all of the things you find fun are missing from it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Anyway, handing this off to Ernie, I need to get to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

I honestly don't know how to say it any clearer.

You're saying Skyrim is a game wherein they cut out the more difficult aspects in order for it to appeal to idiots who don't want to be challenged. You specifically say that you'd have no problem if they made it accessible to idiots but still left in more complex gameplay for those who wanted to engage, implying that this gameplay doesn't exist in the current game and that the people who want the greater complexity are both smarter and better than people who find skyrim enjoyable.

You're not just saying you wish the game was better, you're saying the people who enjoy it as it is must be idiots because they can't see that all of the things you find fun are missing from it.

this was never about complexity???